(Topic ID: 293768)

HUO Prototype Congo - Is it worth anymore?

By Kwaheltrut

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kwaheltrut
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A18A4F3C-14E3-4893-B0F4-9EE6DACC7227 (resized).jpeg
ss flyer (resized).jpg
IMG_20210521_105643366.jpg
congo 030 (resized).JPG
congo 029 (resized).JPG
congo 026 (resized).JPG
congo 013 (resized).JPG
congo 011 (resized).JPG
congo 010 (resized).JPG
congo 009 (resized).JPG
congo 006 (resized).JPG
congo 004 (resized).JPG
congo 003 (resized).JPG
20210520_135559 (resized).jpg
20210520_135659 (resized).jpg
20210520_135723 (resized).jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I agree with Levi and listing it as "I was told HUO" as I don't want to misrepresent anything. Here is a close up if the coin slot. To me it doesn't even look used. There is some wear on the coin door. This game was kept in the house of a non pinhead with kids, so it's not like it didn't see use. I also know that it was serviced at least once because I found a little solder in the cab. The "dirt" in the bottom of the cab looks to me like someone placed a wet rag in there briefly and it allowed the dust to set if that makes sense.

IMG_20210521_105643366.jpgIMG_20210521_105643366.jpg
#52 2 years ago

Honestly, remember - when the prototypes were made, they were made by hand, not on an assembly line. Standardized parts - like legs, coin doors, etc - were grabbed from the nearest pile and wired in. It's possible that coin door was taken off some other game earlier, and was the closest (physically) to the person building this cabinet. It was grabbed and installed.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly, remember - when the prototypes were made, they were made by hand, not on an assembly line. Standardized parts - like legs, coin doors, etc - were grabbed from the nearest pile and wired in. It's possible that coin door was taken off some other game earlier, and was the closest (physically) to the person building this cabinet. It was grabbed and installed.

Very plausible explanation!

#54 2 years ago

They actually did use those single slot doors, on a few protos. I've had two of them. For example, here's the Scared Stiff flyer, showing the coin door on a proto.

ss flyer (resized).jpgss flyer (resized).jpg
#55 2 years ago

My Proto has the same door as well :

A18A4F3C-14E3-4893-B0F4-9EE6DACC7227 (resized).jpegA18A4F3C-14E3-4893-B0F4-9EE6DACC7227 (resized).jpeg
#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Is it possible that the overseas coin door was used because they had extra laying around at the time and it's a prototype not production?

Yes

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok, but if it were HUO why is there wear on the coin slot from Franks or Lire or whatever going in? And that also doesn't explain the "route filth" on the bottom of the cabinet.
I'd just say it's a rare proto in super nice shape and drop the HUO, personally. But then I'm not a masochist hungry for price police abuse. At the very least, how about an "I was told it was HUO" to provide a little cover?
The game is clearly in gorgeous condish but these are the exact kind of "tells" HUO-seekers are looking for. I'd be interested in seeing if there's dirty fingerprints under the coin door/cab as well.

“Filth”. That’s a little harsh.
Looks like a stain. Someone probably spilled a can of coke during assembly

#58 2 years ago

Your thread compelled an F.S. ad for a proto at $9199.00

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Your thread compelled an F.S. ad for a proto at $9199.00

I don't feel that I was really able to nail down what I felt I should ask for it. Some people thought it was worth a couple hundred more than a regular Congo. Others thought it was worth a lot more. I had to think to myself, what would Stern do?? So, that's what I did.

To be honest, I might be having second thoughts about selling it.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I don't feel that I was really able to nail down what I felt I should ask for it. Some people thought it was worth a couple hundred more than a regular Congo. Others thought it was worth a lot more. I had to think to myself, what would Stern do?? So, that's what I did.
To be honest, I might be having second thoughts about selling it.

I certainly wouldn't let this go...HIPPOS!

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I certainly wouldn't let this go...HIPPOS!

That might end up being the case. Unfortunately, that means I need to let my Gorgar go and I just don't know if I'm ready for that...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-prototype-congo-is-it-worth-anymore/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.