(Topic ID: 200536)

Hurricane Club (Comet and Cyclone owners are also welcome)

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 375 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240414_000206417 (resized).jpg
hurricane.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
p2 (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).jpg
hurr3 (resized).jpg
hurr2 (resized).jpg
hurr1 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_2151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
Hurricane topper 5 inch tall (resized).jpg
20230423_233622 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230121_085936.jpg
D985E622-32A8-4065-B3DA-49F9E3BBACA0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaytrem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 5 years ago

I'm too busy playing. Picked one up a couple months ago. It was close by and in great condition. Already have a Comet and Cyclone and figured I might not have another chance for such nice one. Said what the heck and pulled the trigger. Turns out I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would. Kids love it too.

5 months later
#36 4 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Hi just joined this club. Can anyone help with any custom cards or instructions?

Welcome to the club! I think I just have the standard instruction card but do have a custom info card. If you PM your email address I'll send it when I get home later.

#41 4 years ago

For me I think part of the difficulty is the Hurricane ramp blocks the view of the flipper tops a bit. I think I might play better if I duck down to my kids' height. Every so often I have a great game though, then I quickly go back to sucking.

1 week later
#45 4 years ago

They've got a couple plastics here, including the often broken dummy plastic (and they actually ship to Canada)...

http://www.pinball.center/de/search/index/sSearch/hurricane/sPerPage/12/sPage/2

2 weeks later
#52 4 years ago

Welcome to the club! I purchased mine mainly because I already had a Comet and Cyclone. I came across a super nice one and figured it might be my only chance at one that nice. Turns out I'm enjoying the game much more than I thought I would. Hope it goes the same for you!

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just created my new Cyclone apron cards. Cost is $10 for the pair (includes US postage - will ship outside of US with postage quoted per order) which are photo printed on ultra gloss photo paper with clear gloss vinyl overlaid on top. Please PM me if interested.[quoted image][quoted image]

How much for all 3? You know you can't stop at just Comet and Cyclone? No hurry. Thanks!

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Oddly enough, I don't own any of these pins. I just keep getting asked to design stuff for them.

Oh, the welcome was for Murphelman.

Anyway, I just put some nicer cards in about 6 months back. But yours look REAL nice. Guess I need to decide on color/design. I'll pm soon. Thanks!

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Does no one make a Hurricane Translite?

Here ya go, price is pretty good too...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1357-50012

#63 4 years ago

WHAT THE?????? Thank You so much! Ive been looking for long time. In fact, calling Marco tomorrow to. Wonder how long this has been in stock?

Glad to help. They were in stock when I bought my machine 8 months ago. Tempted to buy one but I didn't. Mine is good other than some swirl marks from the disk. Not really noticable.

1 week later
#67 4 years ago

Part of the clowns face will be lit depending on your game settings. You might have it set on easiest, so it would leave on what ever was lit at the end of the prior game. The other options are to reset for every player, or to reset for every game (so if it's 2,3 or 4 player you all work together to get the face lit). I currently have it set to reset every game. Makes it a little easier for my kids to get clown time, but if I'm playing alone it's a fresh start every time.

The other lights are also supposed to be lit for the start of the game. You might also be able to adjust some of them for difficulty. I haven't looked in a while.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Ah excellent thanks so even PALACE is correct?

I'm pretty sure it is. Mine typically starts up with P-A-L lit unless I scored a Jackpot (and maybe won a "free game") the previous game. I'm pretty sure that is also adjustable.

1 month later
#85 4 years ago

I managed to shoe horn in a LCD but I highly recommend the LED display because of tight fit with the spinning wheel.

Hmmm, so the LCD does fit but not technically supported. Tempting, I'll probably go with the LED though.

#93 4 years ago

All my video I have is Beta. So id rather not post those.
I will say, once again putting this game in color is just a neat pleasant thing. Color fits Hurricane so perfectly.
Game announced, you can go ahead and buy it. Rom drop is tomorrow.

