IMG_1414 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200228-110356_Chrome (resized).jpg
IMG_1408 (resized).jpg
IMG_1407 (resized).jpg
IMG_1406 (resized).jpg
20191027_191140 (resized).jpg
BA39C0DC-AB93-409B-82C8-49B55D91C4B6 (resized).jpeg
12A45CB4-1C9F-4AE6-AB6A-687A745F95FF (resized).jpeg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I would appreciate thoughts on pricing. I purchased from the original owner from 1990. The only modifications I made were: new battery holder and new fan topper (original was discolored and cracked), converted to LEDs, installed Cliffy protectors (there is no wear under the Cliffy protectors and I have pics to prove) and plastic protectors (no cracked or broken plastics or ramps and all original). All of the boards are numbers matching. Playfield is not Diamond Plate but there is no visible wear (some slight wear around the black edge of a few of the compass inserts). Cabinet backbox has chips, scuffs and scratches. See attached images.

IMG_1392 (resized).jpgIMG_1392 (resized).jpgIMG_1393 (resized).jpgIMG_1393 (resized).jpgIMG_1394 (resized).jpgIMG_1394 (resized).jpgIMG_1395 (resized).jpgIMG_1395 (resized).jpgIMG_1396 (resized).jpgIMG_1396 (resized).jpgIMG_1398 (resized).jpgIMG_1398 (resized).jpgIMG_1399 (resized).jpgIMG_1399 (resized).jpgIMG_1400 (resized).jpgIMG_1400 (resized).jpgIMG_1402 (resized).jpgIMG_1402 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Not as much as an HUO should with those cabinet dings. $3400-$3800.

#3 4 years ago

I'd actually guess a little less than that. $3000-3200. But a nice whirlwind none the less.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

I'd actually guess a little less than that. $3000-3200. But a nice whirlwind none the less.

My original thought was $3200-$3500 but bumped it because it’s really hard to find nice Whirlwinds these days and there is renewed interest with the Whirlwind 2.0 project.

#5 4 years ago

3400$

Cab dings suck. Without I’d say 3600$

#6 4 years ago

I have been looking for a whirlwind and can’t find one. I would price it at $3500 and if It didn’t sell in the first week take obo.

#7 4 years ago

Mines a piece of shit compare to this and I wouldn't sell it for less than $2750 (I did pimp it out with leds, custom rubbers, posts, etc.). Mine plays like an absolute champ but cab is crap and has playfield wear. I would rate mine a 6. They are getting hard to find.

#8 4 years ago

I'd pay $3500 for that, nicks be damned... If the inside looks like the outside, this would go in and sit comfortable with my other dinged up cabinets... so tell me again why a cabinet ding is worth $500 bucks on a machine this clean and nice?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I'd pay $3500 for that, nicks be damned... If the inside looks like the outside, this would go in and sit comfortable with my other dinged up cabinets... so tell me again why a cabinet ding is worth $500 bucks on a machine this clean and nice?

Because it is pinside. How many HUO WW do you see?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

So what would one go for in that shape but was Diamond plate ?.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

So what would one go for in that shape but was Diamond plate ?.

+$400

#12 4 years ago

Whats with the gibberish on the displays ?

#13 4 years ago

It’s just not that nice. Dinged cab, chewed up Mylar...

Don’t see this fetching much of a premium over any other nice whirlwind.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dinged head for sure. But the main cab? Hard to tell. Seller should add some more pics including the coin door. Kudos to the seller for pointing out the bad. He should add more of the good. May have a Cubs translite.

I'm not seeing the chewed mylar. Where is that?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from tdddddd:

Dinged head for sure. But the main cab? Hard to tell. Seller should add some more pics including the coin door. Kudos to the seller for pointing out the bad. He should add more of the good. May have a Cubs translite.
I'm not seeing the chewed mylar. Where is that?

By the flippers.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

By the flippers.

I see some insert edge wear in the compass, especially in the South. As far as I can tell this game has no lower playfield mylar. It only has the upper. Nice example.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Chewed up
Mylar?

This is well above average for a ww. Most are beat to shit.

#18 4 years ago

no visible wear , What??

#19 4 years ago

That would be a great playfield to do a slight touch up and cleaning to and then send it to kruzman for a good clearing.

#20 4 years ago

If you are willing to ship, I'd label it $4,200 OBO and give it a week. Whirlwinds don't sit long and I'd be surprised if you got less than $3,800 for it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

That would be a great playfield to do a slight touch up and cleaning to and then send it to kruzman for a good clearing.

I agree. The entire path to making a fine example of WW is much easier and shorter then most games you would find. Having said that, I would put it at 3800+ or keep it. I have never seen HUO and WW in the same sentence before.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

I have never seen HUO and WW in the same sentence before.

I have a HUO WW. And, by the way....It’s real, and it’s spectacular!
AA9DCF49-2B45-41C2-83DA-0C524DA4A0A9 (resized).jpegAA9DCF49-2B45-41C2-83DA-0C524DA4A0A9 (resized).jpeg8E223711-9960-4F38-BE48-B0C4C5E06704 (resized).jpeg8E223711-9960-4F38-BE48-B0C4C5E06704 (resized).jpegE2EE83B7-749F-4FEF-96A1-B13571E1863E (resized).jpegE2EE83B7-749F-4FEF-96A1-B13571E1863E (resized).jpeg
74DE50C0-3244-40B2-8053-5D03D1D4EAAE (resized).jpeg74DE50C0-3244-40B2-8053-5D03D1D4EAAE (resized).jpeg12A45CB4-1C9F-4AE6-AB6A-687A745F95FF (resized).jpeg12A45CB4-1C9F-4AE6-AB6A-687A745F95FF (resized).jpeg

BA39C0DC-AB93-409B-82C8-49B55D91C4B6 (resized).jpegBA39C0DC-AB93-409B-82C8-49B55D91C4B6 (resized).jpeg
#23 4 years ago

I have lockdown bar receiver envy.

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I have a HUO WW. And, by the way....It’s real, and it’s spectacular![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#24 4 years ago

So I believe we can all agree it should be priced somewhere between a 12-pack of good beer and a JJP POTC. Seriously, the range seems roughly between the low and high 3000s. More and better pictures would help dial it in, but it at the very least is a nice(r) Whirlwind, better than ~85 percent of what is out there. I'm very happy I got mine back 15 years ago for $1275.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Whats with the gibberish on the displays ?

Just the animations between frames during attract mode. Display looks fine.

I have a HUO WW. And, by the way....It’s real, and it’s spectacular![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now that's a HUO pin. I've played it and can vouch it's a true beauty. OP's has some obvious condition issues. Condition is everything. Are those smudges and scratches between flippers from the glass or pf?

#26 4 years ago

I have a HUO WW. And, by the way....It’s real, and it’s spectacular!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now that Is an amazing machine. Has to be one of the nicest originals out there.

#27 4 years ago

Do you have documentation that it is HUO? Receipt?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Do you have documentation that it is HUO? Receipt?

I have the same documents that you can see in Blitzburgh99's third picture but no receipt or bill of sale that I can remember.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Now that Is an amazing machine. Has to be one of the nicest originals out there.

I concur. Spectacular example.

#30 4 years ago

I would never claim HUO on any game from this time frame. Once you drop those letters on a game, it's under a microscope from everybody that looks at it. You are better off listing it as a very nice original. People are a little more forgiving on the bumps and bruises as long as you dont claim HUO.
I have a nice whirlwind. New everything except the cabinet art work is original. I was offered 4500 and said no because it's my one keeper.

20191027_191140 (resized).jpg20191027_191140 (resized).jpg
#31 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Just the animations between frames during attract mode. Display looks fine.

Now that's a HUO pin. I've played it and can vouch it's a true beauty. OP's has some obvious condition issues. Condition is everything. Are those smudges and scratches between flippers from the glass or pf?

On the surface of the glass not the PF.

IMG_1406 (resized).jpgIMG_1406 (resized).jpgIMG_1407 (resized).jpgIMG_1407 (resized).jpgIMG_1408 (resized).jpgIMG_1408 (resized).jpg
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I would never claim HUO on any game from this time frame. Once you drop those letters on a game, it's under a microscope from everybody that looks at it. You are better off listing it as a very nice original. People are a little more forgiving on the bumps and bruises as long as you dont claim HUO.
[quoted image]

Good advice. Thank you.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I have a nice whirlwind. New everything except the cabinet art work is original. I was offered 4500 and said no because it's my one keeper.[quoted image]

I agree in most cases. However, If you personally find a gem from an original owner that has had the machine since day 1 and even had it in same spot for that same period, advertising as HUO is a great thing. Condition must reflect the same obviously.

#34 4 years ago

You could probably get 4k for it, if not more. Might need some time to find the right buyer, but it's a popular game.

#35 4 years ago

What was the original owners story? Would just be fun to hear, not trying to discredit the story or anything. How long ago did you buy it from them?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

What was the original owners story? Would just be fun to hear, not trying to discredit the story or anything. How long ago did you buy it from them?

I purchased it from the daughter of the original owner. She inherited the machine from her father who purchased it for the family to enjoy but the family never got into pinball. It was sitting in her living room unplayed for years when I found it. She was going through a divorce. She just wanted it gone.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You could probably get 4k for it, if not more. Might need some time to find the right buyer, but it's a popular game.

Agree with this. What do you guys think @blitzburgh99 (see pics above) example could sell for? I think the right collector would easily pay $6k for it. Thoughts?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipMo:

I purchased it from the daughter of the original owner. She inherited the machine from her father who purchased it for the family to enjoy but the family never got into pinball. It was sitting in her living room unplayed for years when I found it. She was going through a divorce. She just wanted it gone.

I bought it 9 years ago.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Agree with this. What do you guys think @blitzburgh99 (see pics above) example could sell for? I think the right collector would easily pay $6k for it. Thoughts?

I wouldn’t trade it for a NIB Stern Pro.....NIB Stern Premium? Doubtful too. NIB Stern LE or a Big Lebowski might cause me to take a night to sleep on. Haha! Problem is...if I were ever to sell it, I know I’ll never find a nicer one outside of a HEP... my wife is a Kansas native and I’m back living in Kansas now...The Translite says “Welcome
to Kansas”!

As for the OP’s game....The wood edges around the spinners are very crisp. Colors look very good on the spinner decals. Playfield area around slings is very clean.
Backbox has some unfortunate knicks, but a guy like HEP or others could repair like new.

OP: don’t worry about the value...keep it, clean it, and love it!!!

#40 4 years ago

Some of these comments really crack me up. Apparently everyone on Pinside has stayed at the Holiday Inn and I expect someone on here to create the cure for the coronavirus.

#41 4 years ago

After my comments earlier I started looking closer to the pics. It appears the mylar has been removed. The missing paint around the inserts are a give away. I'm sure the mylar was bubbling on the inserts and probably looked bad. Its still a nice playfield, but now needs a new mylar or better yet a touch up and clearcoat. If not it won't stay nice for long.

Screenshot_20200228-110356_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200228-110356_Chrome (resized).jpg
#42 4 years ago

I would value this example similar to others’ comments. It may be HUO but it’s nothing outstanding but much nicer than most. $3000-3300.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

After my comments earlier I started looking closer to the pics. It appears the mylar has been removed. The missing paint around the inserts are a give away

Not necessarily true. If the insert is not level (which is common on these older titles) the black paint will crack and can even chip as the ball rolls over the uneven surfaces.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Not necessarily true. If the insert is not level (which is common on these older titles) the black paint will crack and can even chip as the ball rolls over the uneven surfaces.

You would still see the edges of the mylar near the out lanes and flippers. Couldn't really say for sure unless the machine was in front of me

#45 4 years ago

I have to knock off $500 or so because of the missing rubber on the mini post below the flippers. That has to affect game play.

#46 4 years ago

OP - can you get some pics of the underside of the PF/cab? That might help.

#47 4 years ago

I have a recent documented rebuild that has everything new including the playfield and cabinet.....all of the way down to powdercoated mechs, etc. Not a bump, bruise or scratch.....I wouldn't trade it for any NIB out there. Love that pin. Op...keep it...you will regret letting it go!

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

After my comments earlier I started looking closer to the pics. It appears the mylar has been removed. The missing paint around the inserts are a give away. I'm sure the mylar was bubbling on the inserts and probably looked bad. Its still a nice playfield, but now needs a new mylar or better yet a touch up and clearcoat. If not it won't stay nice for long.[quoted image]

It's much more likely that the mylar was never put down. The lower mylar did not come factory installed, it simply came with the game and the buyer could choose whether to apply it or not. With these older games that did not have a clear coat on the playfield, it didn't take too many plays for the the black around the inserts to start wearing. This is especially true if it was a novice home owner, that didn't keep it clean and didn't change the balls too often, or ever. Judging by the very small amount of wear around the the spinning discs, I do believe this to be a true home use game. A few more pics of the correct areas would clear up the issue very quickly. In my opinion, this is a super nice game and the cosmetic flaws can be fixed pretty easily. Once that's done, this will be a beautiful, mostly original, low play game. I'd rather have this than an old pig with lipstick (beat up routed game with aftermarket playfield and cabinet decals). If I was the OP, I wouldn't give this one away.

#49 4 years ago

friend just sold a beater for $3200 about a month ago, and had 3 people in line behind him. people want this game now. this could easily sell for $3400-3600 in this stupid market. I had a one owner huo I sold 4 yrs ago for $2600, my how times have changed.

#50 4 years ago

I own a DP version. I've owned at least 6-7 WW's since 1993, always upgrading to current.

This is an amazing game (Whirlwind) and is highly desirable. With that said... this game has some conditions to consider. Probably a few more that extra pictures would disclose;

Corners of cabinet / black line around compass / slight wear around spinning discs

I recently sold an exceptionally nice one for $2,800. I would value this game around $3,500 (+/- $200).

@blitzburgh99... now that's a BEAUTY!!! easy $5,000, to as high as $6,000

my .02 opinion
Thanks
Kerry

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-whirlwind-price-check?hl=cserold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.