(Topic ID: 170387)

Hurricane Matthew - Who else is riding it out?

By mcluvin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 223 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SteveO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matthew-1-7-1-345x266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
    CuMWhr6XYAIJMyW (resized).jpg
    back yard 5 oclock (resized).jpg
    resin room (resized).jpg
    well (resized).jpg
    laser lounge (resized).jpg
    pool 1 (resized).jpg
    backyard 350 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    at201614_5day (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Small-Inflatable-Boat-with-CE-China (resized).jpg
    There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 7 years ago

The advantage of being in the path of a hurricane is you know it's coming and have plenty of time to prepare and decide what to do.

On the west coast, earthquakes just happen. Rock n roll baby!

#53 7 years ago

Damn! Is nowhere safe? Earthquakes and nut job politicians over here. Hurricanes over there. Maybe the Midwest is the place to be. Or Canada?

Good luck to everyone in the danger zone.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Send it west... we need rain.
    Seriously, everyone be safe! It's the first big one on the coast in a while. Too easy to not take it seriously.

I'm further west than you but also further north. We don't need rain at all. We need some dry weather to get all of the corn in.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

All bark, only a little bite. Thats my guess. The media loves to blow it out of proportion IMO. If I was on the coast I would take precautions. But I still doubt anyone sees even a gust of 100mph+. Let alone sustained winds of 140+ East side of the storm is usually on the less chaotic side too.
    With that said, winds of 50+, High tidal surge and lots of rain can still do plenty of damage. Losing power sucks the big one too. Not making light of storm, just wish the weather forecasters would be more honest.
    Last I saw Nassau had a max gust of 92. West side, right on the wall of the eye.

Agree. Media loves to hype things, but sometimes that is not a bad thing. Their predictive models have gotten better over the years, but it is still a huge gamble as to what will happen. Hurricanes do not need to hit directly to cause massive damage *cough* Katrina *cough*.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Damn! Is nowhere safe? Earthquakes and nut job politicians over here. Hurricanes over there. Maybe the Midwest the place to be. Or Canada?

The northeast is pretty safe.

Very few natural disasters, low seismic activity, no volcanos, dangerous/poisonous critters aren't too prevalent. The only thing is that winters can be long.

#57 7 years ago

If ANY one needs me to babysit their pins please let me know, I'll send you my shipping address

All joking aside hopefully everyone is safe out there! Just saw the news a few min ago and they are continuing their mass evacuation.

#58 7 years ago

Just got back from checking on the in-laws. That should be my last outing for the next couple days. Just gonna cross my fingers the wind speed projections don't increase for my area and we should be good.

I should have snapped a couple pics along the way. Passed a business that taped their huge windows with painter's tape. Don't think that's gonna work too well. Hopefully it won't matter.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I lived in Broward for Andrew. What a difference 50 miles made. Only had about 50-70 mph winds

Right, Bob? I didn't even shutter up for this since i am so far south.

#60 7 years ago

Riding it out about 20 miles from the coast. Moved everything inside. Hoping for no or short power outage. Lost it for three days a few years ago in a tropical storm.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

Lost it for three days a few years ago in a tropical storm.

After suffering through prolonged power outages in the 2004 hurricane season, I will always have a generator and a window AC. It makes such a difference in your comfort level. I should just pony up for a whole house unit, but I'm a cheap bastard. This will be the first time I've needed the generator in 10 years and I will be happy as a clam if I end up not needing it.

#62 7 years ago

Good news, it seems to be taking a more north movement. Maybe we will not get the eye skirting the coast.

#63 7 years ago

Hope everyone stays safe! Gotta preserve those pins as well!

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Good news, it seems to be taking a more north movement. Maybe we will not get the eye skirting the coast.

Yeah I saw that too

#65 7 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#66 7 years ago

Anybody want to borrow this?

Small-Inflatable-Boat-with-CE-China (resized).jpgSmall-Inflatable-Boat-with-CE-China (resized).jpg

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure, but why do I need the boat too?

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Can I see an end of stroke pic first? Her stroke, not yours.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Those flotation devices should provide relief through the upcoming storm.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The northeast is pretty safe.
    Very few natural disasters, low seismic activity, no volcanos, dangerous/poisonous critters aren't too prevalent. The only thing is that winters can be long.

Blizzards. Lake effect snow 10' deep in Rochester. Piles of nor'easter snow in Boston til July. And you're still not immune to hurricanes (Sandy).

#71 7 years ago

Seriously, I know you guys on the east coast are used to hurricanes, but I was just watching the news and besides the wind and the rain they are talking about a possible 10 foot storm surge. If you are anywhere near the coast, please be careful.

A history lesson about the damage a large surge can do. Besides what happened in New Orleans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

#72 7 years ago

Heres the animals getting ready........The Rescue Squad......

