(Topic ID: 107557)

Solved: Hurricane has no sound

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I picked up a Hurricane this weekend. The guy told me that the sound was intermittent. I have had it running for a day or so and am yet to hear any sound lol. I got it so cheap that I wasn't concerned with the sound at the time of purchase. I am looking for any tips that people have had with a similar no sound issue.

Board looks clean. I reflowed all of the pins for the connectors. Someone on another thread mentioned the crystal so I am going to get one of those and also recap the board. I thought I read somewhere that an IC can cause the sound to go. Anyone know which one for sure to check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Have you run through the sound tests? Try it if you haven't. Do your speakers make any kind of a pop or other sound when you power the game on?

#3 9 years ago

Check the speaker at the bottom of the cab. If a wire is loose there you'll have no sound to any of the speakers. Could be as simple as that.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Have you run through the sound tests? Try it if you haven't. Do your speakers make any kind of a pop or other sound when you power the game on?

It will make a ding everyone in a while. Kind of weird. I have been through the sound test but nothing happens

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Check the speaker at the bottom of the cab. If a wire is loose there you'll have no sound to any of the speakers. Could be as simple as that.

I have not but I am getting ready to go out and check it right now.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I had this happen on my Fish Tales when I was lowering the playfield. The bottom edge of the playfield caught the speaker wire and pulled it off the cabinet speaker. No sound from anything until I figured that out.

#7 9 years ago

I just checked the cabinet speaker. It was hooked up with a good connection. I noticed a little bit of hum from the panel speakers. If I unhook the ribbon cable from the sound board I get a ding sound like the one a game make after it runs its start up test.

#8 9 years ago

Hurricane has sound once again.

I pulled the mpu to just go over it and make sure everything looked fine. It looked like someone had sneezed solder all over the back of it. There was a blob on the back of the ribbon cable to the sound board that touch about 5 pins together. Cleaned the board up and all is well. Thanks for any help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-has-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.