(Topic ID: 55559)

HUO POTC $4500 offered to me. Am I crazy not to take it?

By VolunteerPin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PotCSP_001.jpg
piratesotC_002.jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I've been offered what I've been told is a perfect POTC, 1 owner, HUO with his guess of maybe only 20 plays on it. He has offered it to me for $4500. I've never seen the pin but have played POTC on route and did enjoy it the one night I played.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

(This is crazy since this offer came only 1 hour after I paid for a High Speed pin sitting in someone's garage for 10 years).

Thanks again for all your help.

Darin

#2 10 years ago

I don't see $4500, even for the HUO of this title, a crazy deal. $3500, maybe. $2500, you're crazy not to take it.

#3 10 years ago

I saw an HUO sit on CL at $4000 for 2-3 weeks recently, looked to be in really nice shape too. I don't think $4500 is anywhere near a steal for this.

#4 10 years ago

I'd say 3500 tops...

#5 10 years ago

I must be in different market. If I wanted that low play HUO POTC, I'd be all over it.

#6 10 years ago

I wouldn't be interested at that price.

#7 10 years ago

Up here in Canada yes that would be a steal for that amount of plays. They go for $4500 in fair condition in Canada.

#8 10 years ago

I haven't seen an HUO POTC for less than $4500 in forever. An HUO with 20 plays is a new machine. And we're talking a new, fully featured machine with lots of toys and lots of things to do, also built in a quality fashion. It's not like today's pro models, many of which are so laughable that it makes spending $2000 more for the premium seem like a "good" deal. Of course, this has proven to be a smart play for Stern as many have been suckered into this pricing scheme. Pay no attention to $3500 or $2500. You wouldn't be able to find a beater for that-- not even close.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I haven't seen an HUO POTC for less than $4500 in forever. An HUO with 20 plays is a new machine. And we're talking a new, fully featured machine with lots of toys and lots of things to do, also built in a quality fashion. It's not like today's pro models, many of which are so laughable that it makes spending $2000 more for the premium seem like a "good" deal. Of course, this has proven to be a smart play for Stern as many have been suckered into this pricing scheme. Pay no attention to $3500 or $2500. You wouldn't be able to find a beater for that-- not even close.

I beg to differ.

#10 10 years ago

I have seen great condition HUOs go for $5k.

So that is a good price at $4500, you won't be sorry you bought it if you get tired of it.

It shows like a 'premium' - lots of toys, has very good appeal, still has a relevant theme and is a blast to play, in my opinion.

#11 10 years ago

And I think you can find a beater for 3-3500, but not a nice one for sure.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Agree

#13 10 years ago

Not a steal, but if you wanted a POTC maybe get him to 4k? I know they can hit 4.5 or even 5 with some nice mods since back alley creations has some great stuff for this.

Although, for 20 plays? That is basically NIb and I can see it commanding 5k

#14 10 years ago

Great buy , several months ago in W-S auction POTC in great condition, but not as good as your description, sold for $4,700 + fees. I have one myself, fun game.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

You're right. Maybe, just maybe you can find a beater for $3-3500 if you're lucky. This is a great family game with a wide (beyond pinheads) fan base because of the theme alone. You'd be lucky to find a populated playfield for $2500. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the most expensive game to make in Stern's history.

#16 10 years ago

Hey Pdxmonkey, if you know of a great deal on one of these around this area, please PM me because this is a pin that is on my "shortlist". It sounds like maybe you have a good source for finding deals!

#17 10 years ago

It is the #1 game played by my teenage kids and their friends when they come over - even over TSPP. Family loves it. It will prob never leave my collection.

#18 10 years ago

I think $4500 is a good price, not great, but good. However, I would highly doubt the 20 plays.

I recently picked up a HUO POTC from a guy I've been working on for about 2 years. He flat out told me they hardly ever play the game, other then during holidays when family comes over. Once I got the game home, checking the audits showed a little better than 2000 plays. I know that's correct as it still has the original code installed. This guy would never have known how to update it.

I was a bit surprised by the number until I got thinking about his twin 5 year old boys playing. I pictured them hitting four games and just plunging the ball not knowing what to do. Of course, most of his family probably did the same thing.

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I've been offered what I've been told is a perfect POTC, 1 owner, HUO with his guess of maybe only 20 plays on it. He has offered it to me for $4500. I've never seen the pin but have played POTC on route and did enjoy it the one night I played.
I would love to hear your thoughts.
(This is crazy since this offer came only 1 hour after I paid for a High Speed pin sitting in someone's garage for 10 years).
Thanks again for all your help.
Darin

#19 10 years ago

I should mention, I had a HUO POTC that I bought NIB when they first came out. The only mod I did to it was installing a brass trim kit on it. I sold it to a local retailer a couple of months ago for $5000 and he sold it recently to a local homeowner for $6100.

It's a great game and if you're really interested in one, I'd buy it for $4500.

#20 10 years ago

I think the title is worth that price. But I do not think your crazy for passing.

It is a good deal but not a great deal if it is pristine.

Just not really your cup of tea or timing maybe off with other purchases or gameroom plans.

Whatever the case no crazy present in my mind.

#21 10 years ago

l traded a well routed LOTR for mine. My POTC has no flaws besides the ship that takes a beating and it needs a new compass decal. I don't regret the trade for a minute, but l used to play it on location when new, love the theme, love the gameplay, and had been looking for one.
The ship is a MM castle knockoff (a great thing imo), but l prefer the action of the ship a bit more.
A huo example with 20 plays for $4500 (the price of a current nib pro stern) is a fair deal for many reasons. One, the build quality is top notch, with great toys, metal apron, slide rails, full side rails. Two, they don't make them anymore, and one with a few plays on it is tough to find.
It's a great fun pin. Just my two cents.

#22 10 years ago

The ship is a MM castle knock-off? Huh? I don't see it.

At $4500 it's not a deal. About what it should be, maybe a tad high even.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I recently picked up a HUO POTC from a guy I've been working on for about 2 years

You bought another pin???

So much for downsizing.....

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

At $4500 it's not a deal. About what it should be, maybe a tad high even.

I think it comes down to location. I sold a nice one (not HUO) that needed shopped (not badly, but it wasn't brand spanking fresh either) in March for $4300. I had 5 people lined up to buy it the day I put it up for sale.

I sold another one with a faded front cabinet, and some other minor stuff, but freshly shopped for $3700 out the door.

$4500 for a low play HUO sounds spot on to be honest.....

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I would love to hear your thoughts

It is in the ball park from what I have seen. It is not on your Wish List. I would apply the $4,500 on an other STERN. Not to derail the POTC topic but my thoughts for you are look in to The Avengers L E. Good Luck.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think $4500 is a good price, not great, but good. However, I would highly doubt the 20 plays.
I recently picked up a HUO POTC from a guy I've been working on for about 2 years. He flat out told me they hardly ever play the game, other then during holidays when family comes over. Once I got the game home, checking the audits showed a little better than 2000 plays. I know that's correct as it still has the original code installed. This guy would never have known how to update it.
I was a bit surprised by the number until I got thinking about his twin 5 year old boys playing. I pictured them hitting four games and just plunging the ball not knowing what to do. Of course, most of his family probably did the same thing.

Great points. Always good to check ball time avg too. Great tell tale sign

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

for real?

bash a castle, bash a ship

Gate on castle opens, drops the bridge.
Sails of ship drop, ship rocks for it's final hit

Defeat a castle, towers flop around. Defeat a ship, ship drops into the playfield.

Castle you shoot once behind to defeat it. Kraken , you shoot several times behind ship to defeat.

I like the Castle, but prefer the ships action and play more.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

It is in the ball park from what I have seen. It is not on your Wish List. I would apply the $4,500 on an other STERN. Not to derail the POTC topic but my thoughts for you are look in to The Avengers L E. Good Luck.

This is why I like pinball... I look at his current collection and think POTC would be a great fit. The game is very stop and go, and plays far differently than what he has in his lineup. OP, if you don't like stop and go, I wouldnt pickup a POTC.... I have a wide variety of pins, and when guests come over, POTC gets a lot of play from players and non-players.....It is easy enough up front to understand what is going on, but deep enough that 4 winds is a challenge for the better players.

#29 10 years ago

How can anyone have a HUO game that's been sitting around for a while with only 20 games on it?

I will put that many games on a NIB the first hour after I take it out of the box.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

for real?
bash a castle, bash a ship
Gate on castle opens, drops the bridge.
Sails of ship drop, ship rocks for it's final hit
Defeat a castle, towers flop around. Defeat a ship, ship drops into the playfield.
Castle you shoot once behind to defeat it. Kraken , you shoot several times behind ship to defeat.
I like the Castle, but prefer the ships action and play more.

Yeah they are both multi-staged bash toys, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a castle knock-off. I see what you mean though...similar in a way.

#31 10 years ago

I am looking for a decent POTC so if anybody runs across one of those $35-$3700. games please let me know.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah they are both multi-staged bash toys, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a castle knock-off. I see what you mean though...similar in a way.

Very similar. Perhaps enough to say the POTC ship was inspired by the MM castle

#33 10 years ago

Depends... are you jones-ing for a POTC? That price is about going rate for that title/condition. But its not like you're going to flip it for a profit or anything like that...

My 2 cents...
Jaz

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

+1
It is an amazing price! Routed ones up here go for $4500. You will be kicking yourself in the ass for not picking this up. You will always refer to it as "the one that got away"!

#35 10 years ago

You aren't crazy if you don't take it. It's not an incredible deal at that price, and the game isn't uncommon to find. If you want one, buy it. If you're not looking for one, I wouldn't bother.

#36 10 years ago

sounds like a good price.

#37 10 years ago

Great price for a crazy fun pin

#38 10 years ago

$4500 is an average price for this title, $4000 would go down better, but you should play it more before you pull the trigger on a $4000 pin....after 50 games you might have second thoughts. My friend just bought an ac/dc pro with mods for 3500 down in FL that was a crazy deal.

#39 10 years ago

I have one coming up on Mr. Pinball in a couple of days, gold trim, Matt McKee mods including the speaker panel and black balls, Pirate figures, skull and crossed swords speaker inserts, bony flippers, cannon ball shooter rod, red Pinbits display cover and shaker motor, leds including the cannons in the ship and pirate pistol topper that flashes when you hit the ship.
5.5K.
I guess I will see if it sells for this price.

piratesotC_002.jpgpiratesotC_002.jpg PotCSP_001.jpgPotCSP_001.jpg

#40 10 years ago

I don't really love the game, but yet I can't bring myself to sell it have had it for 6 years. It is kind of really nice looking, best toy in pinball (or one of them) and kids and non-pinball people love it. Also mine it seems to be built like a tank at least mine is.

I wonder what the downside is? I mean if you really dislike it you probably would still be able to sell it for a decent price. Close to what you paid.

I would not trust 20 plays, but mine has probably 400-500 plays and looks totally minty.

#41 10 years ago

Speaker panel ^^^^^ is a nice touch

#42 10 years ago

If 10 plays is accurate and condition matches that, I would be all over it. That condition is close to NOB and should fetch at least $5500 in my area.

The real question though is whether you like the game enough to own it and can you afford it right now.

#43 10 years ago

I just picked one up. My game is in excellant shape and while non documented could be HUO. I was not sure at first about the game but my belief has always been if I feel I can re sell it and only lose a couple hundred I usually go for it. That being said, I have about 20 games in on POTC and i must admit I really like the machine. Besides being a good looking game , the play / rules are pretty straight forward ( as compared to say acdc) and it is fun. My wife will love it once she plays it. Offer say 4K and see what happens. Also I believe this game will also improve with a shaker and speaker up grade. Good luck

#44 10 years ago

It's the last great Stern before they went cheap with toys. It is worth $5K all day long. Great game with deep rules and satisfying shots.

#45 10 years ago

How about we all stop paying crazy prices for these games and let them come back down to earth.
When the bottom falls out of the market there will be a lot of pinheads sitting on a big loss.
And yes the bottom will fall, its just the question of when.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

How about we all stop paying crazy prices for these games and let them come back down to earth.
When the bottom falls out of the market there will be a lot of pinheads sitting on a big loss.
And yes the bottom will fall, its just the question of when.

Well, let's get this bottom a fallin already. I'll take your TZ for $2500

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Well, let's get this bottom a fallin already. I'll take your TZ for $2500

Sounds like a great idea. How about your TOTAN for lets say $2000?

#48 10 years ago

I had a really nice POTC for sale recently for $5K. I had a large number of inquiries and several offers over $4500 before I sold it.

Is it a steal? Not if you are planning to try to make a ton of money on it. But it is a really nice machine. Desirable with a large crowd and you could turn around and sell it (assuming the market stays where it is - that is a big assumption).

#49 10 years ago

Great game for a large collection, Get a Metallica pro instead

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Sounds like a great idea. How about your TOTAN for lets say $2000?

Totan would be $3000 is TZ is gonna get $2500. If you sell me TZ for $3500 Ill sell you TOTAN for $3000, no problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Orlando, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 218.00
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-potc-4500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.