(Topic ID: 147894)

HUO Pinbot in awesome cond, Until NAVL got ahold of it. Need advice.

By TheOnlyest

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
070798552760lg_(resized).jpg
122_(resized).jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

That sucks if it really was damaged in shipping. But no way would I expect for them to replace the cabinet. Send a lot of pics to a good restorer and get a quote for it to be fixed and have NAVL cover that. It seems crazy to replace the entire cabinet when from the looks of the damage it could be easily and pretty cheaply repaired to as good as before condition.

This. And if I might inject a little common sense, they're aren't going to shell out more than what was paid for the ENTIRE game or even what the estimated worth is, in a claim. I'd love to hear what you paid for this HUO game, because when I bought my HUO Firepower from a little old lady I paid $300.

The extremely nice original Pinbot I just bought, I gave $1600 for. I'm guessing you're somewhere in the middle.

Shipping damage sucks, but if you want something to "really" cry about...this is what NAVL did to the WHO2 I sold to a guy one state away. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/navl-messed-up-a-whitewater-w-the-legs-on He didn't get his game for another 2 months.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

You do understand that when someone "comes out ahead", someone else pays for it? And that someone would be the other customers of NAVL.

Yeah I get this concept completely. I paid for it so I'm happy to hear someone else getting this bullshit company to pay up for their incompetence. Maybe it's too early in the morning for you but I wouldn't compare a guy getting his pin damaged from a shipping company to some thug getting killed and the family suing the city for wrongful death. What's wrong with you?

#53 8 years ago

Everyone needs to settle their asses down for a minute.

First, we have not seen the before pictures yet. That wood looks darkened, like the damage could have been done years ago.

Second, we have not heard if the game was shipped legs on or legs off.

Third, we have not even seen a good picture of the damage with the leg off.

Let's just cool off until we have seen all the facts.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

this is the lower left corner of the back of the main cabinet.

Are you crazy? Replace the cabinet?

It's still HUO as it sits. Damage not even visible when against the wall. If anything it adds character and a story.

Here's what I'd do:

070798552760lg_(resized).jpg070798552760lg_(resized).jpg

#55 8 years ago

I've had horrible luck with NAVL... the first and only time I shipped with them they fuxed up the cabinet of my DE Star Trek:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/albums/72157605111405030
The first 5 photos.

I'm not sure I ever got them to take ownership nor provide me with compensation.

They are dead to me.

#56 8 years ago

No way that damage happened in transit. 70 year old casual owners have a whole different definition of "perfect" than hard core pinball collectors do. Your average person wouldn't look or give a shit about the back of the machine. It probably isn't even HUO.

#57 8 years ago

I bought a HUO NGG many years ago for 2700 shipped, NAVL damaged it by pushing the shooter rod into the cabinet causing damage. It was still playable, but needed some cab work around the shooter housing. Funny thing is, i had before shipping pictures which showed the machine was wrapped in a certain color wrap, but when i got it, the front was wrapped in a different color wrap showing me, they had seen the damage and rewrapped it to try and hide it. When i called, i advised him of the damage and he told me basically sorry, "your wife signed for it" (since i was at work when it was delivered). So, i think i flew off the handle, advised him of the before and after pics and he said they would send a claim form. So still pissed, i called one of the girls who set up my shipping and explained to her (very calm) how pissed i was especially at the guy i talked to there. She was very cool and knew i used them alot at the time. She said get estimates to fix everything. I told her it would need a new cabinet, decals (if they made them at the time, which they didn't), labor ect as i wanted it perfect since it was HUO. I got estimates, which totaled 2695.00 and sent them in. About 22 pages of stuff (quotes, pics of parts from bay area ect.) Then did not hear from them for about 2 weeks with no calls back. Then out of the blue, i got a letter with a check from navl, i was thinking here comes my 100 bucks, but i looked at the check and it was for 2695.00?? Wow, called to thank her for all she did and she said hope the game gets fixed. I just kept it the way it was, until i sold it years later. So i guess its a crap shot with them. Sorry for the long story.

#58 8 years ago

Ok guys, first off, I never intended this thread to become any kind of pissing contest or hostility outlet! I was just trying to do some preemptive intel on my options for fixing the damage. As a relatively new "registered" user here (altho ive been a lurker for many years) I dont want to get off on the wrong foot with any of you, I want to earn the respect of this community as a positively contributing member.

As I stated earlier, I had not put eyes on the machine at the time of my original posting... now that I have, I am going to give a more realistic assessment of the situation, damage and condition of the game... which will hopefully settle things down a bit.

First off, there's no question that the damage is new, based on the clearly freshly exposed wood. Altho I respect everyone's opinion, its impossible to know how the damage was caused, but i'm assuming it was forklift related. The damaged area is only about 2" x 2" triangle. Even my interpretation of that pic my wife sent, was that the damaged area was much larger. Only one layer of the plywood was torn off, so realistically, there is no affect on the structural stability... it's purely cosmetic.

