You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

187mdy (resized).jpg
Projections (resized).png
e0d86e96bdc2aac0df569a41fa4f6bf610a3696a (resized).png
elon-musk-AI-04-17-02 (resized).png
Doom-2016-after-credits-hq (resized).jpg
They-Saved-Hitlers-Brain-images-a0011686-ccda-45dc-9712-fca943dcafc (resized).jpg
IMG_0514 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I like when computers improve so much, they become self-aware.

well, this is kind of like expecting to supe up a sports car with so much horsepower that it eventually becomes self aware.

the problem isn't computational power. it's a lot more fundamental than that.

we do not even begin to have a formal definition of what constitutes consciousness. i mean, we can describe the phenomena in terms of its observable attributes, but we have little to no understanding of the underlying mechanics. we can't even meaningfully define the necessary conditions that constitute sentience.

i work in the field of neural networks and machine learning. this field may seem like progress towards AI to the layman, but really these systems are no more sentient than a Dodge Hellcat. they are machines through and through, simply executing instructions.

the idea behind these systems is that they are capable of generating extremely complex algorithms through repetition and trial and error, and eventually become adept at recognizing patterns that are invisible to the human eye. however, just because a machine can do something better than a person, that doesn't mean it's any closer to being sentient than the first chainsaw that could cut down a tree faster than a man, or the first calculator that could factor a 20 digit number faster than a man.

i would also point out that AI in video games has made zero progress since, i don't know, the very earliest days of strategy gaming. every new console that comes out touts some new chip that will make enemies "smarter" and generates hype about how "it's thinking" or how enemies will learn and adapt. none -- i repeat NONE -- of the AI in consumer grade video games are doing anything more elaborate than following a script. some of the scripts are more complicated than others, but none are doing anything remotely resembling human thought. and it's not a matter of available computational resources. no arbitrary number of if-thens per second will ever result in self-awareness, any more than adding arbitrary horsepower to a car engine will cause it to cross a threshold and suddenly turn into Herbie the Love Bug.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The reason I have brought this up was partially based on my experience over the last year with suffering. It makes viewpoints change on critical moral dilemmas. For instance, some people are in so much pain right now as we speak they would rather be dead. They will be the people willing to experiment in ai because they have more to gain or perhaps less to lose. This is just my opinion. But I now see where things were black and white, they start to become grey. I also think we are going to see the first transferred consciousness in our lifetime. God I hope it's not me.

i would probably volunteer. what the hell, i've had a good life. and if it works, well, it'd certainly be interesting to see what it's like.

i don't think we are anywhere near the ability to do anything like this yet, though ... i don't think we understand the questions involved, let alone the answers.

i understand the scepticism and fear, but i am not someone who considers humanity in its current form to be perfect just the way it is. surely there is room for improvement! and yeah, where there's opportunity, there's also risk. but where would we be if we never took risks?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Anyone ever think about the fact that humans have a soul which gives them self awareness and you can't recreate that?

animals don't have souls according to most Christian theologians, but they display consciousness (and arguably sentience) on a level we have not even come close to replicating digitally. apparently magical immortality is not a requirement for consciousness.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I think all of this boils to whether you're a religious person.
I do agree with the "simulated" intelligence vs actual intelligence argument.
But when you're talking about reproducing the functioning of the brain components in an artificial manner (for example with neural networks - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ibm-creates-neural-network-chip-large-mouse-brain/) there is theoretically nothing that would stop you from creating a brain that functions the exact same way a human brain does.

I work in the field of neural networks. They are great for data analysis / entity correlation / complex pattern recognition / brute force trial and error type learning but they don't 'think' and aren't any closer to consciousness than your iPhone is. The hype comparing these systems to a human (or animal) brain are overstated.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/human-ai-will-we-see-it-in-our-life?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.