Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dorian (resized).jpg
    671b83a (resized).jpg
    3B69E295-41ED-4CCC-853A-C77C9A0D4206 (resized).png
    093608_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind (resized).png
    C7BFDE63-09EE-4CE8-BBA8-5CF48F5925C1 (resized).jpeg
    0911170703g_resized (resized).jpg
    dorian (resized).jpg
    EE617CC8-A880-4669-BD01-25B4A5BB808F (resized).jpeg
    D830141A-19D7-4ED7-A44E-21B3A1E5CBEF (resized).jpeg
    F1708618-442B-472F-A22B-864B13D941EF (resized).jpeg
    37ea41bf6ca46617561ccc4c3e2b9945 (resized).png
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I've got lots of beer, a generator, lots of gas, and lots of Chunky soup. What do you folks do to prep for a hurricane?

I'm a little worried about my roof. It's 20+ years old. I have a very good chance of seeing TS force winds and marginal chance of seeing hurricane-force winds. I think I'm Ok if I don't see the hurricane-force stuff.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I've got lots of beer, a generator, lots of gas, and lots of Chunky soup. What do you folks do to prep for a hurricane?
    I'm a little worried about my roof. It's 20+ years old. I have a very good chance of seeing TS force winds and marginal chance of seeing hurricane-force winds. I think I'm Ok if I don't see the hurricane-force stuff.

Agreed on most, old roof and all. I have Progresso soup is the only difference. But since I live in Connecticut I'm just doing it out of solidarity. Good luck Mate.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Agreed on most, old roof and all. I have Progresso soup is the only difference. But since I live in Connecticut I'm just doing it out of solidarity. Good luck Mate.

Thanks! I have some Progresso too, as their Tomato soup is the best in a can. Toss in some Feta, it's fantastic.

#4 4 years ago

Best place like on planet to be during a hurricane, earthquake, flooding, etc. is the big green rectangle in the province that's easy to draw, hard to spell.

37ea41bf6ca46617561ccc4c3e2b9945 (resized).png37ea41bf6ca46617561ccc4c3e2b9945 (resized).png
    #5 4 years ago

Im in Illinois, and im not liking Dorian to much right now. Have had a cruise booked for about 7 months, suppose to fly to Orlando Sunday, and cruise Monday. The worst part is, with it moving slow, everything is up in limbo. So two days out and we dont know if its cancelled, and of course, didn't purchase travel insurance.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Im in Illinois, and im not liking Dorian to much right now. Have had a cruise booked for about 7 months, suppose to fly to Orlando Sunday, and cruise Monday. The worst part is, with it moving slow, everything is up in limbo. So two days out and we dont know if its cancelled, and of course, didn't purchase travel insurance.

Does your credit card have it? insurance for that I mean?
    Mine does

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Im in Illinois, and im not liking Dorian to much right now. Have had a cruise booked for about 7 months, suppose to fly to Orlando Sunday, and cruise Monday. The worst part is, with it moving slow, everything is up in limbo. So two days out and we dont know if its cancelled, and of course, didn't purchase travel insurance.</blockquote

I'm sorry. That sucks. Unless you are cruising to Bermuda, I'd probably just figure it is canceled.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Does your credit card have it? insurance for that I mean?
    Mine does

If my card covers it, fine, ill worry about that later. I dont want to sound selfish hoping that we still get to go on it, if we do, thats great, but if not, main thing is that people are safe. I have a lot of pinside and facebook "friends" that are in the area, and their safety is far more important than my vacation

#9 4 years ago

I’ll be in Savannah for the long weekend (GA coast). I’m hoping that if Dorian comes that far north, it’s Tuesday or later.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Best place like on planet to be during a hurricane, earthquake, flooding, etc. is the big green rectangle in the province that's easy to draw, hard to spell.[quoted image]

But it’s Saskatchewan..where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days and still see it-it’s so flat! At least u got good old Pilsner..and wishing safety to all in the path of the storm

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

But it’s Saskatchewan..where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days and still see it-it’s so flat! At least u got good old Pilsner..and wishing safety to all in the path of the storm

Says "unknowing" BC residents

#12 4 years ago

we Floridians laugh at low tier 3's and under, anything higher we start shitting bricks. all these people rushing for water instead of just filling up containers and such off the city tap/ well are just stooopid. gas is already out and lines are wrapped around buildings for where it isnt. got my two gennies, and 500 gal RO tank, a window shaker, and lots of beer.

