6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot from 2017-10-03 11-40-07 (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

Will try to keep this short and sweet. The game room, while not the hottest room in the house, is still getting more humid as the summer warms up. I don't have central air, just celing fans and a few window units in key rooms. We have a dehumidifier that we bought for the basement, but don't need it running in the basement at all times. I am planning to put it in the game room to protect all the posters hanging up and the pinball machine. My questions is about the humidty level. The dehumidifier doesn't have a humitidy indicator, but I can pick a level between min/max dryness. I am guessing that I don't want the room super dry. What would be a good level to set it at?

#2 6 years ago

I would get something to measure the humidity, to see what it runs, before I bought any more equipment.

I would try to keep it from 25% to 55%. Anything above 55%, I don't like; but I have always lived in low humidity areas.

When no one is in the room, them humidity probably doesn't need to be controlled more than 15% to 75%.

But when people get in there, their respiration is filled with water, so the humidity in a small space is going to climb, if it's a closed space. So that's why I'd shoot for something like 40% max before people get in there and start playing.

The only issue with low humidity is if you are going to work on the boards. Anything less that 35% you should take more electrostatic precautions.

Robert

#3 6 years ago

Not good, watch for playfield warping and rust.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Its not that humid in the game room. Not even close. I just want to keep the room at the optimum level of humidity. I don't want it too dry, or too humid.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I would get something to measure the humidity, to see what it runs, before I bought any more equipment.

You can get a thermometer that also reads humidity at Radio Shack for cheap.

Quoted from MrSanRamon:

When no one is in the room, them humidity probably doesn't need to be controlled more than 15% to 75%.

75% sounds high, but I too have only lived in low humidity areas.

Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Wait. You live in Az, which is drier than toast. Did you live elsewhere where you had problems? Any pics?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I would try to keep it from 25% to 55%. Anything above 55%, I don't like; but I have always lived in low humidity areas.

Robert

I have lived in high humidity areas before, although I prefer low humidity. I would like to keep it as dry as possiable but don't want too dry. I can always try 50% and see how comfortable it is. Its been comfortable down there until now but I can feel it getting a bit more humid.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

MrSanRamon said:

You can get a thermometer that also reads humidity at Radio Shack for cheap.
    MrSanRamon said:

75% sounds high, but I too have only lived in low humidity areas.
    Tommi_Gunn said:

Wait. You live in Az, which is drier than toast. Did you live elsewhere where you had problems? Any pics?

My house is a confortable 76 degrees all year round, low humidity. I lived in boston for 20+ years. Seen a lot of games that are warped and rusted out back there. Lot's of local routes near the beaches in new hampshire and maine. Northeast is bad if you have collections in unfinished basements. Damp enviroment. Bought a hs2 out here in az for 1.1K. Apron, legs, and some hardware had light rust. Found out it came from the Jersey. Shopped it, played it for a couple months, sold it. Moisture and pinball is a bad mix.

#8 6 years ago

I have wondered about this A LOT. I live in Georgia (read HUMID!) and I know people that keep games in their garages year round and have for years. They seem just fine. And that kind of suprises me.

I keep TVs and surround sound in my garage (for about three years now) and they work just fine too.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvilJack:

Its not that humid in the game room. Not even close. I just want to keep the room at the optimum level of humidity. I don't want it too dry, or too humid.

Optimum level is probably 40 - 50%. Higher levels are OK, when you aren't in the room as long as it's non-condensing.

The issue with higher humidity and damage to machines is that with large temperature swings, you can get condensing (liquid water) on the surfaces.

Robert

#10 6 years ago

I'd recommend to set the dehumidifier to 50% or less at all times.

#11 6 years ago

My wife is an Industrial Hygienist. She says 30-60% is what most people think is comfortable. Cigar humidor's should be between 60-70% and I find it uncomfortable when I walk in them. Too much humidity (above 80%) will also allow mold to grow. 50% will probably be just about right. Remember too that it is relative to the temperature in the room.

3 years later
    #12 3 years ago

I am resurrecting this topic because i would like to move my 250 gallon aquarium into my gameroom for a couple of reasons.

