Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Tomcat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I've read all kinds of speculation and opinions about what will/should be the next pin from Stern or Jersey Jack -- Avengers, The Hobbit, an original theme like zombies......

I just wanted to throw in an idea for consideration.

What about the Hunger Games trilogy?

Think of the impact a game like this would have on the future of pinball - and the tens of thousands of kids who would be introduced to PB if this kind of title were licensed and released.

As a 46 -year-old man, I probably wouldn't buy a game like this. But as a father of a 13-year-old boy who is nuts about The Hunger Games books, I can imagine my son wanting to play (or at least try out) a Hunger Games pinball. And if it's done well and gets a new generation playing the game, that would do a lot for pinball's future.

What do others think?

#2 11 years ago

I'd at least be interested, but think that would be a REAL hard theme to integrate into pinball...

#3 11 years ago

The art work would rock. Dead children everywhere....

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Tracker Jacker bloated corpse bash toy? lol.

#5 11 years ago

I think the movie Suzanne Collins stole the entire idea for hunger games from would be a much better pinball game : BATTLE ROYALE

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

[link removed]

Post edited by robin : Link removed, please do not post links to copyrighted content (torrents etc) on the site!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Best laugh I've had in a long time.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I think the movie Suzanne Collins stole the entire idea for hunger games from would be a much better pinball game : BATTLE ROYALE
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/
    http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7499839/Battle.Royale.2000.1080p.BluRay.3D.H-SBS.DTS.x264-PublicHD

Interesting that you can definitely prove that it was stolen when loads of other people can't. Really man? Much like pinball layouts, things can develop isolated of other similar things without being directly related, but end up extremely similar.

I'm going to go with Occam's Razor here unless there's evidence to the contrary, that it's WAY more likely that she never even heard of Battle Royale prior to someone else making noise about it after HG was released. I think it's walking a pretty thin strand to expect that an american author came across this super-violent Japanese indie movie that didn't even get a single screen in the USA that I can tell, and then thought... "This is what I'm going to copy."

#8 11 years ago

I don't read little girl books but the first thing i thought of was I Battle Royale game would be sweet. I mean Ichi would be better still.

#9 11 years ago

I think twilight would be better. Go team Jacob.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Japanese indie movie that didn't even get a single screen in the USA that I can tell,

I saw it in the theater, as did many people. It is an important piece of cinematic art that you can bring up at any party and most people under 50 will say "Wow, THAT was a great move!".

There are some people who only go and see the top 10 Hollywood movies, but the more educated and adventurous among us seek out the masterworks of foreign film.

Hell, there is a 12 screen cineplex not far from my GFs house that two of the screens only show Bollywood moves.

It's OK to read the Art section of the newspaper and see what movies that were not produced in Hollywood are showing - they usually are better.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Interesting that you can definitely prove that it was stolen when loads of other people can't. Really man?

I don't have to "definitely prove" anything, were not in a court of law.

Watch both movies (or read the books if you are into teen literature) and make up your own mind.

Most reviews of the HG movie opened with something like "...tipping of the hat to Battle Royale", "Hollywood rip of of Battle royale", "...underground hit that anticipated The Hunger Games novels by eight years" - so loads of critics think so too.

Put "battle royale hunger games" into Google and it comes back with over 250,000 hits - so loads of other people think so too.

Amazon, Netflix and everyone else has this masterpiece available - download it, the original is much better.

#12 11 years ago

Wouldn't BR be a copy of The Running Man in that case?

#13 11 years ago

*edit* Not even worth it, this will just be a massive waste of time, and dumber than the statement that only adventurous and intelligent people watch foreign films...

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Really a different idea because in BR the kids have to hunt other kids in a game show.

But you are right, it is a game show.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

What does that have to do with anything? More general statements. "As did many people"? How many is that? In what communities? At arthouse theatres only? Before or AFTER Hunger Games was released? Nobody cares if it was a great movie. That wasn't the point at all. I am only interested in if it was plagarized or not.

You stated that you didn't think that the movie had a single screen in America - I said that it did - a dozen years before HG.

Quoted from Frax:

Irrelevant, and if I may be so bold, unbelievably snobby.

I guess I'm snobby for watching foreign films - I've had worse insults hurled at me.

Quoted from Frax:

Not exactly representative of most of America, if that's even where you are.

Rust Belt, baby!

Quoted from Frax:

Also irrelevant, but I did find out that a local theatre was showing the remastered original Godzilla with retranslated subtitles once that way. That was fun.

See? Now you are talking.

Many of the best movies were not made in Hollywood - keep your eyes open!

#16 11 years ago

Just threw up in my mouth a little bit thinking about about a pinball theme around Hunger Lames.

#17 11 years ago

screw the hunger games in pinball. Harry Potter would be a cool one

#18 11 years ago

I'm all for a Battle Royale pin. I explained to a mother today at work that HG is a ripoff of Battle Royale and BR is the better of the two. She ended up putting the DVD back on the shelf.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from perryd:

Hunger Lames.

Great typo...

I saw BR in the theatre as well (Independent theatres rule!); pretty much anything with Takeshi Kitano in it, I watch.
    Yes, even Kikujiro...
    The man can't fail!

As for the OP's question,
    A Harry Potter machine would be the "be-all, end-all" introduction for kids who have never played pinball, period. Whoever can woo J.K. into allowing this game to be made will get all my $$$ and pretty much any other pinhead's $$$ who has kids, or hell- even wives for that matter!
    HP is beloved worldwide and the last time I checked, ol' HG didn't have it's own music genre with over 70+ bands.
    HP FTW...

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'm all for a Battle Royale pin. I explained to a mother today at work that HG is a ripoff of Battle Royale and BR is the better of the two. She ended up putting the DVD back on the shelf.

Aren't they all a rip off of The Most Dangerous Game?

And The Running Man is the best of them all. "I'll be back".

"Only in a rerun".

#21 11 years ago

HG would not be a good theme in my view. Vid's posts crack me up though. I don't know why but he reminds me of the dad from the book "Shit My Dad Says"...not the crappy pilot sitcom with William shatner but the book.

#22 11 years ago

How bout a Breaking Bad? All your lane and ramp shots collect the ingredients to cook your batch! A big Walter White head on it with his eisenberg hat

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Aren't they all a rip off of The Most Dangerous Game?

In both movies, the kids have to hunt other kids. They are forced to do it as only one survivor is allowed. If two survive, then they both die because an implant or bomb collar kills them. They form alliances, have to kill their friends, some get good weapons, some get crap.

In both movies it is a televised game show.

I never saw the movie (other than "The Pest") but in the book Most Dangerous Game, a noted big game hunter is hunted by another big game hunter - a turning of the tables so to speak. One hunter owns the island and hunts all who shipwreck there.

#24 11 years ago

I am out. Another thread said "Game of Thrones" and that was the last thing I read =-)
    I think hunger games would make a good pin. But Game of Thrones could be epic.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In both movies, the kids have to hunt other kids. They are forced to do it as only one survivor is allowed. If two survive, then they both die because an implant or bomb collar kills them. They form alliances, have to kill their friends, some get good weapons, some get crap.
    In both movies it is a televised Game Show.
    I never saw the movie (other than "The Pest") but in the book Most Dangerous Game, a noted big game hunter is hunted by another big game hunter - a turning of the tables so to speak. One hunter owns the island and hunts all who shipwreck there.

It's not as similar as BR and HG are I admit, but the concept is the say. Humans hunting each other right?

#26 11 years ago

It all started with Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery," and progressed from there. Hunger Games is derivative of that story, Lord of the Flies, The Running Man, perhaps Battle Royale, and a host of other works. That said, it stands on its own as a piece of art devoid of plagiarism, and deserves respect as such.

#27 11 years ago

Have not read the books, but recently saw the movie on an international flight and must say I was not impressed. My fiance claims the books are very violent, I guess I was expecting to see more. They should have went with rated R on the movie. If they integrated the movies would def be a no for me.

#28 11 years ago

My wife and kids read the books and said I would like them but since I view it as a teen young adult girl books. Are they any good for grown men to read?

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I am out. Another thread said "Game of Thrones" and that was the last thing I read =-)
    I think hunger games would make a good pin. But Game of Thrones could be epic.

