You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

187mdy (resized).jpg
Projections (resized).png
e0d86e96bdc2aac0df569a41fa4f6bf610a3696a (resized).png
elon-musk-AI-04-17-02 (resized).png
Doom-2016-after-credits-hq (resized).jpg
They-Saved-Hitlers-Brain-images-a0011686-ccda-45dc-9712-fca943dcafc (resized).jpg
IMG_0514 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philgreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

We won't have the time to see it if it does because it will be able to work on itself to make itself exponentially smarter and will be able to do so at such a speed that it will eclipse us in seconds.
Then we'll be lucky if it doesn't wipe us out while doing something else the same way we don't think twice about destroying an ant hill to pave our driveway.
That's called the singularity, as in the curve of AI IQ goes up so fast that it stops being a curve and it's just a line going straight up.

That's if we do manage to get it to a tipping point. Others believe that it will become harder and harder to raise the AI IQ until it peaks somewhere below us.
I think the first scenario is more plausible, as do many techies such as Elon Musk I believe.

#58 7 years ago

I think all of this boils to whether you're a religious person.
I do agree with the "simulated" intelligence vs actual intelligence argument.
But when you're talking about reproducing the functioning of the brain components in an artificial manner (for example with neural networks - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ibm-creates-neural-network-chip-large-mouse-brain/) there is theoretically nothing that would stop you from creating a brain that functions the exact same way a human brain does.

Then when you get into the soul as the differentiator between the two types of intelligences, well you get outside the realm of logical discussion and into the religious one.

#90 7 years ago

Here's an interesting article about well known tech guys and where they rank on the AI apprehension spectrum: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/elon-musk-billion-dollar-crusade-to-stop-ai-space-x

#92 7 years ago

Uh oh, now you're mixing in life on other planets with this one!

An interesting theory makes the assumption that if there are many other intelligent life forms in the universe (which is statistically very reasonable IMO), then at least some of those could probably have achieved advanced AI.
Since advanced AI (not talking about the "simulated" kind, but the self-learning kind) has the ability to improve on itself exponentially (the smarter it gets, the faster it gets at getting smarter, and so forth), there would probably be some almost-infinitely smart AI somewhere out there.
The question is then, how come we haven't seen any sign of it? Maybe even it can't travel the universe? Maybe there aren't that may other life forms out there? Maybe it is here but we can't notice it? Maybe advanced AI is indeed unreachable?

And let's say you want to get sacrilegious, how would that infinite intelligence relate to God?

Disclaimer, I'm just having fun with this discussion here, I'm not an ideologue either way but I do find different degrees of likeliness in all these scenarios...

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

What about artificially intelligent pinball machines?

Maybe it's Dialed In that will do us in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philgreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/human-ai-will-we-see-it-in-our-life?tu=philgreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.