IMAG3266.jpg
IMAG3267.jpg
IMAG3265.jpg
IMAG3263.jpg
IMAG3258.jpg
IMAG3261.jpg
IMAG3260.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have a buddy that has a Guns and Roses pin he is looking to sell. It is in really good condition from what I remember and best I know it has been HUO. There were never any signs of any sort of security system installed on it. Will try to post pics later. I'll be going over to re-check it out and update accordingly.

#2 9 years ago

HUO doesn't mean it's nice. With an accurate description, maybe some pics and some details, I'm sure we can help.

I can tell you though, when they pop up, it's usually around $4K - $4,500. Those games in that price range are typically nice, maybe a little wear outside the Axl hole, and nice cabs with no cab fade. Some of these GNR's are faded, most of them are okay I think. They are shopped, strong flippers, bouncy rubbers, maybe slightly cracked ramps but overall in good shape. That sort of thing.

Quoted from bub2010:

I have a buddy that has a Guns and Roses pin he is looking to sell. It is in really good condition from what I remember and best I know it has been HUO. There were never any signs of any sort of security system installed on it. Will try to post pics later. I'll be going over to re-check it out and update accordingly.

#3 9 years ago

This depends heavily on if neo is buying or selling.

#4 9 years ago

Indeed on the "huo not meaning nice". My friend had one before and this is another one he picked up... so this was the first time I had seen this one. It needs a big cleaning and shopping overall, but everything seemed to work fine as far as I could see in playing it. I took some phone pics which show some of the biggest wear points. Cabinet color is very good and dark. There are a couple of plastic broken... Axl and the plastic down the left side. FWIW this one has the BLACK ball track and not silver. Someone mentioned that this was an earlier generation that had the black rails. Anyway.. here are the pics. Based on condition looks like he's in the $3500 range and prolly a bit more if it is cleaned and shopped out.

IMAG3260.jpgIMAG3260.jpgIMAG3261.jpgIMAG3261.jpgIMAG3258.jpgIMAG3258.jpgIMAG3263.jpgIMAG3263.jpgIMAG3265.jpgIMAG3265.jpgIMAG3267.jpgIMAG3267.jpgIMAG3266.jpgIMAG3266.jpgIMAG3268.jpgIMAG3268.jpgIMAG3269.jpgIMAG3269.jpgIMAG3272.jpgIMAG3272.jpg

#5 9 years ago

I'm interested if he's looking for a buyer, unless original poster is buying

#6 9 years ago

While it's obviously routed, it should clean up reasonably well. Your price range is attractive considering the decals are not faded, but there is playfield wear. GLWS

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

While it's obviously routed, it should clean up reasonably well. Your price range is attractive considering the decals are not faded, but there is playfield wear. GLWS

Just because it has wear doesn't mean that it's been routed. I've seen HUO machines that had as much wear and worse as routed machines.

#8 9 years ago

Coin door lock drilled out as well,price is not bad though if your thinking around 3500.00

#9 9 years ago

I think that's a good fair price. HUO, not HUO, in that condition you can't advertise it as HUO so as far as I'm concerned it's not.

Quoted from bub2010:

looks like he's in the $3500 range

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

Just because it has wear doesn't mean that it's been routed. I've seen HUO machines that had as much wear and worse as routed machines.

The cabinet head has way too much damage and scuffs for a HUO machine. The Axel hole wear isn't too bad for a routed game. Chips in the coin door paint and wear around both flipper buttons. Sorry to be so candid but its been routed. Still it should clean up nicely.

Kim

#11 9 years ago

I was going by what my friend said sight unseen and I am not interested in it for myself. Overall a shop and a cliffy for the hole and it would look a lot better. The glass was in need of a bottom cleaning also. Might be a local or 2 checking it out tomorrow. If it does not sell over the weekend he will likely do some cleaning and I'll take updated pics and put in the proper FS category.

#12 9 years ago

Yikes. With wood showing like that on the center of the playfield, I would be out anything over $3000 shipped.

#13 9 years ago

^^^ Painful catch but true,

#14 9 years ago

This example also appears to have the infamous first revision of the shooter wire form (in black). It contributes to launch malfunctions. Here is a link/thread that discusses the issue.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-des-upgraded-guns-n-roses-shooter-ramp

Hard for me to say what this example is worth, since I wouldn't pursue it.

snaroff

#15 9 years ago

I disagree. A ton of GNR's have at least a little bit of wear in that area. It's really similar to the lost mine kickout on WH20, it doesn't make it worth any less because a large percentage of games have it.

