Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

slap-happy-moe-o.gif

#1 6 years ago

I'm considering doing some swapping/selling/buying, and PSTE is one of the titles I am really considering. I know, it's terrible, but I do like the layout.
Anyway, what's a realistic price for this machine (not eBay), and are they commonly available?

#2 6 years ago

If Pinside averages were correct, I would trade my Bally Star Trek for one and walk away with 700 in cash also. But I know that's not the case.

#4 6 years ago

1400-1800 depending on condition. Consider yourself humored.

Ebay would show you 2000-2500

#5 6 years ago

I have been humored, good sir. Thank you for being part of the scenario of a fictional sailor saving the earth's animals.

#6 6 years ago

I'd pay $1k for a players machine. I've always kinda liked it.

#7 6 years ago

I also think $1500 is what the seller will pay you

#8 6 years ago

One appeared on Craigslist around here two or three weeks ago listed at $1500. It was gone in less than a week.

#9 6 years ago

I really like my Popeye. It took a lot of work to make everything nice and operating correctly, and it's a natural for LEDs.

The design and gameplay have some significant flaws, but it is by no means the worst. I have played plenty of machines that are far worse than Popeye.

Anything in the 1100-1500 range is reasonable, considering condition.

RM

1 year later
#10 5 years ago

Similar question & reality check:

Popeye - found one NIB (sill in crate).

My interest would simply be to complete my collection of Wide body pins.

Looking at archived ebay sales data, there have been 10 sales of the title with an average of $1,505 and a high of $2k over a year ago.

What would you pay for it today (September 2014)?

#11 5 years ago

I would say 1200-1600 condition depending, it is popular with non-pinball people who like the theme.. it is not really that bad of a game, just that animal thing on the side really does not belong there, take that aspect out, and it would be a better game, just my thoughts though.

#12 5 years ago

Games that were worth $1100 7 or 8 years ago seem to be worth $1600-2000 these days so there you go.

I'd probably pay $1500 for a decent Popeye but I think many would pay more.

#13 5 years ago

$56.27

You did say humor...

#14 5 years ago

Popeye is a lot of fun if you can give it a chance. It also needs lightning flippers on it IMO as I have played a few with regular flippers and it made for really long balltimes.

#15 5 years ago

Don't spend $1500 on Popeye.

Instead, get $1500 and light it on fire. It's a better light show with more entertainment bang-for-your-buck than allowing a PSTE occupy 10 square feet of your life.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Instead, get $1500 and light it on fire. It's a better light show with more entertainment bang-for-your-buck than allowing a PSTE occupy 10 square feet of your life.

Don't let Eugene hear you say that

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Similar question & reality check:
Popeye - found one NIB (sill in crate).
My interest would simply be to complete my collection of Wide body pins.
Looking at archived ebay sales data, there have been 10 sales of the title with an average of $1,505 and a high of $2k over a year ago.
What would you pay for it today (September 2014)?

I just picked one up recently. Pretty much any Bally/WMS pin in good working condition is a $1500 game nowadays. I think the eBay average is pretty right on.

I really like the game. It is challenging and I don't think most people really gave it a chance or even played it at all, before bashing it.

#18 5 years ago

Dude wants to know value of new in box^^^^

#19 5 years ago

I had one and only sold it because someone asked for it. It's definitely better than most people give it credit for

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Dude wants to know value of new in box^^^^

Dude has to know there's no way to say. NIB sales on 20 year old games are few and far between so he's gonna have to make his best guess.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dude has to know there's no way to say. NIB sales on 20 year old games are few and far between so he's gonna have to make his best guess.

NIB is going to be a total crapshot. If he really wants a Popeye just to fill out his widebody collection, there are going to be much cheaper Popeye's than a NIB one. Just find a used one for $1500.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

i'd rather own a Popeye

#24 5 years ago

I bought a huo in Michigan that sat on cl for 2 months about 2 years ago.

No one even offered on it, was listed with no details, especially not huo. Was at the mpe, it was close, thought why not.

Lady was a huge cartoon fan, all kinds of very rare and expensive things, and there it was a huo Popeye they bought new and played maybe 100 times.

I regret selling. The person that bought it had been a trough error when they set it up, has not played a game on it, but won't sell it back or have someone fix it.

#25 5 years ago

new popeye movie comming out or in development, maybe price goes up

#26 5 years ago

Its pretty much worthless. Probably the lowest valued B/W DMD. And yes I did own one for about a minute!

#27 5 years ago

I sold mine for around 1,500 last year, it's probably still around that price. Great bang for buck pin, a wide body, fun and family friendly.

#29 5 years ago

I'd pay $3k nib

#30 5 years ago

This one sat on Mr. Pinball Cl. FOREVER. Priced at 3,995. Then Marco got it, and, well, it's sat FOREVER, too.

NIB for this title I'd say about 3,500, but only if you really dig this theme, because the execution is bad.

#31 5 years ago

Just sold one in players condition (but working 100%) for $800 about a week ago. Sat on CL for two weeks with only a few nibbles. Once I had a deposit, then I got 3 calls.i probably could have gotten a bit more, but it went to a father and son as their first game. It is a nice feeling not to screw over a first time buyer.

#32 5 years ago

Marco Specialties is advertising a NIB Popeye pinball machine for $5,995.00
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/GAME-BALLY

#33 5 years ago

I passed on one at $800 at an auction a few years ago. would have been close to $1k out the door and just couldn't do it.
Those who say $1500 for a shopped working one is probably right on.
This would be one HELL of an expensive game to build in todays world tho. Lots of custom stuff on it.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

This would be one HELL of an expensive game to build in todays world tho. Lots of custom stuff on it.

