IMAG3268.jpg
IMAG3266.jpg
IMAG3267.jpg
IMAG3265.jpg
IMAG3263.jpg
IMAG3258.jpg
IMAG3261.jpg
IMAG3260.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

Just because it has wear doesn't mean that it's been routed. I've seen HUO machines that had as much wear and worse as routed machines.

The cabinet head has way too much damage and scuffs for a HUO machine. The Axel hole wear isn't too bad for a routed game. Chips in the coin door paint and wear around both flipper buttons. Sorry to be so candid but its been routed. Still it should clean up nicely.

Kim

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Personally I think a touch up of the axel hole would look better than one of those huge Cliffys. I think the scoop Cliffys for games like this - and MB for example - look like big old stretched out, fat, sloppy, va....well, better just leave it at that.

I agree. A professionally repaired scoop hole in any game would look better. I'll wager even Cliffy himself would tell you that.

The problem is that 96% of the collectors (my guesstimate) don't have the knowledge, skill, tools, time, or money to properly repair a blown out hole such as the one pictured. Google the process to see how detailed and laborious the effort is. Air brush painting alone after wood repair is way beyond my skill level and for most.

The purpose of a Cliffy Protector is to cover the wear and cease any further damage. Most importantly, the average Joe can do it by himself with basic tools sometimes within minutes. And once installed it can make the entire playfield look new. It really is an elegant devise and worth its weight in gold.

Note to OP. Install a Cliffy and then brag about it. Not only looks great but it adds value. I've got one on my game.

I think a touch up of the axel hole would look better

I'm re-posting a picture from this thread. Please tell us how you would "Touch up" the Axel hole damage. You make it sound simple.

Kim

255005-i.jpg255005-i.jpg

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Do they not make a cliffy for the Axle hole?

Yes sir. Got one on my game. Get the ramp protectors also.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/gnr.htm

Kim

#29 9 years ago

1) aren't there wood puttys/fillers that could be used on these areas and then clear coated that would basically repair/protect the area?

In brief, yes you could. But to do this you have to disconnect and remove the playfield. This is followed by depopulating the playfield on both the top and bottom. Thats a lot of work right there.

if there's serious damage under the cliffy - such as a dramatic slope or fall off in the edge - will the cliffy just get bent and maybe contribute more damage?

In extreme examples the Cliffy can get bent up. But that's when playfield damage is so severe its beyond a Cliffy's capability and shouldn't have been installed in the first place. In cases like that a wood filler would need to be applied, sanded and shaped to support the Cliffy.

The Axle hole pictured in this thread is a great candidate for a Cliffy. Install it, forget it and it looks great.

Good questions Family Arcade.

Kim

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I will disagree with this. That scoop wear will require repair, unless you want the Cliffy protector to be beat into the shape of the wear rather quickly. Cliffy himself will tell you this, and I believe the page for the Axl scoop says the same. I know I had to repair mine before I put a protector on my GnR.
FWIW, the process itself wasn't bad, but it was time consuming. The Axl hole was my first time ever at doing a scoop repair, and I am happy with how it came out. I did a spot clear to help seal in the paint using varathane, and have had no issues at all. The repair has held up for 7 or 8 years now.

No argument. I think its probably a judgment call with the game right in front of you.
My playfield required no such repair prep for the Cliffy.

Kim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-guns-and-roses-gnr-price-check?tu=mr68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.