No wear might make the game worth more, but a little wear there doesn't make the game worth less than average.

Quoted from markmon:

Yikes. With wood showing like that on the center of the playfield, I would be out anything over $3000 shipped.

#16 9 years ago

I've heard that some folks have seen a wood wear line from the hole all the way through the center GNR circle....

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

I was going by what my friend said sight unseen and I am not interested in it for myself. Overall a shop and a cliffy for the hole and it would look a lot better. The glass was in need of a bottom cleaning also. Might be a local or 2 checking it out tomorrow. If it does not sell over the weekend he will likely do some cleaning and I'll take updated pics and put in the proper FS category.

Personally I think a touch up of the axel hole would look better than one of those huge Cliffys. I think the scoop Cliffys for games like this - and MB for example - look like big old stretched out, fat, sloppy, va....well, better just leave it at that.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Personally I think a touch up of the axel hole would look better than one of those huge Cliffys. I think the scoop Cliffys for games like this - and MB for example - look like big old stretched out, fat, sloppy, va....well, better just leave it at that.

I agree. A professionally repaired scoop hole in any game would look better. I'll wager even Cliffy himself would tell you that.

The problem is that 96% of the collectors (my guesstimate) don't have the knowledge, skill, tools, time, or money to properly repair a blown out hole such as the one pictured. Google the process to see how detailed and laborious the effort is. Air brush painting alone after wood repair is way beyond my skill level and for most.

The purpose of a Cliffy Protector is to cover the wear and cease any further damage. Most importantly, the average Joe can do it by himself with basic tools sometimes within minutes. And once installed it can make the entire playfield look new. It really is an elegant devise and worth its weight in gold.

Note to OP. Install a Cliffy and then brag about it. Not only looks great but it adds value. I've got one on my game.

I think a touch up of the axel hole would look better

I'm re-posting a picture from this thread. Please tell us how you would "Touch up" the Axel hole damage. You make it sound simple.

Kim

255005-i.jpg255005-i.jpg

#19 9 years ago

I think 3-3500 is fair

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I think 3-3500 is fair

That is where I'm in

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I disagree. A ton of GNR's have at least a little bit of wear in that area. It's really similar to the lost mine kickout on WH20, it doesn't make it worth any less because a large percentage of games have it.
No wear might make the game worth more, but a little wear there doesn't make the game worth less than average.

Any play field that has wood showing straight in the middle is junk. This would meet your standards??

#22 9 years ago

Do they not make a cliffy for the Axle hole?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Do they not make a cliffy for the Axle hole?

Yes sir. Got one on my game. Get the ramp protectors also.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/gnr.htm

Kim

#24 9 years ago

Cliffy makes a thin version for holes with minor wear. Looks much better...

IMG_8750.JPGIMG_8750.JPG
#25 9 years ago

I disagree and it would, yes. So every WH20 with a small dot of wood near the lost mine is junk? That's a bit extreme in my opinion.

I'm not saying wear up the middle in a TSPP is acceptable. But what I am saying is that there are a small handful of games in which a large percentage are prone to wear in undesirable ways. Unless you get really lucky, or spend huge money, your GNR probably has wear there so it's acceptable.

Quoted from markmon:

Any play field that has wood showing straight in the middle is junk. This would meet your standards??

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Cliffy makes a thin version for holes with minor wear. Looks much better..

Definitely better! The thin cliffy hole protectors look fine. The big ones are ugly and also scream "this game was blown out to hell!". Just my opinion of course.

Kim, I totally agree that repairs of this nature are complicated and require solid skills. And if were talking "restoration quality" that's a different conversation entirely. I've never owned a game that needed to be repaired like that. Or needed a cliffy to hide (protect) visible damage. I have two questions.

1) aren't there wood puttys/fillers that could be used on these areas and then clear coated that would basically repair/protect the area? Forget the artwork and painting...I'm just talking about filling in the wear. I would much rather see a cleared, wood appearance than the protector. Even if you screw up the job....put a cliffy over it to hide it....that's what you're suggesting anyway. Just curious how hard this approach would be, assuming it would be an improvement affording both protection and cosmetics.

2) if there's serious damage under the cliffy - such as a dramatic slope or fall off in the edge - will the cliffy just get bent and maybe contribute more damage? I recall hearing how this might happen in SOME applications...I do not know if this is the proper example of that, which is why I'm asking.

#27 9 years ago

$3500 ish is a decent price. It can be fixed up quite nice, but requires some skill to fix the PF properly

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from bub2010:

Indeed on the "huo not meaning nice". My friend had one before and this is another one he picked up... so this was the first time I had seen this one. It needs a big cleaning and shopping overall, but everything seemed to work fine as far as I could see in playing it. I took some phone pics which show some of the biggest wear points. Cabinet color is very good and dark. There are a couple of plastic broken... Axl and the plastic down the left side. FWIW this one has the BLACK ball track and not silver. Someone mentioned that this was an earlier generation that had the black rails.

Yes, the black shooter lane is the most common, and the worst for ball hangups. The 2nd revision is the same wireform but without the black coating, for less friction and ball hangups. The final revision is actually the least common, and it goes under the R ramp instead of over it, and launches the ball around to the left flipper(s) instead of dumping everything into the pops.

And that game is not HUO, or even close.

Quoted from jalpert:

Wear down to the wood on a modern playfield will always make it worth less. That wear is significantly worse than what you see on most GNRs. That game was played with old nicked pinballs without maintenance for a long time.

#29 9 years ago

1) aren't there wood puttys/fillers that could be used on these areas and then clear coated that would basically repair/protect the area?

In brief, yes you could. But to do this you have to disconnect and remove the playfield. This is followed by depopulating the playfield on both the top and bottom. Thats a lot of work right there.

if there's serious damage under the cliffy - such as a dramatic slope or fall off in the edge - will the cliffy just get bent and maybe contribute more damage?

In extreme examples the Cliffy can get bent up. But that's when playfield damage is so severe its beyond a Cliffy's capability and shouldn't have been installed in the first place. In cases like that a wood filler would need to be applied, sanded and shaped to support the Cliffy.

The Axle hole pictured in this thread is a great candidate for a Cliffy. Install it, forget it and it looks great.

Good questions Family Arcade.

Kim

#30 9 years ago

Aparently he has started cleaning it up and it is looking a lot better. No pics, but he said it looked night and day different and I'm not surprised.. it was quite dirty.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In brief, yes you could. But to do this you have to disconnect and remove the playfield. This is followed by depopulating the playfield on both the top and bottom. Thats a lot of work right there.

In extreme examples the Cliffy can get bent up. But that's when playfield damage is so severe its beyond a Cliffy's capability and shouldn't have been installed in the first place. In cases like that a wood filler would need to be applied, sanded and shaped to support the Cliffy.
The Axle hole pictured in this thread is a great candidate for a Cliffy. Install it, forget it and it looks great.
Kim

Thanks. I have a GNR with a lot less wear around the hole than this example and I was wondering what might be done. I am not going to be removing and depopulating the playfield anytime soon! I'll cross my fingers that the smaller cliffy will work. If not, maybe I'll bite the bullet and put the larger cliffy on.

#32 9 years ago

The GNR has sold along as a package deal with 3 other pins. Got roughly $3300 for it as it sat and discounted as a package.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

I will disagree with this. That scoop wear will require repair, unless you want the Cliffy protector to be beat into the shape of the wear rather quickly. Cliffy himself will tell you this, and I believe the page for the Axl scoop says the same. I know I had to repair mine before I put a protector on my GnR.

FWIW, the process itself wasn't bad, but it was time consuming. The Axl hole was my first time ever at doing a scoop repair, and I am happy with how it came out. I did a spot clear to help seal in the paint using varathane, and have had no issues at all. The repair has held up for 7 or 8 years now.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I will disagree with this. That scoop wear will require repair, unless you want the Cliffy protector to be beat into the shape of the wear rather quickly. Cliffy himself will tell you this, and I believe the page for the Axl scoop says the same. I know I had to repair mine before I put a protector on my GnR.
FWIW, the process itself wasn't bad, but it was time consuming. The Axl hole was my first time ever at doing a scoop repair, and I am happy with how it came out. I did a spot clear to help seal in the paint using varathane, and have had no issues at all. The repair has held up for 7 or 8 years now.

No argument. I think its probably a judgment call with the game right in front of you.
My playfield required no such repair prep for the Cliffy.

Kim

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

No argument. I think its probably a judgment call with the game right in front of you.
My playfield required no such repair prep for the Cliffy.
Kim

Mine did, and it wasn't that bad. (It's the first pic on his page) but I also slapped the hyper thin on there, which tends to bend much easier than the older thicker styles he was making 10 years ago.

Either way, I love cliffy's stuff!

#36 9 years ago

FWIW, my GNR A-Hole looked about that bad, maybe a bit worse. I put a Cliffy on it and have been playing it a few years without the Cliffy being bent etc.

Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-guns-and-roses-gnr-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.