(Topic ID: 170387)

Hurricane Matthew - Who else is riding it out?

By mcluvin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 223 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SteveO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matthew-1-7-1-345x266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
    CuMWhr6XYAIJMyW (resized).jpg
    back yard 5 oclock (resized).jpg
    resin room (resized).jpg
    well (resized).jpg
    laser lounge (resized).jpg
    pool 1 (resized).jpg
    backyard 350 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    at201614_5day (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Small-Inflatable-Boat-with-CE-China (resized).jpg
    There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

We are on a small island, and the causeway has flooded. Water has gone up 8 inches since last post. Starting to get into garage, very bad.

Better get to sandbaging ..... seriously be safe bc u have a long way to go

#152 7 years ago

We are on a small island, and the causeway has flooded. Water has gone up 8 inches since last post. Starting to get into garage, very bad.

That sucks dude be safe and hope it does get to bad.

#153 7 years ago

I am shocked how fast that is rising...be safe!

#154 7 years ago

Are you in a single story house? If so, do you have access to higher ground? If not, this appears to be a life-threatening situation and you need to call for help (heli-evac if road is not passable). Keep us updated and think smart.

#155 7 years ago

Is this rise from rain or tidal surge ? Be safe!

#156 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Is this rise from rain or tidal surge ?

Rain, tide, and storm surge. It's been all over the news with plenty of warning. Hope everybody stays safe and took the necessary precautions.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Is this rise from rain or tidal surge ? Be safe!

Not sure, I would guess the rain. We can tell which way the water is going from the floating stuff. LOL Had no idea how much floating stuff we had in our yard.

We will be safe, not to worried about that, just a lot of work coming. Hope water does not get to the cars.

It looks like the hurricane is a few miles further off shore then was expected, that is good. At this point, if I had to do it again, I would stay. A lot of little things you don't think about. We forgot to move the propane tanks, forgot we had a kayak behind one of the out buildings till it floated away. Been wading out in the yard to retrieve a lot of stuff.

And hey, never seen fish in my backyard till now, that will be a funny story in about 12 hours, LOL

Thanks for the good wishes.

#158 7 years ago

Jacksonville has been mostly immune to hurricane damage in the past. Looks like it's getting pretty gnarly there this time.

CuMWhr6XYAIJMyW (resized).jpgCuMWhr6XYAIJMyW (resized).jpg

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Are you in a single story house? If so, do you have access to higher ground? If not, this appears to be a life-threatening situation and you need to call for help (heli-evac if road is not passable). Keep us updated and think smart.

Emergency vehicles don't come out during a hurricane.
    You're stuck where you are until after it passes.

#160 7 years ago

Not sure, I would guess the rain. We can tell which way the water is going from the floating stuff. LOL Had no idea how much floating stuff we had in our yard.
    We will be safe, not to worried about that, just a lot of work coming. Hope water does not get to the cars.
    It looks like the hurricane is a few miles further off shore then was expected, that is good. At this point, if I had to do it again, I would stay. A lot of little things you don't think about. We forgot to move the propane tanks, forgot we had a kayak behind one of the out buildings till it floated away. Been wading out in the yard to retrieve a lot of stuff.
    And hey, never seen fish in my backyard till now, that will be a funny story in about 12 hours, LOL
    Thanks for the good wishes.

Right now, the report of stormsurge is about 11 feet (and that is with it being off of the coast).... Just be super safe and ready, if you haven't been through a hurricane before, be prepared for more water than you have ever seen before. Good luck man, you sound like you have plenty of room for dry land (or are just confident you are a good swimmer? ).... Seriously, be safe.

#161 7 years ago

Scary stuff. Hope everything will be ok.

#162 7 years ago

I think we, the entire area is getting lucky, because at this point if every thing was normal, the tide were be going out, getting lower. So with the tide going out and the water raising, that is pretty amazing to me.

I have lived here 16 years, and this is about 3 feet higher then I have every seen it.

#164 7 years ago

Be safe and entertain us with pics when you can.

#165 7 years ago

I think we, the entire area is getting lucky, because at this point if every thing was normal, the tide were be going out, getting lower. So with the tide going out and the water raising, that is pretty amazing to me.
    I have lived here 16 years, and this is about 3 feet higher then I have every seen it.