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#73 7 years ago

I doubt any of you are old enough to remember the category 5 that hit Fla. in 1935, but like I said please be careful.

#74 7 years ago

Damn! Is nowhere safe? Earthquakes and nut job politicians over here. Hurricanes over there. Maybe the Midwest the place to be. Or Canada?

WI has the largest natural aquifer, no earthquakes, rarely see tornadoes, no hurricanes, amazing weather for 9 months of the year.

Best part is CoL is pennies compared to elsewhere.

Good luck to all my pinheads in FL. Stay safe.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

WI has the largest natural aquifer, no earthquakes, rarely see tornadoes, no hurricanes, amazing weather for 9 months of the year.
    Best part is CoL is pennies compared to elsewhere.

But most of all WI has....

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#76 7 years ago

and WI beer!

#77 7 years ago

Tomorrow will be the rough day for most of Florida, Saturday for Georgia & South Carolina.

New forecast models just came out and this one shows it strong through Florida, but weakening more as it gets to SC.

at201614_5day (resized).pngat201614_5day (resized).png

#78 7 years ago

Woo Hoo, Palm Beach County is now out of the "Cone of Doom"

#79 7 years ago

Riding it out, down the street from the Theme Parks. hoping for a whole lot of nothing....

#80 7 years ago

Damn! Is nowhere safe? Earthquakes and nut job politicians over here. Hurricanes over there. Maybe the Midwest is the place to be. Or Canada?

I don't know man Trump and Hillary are debating less than a mile from where I work on sunday and we just killed a cop in St. Louis county. I work in a restaurant and feed alot of cops and they are freaking out more so than usual. I don't want to be here this week.
    Good luck everyone.

#81 7 years ago

Our main mfg plant is just outside Savannah, GA. We'll be closed tomorrow.
    Most of my friends that work there also live there. I'm Worried for them
    and others near Matthew. Hope it goes East and all be safe.

#82 7 years ago

Gonna ride it out with 9 machines running. Will switch to just one after power is lost. I'm thinking Sky Jump.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Heres the animals getting ready........The Rescue Squad......

Kinda funny, in both pics the one on the right is exceptional, just in very different ways

#84 7 years ago

The one on the left is my type.

#85 7 years ago

I'm almost to SC right now. Drove from SE WI to see my first Nascar race in Charlotte on Saturday. Whether it's a race or a hurricane... it'll be an adventure.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

The little one on the arm of the couch? Nice!

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Kinda funny, in both pics the one on the right is exceptional, just in very different ways

You mean the one that looks to have a black eye?

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

That one looks nice too.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

You mean the one that looks to have a black eye?

I wasn't really looking at her eyes, but yeah sure. Tight body and tits don't look like a tangerine shoved under the skin.

So that black eye kills it for you huh? Ha!

#90 7 years ago

After 3 hours of nothing just got my first blast of wind and rain.

#91 7 years ago

Here's some Scorpions from your friends on the west coast.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Gonna ride it out with 9 machines running. Will switch to just one after power is lost. I'm thinking Sky Jump.

Dude, be safe! My co-worker is a little north of Melbourne, and about 2 miles from the coast. I've been trying to convince him all day to get out of there, but he won't listen. I hope I get to talk to him again. This looks real bad.

#93 7 years ago

I've got a friend riding it out in Port Orange a couple miles from the coast. He assured me he is not staying at the beach house right on the coast. Ha! Told him to give me a yell if he needs to move a little further inland. I hope these Weather Channel wind speed predictions aren't BS. They show Daytona not looking much worse than Deland which doesn't seem right?

#94 7 years ago

Ones a Pig!

See above pic

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

So that black eye kills it for you huh? Ha!

No, was just worried she may have an abusive partner.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ones a Pig!
    See above pic

And one is a "Spinner".

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

No, was just worried she may have an abusive partner.

Well I certainly hope not. I suspect she was fighting with one of the other 3 over some Pinside dude....

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Agree. Media loves to hype things, but sometimes that is not a bad thing. Their predictive models have gotten better over the years, but it is still a huge gamble as to what will happen. Hurricanes do not need to hit directly to cause massive damage *cough* Katrina *cough*.

Katrina did all of it's damage because the city of New Orleans is below sea level. Don't get me started on how little common sense is involved in building a major metropolitan level at BELOW the level of ocean.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Katrina did all of it's damage because the city of New Orleans is below sea level. Don't get me started on how little common sense is involved in building a major metropolitan level at BELOW the level of ocean.

Just because it gets wiped off the map every forty years is no reason to move it.

LTG : )

#100 7 years ago

What's everyone's backup power source? I'm using golf cart batteries, inverters and a generator to charge the batteries.

There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-matthew-who-else-is-riding-it-out/page/2?hl=cdonnerusmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.