Game of Thrones would be an instant buy for me even if it was a Gomez game.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

How bout a Breaking Bad? All your lane and ramp shots collect the ingredients to cook your batch! A big Walter White head on it with his eisenberg hat

Needs a half burned pink bear toy

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

It all started with Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery," and progressed from there. Hunger Games is derivative of that story, Lord of the Flies, The Running Man, perhaps Battle Royale, and a host of other works. That said, it stands on its own as a piece of art devoid of plagiarism, and deserves respect as such.

I was going to ask if anyone was familiar with "The Lottey." I remember watching it in HS English and have never forgotten it.

If I remember correctly, the film offers no explanation for the practice, only that the viewer is led to believe it is a great honor to be chosen and then shocked by the reality of the honor.

If the short story any more explanatory?

Dan

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

It's not as similar as BR and HG are I admit, but the concept is the say. Humans hunting each other right?

You are right.

It all goes back to Cain hunting Abel.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

They should have went with rated R on the movie.

It's a teen/tween movie.

If it was rated R, it would miss it's target audience.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You are right.
    It all goes back to Cain hunting Abel.

LMAO! I'm telling you all; vid is that dad from the book Shit My Dad Says. It has to be him!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's a teen/tween movie.
    If it was rated R, it would miss it's target audience.

Maybe but how can a person seriously argue that this theme should not be rated R? A movie comes out about kids killing each other and is targeted for the teen/kid audience. Am I the only one this doesn't make any sense to?

#36 11 years ago

Off the bat, I did not care much for the movie. Tired theme expressed in another fashion.

The internal decrepitude of a society cannot be squelched. Leadership may be dressed up in finery but ultimately it will victimize its young to reassert its control based on historical events, so that its way of life may be preserved. However, the one element of truth in it is that society as a whole cannot be redeemed for it is an institution under man's control and influence, but an individual of strong character and courage within such a society can be but at great personal cost. Whether the latter plays out in HG is unclear to me as I have not and will not read the books.

Now my dinosaur rant.

The movie really seeks to dissolve gender lines further. The incredibly effete fashion in the capital will create buzz for the tweens and teens and corral them in for exposure to the violence. Both aspects seem gratuitous to me. It is to make violence more palatable to young ladies. Look at the effect of hip/pop on women. The reality shows of well to do women duking it out. Female boxing and MMA. Equality has happened. Now women can be as violent as men.

One can look back in history and note many of the cruelest cultures were obscessed with their fashion and finery. I guess fashion in itself is quite violent making it clear who is and who isn't, who has life and who has death. Identity is now more than ever tied to a label. My wife and children know not to give me any shirts with polos, alligators, crocodiles, penguins or whatever. I do not need to project an identity to the world based on what everyone feels is commercially viable. Just ridiculous. Life and death on the field is little different from life and death by label. One difference though, on the field is a quick death, death by fashion marketing is a life long message of inadequacy.

Now to take a deep breath and count to ten.

Dan

#37 11 years ago

Needs a half burned pink bear toy

edited for spoiler

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Maybe but how can a person seriously argue that this theme should not be rated R? A movie comes out about kids killing each other and is targeted for the teen/kid audience. Am I the only one this doesn't make any sense to?

I do not think VID is justifying its rating but pointing out that the industry will bend its own standards when fiscal viability is threatened, money being its only real standard mostly.

Dan

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

I do not think VID is justifying its rating but pointing out that the industry will bend its own standards when fiscal viability is threatened, money being its only real standard mostly.
    Dan

Good point, I may have gotten off topic a bit there.

#40 11 years ago

I love breaking bad. I watched the first four seasons in a week to catch up to this one. Took me a while to figure out why some letters in the names of the credits were highlighted.

Dan

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Good point, I may have gotten off topic a bit there.

But hey, your original point was absolutely correct.

Dan

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Years ago BR was "banned" because of the theme. Now it's a bit more violent that HG, but they are essentially the same story. I was surprised when I heard what the HG was. My wife went to go see it with her friends!

It's exploitation pure and simple. Back in the 70's, it was in the form of Z movies. Nowadays, society has de-evolutionized so much its accepted as the norm.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Off the bat, I did not care much for the movie. Tired theme expressed in another fashion.
    The internal decrepitude of a society cannot be squelched. Leadership may be dressed up in finery but ultimately it will victimize its young to reassert its control based on historical events, so that its way of life may be preserved. However, the one element of truth in it is that society as a whole cannot be redeemed for it is an institution under man's control and influence, but an individual of strong character and courage within such a society can be but at great personal cost. Whether the latter plays out in HG is unclear to me as I have not and will not read the books.
    Now my dinosaur rant.
    The movie really seeks to dissolve gender lines further. The incredibly effete fashion in the capital will create buzz for the tweens and teens and corral them in for exposure to the violence. Both aspects seem gratuitous to me. It is to make violence more palatable to young ladies. Look at the effect of hip/pop on women. The reality shows of well to do women duking it out. Female boxing and MMA. Equality has happened. Now women can be as violent as men.
    One can look back in history and note many of the cruelest cultures were obscessed with their fashion and finery. I guess fashion in itself is quite violent making it clear who is and who isn't, who has life and who has death. Identity is now more than ever tied to a label. My wife and children know not to give me any shirts with polos, alligators, crocodiles, penguins or whatever. I do not need to project an identity to the world based on what everyone feels is commercially viable. Just ridiculous. Life and death on the field is little different from life and death by label. One difference though, on the field is a quick death, death by fashion marketing is a life long message of inadequacy.
    Now to take a deep breath and count to ten.
    Dan

One of the deepest posts vie read on pin side. Good insights.

#44 11 years ago

Did you watch them all on Netflix? That is sweet ripping through multiple seasons of a great show, I feel like a junky after it having not showered in days and sleep depravation! Im making my way through Burn Notice right now......

Quoted from MrWizzo:

I love breaking bad. I watched the first four seasons in a week to catch up to this one. Took me a while to figure out why some letters in the names of the credits were highlighted.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Did you watch them all on Netflix? That is sweet ripping through multiple seasons of a great show, I feel like a junky after it having not showered in days and sleep depravation! Im making my way through Burn Notice right now......

Mostly on Netflix. Some on AMC as I think they had a marathon of the first four seasons. Got into the marathon late, so crammed Netflix until I could switch to AMC near the eand of the third season.

Caught onto Sopranos late too. Watched all but the last season during the Summer before the last season.

Dan

#46 11 years ago

A little OT, but I got to shred a Hunger Games cardboard DVD shelf today at work! Never been happier shredding cardboard.

#47 11 years ago

If they based it on the Hunger Games books? Yes.

Hunger Games movie(s)? No.

The books are infinitely superior to the one film thrown our way so far.

#48 11 years ago

I read the HG trilogy. Good story. Hated the ending though. It is like she ran out of time to write and just wrapped it up a bit too cleanly. Books were better than the movie but I think they did a pretty good job of it while staying in the confines of PG13.
    Never heard of the Battle Royale. Will have to check it out.

#49 11 years ago

I didn't read the books. I was pretty annoyed when I heard about the premise, and totally dismissed it as a Battle Royale (which I'm a big fan of) rip-off. My wife read the books and really enjoyed them, so when the HG movie hit Blu-ray I figured what the heck. Honestly, it was pretty good..much better than I was expecting. Yes, it borrowed heavily from BR...but I was surprised to see that it didn't feel like a rip-off at all. As others have mentioned, these are themes that have been explored for centuries, and HG is taking it in its own direction. It was also pretty predictable and obviously written for young teens, but I was surprised as to how enjoyable it was despite all that.

In all honesty, while many won't agree, a pinball machine based on this, or (God forgive me for saying this) Twilight, or something along those lines is exactly what the hobby needs to gain any kind of public recognition again. For pinball to be commercially viable like it once was, it doesn't need to target us. It needs to target an audience that has probably never heard of pinball, much less seen or played one. The same audience that flocks to books/movies like Hunger Games or Twilight. Harry Potter would have been the same, and way bigger, but we all know the rights issues stopped that from happening. So while at first thought a Hunger Games pin seems ridiculous to some...think about what it could mean for the industry. I think it would be a very good thing and open a lot of doors.

And hey, the lead girl is hot and there really would be a ton of potential for fun toys, artwork, and rules. Heck, I'm a mid-30's male and I'd be kind of excited for it. My teenage nieces would lose their freakin minds and pump quarters into it like mad...and they barely play my machines for free!

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Wouldn't The Running Man be a copy of "das Millionenspiel" (german TV drama, 1970) in that case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Millionenspiel

Post edited by Tomcat : added wikipedia link

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hunger-games-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.