If you are able to stay safe, taking pictures for memories will help the situation a little. To see something like this evolve right in front of you is quite incredible.

Growing up in the Cape Canaveral area, we had lots of small drainage ditches strewn througout the neighborhoods. I remember very vividly during hurricane Andrew (which we didnt get the winds from, but got lots of rain) water bringing Alligators out of the drainage ditches and into our yard, just feet from our doors. Super fun stuff.

#166 7 years ago

parts of Jacksonville set storm surge records.

#167 7 years ago

My house is about 2 feet higher then the water, even though we are a one story, our house is about 3 feet above the ground. The water is still rising, but the rate of rise is slowing. Pinball machines are safe.

#168 7 years ago

Inquiring minds want to know... will this wipe out the Zika? Oh apparently:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/10/07/will-hurricane-matthew-stop-zika.html
    the answer is yes.

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

With TS Nicole sitting out there I don't think it's gonna happen.

I totally ready "TS Nicole" in a way I don't think was intended. Made me LOL tho

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Katrina did all of it's damage because the city of New Orleans is below sea level. Don't get me started on how little common sense is involved in building a major metropolitan level at BELOW the level of ocean.

Katrina was a Mississippi storm. Don't let the media fool you into thinking NO was in the bullzeye. NO was a problem because the state gov didn't fund proper levy design. I'd wager they still haven't as the politicians took whatever money and embezzled it.
    Yes, it's sad that NO flooded... but the damage to the MS coast was much worse!

Sorry; just pisses me off when people thing Katrina == New Orleans.

#171 7 years ago

Water has gone up about 6 inches since last post. Getting close to the pool.

Should have drained the pool! Might sound kind of silly but I bet it would have helped some.

Hang in there!

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Inquiring minds want to know... will this wipe out the Zika? Oh apparently:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/10/07/will-hurricane-matthew-stop-zika.html
    the answer is yes.

The last two times I was in Fl. was after hurricanes blew through and there were hardly any mosquitos around.

#173 7 years ago

Things to consider:
    life jackets accessible if needed?
    access to attic if too much water enters the house?
    Sorry. Just a bit concerned for you! I'll stop acting like your nagging parents now .

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

awesome. now I don't have to worry and should be able to enjoy my vacation

except for the second landfall now forecasted mid next week. :O

#175 7 years ago

Local news doesn't want to mention a return visit. Feel sorry the Bahamas. My power is back up, cranking the a/c to get the humidity out.

#176 7 years ago

Water has dropped about 4 inches, so over all I feel pretty lucky, could have been a lot worse.

#177 7 years ago

Water has dropped about 4 inches, so over all I feel pretty lucky, could have been a lot worse.

Awesome!

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Things to consider:
    life jackets accessible if needed?
    access to attic if too much water enters the house?
    Sorry. Just a bit concerned for you! I'll stop acting like your nagging parents now .

I guess they don't call you lanceSTORM for nuthin'

#179 7 years ago

Great! Hopefully it trails off into the Atlantic rather than the loop back model.

#180 7 years ago

Finally passed through here (Jacksonville ) with no problems. Feeling sorry for some of the people on the St. Johns river.

#181 7 years ago

Sitting in the hotel watching the TWC circus won't change anything, so I'm headed to The Palmetto Pinball club for brews and pinball with the guys.

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Sitting in the hotel watching the TWC circus won't change anything, so I'm headed to The Palmetto Pinball club for brews and pinball with the guys.

I've been to Tybee Island. Cool beach town. You are out there in the middle of all of it, aren't you?

#183 7 years ago

Glad to hear this! Is your pool full of mud or did it stay fairly clean?

#185 7 years ago

It looks like there is some decent surf but a little too choppy to want to paddle out. Every once in a while there's a real nice peak.

#186 7 years ago

Glad to see the water went down. Stay safe.

#187 7 years ago

Hope all is good. No update in 8 hours.

#188 7 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

Hope all is good. No update in 8 hours

I think that the true surge had not really reached him as of yet. Fear for the worst for all these people who chose to stay. Praying they come out unscathed after it is all said and done.