ROM is out but still no video on the site. Any chance you can post one? Anxious to see it! Thanks!

#95 4 years ago

My machine is off property and wont be home for at least 3 weeks. My machine was used for all the testing and beta code. I worked on it for a few months then i dropped it off to fix the overlapping frames and such.

Got it, thanks anyway.

#97 4 years ago

Awesome, will order soon, thanks! Funny, I don't think I've ever seen that inch worm before. Anybody know when that shows up?

#100 4 years ago

When the Ferris wheel isnt lit, and you go up for a ride?

0 for 5 so far. Waited for the dummy time to expire on one of them. The good news is I ended up with a lot of multiballs due to missed shots. Might have to take the glass off and cheat a bit.

1 week later
#101 4 years ago

So I just ordered a ColorDMD for my Hurricane. Figured I'd go play a quick game. Turn on the machine and I get "factory settings restore" and some other error. Man, talk about an ungrateful machine! Seems like it going to work though, just need to redo the settings, or I guess put a quarter in.

#103 4 years ago

Are you still on batteries? If so get a remote battery holder and put in 3 fresh new batteries and mount that thing to the left hand side wall.

Yup, still has batteries. It does have a remote holder and relatively new lithiums (less than a year). They might be the problem, factory reset again. Further inspection is needed.

#104 4 years ago

Machine seems happy with the new batteries. Didn't get my money's worth out of those lithiums though.

1 week later
#106 4 years ago

Well my ColorDMD went thru Atlanta twice on it's way here, but it's now installed and looks great! Thanks to Ericpinballfan and everyone else who worked on it! Now just gotta get that inchworm to show up.

1 month later
#110 4 years ago
Quoted from snextime:

Hello fellow owners.
I just picked up a Hurricane this Saturday 10-19-2019 and I have a few questions.
#1. How do I reset the Palace lights and clown lights so every game starts fresh. Factory settings now.
#2. Can somebody post a pic of the factory speakers next to the DMD?
#3. Is there anybody making the big ramp at the bottom?[quoted image]

#1. I can check when I get home. I think you have 3 option. Reset for every player, reset for every game (so in multi player games you work together to light the face, and no-reset. I have it set for reset every gamer. That way if I'm playing alone I have to complete the whole face, but if my kids are playing a multi-player it makes it a bit easier.

#2. Will take a pic when I get home.

#3. Freeplay40 might make it when he get his bigger heater going, it will probably be a ways off though. Somebody did make a few and sold on ebay (gone now). He said he was lousy at cutting them out, so you had to do that part yourself.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

For anyone who has purchased one of my 3D Hurricane toys, can you please post some pics of it installed in your game for others to see? I've had some questions about where it should be installed, and I really am not sure since I don't own the pin myself.

My larger sized one obviously doesn't fit inside, but I always thought the regular size one would look best on the left above the red plastics.

#112 4 years ago

Speaker pic...

15718654934181652659463 (resized).jpg15718654934181652659463 (resized).jpg
#113 4 years ago

Clown/palace light reset...
Adjustments menu
Feature adjustements
18 is clown lights, change to player or game
15 is palace start, change to none or desired letter
16 is place lights, change to player or game

Enjoy!

#116 4 years ago

Oops, my bad. Thought you might have had different grills when viewing on the small phone screen. Here ya go....

1571874989551880483129 (resized).jpg1571874989551880483129 (resized).jpg15718750228051890500681 (resized).jpg15718750228051890500681 (resized).jpg15718750673401448177069 (resized).jpg15718750673401448177069 (resized).jpg
#118 4 years ago
Quoted from snextime:

Ok yep thats what I have in mine. I also have a 6X9 for a lower cabinet speaker. Grille is pushed in and speaker is ripped.

Ahhh yes, I can see that (along with the "W"s) now that I look at it on a bigger screen. Is the grill damaged or just pushed in? Can't imagine that part is too hard to find.

#122 4 years ago

I went with the original colors for the rubbers (Titan). Except maybe the flipper, not sure, but went with yellow. Post sleeves are all yellow except the one between the juggler and the ferris wheel, that one is a dark blue.

Machine has full LEDs, but they were all put in prior to me owning the machine. So not familiar with the difficulty of getting to some of them. Luckily they were most white for the GI, I'm not a fan of "clown puke". Inserts are color matched.

Looks like you have at least one chipped slingshot plastic. I ordered some a while back but color was much darker than they're supposed to be. Ordered another set from pinball centre in Germany since I was ordering a couple other things (the dummy plastic mainly). They don't ship to the US, so right now my stuff is at a friends place in Canada. I'll update on the color and quality when they arrive.

Anyway, enjoy the machine, be sure to post some more pics!

5 months later
#127 4 years ago

Finally got that inch worm to show up! And on my birthday no less, go figure.

6 months later
#134 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

My cab sides, like many others, are pretty badly faded.
I don't want to lose the original paintwork, has anyone found an stencils or the like, for putting paint back on to the artwork?
Backbox is fine, just the sides lost the red...

I've never seen stencils available. Mine was decaled by the previous owner.

#136 3 years ago

Good info, thanks for posting! Makes me wonder if my machine had them from birth, or if somebody did an upgrade along the way.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

Do your bumper lights come on constantly or do they work with the lamp matrix?

They work with the matrix.

2 weeks later
#143 3 years ago

I can shoot some pics when I get home if nobody else posts before then.

#145 3 years ago

Here ya go....

16073787263331884970755 (resized).jpg16073787263331884970755 (resized).jpg16073787504421827780911 (resized).jpg16073787504421827780911 (resized).jpg16073787929961530571634 (resized).jpg16073787929961530571634 (resized).jpg1607378825730687907574 (resized).jpg1607378825730687907574 (resized).jpg
#148 3 years ago

My Hurricane is in pieces right now, so can't test, sorry.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Biglouie:

Oh no! What's going on? Cleaning?

Luckily no problems. Somebody just needed to borrow my ferris wheels.

1 week later
#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Kixslash:

Is that piece of metal attached to the front slingshot plastic post on the left slingshot a factory part to keep the ball from dropping on the plastic?

I've never seen that before. Doubt it's factory.

1 month later
#173 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Lighting omitted to save coasts??
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yup, was just discussed a little while ago in this thread. Some people have added lights. Luckily mine came with them.

Are you combining all the best parts into 1 machine?

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Nope, one for myself, one for a friend. They'll both be cleaned up and playable. Thanks for the info.

Cool, welcome to the club! I've been surprised how popular the game has been with non-pinball people. It's my father-in-laws favorite.

#179 3 years ago

Mine is right at 6.5. No problem hitting anything, the ball flies around the right ramp. Sounds like your flippers must be weak.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from Netropolis:

Hey fellow Hurricane owners.
I am looking for the Comet Ramp Cover.
31-1645-SP... I actually found a brand new one on a France Pinball site, I ordered it but after a month they just refunded my mony and wouldn't respond to my emails asking why. I chalked it up to a language thing but I was seriously bummed.
If anyone knows where I can get one of these simple roundish clear covers, please let me know.
Attached is one of the only photos I can find on the whole internet of what I need.
[quoted image]

Freeplay40 makes those. Typically comes with the Comet ramp when you buy that from him. But there's a good chance he can sell you a stand alone.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

Another note, your sounds do they sound like they're coming out of a old transistor radio?

Nope, the machine sounds pretty good. Might be good to start a topic asking about WPC-89 sound issue. That way you'll get more than Hurricane people trying to help.

4 months later
#214 2 years ago

Welcome to the club! I guess you're the one that bought the Titan set I created, just got a $1.22 credit from them!

I have Pinball Centre slingshot plastics on mine, they're a good color match, some of the ones out there are not. You can also pick up the dummy plastic from them. Probably a good idea to buy a couple, they're always broken. The color doesn't match as well, it's not bad, and at least it's not broken. But if you want it to match the upper piece, you may want to buy both. I just removed my upper since it's not really needed.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/hurricane/?p=2

Luckily they'll ship to you since you live in Canada (no US shipping).

I purchased my machine from a guy that owns a light company, so it was already loaded with LEDs (luckily tastefully). So can't help out much there. I did add a couple brighter ones in a few places around the playfield (cool white).

Please let us know how the upgrades go.

4 weeks later
#242 2 years ago

I removed my Ferris wheels recently. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was able to do it without removing the big ramps. Long tools and magnets help.

3 months later
#250 2 years ago

Kerry Richard was kind enough to send me some Hurricane parts to share with others. I'll be at the York show if anybody needs something. Can also mail stuff out if there are no York takers. Please only request what you need, thanks!

16336484760521748274462027964959 (resized).jpg16336484760521748274462027964959 (resized).jpg
8 months later
#261 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Is the main hurricane ramp (the large one on the right side) available?
And, has anyone modified their playfield mounts to the sliding rail style on the more recent WPC machines?

Larry at Starship has mentioned he might do that one at some point. He has the mold. It's qute large.

1 month later
#270 1 year ago

Nice work! Your dome looks nice and bright, might have to upgrade my bulbs. Did you get the inchworm to show up yet? He looks great in color!

#272 1 year ago
Quoted from bhelms:

In almost 9 years of owning this machine I believe I saw the inch worm only once on the orginal display, not yet on the color screen. I'll report back when I do...!

I can tell you the sequence of events if you'd like. We get it often enough these days that we play "the inchworm game". The only goal is to get the inchworm. What makes it even trickier is there seems to be a 50/50 chance you get the ducks instead. One of my kids hit the shot the other day and out came the ducks!!! She was pissed!

#274 1 year ago

To get inchworm...

1. Shoot the ferris wheel so that the ferris wheel light goes out.

2. With the ferris wheel light out, and after the dummy stops talking (or is it), and no quick score lit, shoot the ferris wheel again. You should get the "shoot ducks to light ferris wheel" message.

3. Repeat step 2 and either the inchworm or ducks should appear. Note, this need to be done before the ferris wheel is lit again, if you accidently shoot all the ducks, you need to start over.

One time the inchworm did pop his head out while the dummy was talking, never saw that happen again though. He quickly disappeared, we were shocked!

Let us know how it goes. Love that inchworm!!!

#275 1 year ago

Got 'em on camera!!!

20220730_172717 (resized).jpg20220730_172717 (resized).jpg
#279 1 year ago
Quoted from bhelms:

GOT 'IM...!!! Just SGL (Shit-Grinnin' Luck), to be sure...but I lit that worm up for the first time in color just now! I wasn't following the "rule" you outlined but somehow I musta hit the sequence and there he was! You'll have to take my word for it (I'm an Eagle Scout!) since I didn't record it...maybe I'll set up a camera and try to hit the rule so I can share it with you...!
Lotsa fun...to be sure...it just adds to the allure of Hurricane! I'm so glad I decided to invest what it took to resurrect this wonderful machine and make the upgrades I outlined above (I'm just a bit south of $1,200 total spent since May)...but I don't regret one cent! I hope to play this machine 1,000s of times before I cash it in myself...!

Awesome! One of my kids managed to get both the inchworm and the ducks on the same ball yesterday. First time any of has pulled that off. Was going for a 3rd, but knocked down the last drop target and re-lit the ferris wheel.

Glad you're enjoying your Hurricane! Seems to get the most play in my collection. Kinda funny, since when I bought it, it was mainly because I had a Comet and Cyclone and figure I should complete the set.

