image-68.jpg
image-565.jpg
image-99.jpg
image-731.jpg
image-861.jpg
image-662.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

This was my first attempt using an experimental process. I am not happy with the final result, but i thought i would share the learning experience and process in hopes that other people can learn from my mistakes and possibly expand on the idea. In hind sight, i could have done this better, but im not going to mess with it any further. Im chalking it up as a learning experience.
Years ago, someone told me about using spray can kilz to repaint entire white areas around score windows. I have used it with success in the past for small square area repairs, and on a few other spot repairs while masking off the other areas. I wanted to try and save this glass, mostly because the rest of it is really nice, and more importantly im not financially able to purchase a new glass for all of my machines that could use them. This game may get one sometime in the future though. So here is a pic of what i started with.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#2 9 years ago

As you can see, the white area around the score reels needs repair. I first traced the shape of the window areas i would be scraping clean. Then i removed the glass and triple thicked the back. After that, i cut around the area to be scraped with an exacto to give me an edge boundry to scrape up to. I then scraped the entire area clean as shown.

image-662.jpgimage-662.jpg image-861.jpgimage-861.jpg image-731.jpgimage-731.jpg
#3 9 years ago

My first mistake was not triple thicking the widow area again at this point. You will see why later, but to sum it up, the edges of where i cut with the exacto left gaps between the original ink and the glass where it delaminated. This was my biggest oversight, and the one that made the whole job come out poorly. Here is what i "thought" would happen: i cut the mask for the window 1/8 of an inch larger than needed so the white would overlap the silver mask, and thought this would seal the exposed edge and create a seal. This did not work out as planned. Here are pics of the masks i cut for the score windows. I used bren ultra cut and an exacto. The next step was to cut a mask for the black key lines around the windows. My second mistake was using black acrylic for those lines. I should have used a rattle can. The acrylic peel off a bit with the mask, and left me to hand pant back in the area. Also, the mask lifted the edge of where the red touches the window on the right, causing me to have to repaint an otherwise nice area. Again, wouldnt have happened had i triple thicked it again.

image-99.jpgimage-99.jpg image-565.jpgimage-565.jpg image-68.jpgimage-68.jpg image-737.jpgimage-737.jpg image-989.jpgimage-989.jpg
#4 9 years ago

This was the final result. You can see where the white "bled" under the lifted ink around the edges and also under the black acrylic a bit. I think had i made the above mentioned adjustments in my attempt, it would have been more successful. It will go in my game for now, but at some point i think the game will warrent a repro, as the game is pretty nice. I should mention, someone had suggested using a cut sticker to replace the graphic. I didnt like this idea because in my experience, they always come off at some point. In hind sight though, it probably would have looked better than it does now.

image-833.jpgimage-833.jpg image-806.jpgimage-806.jpg
#5 9 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I'm not sure too many people would have triple thicked it again before spraying the white figuring they'd want a crystal clear area for the paint to adhere. (or they don't want to do the extra step) Now we know it's best to triple thick it again.

Cheers,
Art.

#6 9 years ago

Yes, thanks for documenting this and sharing your results. It looks like the repair would have turned out great if you added that extra step. The next one will look great Im sure

#7 9 years ago

I am REALLY tempted to go back and fix this, as its going to bother me to look at it. I just have a hard time cutting into otherwise nice areas to fix my mistake. I'm afraid it may end up looking worse than it does...

#8 9 years ago

Don't be so hard on yourself. It looks a heck of a lot better then it did before and you learned something in the process.

#9 9 years ago

I do a lot of backglass repair using paint, decals, triple thick, prayer, superstition, you name it. I know what you're going through, you just want to make it *that* much better but, honestly, looking at your work, it's the kind of thing that 99% of the people that walk up to the game will never notice unless you point it out. I'm a perfectionist and, yes, it would bug the sh*t out of me if it were mine but, if I were to step back and look at the big picture, it's still a damn fine playing pinball machine! I'd probably leave it as is and not point it out to anyone.

That said...I'm sure you're going to go back in there. Use a hot knife x-acto attachment on a soldering iron to cut paint/tt carefully and you may be able to get away with a nice decal repair. I know you don't like decals but I've done dozens with good quality decal supplies and haven't had one lift yet (use 47 bulbs!)

#10 9 years ago

"The enemy of good is better"

Honestly, that looks a heck of a lot better than what you started with. I'd leave it alone and chalk up the minor imperfections as a learning experience. This was certainly an interesting approach to the problem.

#11 9 years ago

looks fine to me. I wouldnt risk redoing it and messing it up more. u did a good job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurdy-gurdy-backglass-restoration-attempt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.