(Topic ID: 170387)

Hurricane Matthew - Who else is riding it out?

By mcluvin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 223 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SteveO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matthew-1-7-1-345x266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
    CuMWhr6XYAIJMyW (resized).jpg
    back yard 5 oclock (resized).jpg
    resin room (resized).jpg
    well (resized).jpg
    laser lounge (resized).jpg
    pool 1 (resized).jpg
    backyard 350 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    at201614_5day (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Small-Inflatable-Boat-with-CE-China (resized).jpg
    There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm about 25 miles inland so shouldn't be too awful. Need to get my generator running tomorrow otherwise I think I'm good. Might need to buy some more beer.

matthew (resized).PNGmatthew (resized).PNG

#2 7 years ago

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane-central/matthew-2016/AL142016
    Doesn't look good for Bahamas, and Atlantic coast side of FL/GA/SC/NC.

#3 7 years ago

I worry for the pins...oh and I guess you guys and gals too.

#4 7 years ago

I'm about 25 miles inland as well, so we are sticking around.

They are doing lane reversals at 3pm today on our main highway, I-26. All lanes will be going west to facilitate evacuations.

#5 7 years ago

Good luck fellow coastal pinheads! We're still waiting to see what develops here in Savannah.

#6 7 years ago

Good luck , be save!

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from stepside:

Good luck fellow coastal pinheads! We're still waiting to see what develops here in Savannah.

If you need gas or propane, get it now. Most of our local stations are out.

Wonder if this one is gonna loop and come back around? It's happened before.....

loop (resized).PNGloop (resized).PNG

#8 7 years ago

Looks like Central Florida could get nailed!

Costco was madness all day! Lines around the block for gas, and lines to the back of the store!

Well, I got my meds, flashlights, and candles!

Games are prepped. I found a way to save them from flooding!!!

....and the candles are great, I can play in the dark!

gb float (resized).jpggb float (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

Floaties! New Mod!

#10 7 years ago

Wish I was closer!

11677681 (resized).jpg11677681 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Watch this model. Matthew doing a loop/uturn and hitting Florida twice.

http://www.weather5280.com/models/gfs/00z/conus/gfs-wind-speed-mslp?hour=168

#12 7 years ago

Seriously. I was surfing Jax Beach in Fl. when Ernesto and Florence hit ten years or so ago and it was epic!

#13 7 years ago

Could do it! Surf was insane at Cocoa.

Im confident Ill have flooding at my brothers there.

Good time to go out with a metal detector!

#14 7 years ago

We are 5 miles from the coast, near Jacksonville, so we are a bit concerned. Hoping it goes more East in the next 24 hours.

#15 7 years ago

It's the only time surf is any good there. We are spoiled on the west coast.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

Watch this model. Matthew doing a loop/uturn and hitting Florida twice.
    http://www.weather5280.com/models/gfs/00z/conus/gfs-wind-speed-mslp?hour=168

I can only imagine the flooding on the east coast of Florida if that loop-back model comes to fruition.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Costco was madness all day! Lines around the block for gas, and lines to the back of the store!

Costco is a madhouse on a normal day. You are a brave soul to go there for a hurricane shopping frenzy.

#18 7 years ago

Had to park across the street! no lines for pain meds!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

We are 5 miles from the coast, near Jacksonville, so we are a bit concerned. Hoping it goes more East in the next 24 hours.

With TS Nicole sitting out there I don't think it's gonna happen. I wouldn't ride it out just 5 miles from the coast.

#20 7 years ago

Not only are we 5 miles from the coast, we are on a low level lot that is in the flood zone, on the river. Watching updates every time one comes out.

Just keep thinking, go to the East, go to the East.

#21 7 years ago

Send it west... we need rain.

Seriously, everyone be safe! It's the first big one on the coast in a while. Too easy to not take it seriously.

#22 7 years ago

My mugs for Expo shipped out ahead of the hurricane.

They are safe.

LTG : )

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

My mugs for Expo shipped out ahead of the hurricane.
    They are safe.
    LTG : )

My mug is safe and secure as well.... whew...

IMG_2174 (resized).JPGIMG_2174 (resized).JPG

#24 7 years ago

Not only are we 5 miles from the coast, we are on a low level lot that is in the flood zone, on the river. Watching updates every time one comes out.

Move the pins now! We can't risk it

#25 7 years ago

Think this is gonna be like David back in 79 only much more powerful. I remember that night vividly and that was just a cat 1. Granted I was only 9.

#26 7 years ago

Please everyone be careful and stay safe!

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from stepside:

I visited Savannah in 2012,lovely place. It made me think of Jekyll Island too a bit further south.

May any damage to people or property be absolutely minimal.Stay safe.

#28 7 years ago

Looks like track will be further west and storm will ride up i95 as a cat 4 .. be very careful everyone with this dangerous storm

#29 7 years ago

This storm is not the norm so far as hurricanes we see each year, I would not risk riding it out within 10-15 miles of the coast. Property can be replaced, lives cannot.

#30 7 years ago

Dantina,
    Is your place 2-story? Hav u cleared valuables out of lower level? Storm surge could be a problem.
    Are there any large trees that could fall on house and damage roof?

#31 7 years ago

This son of a bitch is going to destroy everything, i am moving to TNN hell with this shit, wondering every year if were going to whacked.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

This son of a bitch is going to destroy everything, i am moving to TNN hell with this shit, wondering every year if were going to whacked.

Are u rideing it out? Cat 4 now and your area cld get swiped with eye wall....b safe and hope everything works out for u and family

#33 7 years ago

"Feel the Power of the Wind!" - Whirlwind

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Are u rideing it out? Cat 4 now and your area cld get swiped with eye wall....b safe and hope everything works out for u and family

I have to ride it out. This will be the worse Hurricane i have ever been in. I live about 16 miles from the coast but this bitch is going to tear up my RV, Boat, ect just know place to hide them.

#35 7 years ago

Out of the cone Here!!

IMG_8391 (resized).pngIMG_8391 (resized).png

#36 7 years ago

All bark, only a little bite. Thats my guess. The media loves to blow it out of proportion IMO. If I was on the coast I would take precautions. But I still doubt anyone sees even a gust of 100mph+. Let alone sustained winds of 140+ East side of the storm is usually on the less chaotic side too.

With that said, winds of 50+, High tidal surge and lots of rain can still do plenty of damage. Losing power sucks the big one too. Not making light of storm, just wish the weather forecasters would be more honest.

Last I saw Nassau had a max gust of 92. West side, right on the wall of the eye.

#37 7 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#38 7 years ago

Be safe. I was in Florida when Charley struck. Never seen anything like it.

We convinced a local pizza place to deliver very us some pizzas and the guy delivered them on a moped ! He got one hell of a tip !

#39 7 years ago

I'm riding it out in West Palm Bch 15 miles from the coast
    House is shuttered up, car and truck are in the garage, generator is working and have 20 gallons of gas for it.
    This is going to be a rough time, stay safe and dry everybody

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

All bark, only a little bite. Thats my guess. The media loves to blow it out of proportion IMO. If I was on the coast I would take precautions. But I still doubt anyone sees even a gust of 100mph+. Let alone sustained winds of 140+ East side of the storm is usually on the less chaotic side too.
    With that said, winds of 50+, High tidal surge and lots of rain can still do plenty of damage. Losing power sucks the big one too. Not making light of storm, just wish the weather forecasters would be more honest.
    Last I saw Nassau had a max gust of 92. West side, right on the wall of the eye.

I grew up on The Isle of Palms off the coast of Charleston. I was 12 when Hurricane Hugo wiped us off the map. This is a Hugo sized storm.

That being said we are riding it out less than a mile from the Charleston Harbor. My step father is in his final moments of brain cancer, so we are not evacuating. The models show a weaker storm by the time it gets to us...you never know.

I agree about the media hype train, sometimes these storms are actually as portrayed or worse. Be safe everyone.

#41 7 years ago

Had a Tornado in my back yard from Charlie. Took down a mighty flourishing young oak through
    our roof. My mother lost her house, whole roof gone, so were 2 neighbors.
    12 days without power!

Dont want to do that again!

Luckier, this year, my new neighbor is a linesman for Duke Energy...that should help a bit if power goes down from pole to house....

Sunny right now, but the clouds are moving, and bands of rain.

All set with Candles, board games, jigsaws, and charged all phones and tablets!

#42 7 years ago

I rode out Andrew a very long time ago when I lived in New Orleans. Keep safe east coasters.

#43 7 years ago

Finished our final prep this morning. Took everything out of the yard and made sure to secure anything that needed to stay out there. Got everything organized inside for meals and water.

Take care everyone. Keep checking in over the next few days.

#44 7 years ago

My parents have a place in Boynton Beach. They are riding out the hurricane up here in Chicago. They were lucky during Wilma and only lost a tree, a few roof shingles, and a portion of their backyard fence.

#45 7 years ago

Matthew is back up to a Cat. 4

#46 7 years ago

Stay safe guys. This one looks pretty bad.

#47 7 years ago

I'm in Homestead now. We have had a few passing showers and minimal wind so far today but it's raining pretty good right now. I feel bad for Palm Beach and areas north. I had my daughter come home from Orlando last night. An hour later, UCF evacuated the on campus apartments.

As for past experiences, check out this picture from Andrew. I was on 152nd Street and watched the house come down around me when it hit. Took it on the chin. We never got the eye, just the northern eye wall and were pummeled. Thankfully, it was a fast moving, dry storm.

IMG_0895 (resized).JPGIMG_0895 (resized).JPG

#48 7 years ago

My parents chose wisely and left Melbourne beach for west Orlando.

#49 7 years ago

Pins are all wrapped up, we are staying put, beachside has mandatory evacuation. Next week was supposed to be the grand opening of our pinball cafe, hopefully everything is going to be okay - definitely praying it goes East. Good luck everyone!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

I'm in Homestead now. We have had a few passing showers and minimal wind so far today but it's raining pretty good right now. I feel bad for Palm Beach and areas north. I had my daughter come home from Orlando last night. An hour later, UCF evacuated the on campus apartments.
    As for past experiences, check out this picture from Andrew. I was on 152nd Street and watched the house come down around me when it hit. Took it on the chin. We never got the eye, just the northern eye wall and were pummeled. Thankfully, it was a fast moving, dry storm.

I lived in Broward for Andrew. What a difference 50 miles made. Only had about 50-70 mph winds

There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-matthew-who-else-is-riding-it-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.