Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F0A41B94-95EE-4D5D-B049-8D1F3D55D9F9 (resized).png
    421EE01B-F9AE-44AF-8FB6-9DE1177C3073.gif
    D6977AD8-AE35-4E84-B305-240B2751E3A9.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1CF712E4-1AFF-42F4-8689-831BC18229FF (resized).jpeg
    ian1 (resized).PNG
    IMG_20220928_135635536 (resized).jpg
    48327 (resized).jpeg
    20222711326_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-2500x1500 (resized).jpg
    779B0BFD-413B-493C-A5A2-C60505670A9A.gif
    IMG_20170911_104121 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_025713 (resized).jpg
    9-1-hermine-path-4-amjpg-23efeabedf2070a0 (resized).jpg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

Northerner here. Just bought in Indian Rocks Beach in Feb and our daughter lives there. Just looking for an outlet for my anxiety. She’s been down there 3 years and has a safe place to go…but still trying to get used to all this…I’m used to blizzards, -40 degree cold, and tornadoes…hurricanes scare the sh!t out of me…and now it’s pointed at the new place. Again, she’s prepared and it’s as good as it gets, but knowing all could be wiped out…for miles, just gets to me. At least I have my pins to distract me. All stay safe down there.

#2 1 year ago

I remember when my dad had a house on the canal in Cape Coral.

Can’t remember which hurricane it was maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Storm surge was predicted 8 feet a day or two ago and he had evacuated. To pass the time looking at his insurance policy he (I don’t know how) never had any contents coverage. I know life is more important but talk about anxiety.

He wasn’t exactly out of the way far enough where he was staying and that kept me glued to the TV to see what happens.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I remember when my dad had a house on the canal in Cape Coral.
    Can’t remember which hurricane it was maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
    Storm surge was predicted 8 feet a day or two ago and he had evacuated. To pass the time looking at his insurance policy he (I don’t know how) never had any contents coverage. I know life is more important but talk about anxiety.
    He wasn’t exactly out of the way far enough where he was staying to keep me glued to the TV to see what happens.

We purposely didn’t include flood insurance…kept the internal belongings to an affordable level. HOAs insurance covers the major stuff…ya, it’ll hurt, since so soon after bought, but all-in-all will be ok. But the cleanup, time, loss of domicile for a time, and just the destruction of the community gets to me. I’m sure the next one I’ll be more relaxed.

#4 1 year ago

Ahhh, you live in Florida long enough you get used to them. At least we know theyre coming, not like a tornado with little to no warning. Ive been through half a dozen major hurricanes making landfall nearby including a couple of direct hits. If you are in the path, prepare accordingly. If they tell you to evacuate, get outta town. If stuff gets destroyed it can be rebuilt or replaced. As a kid I thought hurricanes were great because we got to miss school.
    As an adult I dread the cleanup and aftermath but its just part of living in Florida.

#5 1 year ago

^^^^this

When they say git, you git. Grew up on west coast FL and storms are not be gambled with and they haven’t improved the infrastructure enough to weather the weather enough. 75 would be grid lock so give yourself time to go. Looks like a glancing blow possibly but listen to the reports and have a plan and don’t worry about “stuff”. Nothing wrong about worry, just remember what’s important and be safe.

#6 1 year ago

I lived in Florida for eight years. I saw a lot of hurricanes during that time. Truth is, unless its a big one (which Ian is not) it's usually a non-issue. Sometimes the power goes out and there's always clean up afterwards, but it is something you get used to and really not a big deal. Most construction in Florida is built for this--modern building codes account for hurricanes and any older buildings still standing have proven themselves time and again.

I know it's hard, OP, but it's all part of living in Florida.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Ahhh, you live in Florida long enough you get used to them. At least we know theyre coming, not like a tornado with little to no warning. Ive been through half a dozen major hurricanes making landfall nearby including a couple of direct hits. If you are in the path, prepare accordingly. If they tell you to evacuate, get outta town. If stuff gets destroyed it can be rebuilt or replaced. As a kid I thought hurricanes were great because we got to miss school.
    As an adult I dread the cleanup and aftermath but its just part of living in Florida.

Ha! Kinda like a major snowstorm…and the aftermath…this puts it in my perspective. Kids
    Love the snow day, parents hate the cleanup and how to get to work.

#8 1 year ago

Cat 3 is gonna be ripping off some roofs. They keep moving it east.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Cat 3 is gonna be ripping off some roofs. They keep moving it east.

East is better…dirty side is def more storm surge. Let’s
    Hope for more east.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

East is better…dirty side is def more storm surge. Let’s
    Hope for more east.

It’s not better for me. I’m surprised I actually have a chance of hurricane force winds.

#11 1 year ago

Having gone through both hurricane Andrew and the Flurricane of 2016 in NY I can say it’s nothing like a snow storm.