#281 1 year ago

Awesome! I read somewhere they have something to do with the ferris wheel. So I just kept shooting for that and got them to show up a couple times. Eventually I was able to figure out they would only show up after the "shoot ducks to light ferris wheel" message.

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from flipper_nutz:

I'm looking for the round ground braid (that runs through the GI in system 11) to do a pf swap on Cyclone, does anyone know where to buy it? Thanks

Like this...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1041-third-coast-pinball/00662-18ga-stranded-tinned-bare-wire

#294 1 year ago

Just lost all my high scores and settings the other day. Crappy Energizer lithium batteries!!! Second time they got me. Put them in in early January. I tested them when I removed them. 2 were still good but the 3rd was coming in around .5v. Will test the batteries out of the box from now on. Glad all my other games have NVRAM. At least my kids are happy, it's suddenly much easier to get their names up.

#298 1 year ago
Quoted from bhelms:

Repeating a question I posed above - What NVRAM chip are folks using to replace the U8 2064 S/RAM chip on their Hurricane CPU board? I assume once that swap is made there is no further need for batteries at all. Thanks again...

https://www.pinitech.com/products/62256_nvram.php

If it doesn't go well you can buy a new MPU with NVRAM installed here...

https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-wpc89-mpu.html

1 month later
#302 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The Hurricane bottom ramp is the most requested ramp I have at the moment. I believe Starship has passed on this project for now, so I would like to get this one out there for folks this fall. If someone has an origonal that isn't too hosed up, there is a free one in it for you if I can have your original to make a mold from.
Thanks,
Jody

Hey Jody,

Thanks for getting this one done! Mine is in good shape except for the upper spot where it's screwed down. I got permission from my kids to let you use it. Hurricane is their favorite, but they survived while the ferris wheels were out having their decals copied. Only about a 5% chance I'll be at York, but I can ship it if necessary. Pics in a min, let me know what you think???

16647613676103662285135689704414 (resized).jpg16647613676103662285135689704414 (resized).jpg16647613851382285118296789880421 (resized).jpg16647613851382285118296789880421 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#307 1 year ago
Quoted from bhelms:

Sign me up for one! Mine is cracked in two at the lowest curve, broken then re-glued by the guy who did a partial restoration for me before I bought it in '13. (He did reduce the price accordingly.) I doubt you would want to use mine for the mold form however.

Just sent my ramp to him this week and it arrived safely. Hopefully the new ones will be available soon.

#309 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Coming soon thanks to Jay! I have some metal bits coming in the next couple weeks, and then I will have these available for sale once Jay confirms the fit.[quoted image]

I guess I do deserve most of the credit. It probably took at least 15 minutes to remove the ramp and pack it up.

1 month later
#321 1 year ago

Some can be found here...

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/hurricane/?p=1

But they don't ship to the US. If you have any friends in Canada you can ship to them. I also might gave a few extra that another pinsider gave me. I'll take a look tomorrow.

3 months later
#332 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricbec:

Looking for a tip or 2
Got new ramps for this game...but when I'm trying to remove stickers from existing ramps, the adhesive is so old it is staying on the ramp and not the stickers
Any tips on what would be the best adhesive to reapply to the stickers that's not super permanent?......
I was just thinking some clear double sided tape....but worried it might be too permanent

Some people have used 2 sided tape and number of other have recommended various spray on glue (after cleaning off any old glue left on the decals). Like this one...

https://www.sears.com/helmar-v2-vellum-adhesive-5.82-ounce/p-SPM6382259603

Which decals were you able to remove? Did they all come off in one piece?

3 months later
#343 8 months ago
Quoted from NYP:

Is this piece available anywhere besides pinball center?
[quoted image]

Have never seen them anywhere else. Good time to make a friend in Canada or Europe.

2 months later
#347 6 months ago

3 balls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaytrem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-club-comet-and-cyclone-owners-are-also-welcome?tu=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.