(Topic ID: 150111)

HUO and low plays

By bonanza

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160119_182553_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

So is it just me or are you a little skeptical when you see HUO and low plays? I mean unless the original owner has paperwork that says he bought it by the time it is sold a couple of times there is no way to verify the whole HUO thing.

then there are the ads that say 150 plays since new or low plays or whatever. Seems to me that this is an unverifiable statement. If you change the ROM it resets, or if you put in a NVRAM it resets, batteries go dead the count resets. Am I off base here?

doubting thomas

#2 8 years ago

That's what I think every time. I'm trying not to let it annoy me anymore, because it's such a worthless term anyway.
    It's right under anything to do with the shooter lane in annoyance level. But hey, I get annoyed easy

EDIT: And it's always "hey it has 53 plays on the audits...and current ROMs..."

#3 8 years ago

I don't think you are off base, like you said, unless they have the original purchase paperwork there really is no way to tell. The best you can do is carefully inspect the playfield, ball guides, and over all condition of a game to make a guess at how many plays it really has.

Quoted from bonanza:

If you change the ROM it resets, or if you put in a NVRAM it resets, batteries go dead the count resets.

You forgot to add that you can also just go into settings and clear all the counters.

#4 8 years ago

I don't really care the amount of plays. My acdc pro has around 5,000 games bought nib and never routed, but I take care of it and keep my games looking as good as I can. To me the condition is matters the most!

#5 8 years ago

Once it gets to huo second owner is when the term means a little less to me. If I'm buying from the original buyer then the term is huge imo. I recently bought a machine that was claimed to only have 47 plays on it. In the back of my mind I was thinking yea right, but the price was good and I decided to check it out. The macHine turned out to be so nice, and being 12 years old it was hard to believe it wasn't true looking at it in person. How could a twelve year old machine only have 47 plays? Not sure but here it was sitting in front of me. When compared to my met pro and tfle I bought nib personally there was no denying the seller was telling the truth, or only stretching the truth by a little.

#6 8 years ago

Here's my documented HUO shooter lanes and number of games played for peeps to compare.

Demolition man -433plays
    Wizard of Oz -788-plays
    AC/DC-1456-plays
    Game of Thrones -237-plays
    MMR-102-plays

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 8 years ago

Purchased a HUO Stern Playboy a couple of years ago. Guy had the original box with his name on the side of it. Original batteries were still in it and had 196 plays. Game was perfect! He had approx. 70 games in his collection and this one was in the back corner along with a BBB. The BBB only had 500 plays. Lots of people have HUO games(including myself) with very low plays. My reason is I'm more of a collector than a player and when I do have time to be in my game room, I'm usually modding or working on them. Recently sold my AC/DC premium with only approx. 300 true number plays. Lots of reasons for lots of or lack of plays!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

Recently sold my AC/DC premium with only approx. 300 true number plays. Lots of reasons for lots of or lack of plays!

Sure, agreed. And when I sell my MET it won't have a ton of plays either, because of a lot of reasons. But the older the game is, the less believable, and the more people use the term, the less it means. Of course they are out there, and so are good deals I would never be able to get, and just weird situations all around. All it takes is to run into a REAL collector...Shit I certain(t)ly didn't know anyone in the early 90s that was buying games for their homes brand new. Of course they'll be tons of people on here that did, and were the ones buying them.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from neverahighscore:

My reason is I'm more of a collector than a player

Same here. A majority of my pins have very little play on them. I enjoy them all, but at a very relaxed pace!

#10 8 years ago

HUO implies low plays. If a game sat on route for ~1500 games...or in a basement...as long as it wasn't abused it's the same thing(other than light coin mech use). A low play machine screams low plays.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

unless they have the original purchase paperwork there really is no way to tell.

Paperwork proves nothing either...

#12 8 years ago

HUO and number of plays means nothing without a description of condition. Condition is everything.

Example, these balls I took out of a HUO Revenge from Mars that came in a few weeks ago. The power driver board had issues too. From someone on Pinside.

20160119_182553_(resized).jpg20160119_182553_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

I've seen some rough HUO games. Not everyone knows how to take care of their pins.

#14 8 years ago

Condition is absolutely the only thing that matters. Huo is a pointless statement and number of plays even less. I had an avle with 6k plays that had a perfect shooter lane too. At the end of the day if the game is mint, it doesn't matter if it was huo or on route, mint is mint.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-and-low-plays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.