If games today were made like any of the B/W widebodies (with the amount stuff they have on them), they would be $8k games NIB

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

new Popeye movie comming out or in development, maybe price goes up

Honestly, this sort of thing never impacts the price of pins. People were convinced a couple years ago that the new Dredd movie would make JD skyrocket in price, and it didn't change at all.

Quoted from dgoett:

Those who say $1500 for a shopped working one is probably right on.

For money, I think $1500 for shopped working and nice is right on. HUO might be a bit closer to $2k, but there isn't really that much that gets damaged with this thing. I mean, I have a routed example sitting here next to me, and other than some cabinet damage and fade, playfield-wise it looks like it could be HUO. I bought mine unshopped just slightly cheaper than that about a year ago.

I love mine not because of the gameplay, which feels like it was thrown together by a committee (which, I believe it was), but because the overall art package is amazing, and dgoett is absolutely right that this would never be made today - the custom stuff to make it look like a boat is absolutely amazing. To me, if nothing else, Popeye is the pinnacle of Python art, and the package put together is quite stunning. The gameplay is okay, fine for what it is but definitely not a shining example of what B/W mid-90s gameplay is, but it's not as bad of a game as people make it out to be. If you are only going to have two or three games though, it's probably not a choice.

As for a NIB one, I would say that you can probably get a HUO one for around $2k like I said, so figure that you add to that $2k price what it is worth to you to crack open a brand new machine, but then minus from that the cost to repair the board that the batteries almost definitely destroyed. If it's worth $1k for you to open it, then you should probably be willing to pay about $2700 to do so. To me, opening NIB machines are worth a relatively minor amount more than the game normally costs, so I might personally call it a wash with the boards.

Good luck!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Honestly, this sort of thing never impacts the price of pins. People were convinced a couple years ago that the new Dredd movie would make JD skyrocket in price, and it didn't change at all.

Totally forgot about all of that speculation. For how bad that movie did they are lucky it didn't lower the value of their pins!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Totally forgot about all of that speculation. For how bad that movie did they are lucky it didn't lower the value of their pins!

People start talking every time there is a new related movie about how it might affect the prices, but it just doesn't. Ops aren't buying up a bunch of Popeye pins to stick back on route and hope they make money because they are older and way more unreliable in a route setting because of that age, and they have nothing at all to do with whatever new happens. Home buyers aren't watching the new movies and going to find a pin that had nothing to do with it.

It's a nice hope, but I don't think that Popeye is going to change pricing unless people begin to fall in love with it's art package, which I just don't think they will. Like I said, if you don't have a bunch of pins, I don't think it's a great choice. I am lucky enough to have a bunch, and a considerable amount of my collection I think would be horrid if I didn't have all the others. The diversity works in a big collection, and it makes Popeye's awesome package stand out.

#38 5 years ago

I slightly disagree. Look at the popularity of Dr Who Pin since they started the series up again. How many kids know popeye? Its a family friendly pin and maybe a movie starts some movement of the pin. I'm not talking hundreds of dollars, but maybe a slight rise.

#39 5 years ago

Anything can happen, I remember years ago, Dirty Harry was regarded as a total dog, used to sell for 900 bucks or less, no one wanted them, then all of a sudden, they are up to 2400 and up..

Titles do get hot for whatever reason, so you never know.. I would be surprised if this one did, but again, you never know..

#40 5 years ago

Dirty Harry is kind of fun. Popeye is not. Horrible game

#41 5 years ago

For anyone interested, read my review on popeye. There are mandatory changes needed to make it even playable, and no doubt, as it was straight out of the box, it was a quarter waster, and set up that way anywhere even now, I wouldn't waste a game.

But with the changes, and the ability to keep the ball moving (the default drain lanes are huge, and set to hard factory, combined with lightning flippers), you get to explore the rules, which are a great mix of modes, many multiballs that other than the main 3 ball, are hard to get, and objections to getting to the final, as well as one of two only combo vid/pinball play modes in pinball, being the very hard and welll thought out find sweat pea (other is in JD).

People that rag on this game have not had a good enough opportunity to explore or have not done much when owning it/playing it. Save Olive, find sweat pea, and if you can get that far, then tell me this machine is still a pile of crap.

If fact, honestly, how many people here can say they have done both of those things? I bet next to none. I have once for each while I owned it, both ironically on the last day I played it before selling, which even made me regret it more. And I’ve beat all my machines other than TSPP, and have been to Valinor in LOTR. When looking at the rules alone, Popeye has a great rule set.

I'm not doubting it was a flop straight out of the box in the 90s, I wouldn't have routed it "as is" if given the choice then or now, and the theme was dated at best, but much worse given the "Saves the world" environmental crap, but there are way worse WPCs/DMDs from this era by far.

#42 5 years ago

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input.

I had offered $3k. Seller countered with $4,800. I walked away from that negotiation (quickly).

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I also think $1500 is what the seller will pay you

slap-happy-moe-o.gif

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input.
I had offered $3k. Seller countered with $4,800. I walked away from that negotiation (quickly).

3k would be right on the money for NIB, even generous, in my opinion. You can buy metallica NIB for less than $4800. I think popeye is fun and family friendly. I paid $1500, if I recall, and I think thats a fair price.

#45 5 years ago

I'd buy a Popeye NIB for 3k.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
1,999 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside