You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

187mdy (resized).jpg
Projections (resized).png
e0d86e96bdc2aac0df569a41fa4f6bf610a3696a (resized).png
elon-musk-AI-04-17-02 (resized).png
Doom-2016-after-credits-hq (resized).jpg
They-Saved-Hitlers-Brain-images-a0011686-ccda-45dc-9712-fca943dcafc (resized).jpg
IMG_0514 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsinner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 7 years ago

You need to read a book titled 'The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence' by Ray Kurzweil. (1999)

This is a brilliant book that forcasts the Evolution of AI throughout the 21st Century. It asks questions about what constitutes consciousness. It is a must read for anyone interested in this stuff.

I read it way back when I was in Uni after one of my lecturers read some excepts from it. I purchased it straight after the lecture and I couldn't put it down. It is brilliant, but Kurtzweil's forcasts are frightening. (Not in a terminator type way, but instead it is his implications about the evolution of humanity itself because of AI that is frightening.)

Here is a link to the PDF of the book Google Reads: (I don't think it is in print anymore)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwjX_dbOIwbSNjlkYmZkNjEtYjU0NS00NWYwLWE2ZmEtZmI4ODQ2ZjQ1MDhl/edit

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

If your conciousness could be somehow transferred to a machine, it might wake up thinking it was you, but your own actual conciousness will have been terminated. Oops!
Same reason teleportation is a dead end.
Cyborgs, now that's within the realm of possibility. Technologically enhancing our brains and the bodies around our brains is where it's headed. Our default meat sacks are terribly inefficient and messy.
And I don't get why some are afraid of intelligent computers, we'll be able to pull the plug at any time. Just don't put them in robots! I suppose one could take over networks and coerce someone to make a body for it, better put safeguards in place for that! Where's Asimov when you need him?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/15/elon-musk-cyborgs-robots-artificial-intelligence-is-he-right

Thanks for the link.

I am not an expert, but must disagree with Nicolelis. In the article he says "humans won’t become irrelevant until machines can replicate the human brain." He was also quoted as saying "The idea that digital machines, no matter how hyper-connected, how powerful, will one day surpass human capacity is total baloney." The article says that "Nicolelis argues that the brain, contrary to what Elon Musk and Singularity proponents like Ray Kurzweil say, is not computable because human consciousness is the result of unpredictable, nonlinear interactions among billions of cells. "Our brains do not work in an algorithmic way and are not digital machines."

However I think Nicolelis hasn't factored in non-linear quantum computing. With advances in quantum computing, I think he will be proven wrong. I think computer intelligence and "consciousness" is only a matter of time.

I think in the shorter term with fast advancements in robotics, that non-conscious robots will make a large part of our work force obsolete. (Similar to the TV show Humans - An excellent show about this very thing.) They will change the labour force in a big and world changing way. This will cause a resurgence of the Luddite movement, who will oppose the advancement of robotics and AI. There will be riots and all sorts of conflict as a result.

I think our lives are going to be profoundly changed in good and BAD ways due advancement in robotics and A.I.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

A powerful distributed AI like I described might sound like sci-fi, but if you were aware of the latest and greatest advancements in the industry, you would know how achievable the idea probably is in the relative near term.
Distributed computing is not a new concept. It was popularly used by SETI@home, Folding@home, and Prime95, and it's how multiple machines are networked together to become what is known as a supercomputer. However, distributed computing has had a paradigm shift recently with the invention of the blockchain in 2008, as used by Bitcoin. The difference between supercomputers, the @home and Prime95 projects, and the blockchain, is the full decentralization of the network. It is not necessary for a blockchain-based network to "call home" to a central server and there is no leader. The 'authority' is shared across the entire network rather than a single location and it manages itself autonomously. The inherent nature of the blockchain virtually eliminates a lot of the traditional problems and risks with digital transactions as well as removes the ability to shut the blockchain down without turning off the entire Internet.
Building on top of the blockchain, people are moving beyond cryptocurrency to develop a new concept called the distributed autonomous organization (DAO). This can potentially be a corporation that belongs to no human and has no human management, yet owns its own money, assets, and property, conducts business with other DAOs and human-led organizations through blockchain-backed smart contracts. If Apple doesn't get there first, the first trillion dollar company may not be owned by a human at all.
The logical expansion to that is the AI DAO. The DAO concept as it currently stands operates on a ruleset defined by its creators, but the AI DAO would operate based on a neural network, perform experimentation based on trial-and-error rather than hardcoded rules, etc. This is what I imagine the AI worm to be, though not acting as a corporation. Remember that the blockchain cannot be turned off without eliminating every node in the network; it operates without a 'leader' the same way an ant colony does, as a swarm intelligence.
As I've said before, a neural network is a complex decision making infrastructure that is composed of a lot of much less complex components (neurons) making simple calculations based upon their inputs and passing the output along to the next one. It turns out that you can really easily build these neurons in shader language and utilize the graphics chipset in your computer to process them. Neural networks are a natural fit and benefit greatly from parallel computing, which is exactly what graphics cards are for. Rather than using the thousands of cores inside the graphics card to render pixels, you process thousands of neurons simultaneously, way faster than your CPU would be able. Graphics card-enabled neural networks caused a paradigm shift that brought the current rise of Deep Learning algorithms.
So a human-adversarial AI DAO worm would need access to a lot of graphics cards, connected to the Internet without high levels of security. There are plenty of those in people's homes: videogame consoles. Let's ignore the newer, more powerful PlayStation 4 Pro that was recently released and focus just on the regular PS4. There have been 55 million PS4 units sold in the world. The PS4 has a peak performance of 1.84 teraFLOPS.
Let's say our AI either develops or acquires a zero-day exploit for the PS4 (meaning Sony hasn't yet had time to respond with a patch to eliminate the exploit) and releases a false system update with a forged security certificate. Let's say 25% of PS4s install the update and therefore get the AI DAO worm on their game console. The AI is now operating on a 25.3 exaFLOPS (though really high latency) distributed supercomputer. This is almost 300x more powerful than the current fastest supercomputer in the world, and if speculation is correct, at least fast enough to operate a human-level AI in realtime. And that's just with 25% of PS4s in the world. I imagine a human-level AI would be able to figure out how to branch out to expand to other computer systems and grow its potential even further.

That's some scary shit right there.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I only responded since XXVI's post was directed to me. Adios

Hasta la vista amigo!

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

And then we get to the question, would robots deserve rights?
» YouTube video

The Robin Williams movie Bicentennial Man was about that very thing. A good movie if you haven't seen it.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

What about artificially intelligent pinball machines?

I think they would take offence at us constantly pushing their buttons and slapping them around.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsinner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/human-ai-will-we-see-it-in-our-life?tu=pinsinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.