#13 4 years ago

Man hurricanes been stalking The Rolling Stones in 2019

#14 4 years ago

My generator can run 2 pins and a hair dryer. "sorry honey, my pinball friend is without power and I need that third outlet"

#15 4 years ago

Well, it isn't all bad. Just sold my old generator for a very good price.

#16 4 years ago

You do know if you have to you can run a pin off an inverter attached to your tuck battery right? Don't use an accessory port they go through a fast acting fuse. Get an inverter that has alligator clips like jumper cables. The inverter itself still has a protecting / resettable circuit breaker.

Been there done this. Middle of the woods on a mountain camping with friends in a Ford Ranger with a legs off Royal Flush Deluxe shimmed to level hanging off the tailgate. Nothing cooler than drinking morning campfire coffee watching a husband / wife / son / daughter having a 4 player game in the middle of nowhere.

#17 4 years ago

Taking the kids to the beach at the Florida panhandle Monday thru Thursday. Got a real good price. We like big waves.

If you’re on the east coast, be safe and stay away from the panicking fools. More deaths occur on the road during a major storm than from the storm itself.

#18 4 years ago

Inverter generator to run the 120v. Very quiet and efficient.
    15kw pto generator to run 240v. Diesel. Only need it part time.

#19 4 years ago

I’m ready, but hurricanes cripple the state for 5-7 days waiting for it to come. It’s exhausting. If I was on the east coast I’d be more worried, but short of a direct hit I’m just not too concerned anymore.

Always have my inverter generator, portable ac, mini fridge, tv, pinball machines at the ready though.

#20 4 years ago

My wife and I moved our daughter from Iowa to Tampa 2 weeks ago. I’m not used to dealing with such huge storms...a tornado is nasty, but you can get out of its way usually. The storm has move more to the east coast (I pray all there are ok after this) but it still freaks me out. She seems ready, and is staying, but I don’t do “helpless” well.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

My wife and I moved our daughter from Iowa to Tampa 2 weeks ago. I’m not used to dealing with such huge storms...a tornado is nasty, but you can get out of its way usually. The storm has move more to the east coast (I pray all there are ok after this) but it still freaks me out. She seems ready, and is staying, but I don’t do “helpless” well.

Hurricanes can spawn tornadoes, but you have many days notice a hurricane is coming. I've woke up to the sound of a freight train (a tornado), and that's all the notice I got.

If your daughter is at a University, they generally do a good job keeping the kids safe.

#22 4 years ago

She spent a year at a university, but wanted Hillsborough Community College, her life...and loves Florida. She seems good with it. I still worry. She seems to take her class work more seriously this year...not into spending 80k just to say I graduated from $$$. This hurricane is a wrench we didn’t expect, but will get through it. She wants to do this on her own, but I know what connections can mean...safety and what not. We want our children to be successful and independent, but as a parent, it can be hard...and I’m into pushing them out of the nest. What a dichotomy...

#23 4 years ago

Most of the spaghetti models have it skirting off the coast now. I hope that trend continues.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I've woke up to the sound of a freight train (a tornado), and that's all the notice I got.

Me too, in Vermont of all place. Still easily the most scared I've ever been.

Yup, things looking a little better for FL. Not so much for thw Carolinas. I'll have to keep an eye on this, may be moving the pins to higher ground this week (we have flooding issues sometimes).

#25 4 years ago

Hello from Savannah. Calm before the storm.

F1708618-442B-472F-A22B-864B13D941EF (resized).jpegF1708618-442B-472F-A22B-864B13D941EF (resized).jpeg
    #26 4 years ago

Drove up a bit of A1A today. I'm amazed at how many folks are not boarding up.

#27 4 years ago

Drove to McDonalds for my Sunday breakfast. Visited Lowe’s afterward. Surprised they had lots of generators (not selling) and water (not selling). On my way home, drove by several gas stations with no lines. It’s almost like, it’s over.

#28 4 years ago

These things are unpredictable... Everything is still on the table at this point. Used to live in Savannah in the 70s and 80s went through Hugo

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Drove to McDonalds for my Sunday breakfast. Visited Lowe’s afterward. Surprised they had lots of generators (not selling) and water (not selling). On my way home, drove by several gas stations with no lines. It’s almost like, it’s over.

I wouldn’t be buying any of that crap either. If that storm was near me I’d leave early and make a vacation of it.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Generators are selling here. Lowes and HD were both out Friday. Gas was better today, but over the last couple days, most of my gas stations have been out.

I listed my Gen on CL Friday and had a buyer within an hour with another offering me $50 more if I could bring it to them.