1) i don't like having it in the bedroom where no one else can see it
    2) it is 8 feet long and will prevent (or at least hinder) me from buying 3 more pinball machines to fill that space
    3) i find it relaxing to watch the fish swim around

i found this on a pdf for a tool shop and thought it was relative.

"Rust only forms when conditions are right – when there is enough water and air. Iron will
    rust when the relative humidity in the air climbs above 50%, and steel rusts when the
    relative humidity reaches 80%. If your shop is unheated, iron and steel tools will also rust
    when the nights are cooler than the days. At dawn, the temperature of the air rises faster
    than dense solids and moisture condenses on the cool metal surfaces. One way to
    prevent rust is to change the shop environment – either heat the shop to keep the tools
    surfaces warm or install a dehumidifier to remove the humidity from the air."

i have two humidity meters coming on monday and will monitor the room for a week or so before putting the tank in there, then i will run the tank for a couple weeks before making it a permanent fixture in the room. There is also a cold air return within 3 feet of where the fish tank will be located so that should help to remove some of the humidity also.

does anyone have any thoughts or advice on having a large fish tank in with pinballs?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

does anyone have any thoughts or advice on having a large fish tank in with pinballs?

I would not personally do it.

That is alot of open water and I like to try and keep the humidity as low as possible in general.

I think it will be find with a properly condition house but still not a fan of the idea.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would not personally do it.
    That is alot of open water and I like to try and keep the humidity as low as possible in general.
    I think it will be find with a properly condition house but still not a fan of the idea.

yeah, that is a thought that keeps running through my head too. i like my fish tanks, but i love my pinball machines.... guess it is time to start house shopping instead.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

yeah, that is a thought that keeps running through my head too. i like my fish tanks, but i love my pinball machines.... guess it is time to start house shopping instead.

yup, and closer to Madison

#16 3 years ago

Someone commented in another thread that the threat to pins was more about changes in humidity over time as opposed to level. I live in the NE, so climate changes by the month. This winter, I measured the humidity level in my basement, where the pins are, and it registered at 35%. So, that is where I have been setting my dehumidifier for the spring and summer, trying to keep the levels as constant as possible.

1 year later
    #17 2 years ago

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having some issues in my basement. I was cleaning the other day and I noticed some discolored spots on my paint around 18" off the ground behind my couch. I checked around the room and it only seems to be happening behind things against one exterior wall. I just refinished the basement this past winter and it's the first I've seen this.

Normally the humidty in my basement is pretty lowat less than 50% @ about 66 degrees. I use the room as an exercise area too. When I'm finished my workout the room is up to about 61-63% humidity. I'm guessing the rapid change in temps is causing the cold air condensing. I took a microfiber towel and rubbed the area and the stain went away so it appeared to be just on the surface.

Does any one have any suggestions? Maybe run a dehumidifier while I exercise ? I tried running an oscillating fan today just to circulate the air, but humidity still got pretty high. I was thinking about some silica packets in the machines, but I don't want to remove all the moisture in the cab. Thoughts?

1 year later
    #18 1 year ago

Can a pinball machine be stored in a quite humid underground basement?
    Measured relative humidity over the year is around 75%.

The manual is saying the machine should survive 95% relative humidity.
    What is your experience on this?

Screenshot from 2017-10-03 11-40-07 (resized).png

8 months later
    #19 10 months ago

Just purchased a dehumidifier and think 50% may be a bit high.

#20 10 months ago

I try to keep my Game room around 45%. I haven't had any trouble yet.

#21 10 months ago

I have a dehumidifier in my basement with a humidity reader and only turn it on in the summer months when humidity is higher. I try to keep it at below 70% but it’s a battle. I also have a fan I put at a distance away to circulate but my machines over the years have been fine. I’m sure they can withstand at least 75% or more but try to keep it lower if you can.

#22 10 months ago

Amazing how much water this thing collects.

#23 10 months ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Amazing how much water this thing collects.

I set mine at 50% and attached a hose to it, draining into my sump pit. I run it all summer.

#24 10 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I set mine at 50% and attached a hose to it, draining into my sump pit. I run it all summer.

Exact same setup here. It's a necessity in my walk-out basement which doesn't seem to be very well sealed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside