Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinbum
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am shopping out a Hurricane that I just bought. I installed a new urethane belt but the Ferris wheels are still jerking and slipping quit a bit even with a lot of tension. Would something like belt dressing help this?

#2 9 years ago

I know it sounds crazy but wash the belts in a little soapy water and then rinse in warm water until they feel clean. They sometime put a coating (powder or lube) to keep them from sticking together in storage. You can also use a q-tip or toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol to clean the track on the gear to make sure there are no contaminants there either.

#3 9 years ago

Make sure the wheels spin freely with no belt on them.

#4 9 years ago

there's an adjustment plate on the mech, under the playfield. loosen the two screws and tighten the tension.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

there's an adjustment plate on the mech, under the playfield. loosen the two screws and tighten the tension.

bigehrl's right. I just had to do this a couple weeks ago.

look under the PF at the ferris wheel set up. On the left end there are 2 screws. 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom. You can see how the bracket is cut out so you can slide it up and down to adjust the mechanism. Loosen the screws up a little, then pull down on the little lip of the sliding adjuster to tighten it up.

WARNING... don't pull it all the way down. I did that first and it was too much tension and the motor wouldn't spin and the relay kept clicking. I don't know for sure, but I bet that could either burn out the motor or the relay unit. So go a little at a time. Anyway, just pull down some and then tighten it back up. I got mine perfect on my 3rd adjustment. Now the wheels move nice and cleanly with no slipping or jerking.

BTW - Mine is about 1/4" up from the bottom of the bracket.

Let us know this resolved the problem and GL.

#6 9 years ago

another tip, if the above does not work. get some "belt conditioner" at an auto parts store. Spray into a disposable cup and then apply onto the belt with a qtip. Let dry.

I did this on a hurricane with an old belt and never had that problem again,

#7 9 years ago

Looks like it may have been one of a couple of factors. The old belt had left hard plastic residue on several of the pulleys and may have influenced the grip. I cleaned it up the best I could. I also washed the belt for good measure although it didn't feel slippery. The wheels were rubbing slightly on the nearby plastic. I think this was causing the most grief.

Thanks for everyone's input!

#8 9 years ago

I could never get mine to work consistently with the urethane belt. It's too hard and too smooth. I vaguely recall someone recommending use of standard white rubber rings instead ... They have enough friction to keep the wheels moving.

#9 9 years ago

Use a big white O-Ring instead of the clear ring that is called for, it is thicker and grips better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 40.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-ferris-wheels-slipping-with-new-belt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.