Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Newbie question, but here goes: My Funhouse Rudy has 4 SM-30-1100-DC coils which work the eyes and lids. As the eyes move there is a lot of humming from at least one of the coils. Is it time to replace them? I'm not sure how much humming is normal since I'm pretty new.

-Patrick

#2 8 years ago

Humming coils is fine. Coils don't gradually die. So if it's working at all it's ok. The hum comes from two prong coils where holding the coil on has to be done via pulsing the power to avoid overheating the coil. As the coil stops age (or are new until they age, it just depends), the gap between the stop and plunger can be such that the pulsing causes a hum sound.

#3 8 years ago

So, if I don't like the humming, I might be good to install a couple new ones and quiet them down? I realize it's much quieter in a home compared to an arcade, so I hear a lot more. But Rudy's eyes are a humming distraction.

#4 8 years ago

I owned a nice FH for almost 15 years. Hum/buzz becomes apparent when eyelids open WIDE and when eyes are turned to one side. Nothing to be concerned with.

#5 8 years ago

No. Replacing a coil will not impact humming. You could try rebuilding all the mechs. But that feels like a waste of time for this "problem". Why not just turn up the volume and enjoy the game. Pinballs make noise.

#6 8 years ago

Ah....good point...yeah it's the eyes turning...the eyes DO drift a bit, and I read somewhere someone else fixed that problem. But otherwise, I'll turn up da volume!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

No. Replacing a coil will not impact humming. You could try rebuilding all the mechs. But that feels like a waste of time for this "problem". Why not just turn up the volume and enjoy the game. Pinballs make noise

try and see if the coil stop is worn bad , if it is replace, hum go bye bye ...

#8 8 years ago

Humming coils? It's because they don't know the words......

anyone, anyone? <crickets>

Never mind, carry on.

1 month later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

try and see if the coil stop is worn bad , if it is replace, hum go bye bye ...

My 24 hums with new coil stops. There's no guarantee. It's just a side effect of the stern flipper designs. They may make some noise. Pinballs are noisy machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Davis, CA
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/humming-coils-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.