Now, as far as the overall condition of the machine... the cabinet is otherwise outstanding, as far as what you'd expect from a 30-year-old game, i'd give it and easy 9/10. The backbox has some minor bumps and bruises on the sides and because the back panel is particle board on these units, it has typical decay from age, so i'd rate the backbox cabinetry 7.5/10. The inside of the backbox and boards/wiring harness are absolutely flawless and virtually untouched, no battery acid damage either, an absolute 10/10!
Transilght and glass are also perfect, displays are all crisp, bright and perfect, but clearly one of the alpha's were replaced at some point.

Onto the playfield... The game has been played, this was not a barn-find time-capsule, nor did I expect it to be. The playfield has the full OEM mylar and it's in excellent shape, other than needing a polish and wax badly. There is very minor wear in a couple spots that have no mylar, and all the outholes have normal typical wear, but nowhere near as bad as a route machine!
The two notorious plastics (visor inside cover and under-ramp piece) are a little banged-up, but not as demolished as most ive seen... I will be looking to replace those (good luck, I know). There are a couple screws, nylon acorns, etc missing, but that's no biggie, but all the playfield elements are functioning normally. and the underside of playfiled and wiring harness are flawless and appear untouched, there is absolutely no hack soldering or jerry-rigged "repairs" what-so-ever!

In summary... altho I retract and regret using the word "pristine", I am very happy with the condition of the machine (not withstanding the cabinet damage) and I give it an overall condition rating of 7/10 in its current state, and with nothing more than some good old fashioned elbow grease, it will be a 8.5+/10 once I shop it out.

Lastly, I think i'm going to forget about filing a claim with NAVL, its not worth all the hassle, I can fix the damage myself, and nobody will ever see it anyway. I am not concerned about resale value, this machine is way too clean and nice NOT to keep in my collection permanently. I may however, ask that NAVL refund a portion of the shipping fee in light of the damage, but I fully expect them to tell me to "go F myself", and if they do, I will never use them again, which is a shame because I have budgeted to buy up to 8 more games in the new year, and I will be restricted to buying in the southwest region.

Lets just call this a false-alarm, for which I apologize for stirring up a totally unintentional heated debate. Lets all be friends again, please?

PS. I found a new under-visor plastic and its on the way, but If anyone has that under-ramp plastic for sale, please PM me, I will buy it.
Steve

#59 8 years ago

a liitle wood filler or bondo , a good sanding and prep job , a black rattle can and you will never tell .

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everyone needs to settle their asses down for a minute.
First, we have not seen the before pictures yet. That wood looks darkened, like the damage could have been done years ago.
Second, we have not heard if the game was shipped legs on or legs off.
Third, we have not even seen a good picture of the damage with the leg off.
Let's just cool off until we have seen all the facts.

Vid, we will never see before pics.

#62 8 years ago

Interesting thread. Just bought this "Tommy"; the table was given by Data East to an MTV executive,played by various entertainers, and always HUO. Delivered with this damage and the seller was very upset - he has helped me file the claim with NAVL. Any suggestions as to repair or other matters would be appreciated.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#63 8 years ago

NAVL, STI just set up the shipment , after that you are at the mercy of the assholes at every other hub that the machine stops at.

#64 8 years ago

I've done 6x with NAVL with 3 damaged. Terrible way to ship a pin.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Hi guys, what should have been a day of celebration, had turned into just another "Murphy" day...
I scored a HUO Pinbot machine from an elderly couple who bought it 29 years ago. I sent NAVL/Beltmann to pick it up and deliver it to me in Las Vegas. Upon delivery, it wasn't awesome anymore...
So now they're gonna have me jumping through hoops and filling out paperwork to make an insurance claim, but there's one thing I dont know how to obtain...
How do I get an estimate to replace the cabinet on a 30 year old machine made by a company that no longer manufactures pinball machines?
Sorry about the tiny pic, i'll add a better one later today. in case its hard to tell, this is the lower left corner of the back of the main cabinet.
122_(resized).jpg

Personally I would just suck it up and move on. I would just bondo it nicely and paint it with a matching black. Being a black area I doubt anyone but you will ever know about the previous damage if you take your time.

You could spend the hours pursuing a claim...but I think it would take less time and be less of a bother to just fix it yourself.

- Kevin

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Fmf1952:

Any suggestions as to repair or other matters would be appreciated.

Clean out any loose flakes, glue the section back down with a slow set wood glue.

Need big clamps and a flat plate to put even pressure on the patch.

#67 8 years ago

stop shipping machines unless they are broken down, and fully packed and stretch wrapped properly. then use a freight company. take pictures and video before packing and when you get the game inspect it fully at a shipping dock where you pick up the game in front of the shipper.
use a pallet that is large enough to not have any part of the machine hanging off or even close.
i understand its convenient not doing much of the above, but if you want it done right, take my advice.

BTW- how does sti use a forklift when items aren't on pallets? if they are using forklifts on items that aren't wrapped, crated, palleted, that really amazes me. I highly doubt they use forklifts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-pinbot-in-pristine-cond-until-navl-got-ahold-of-it-need-advice/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.