#12 1 year ago

Wishing you all the best

#13 1 year ago

It’s very weird/sad..if I wish for less here..someone else gets hit…

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

It’s very weird/sad..if I wish for less here..someone else gets hit…

I'll be OK. Better that it's less worse for you. I'm not on the coast. This one is kinda slow moving too. We're used to them moving along quickly in Florida. Sounds like your daughter is being smart about it. Definitely don't get any ideas to ride it out if you are coastal and at a potential point of landfall.

#15 1 year ago

The Cat 3 part is now forecast to end while it's still over the Gulf, back to a 1 or 2 where it comes ashore.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

The Cat 3 part is now forecast to end while it's still over the Gulf, back to a 1 or 2 where it comes ashore.

Let's hope it stays that way.

#17 1 year ago

Duration of a storm off coast makes all the difference if on coast no matter the strength

#18 1 year ago

Let me start off by saying I'm not an expert or metrologist and I don’t want to scare you I’ve lived in Florida for 40+ years and actually work with hurricane prep and recovery with my work and have delt with several storms in Florida. This storm is a serious one. If your in Pinellas or the Bay Area this storm has the potential for major storm surge 6+ feet. The problem with this storm is the eastern half of the hurricane is the strongest and when it pushes water into Tampa bay there is no where for it to go except low lying areas. The models are starting to converge and it looks like Tampa will be affected even if it passes within a 100 miles in the gulf. I would heed evacuation orders head towards center of state Orlando but leave early evac times will be long the closer the storm gets. This one has a very bad track for those on the west coast of Florida. I wouldn’t want to be beachside trying to ride this one out. Hope it moves further west but after Charlie we saw a quick eastern track as it gets closer to landfall. Usually the media does it’s best to get everyone up in arms but if I were in the Bay Area or costal SW Florida I would take my loved ones and head to higher ground anything past a cat 2 is trouble for the Bay Area. Oh and mikes weather page spaghettimodels.com is probably the best source for models, tracks and analysis. Hope the models change but we are battening down the hatches and preparing for a blow later this week.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

Northerner here. Just bought in Indian Rocks Beach in Feb and our daughter lives there. Just looking for an outlet for my anxiety. She’s been down there 3 years and has a safe place to go…but still trying to get used to all this…I’m used to blizzards, -40 degree cold, and tornadoes…hurricanes scare the sh!t out of me…and now it’s pointed at the new place. Again, she’s prepared and it’s as good as it gets, but knowing all could be wiped out…for miles, just gets to me. At least I have my pins to distract me. All stay safe down there.

Just sold a condo in Redington Beach, just down from you. (not because of the storms, mostly building drama). The storms rarely do anything real wild in that area- not sure if it's because of the inlet or what. But anyway, the one in 2019 was supposed to be MASSIVE, and all that really happened was the parking lot got wet. Your kid will be fine if she listens to the news and follows instructions. If they say to get out, she should. But she'll be fine - although I certainly can't stop you worrying!

#20 1 year ago

Lived on Treasure Island for 20 years, just west of St Pete and have been
    though many h-canes. Traded them for CA earthquakes and wild fires. Groan.
    If this one turns out to be a direct hit in the St Pete/Tampa bay area
    wish you all that live there the best. Yes, folks there are accustomed
    to close calls but no direct hits so many don't leave when they should.
    Hate to see anyone affected but hope it drifts further north to Cedar Key
    where fewer live.

#21 1 year ago

It could have waited at least a couple years…sheesh, we just bought. Gonna be a long week. My daughter seems to be getting it all organized and bugs out tomorrow. Re-read our insurance policy and the Condo association policy…I have a sister in law at Sanibel right now and told her to leave…she said it’s beautiful there and hopes for good shelling . If this pulls a Charley…it could be bad there.

#22 1 year ago

For you newbies, if you have any branches, even small ones, that the wind can blow against your roof, trim them. A few hours beating against your asphalt shingles will damage them.

#23 1 year ago

My advice is to fill a 42 gallon garbage can with water and have a 2.5 gallon bucket on hand to flush the toilet. This is useful when you’ve lost power and the storm is still on the top of your home.

#24 1 year ago

Tropical Tidbits on YouTube is pretty interesting for info, too.

GL to all that may be affected.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

My advice is to fill a 42 gallon garbage can with water and have a 2.5 gallon bucket on hand to flush the toilet. This is useful when you’ve lost power and the storm is still on the top of your home.

Isn't this only if you have well water?

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Isn't this only if you have well water?

Yep, after things clear up I’m able to start the generator that runs the well.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Yep, after things clear up I’m able to start the generator that runs the well.

We're gonna have a solid 48 hours of TS conditions. I won't be starting mine up right away. I will be shocked if I don't lose power.

Does anyone know if AT&T Fiber is dependent on the local grid? I thought I read somewhere that it isn't. I've got one of the newer routers with fiber plugged directly into it. Obviously I have to power it.

#28 1 year ago

Native Floridian here and I'm used to all the panic buying and pre-storm hysteria at this point, but with that said, this storm definitely looks to be the worst Tampa has faced in modern times.

Thankfully I live in one of the highest areas above sea level in Pinellas, but I'm still concerned. Spent all morning clearing off my patio and odds and ends around the yard that could become projectiles. The wind scares me more than anything at this point. Hope everyone in Sarasota and Tampa, where it looks to hit hardest, will ride it out OK.

#29 1 year ago

Latest National Hurricane Center shows it has shifted south. Now looks like landfall at Venice. Still huge and moving like a turtle. Amount of rain and wind will be the main problem in Tampa. Storm surge is much better…if Ian stays on this track. Never watched a hurricane so closely.

#30 1 year ago

The updated storm surge map for Fort Meyers is looking pretty bad. Its gonna go right up the river, get your Pins out !

It's slow moving, so massive amounts of rain.
    Good luck, stay safe.

#31 1 year ago

I was at a conference in Marco island and ended up thankfully getting a flight out of Miami this morning. Sending good vibes to all the floridans for not too much damage.

#32 1 year ago

New Hurricane update in 20 minutes 5:00 eastern.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

New Hurricane update in 20 minutes 5:00 eastern.

Where? I’m just watching Tampa news live

#34 1 year ago

Any good live streams for coverage?

I am a bunny ears person.

#35 1 year ago

There are several Pinsiders in the Venice area, including me

Watching as Im here in Orlando now, and will get Hit again

Not looking forward to this one

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Keep us updated on how things are going. A couple pinsiders are planning to keep me updated via text as needed.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What's the worse that can happen if you are in Orlando? I would think those off the coasts are pretty safe. I almost wish I was there so I could experience it.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What's the worse that can happen if you are in Orlando? I would think those off the coasts are pretty safe. I almost wish I was there so I could experience it.

Each storm is unique which keeps me glued to the tropics.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What's the worse that can happen if you are in Orlando?

In regard to hurricanes ( )... flooding, falling trees/powerlines, tornadoes...

For perspective, the weaker Hermine, that didn't directly hit Gainesville, was enough to damage many homes here with flooding, and knock down massive trees.

Hard to judge how large hurricanes are if looking at a tracker alone (I believe I heard Ian is 400 miles wide)
    9-1-hermine-path-4-amjpg-23efeabedf2070a0 (resized).jpg9-1-hermine-path-4-amjpg-23efeabedf2070a0 (resized).jpg

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Each storm is unique which keeps me glued to the tropics.

I’m learning that. Bottom line, no matter where it hits or where it is predicted to go..be prepared. So hard, but so simple. From now on, we will be prepared for the worst, and enjoy when it’s not.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The Last one ripped half the house off

IMG_20170911_025713 (resized).jpgIMG_20170911_025713 (resized).jpgIMG_20170911_104121 (resized).jpgIMG_20170911_104121 (resized).jpg
    #42 1 year ago

Best wishes for everyone down there riding it out, be safe.
    -Mike

#43 1 year ago

Universal Studios & Disney World to close… to me that’s like Waffle House, when those companies close shits gonna go down… wishing everyone in FLA the best.

779B0BFD-413B-493C-A5A2-C60505670A9A.gif779B0BFD-413B-493C-A5A2-C60505670A9A.gif
    #44 1 year ago

I’ve got friends in Tampa, St. Pete, and Sarasota. Going to be checking on them later this evening

#45 1 year ago

Man, I'll take 7' of snow any day over a hurricane. That seems terrible.

#46 1 year ago

To all the Florida Pinsiders. Stay safe.

#47 1 year ago

Ian is clear of the Florida Keys for the most part. Still getting some rain and a bit of wind as I type this.

Latest photo attached.

Gonna be a mess on the mainland today. I wish everyone up there the best.

20222711326_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-2500x1500 (resized).jpg20222711326_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-2500x1500 (resized).jpg
    #48 1 year ago

Experiencing light rain and mildly windy conditions currently. This is a result of being 2 hrs. north of the “EYE”, which is just making contact with land down in Fort Meyers I’m only 10 minutes from the water so storm surge is one of our main concerns. Fingers crossed and the next 24 will be interesting. More prepared than any previous storm. Unfortunately portable AC unit won’t be here till 10/4.

#49 1 year ago

Been planning and looking forward to a Disney trip with the family for a while. I guess we picked the wrong week. We are at the Old Key West Resort but parks are closed and many people who drove in have already left. We flew so we pretty much just got to wait it out. Will be rough but shouldn’t be nearly as bad here as other areas. Hope everyone in the higher impact zones stays safe.

#50 1 year ago

I have a weather station that uploads data to Weather UnderGround (I'm not in Florida tho). Anyone can go to that site and click on one of hundreds of personal weather stations (orange circles on the map) to see what's happening at the specific location. Clicking on the station ID takes you to that weather station's web page where you can see the data stream timeline.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

You can really see the winds picking up. This location at St. James recently saw gusts of 87mph.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-ianor-soon-to-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.