#189 7 years ago

I'm 3 miles from the ocean and there were some light branches down and no standing water in Port St. Lucie. It was an 8 beer hurricane, some pinball, no power loss, thank God. Headed to Disney for our anniversary this morn. Sorry for those less fortunate, north Florida looked like it took a beating.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

Hope all is good. No update in 8 hours.

Thanks for the concern.

Everything is good. We just got power on a few minutes ago, still waiting on water. The water dropped about 2 feet in the 3 hours after my lost post, pretty close to normal now. Winds were much weaker then other storms we have been through here. Really surprised on the water, never seen that before. Just got water into my 3 outbuildings, which is a minor issue. Only got into garage a few inches, then it stopped. Things could have been a lot worse, so I am pretty happy.

#191 7 years ago

Storm has claimed 10 lives here in the states, thank god we had adequate warning for people to prepare.

#192 7 years ago

Glad it stay off the coast of Florida, but sorry for y'all in GA and SC. Does anyone know how the new Silverball Museum in Delray fared?
    Looks like the effects down that way were minimal. I'd like to get there and check it out. Sounds like it's way better than the one in NJ.

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I think that the true surge had not really reached him as of yet. Fear for the worst for all these people who chose to stay. Praying they come out unscathed after it is all said and done.

That's what I was worried about.

Thanks for the concern.
    Everything is good. We just got power on a few minutes ago, still waiting on water. The water dropped about 2 feet in the 3 hours after my lost post, pretty close to normal now. Winds were much weaker then other storms we have been through here. Really surprised on the water, never seen that before. Just got water into my 3 outbuildings, which is a minor issue. Only got into garage a few inches, then it stopped. Things could have been a lot worse, so I am pretty happy.

Very glad to hear this.

#194 7 years ago

Matthew has left Savannah and I'm at home under mandatory curfew. Personally, we fared well. Power has been out for about 24 hours out, had tons of debris and a down tree, and a lousy night's sleep. Others were not so lucky. Many large trees down, some on homes. Some wind damage. I haven't heard too much from Tybee and the Islands but word is they probably had flooding issues. I know of at least 1 man killed in his home on Isle of Hope by a tree falling on his beedroom. We are thankful we did so well. Spent the afternoon cutting up trees and hauling off debris.

Now I'm just hopeful for power to return. Over 200000 homes in our country are without power. I own a restaurant and I've got several thousand dollars of inventory that will probably all be going in to the dumpster tomorrow if we're still out. So now we wait.

Oh and now the boredom is really setting in!

Hope the rest of you coastal guys do as well.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from stepside:

Personally, we fared well.

That's great news! Some flooding, down trees, and roof damage on Tybee Island, but overall MUCH better than expected considering the Hurricane passed with 97mph gusts during the 1am high tide, resulting in a record breaking 12.5 foot tide which is pretty high, considering the only road/causeway to Tybee floods at a 9.5 foot tide.

A friend checked on my house and texted 'u good'. I feel relieved, but I'm anxious to check for myself.

Chatham county police are not letting any residents return yet. Might be Tuesday before that occurs?!? The news said 25% of the county residents hunkered down and stayed, and are under a sundown to sunrise curfew.

#196 7 years ago

Well, oak island nc check in. In laws say we lost all the dunes, but they did their job and saved all the houses and it looks like only minor damage

IMG_1880 (resized).JPGIMG_1880 (resized).JPG

#197 7 years ago

Unfortunately the Outer Banks, NC looks to be getting hit fairly hard. Why would someone leave a Corvette there like that? :

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2016/10/09/matthew-brushes-hatteras-79-mph-gust-clocked-at-duck/

matthew-1-7-1-345x266 (resized).jpgmatthew-1-7-1-345x266 (resized).jpg

#198 7 years ago

Saw this crazy video too. This beach access and pantry is a short walk from our house.

https://www.facebook.com/281224177920/videos/10154043446147921/

#199 7 years ago

Don't understand why the Hilton head residents had to wait so long to simply go home. Residents will remember and will have a good reason to stay put the next time a storm hits

#200 7 years ago

hope everyone is okay !

There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-matthew-who-else-is-riding-it-out/page/4?hl=emagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.