New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 80780)

HUO/CQ Pinbot on Ebay. Yeah, right.

By Blackbeard

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

How many items can you find that definitely makes this NOT collector quality?

ebay.com link » 1986 Williams Pin Bot Pinball Machine Huo Home Use Only Restored With Video

I see three right away.

Talk about failing to mention a few things..

#2 6 years ago

Looks pretty clean actually.. Typical Sys 11 Mylar Bubbling and a bad touchup on the cab. Certainly not worth the cash they are asking, but it doesn't scream FRAUD as much as "just plain too expensive" to me.

-Wes

#3 6 years ago

His claiming it to be "collector quality" is plain old fraudulent to me.

1. Light grid overlay. Hmm... Probably should've mentioned that.
2. Spiral ramp cracked.
3. Plastic to left of grid.

What else?

#4 6 years ago

If you read the description, says 45 hours for restoration. Huh. Must be nice to totally restore a machine in that timeframe.

He doesn't mention much was done to it except bulbs and some other stuff.

I will say that overall it's a clean looking machine though. Not CQ (the grid issue) but pretty damn nice.

#5 6 years ago

My uncle had a HUO Pinbot. It was amazing. When he died of cancer my aunt gave it to a family friend, but I have no idea where it ended up over the years. I've tried to track it down, but it was given to a business associate who gave it to an accountant and blah blah blah.

Anyway, that one was pristine. Zero bubbling and no wear.

#6 6 years ago

I contacted seller. Said there were no missing/cracked plastics. Lies.

#7 6 years ago

I don't get it, You own a Pinbot that your trying to sell or trade and your getting yourself worked up over an ebay listing for a supposed HUO Pinbot, Can I ask why?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

I don't get it, You own a Pinbot that your trying to sell or trade and your getting yourself worked up over an ebay listing for a supposed HUO Pinbot, Can I ask why?

If this were a "HUO/CQ Gorgar", GNatty, you'd be doing the same.

Why? BC I spent hours on my pinbot. I replaced things, etc. I know the pin inside and out. It pisses me off that some person, unwittingly, may buy this thinking it's MINT, when it clearly isn't. It's deceptive and should be called out. Treat people correctly and don't take advantage.

#9 6 years ago

I saw this ad too. I was appalled at the description as CQ. I actually own a CQ Pinbot and it bothers me that someone would mislead a noob into thinking that they are selling something in the condition that they are not.

Hopefully it doesn't sell to someone for that kind of money.

#10 6 years ago

I could go on ebay every day and look at the Pins that are for sale from the titles i've owned over the years, but i don't. All i'm saying is who really cares, don't let it bother you

#11 6 years ago

Nobody on Pinside would even think of buying that machine!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

I could go on ebay every day and look at the Pins that are for sale from the titles i've owned over the years, but i don't. All i'm saying is who really cares, don't let it bother you

Clearly you have a MUCH thicker skin than I. This crap drives me bonkers.

#13 6 years ago

There are at least 300 overpriced pinballs on Ebay...don't worry bout it...

#14 6 years ago

LOL, ebay sucks! Don't let it get to you, now go play Congo!

#15 6 years ago

Good advices.

Maybe I'm just having post-partum as I'm trading my Pinbot for a Shadow tomorrow. Looks like I got caught already looking for another..

#16 6 years ago

Pinball prices on Ebay don't mean Jack Sh*t. Pardon my French.

#17 6 years ago

HUO is one of those terms that really doesn't mean as much as people would like.

Plenty of HUO games out there that were never cleaned or serviced (or left near a window) that have faded or look like crap.

(Very similar to the reimport vs import garbage)

It all boils down to CONDITION. If a routed game is in better shape than a HUO game, that is what people want. Period.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

HUO is one of those terms that really doesn't mean as much as people would like.
Plenty of HUO games out there that were never cleaned or serviced (or left near a window) that have faded or look like crap.
(Very similar to the reimport vs import garbage)
It all boils down to CONDITION. If a routed game is in better shape than a HUO game, that is what people want. Period.

Of course plenty of HUO games out there also weren't Home Use Only!

#19 6 years ago

where does he say it's collector quality in his description? Collector quality it is not, clean nice example, yes it is.

He doesn't use the term collector quality. Which i'm glad he didn't because it would have to look perfect in every way.

#20 6 years ago

It's been changed from "collector quality" to "quality" restoration.

Originally it was the former. I messaged him about it and he changed it.

#21 6 years ago

"All play field plastics are complete"

Lying sack of shit.

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

I've owned 37 machines already. Never bought one or sold one on ebay yet!!!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

If you read the description, says 45 hours for restoration. Huh. Must be nice to totally restore a machine in that timeframe.
He doesn't mention much was done to it except bulbs and some other stuff.
I will say that overall it's a clean looking machine though. Not CQ (the grid issue) but pretty damn nice.

Seller has since reposted his pinbot with 55 hours of restoration time.

hmm...

smh

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Seller has since reposted his pinbot with 55 hours of restoration time.
hmm...
smh

He must have done another 10 hours of restoration since he first posted it... obviously.

#25 6 years ago

I wonder if next week it'll be 65.

Maybe he wipes it down weekly with a little nouvus and tacks on 10 hours.

#26 6 years ago

I'm a little confused. How can you call a Pin*Bot "restored" when the top of the spiral ramp is cracked off?

#27 6 years ago

He told me there wasn't a crack

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

He told me there wasn't a crack

With him or the machine?

#29 6 years ago

Seller said I've been reported to eBay and pinside.

Robin, am I under arrest?

He's also finally listed all parts missing and the decal.

#30 6 years ago

Why would an HUO need new pinscore displays?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Good point.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Same as if it has a worn out playfield from playing the crap out of it at home. HUO is meaningless.

I have a lot of crap that is worn out in my home, and it is all HUO.

#33 6 years ago

Ya ok, Or the power supply is faulty and doesn't supply the voltage for the older displays.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

because the displays can die regardless of where the game was played and kept. the displays don't know where they are.

#35 6 years ago

It's more likely the case that the displays would die in a NON HUO environment than opposed to only in home use.

It could happen in a HUO pin, but I'd think it would be much less likely.

#36 6 years ago

I have seen and purchase HUO pins in which the condition was terrible. Some people that were just buying them new to play them neglected them. I once purchased a HUO Documented Sorcerer and you could not see any of the playfield, just straight dirt on it. It cleaned up beautifully but I asked the guy why does it look like it does? He had no idea what I was even talking about. He didnt even know the glass came out. Now I am not sure if he was being honest with me about that or not, but I can assure you I know who he purchased the game from and it came from a W/B distributor, the receipts matched the wholesalers files. Some people just dont understand how to care for their games, its that simple.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

because the displays can die regardless of where the game was played and kept. the displays don't know where they are.

I have always thought that displays die from use. At least the gas ones.

#38 6 years ago

Its a nice looking pinbot. I think you're a little too worked up about it.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I have always thought that displays die from use. At least the gas ones.

wires can break, display boards can go bad, HV power can go, they can outgas, display could have just been marginal form the factory and died sooner than average. Just because it was in a home does not mean it wasn't played, or just on. Owner could have been doing work on the machine and broke a display and replaced it with LED set sincei t was easier to find. you just don't know.

#40 6 years ago

Take a deep breath Blackbeard....it will be okay You can't stop all the pinball injustice in this world. Let the market decide, as it looks like it didn't sell and won't sell at that price.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Take a deep breath Blackbeard....it will be okay You can't stop all the pinball injustice in this world. Let the market decide, as it looks like it didn't sell and won't sell at that price.

Was wondering where the h@ll you've been buddy!

AJ and I will be up Saturday in Ohio

#42 6 years ago

I wouldnt pay $1500 for it, but thats my opinion. i just wouldnt want it with the grid all messed up and other issues I see there... it would distract my enjoyment and pleasure of the game.

#43 6 years ago

The main thing everyone needs to consider when doing a restore job is to expect a loss and not a gain in terms of profit.

#44 6 years ago

I paid $900 for mine. I liked that it had no mylar, no missing plastics and untouched electronics and wiring. The major items I had to do were to rebuild the light grid and repair the cracked spiral vortex. Can't wait to sell it for this price. (jk...not for sale!)

#45 6 years ago

Mine was the same, Wayout. Untouched, as it sat in a dentist's office for sometime. Boards just needed updating. No funny hacks, etc.

Some wonder why I bitched and moaned about seller's original ad (of which he's now changed). It was just so misleading, etc. Things weren't mentioned. Missing/cracked plastics weren't mentioned. The decal on the grid not put out there. These are all things one should want to know. At least I would.

Glad he's changed his ad. People like this should be called out I believe. I may have helped an unsuspecting purchaser in wasting his money on something that was a fraud.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Mine was the same, Wayout. Untouched, as it sat in a dentist's office for sometime. Boards just needed updating. No funny hacks, etc.
Some wonder why I bitched and moaned about seller's original ad (of which he's now changed). It was just so misleading, etc. Things weren't mentioned. Missing/cracked plastics weren't mentioned. The decal on the grid not put out there. These are all things one should want to know. At least I would.
Glad he's changed his ad. People like this should be called out I believe. I may have helped an unsuspecting purchaser in wasting his money on something that was a fraud.

In some cases sales ads can be misleading intentionally, pumped up to push a sale, but then there are those that are 'somewhat' in the know, not intentional - but just not in touch with the pinball hobby community. Maybe not maliciously trying to mislead. And still other items are subjective to interpretation and personal value. Not only can a machine be said to have a monetary value, but so can individual parts and condition...what is worth something to you or me or someone else is subject to interpretation. I consider untouched boards without hacks or battery leakage corrosion to contain more value to me than something that has been previously worked on, for example. For my Pinbot, the vortex was cracked but I actually missed it in the pics I was sent in email. I figured I would repair or replace that at some time. I drove 4 hours one way to see it in person, and while the broken vortex was mildly disappointing, it was going to take a lot more than that to be wrong with it for me to drive away without the Pinbot.

I don't think it is wrong to point out your discrepancies with a games condition or price when you see an ad, no matter where you see it for sale: Ebay, CL or even on Pinside. As long as you are polite about it, and voice your opinions why with detail, I think it benefits both buyers and sellers in the end - for those that care to think about it and evaluate it as a part of the sale. There are those who will refuse to listen, and that is their perogative, but sometimes constructive criticism can help both parties to a comfortable conclusion.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside