• Latest reply 6 years ago by CoOlSlY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170611_164551 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have an Williams Hurricane Pinball for a few years now. Surprised to see we still use it quite "often" (let's say every few weeks lol)... Ran into a few problems that I was able to solve but can't solve this one

It refuses to start when we put the switch to "on"...

Here's a screenshot of what shows, I have circled the lights that goes solid "on" and those that doesn't lit. Usually the display shows properly, now it's all garbage!

Any help is welcomed, trying here before call the repair guy!

Thank you

20170611_164551 (resized).jpg20170611_164551 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

You've got no +5 volts it looks like.

#3 6 years ago

What kind of ribbon cable is that coming off the display board? It looks like a hard drive cable from a computer. Are you sure that cable is good?

#4 6 years ago

Thank's for your replies,

KenLayton: The +5volts would be from the PS inside the pinball or from a connector in this panel?

kevmad: It's indeed a floppy drive cable, the older cable was pinched and it failed I would say 2-3 years ago but yes, it's working perfectly

#5 6 years ago

You can safely cut the excess off the floppy drive cable -- in fact I'd recommend it before someone attempts to plug the first (A drive into that board with it's rolled pair.

Double check the short ribbon cable in the lower left, and your fuses on the right hand side.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

You've got no +5 volts it looks like.

I don't know if it can help but here's the LED's descriptions and status taken from my original 1991 manual!

CPU Board
*D19-D21, Normally ON ***It's OFF***
D20, Normally OFF -- It's OFF

Power Driver Board
LED 1, +12vdc Switch Circuit, Normally ON -- It's ON
*LED 2, High/Low Line Voltage Sensor, Normally ON ***It's OFF***
LED 3, High/Low Line Voltage Sensor, Normally OFF -- It's OFF
*LED 4, +5vdc, Digital Circuit, Normally ON ***It's OFF***
LED 5, +20vdc, Flashlamp Circuit, Normally ON -- It's ON
LED 6, +18vdc, Lamps Circuit, Normally ON -- It's ON
LED 7, +12vdc, Power Circuit (motors relays etc.), Normally ON -- It's ON

Just need some more help on where to look for this High/Low Line Voltage Sensor that is supposed to be ON and where to find the +5vdc. I checked all the cables and fused so far.

Thank's again everybody for helping!

#7 6 years ago

Check F113 fuse with a voltage meter (pinball on) make sure you are getting voltage on both sides of the fuse. The 5v supply is down and your cpu board is dead. Get that up first. The 5v supply is the digital supply for all the chips on the cpu board.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Check F113 fuse with a voltage meter (pinball on) make sure you are getting voltage on both sides of the fuse. The 5v supply is down and your cpu board is dead. Get that up first. The 5v supply is the digital supply for all the chips on the cpu board.

I checked every fuse on the power board for two things: Continuity, all of them are good but I have no voltage on any of them when testing in DC so I guess either power is not coming from the power supply (but why would the LCD show garbage and illuminate and also some of the leds?) or a cable is not ok but in the manual, the power board has very little information about all the connectors.

#9 6 years ago

I feel stupid but to test directly from the power supply (the yellow/yellow-white 9 pins connector who provides 6.8vac), where would I ground myself? I have no reading from the 6.8v, nor from the 100v (violet)

#10 6 years ago

There will be a ground lead in the harness or a return for each of the power leads.

4 months later
#11 6 years ago

FINALLY, found that the LM323 was the culprit... Ordered from China, both of them were not showing anything on the VOUT...

Now, new problem... Everything has been resetted and the "ENTER" button on the front panel doesn't work so I can't change any settings. Any ideas of what to check? I check on the connector inside, I found the pin, I also found the pin that goes to the CPU board but then, the key doesn't work, any idea of the troubleshooting steps for this

Thanx again

#12 6 years ago

I posted another thread since it was a different problem, please do not reply in this post. The problem that solved this post problem was changing the LM323.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 40.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-pinball-doesnt-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.