If I lived on or near the coast, I'd be boarding up and getting the f out.

#31 4 years ago

I think it’s gonna be another hurricane Mathew here. Wild weather but not serious.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I think it’s gonna be another hurricane Mathew here. Wild weather but not serious.

Yeah, if it was a fast-moving CAT5 slamming head-on into us, that would be a problem for me. A slow-moving CAT5 is bad for the coast, but shouldn't be too terrible inland, 20+-year-old roof notwithstanding.

#33 4 years ago

I am in costal North Carolina which means I live in a flood zone. Florence last year gave 3 feet of water in the ground level floor. Our house is two stories with the main living area on the second floor. The bottom floor is ground level. This is where my work shop, home brewing, and pinballs are located. I started prepping on Friday. Late yesterday afternoon I started to bring the pins up (n=5) Being 63 years old, I put in a Beach Butler Cargo Lift about 1.5 years ago for heavy limiting to the second floor. Never had a problem until yesterday. It broke on the first lift . I had to go to plan B. Ran out and brought an inexpensive winch. Put the winch at the top of the stairs that runs up the second floor deck. Braced the winch at the top between two banisters and put the extension later on the stairs as a ramp and winched the pins to the top. Then put them on a hand cart and put them in the dining room.

Haven’t decided if we are staying yet but, are pretty much ready if we do. Have food, water, whole house generator, and a full tank of propane. Just hope the darn thing moves more easterly.

#34 4 years ago

Originally from eastern N.C., hurricane Floyd put about 30 inches of rain turning us into an island.

I’m now in NE TN protected by mountains.
    Still 6 mths of food and 3 cases of mead makes me feel better.

EE617CC8-A880-4669-BD01-25B4A5BB808F (resized).jpegEE617CC8-A880-4669-BD01-25B4A5BB808F (resized).jpeg
    D830141A-19D7-4ED7-A44E-21B3A1E5CBEF (resized).jpegD830141A-19D7-4ED7-A44E-21B3A1E5CBEF (resized).jpeg

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Still 6 mths of food and 3 cases of mead makes me feel better.

Damn! I just stock a couple of weeks worth of Chunky soup and lots of Costco Tuna. How does that stuff taste?

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Damn! I just stock a couple of weeks worth of Chunky soup and lots of Costco Tuna. How does that stuff taste?

Probably as good at Chunky soup and tuna! With the mead, it probably tastes better. LOL!

#37 4 years ago

I am a couple miles from Jacksonville, a couple of miles from the coast on a river. It is 2 days away, and my river is a foot higher then normal.

The dark picture was our swimming pool during Irma 2 years ago

I have lived here for 20 years and 3 of the last 4 years have had the highest tides.

0911170703g_resized (resized).jpg0911170703g_resized (resized).jpgdorian (resized).jpgdorian (resized).jpg
    #38 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Just stock up on Panera bread salads and cookies. You’ll be fine!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Just stock up on Panera bread salads and cookies. You’ll be fine!

Plus a baker's dozen or 2 of bagels and you're good to go.

#40 4 years ago

Im getting more nervous. Keeping an eye on the storm closely.

#41 4 years ago

I could live off my gut for at least a week, and I suspect I’m not alone in this.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I could live off my gut for at least a week, and I suspect I’m not alone in this.

I kinda look forward to clearing hurricane debris because I lose a lot of weight.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

There is probably quite a few people who could live off of your gut for a week.

LTG : )

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There is probably quite a few people who could live off of your gut for a week.
    LTG : )

Maybe a month or so but it would really suck.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Im getting more nervous. Keeping an eye on the storm closely.

You must be watching the weather channel. (:

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

You must be watching the weather channel. (:

Fake weather.

#47 4 years ago

We were driving back from Kansas City yesterday. We saw several power line crews and Red Cross trucks headed south. Also a couple of flatbeds loaded with large generators.

#48 4 years ago

A couple of our Fire Departments here in the Denver Area are headed south also.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

I am a couple miles from Jacksonville, a couple of miles from the coast on a river. It is 2 days away, and my river is a foot higher then normal.

We're having King Tides now as well. I went to the beach this morning ~3 hours before high tide and the water was already reaching the dunes.

#50 4 years ago

Already lost power. Time to see if I’m ready. Dress rehearsal?

C7BFDE63-09EE-4CE8-BBA8-5CF48F5925C1 (resized).jpegC7BFDE63-09EE-4CE8-BBA8-5CF48F5925C1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-dorian-are-you-ready?hl=stupidjackpot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.