By Wickerman2

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by radium
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I saw recently that Plex has partnered with HDHomeRun to offer streaming and DVR service for local channels. I wonder if the Tablo would work in a scenario like that.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Installed outdoor antenna in my attic. Get every local broadcast channel in HD. I can't DVR, but that's what Hulu is for.

Do yourself a favor. Ditch the splitters and get a Tivo Romio. Then add Tivo Minis to your rooms. You'll be able to DVR from every room.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Do yourself a favor. Ditch the splitters and get a Tivo Romio. Then add Tivo Minis to your rooms. You'll be able to DVR from every room.

Yup... Best setup yet! Hate the fee but it's worth it as it's really the only device that brings all the apps and true home service into one device.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Yup... Best setup yet! Hate the fee but it's worth it as it's really the only device that brings all the apps and true home service into one device.

Do you have the Romio? There's no monthly fee on the Romio. You pay about $300 for the unit which includes lifetime service. The minis are lifetime too.

#55 2 years ago

Anyone ever hear of Dragon Box?
They are advertising it around here as getting free content from the web. Curious if anyone has heard of it or use it?

#56 2 years ago

We ditched our cable several years ago and now just use a UHF/VHF antenna to pull in the local stations (all broadcasting in beautiful uncompressed HD). I've got a TiVo Roamio PVR with Lifetime service which, even in Canada, makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying for cable. The TiVo has already paid for itself several times over. We supplement this with a Netflix subscription and are very happy with the combination of local content and streamable content.

Just a note to my fellow Canadians: TiVo will not sell directly to Canada so you must purchase your TiVo from a reseller like "Weaknees."

#57 2 years ago

Can you get USA, ESPN, AMC, HGTV, Fox news, etc? With that TiVo box?

#58 2 years ago

Iv'e been cable free for years. I did buy this a couple years ago and love it. http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

local stations (all broadcasting in beautiful uncompressed HD)

If your channels have multiple versions like, 10.1 10.2 10.3, then the signal is compressed. I spoke with someone at a local station about 10 years ago when everyone still wasn't broadcasting in HD yet, and the way he explained it is that when a station has multiple channels, each one gets a piece of the quality. So 10.1 may be 75% quality, and 10.2 and 10.3 may be 1/8 quality. Which is usually why they are all crappy looking.

Trying not to be a dick by correcting you, I just thought it was interesting useless knowledge. It then made me wish they'd get rid of those other channels so that the main one would be 100% HD.

#60 2 years ago

I'm sure this has changed but at the time (a year ago) there was no Sling app for TiVo. This was another reason Tablo + Roku 2s won out for me over OTA TiVo+TiVo Minis. Cheaper and Rokus always get the new apps First since it's popular and content agnostic.

Quoted from iceman44:

Can you get USA, ESPN, AMC, HGTV, Fox news, etc? With that TiVo box?

Sling covers all that but Fox News.

#61 2 years ago

If you have Charter for internet they have a service called Spectrum streaming which is what I use. It's $20 a month and includes an HBO Go subscription. They also give you a free Roku 3 and they offer 20 something streaming channels in the plan which covers most of what I want to watch. Between that, Netflix, Amazon and YouTube Red I never have a shortage of things to watch. Charter doesn't really advertise that they have this so you may have to call them to sign up.

http://m.homemediamagazine.com/cable/charter-launches-13-monthly-streaming-tv-service-36833

#62 2 years ago

I'm free-trial'in Hulu, PS Vue, and will start Sling trial this weekend.

Right now Sling plus OTA Antenna/DVR sounds like a good option--we'll see once I start.

I'm concerned about having a crisp picture quality. The PS Vue was not great. I'm picking up a Roku this weekend though and will try the Vue through that and see if it makes a difference. Hulu has too many gaps in specific shows I watch.

#63 2 years ago

Great thread. This shit is confusing!

I had Sling several years ago when it first came out for tv on laptop. Worthless for the most part

Would love to get rid of Direct tv. Heading to Best Buy

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I had Sling several years ago

Looks like they've improved the plans for Sling. The upper tier allows more TV's(and has a nice cable-esque selection of channels) and they have a cloud DVR in beta testing.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Meh, I hardly ever watch network TV, only local news. If there's something worth watching on like NBC, I'll catch it on Hulu a few days later. Works for me, no new equipment to buy.

#66 2 years ago

This is a nice review:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue,review-2691.html

I'm warming up to PS Vue, though their interface/guide is the worst of the 3. PS Vue DVR feature is great.

I'm still trying to figure out how to "favorite" shows on PS Vue without having it record every one of them.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Anyone ever hear of Dragon Box?
They are advertising it around here as getting free content from the web. Curious if anyone has heard of it or use it?

It's an Android based streaming device that people are running Kodi on. Dragon Box is just one of many manufacturers that people are running the Kodi app on. You can find good content on Kodi, but to me it is a big pain in the a$$ to use.

#68 2 years ago

Uggg. Got Verizon for my house, which I love. My marina has shitty wifi, so had to get a satellite and Directv. Wish I could consolidate but love having TV at both places.

#69 2 years ago

Can anyone explain jailbroken amazon firesticks for me? How does it work?

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Can anyone explain jailbroken amazon firesticks for me? How does it work?

Check YouTube... Couple of step-by-step videos that show/explain what to do. Basically you're loading a program onto the stick that lets you access and stream other online content (free) that you would not normally be able to do with the Firestick.

Anyone have the Tivo Bolt? Looking for feedback on that as I'm also interested in breaking the Cable chains!

#71 2 years ago

A couple of my friends use jailbroken fire sticks in order to load Kodi on them and stream content. A lot of times the streams will timeout, and force you to restart it again. The quality on some of the streams are also kinda crappy.

If you're ok with going the unethical route, I would suggest looking into a plex + sonarr + usenet setup. You can find guides on it by google searching "The Ultimate Server". There's a lot of setup involved initially, but it's awesome and very simple to manage afterwards.

I would skip the torrent setup part unless you have a VPN connected all the time.

Once setup, you'll be able to stream your content to any device capable of running plex, which is nearly all of them.

#72 2 years ago

I've got a Tablo on the way, HD antenna, Roku and trying PSVue for a month.

Watched a bunch of Youtube reviews on Tablo. Sounds like a great product. I can stick it anywhere in the house, hardwired and then all the content will fire off to any Roku's, tablets, iphones etc. in 1080p.

I'm going to try it all for a month or so and see what gaps are in the streaming/OTA content to see if I really need the PSVue. If I can drop that my only monthly fee will be my internet connection. You can buy lifetime Tablo guide for $150.

So, hopefully 1 time fees:

4 tuner Tablo: $275 (2 tuner $200)
Seagate 3tb storage: $90
Lifetime Table guide fee: $150
HD antenna/Roku(s): approx $100-150

=so around $600 ish depending on # of TV's vs CABLE $200/month

#73 2 years ago

I have Hulu and HBO go and I'm content with it. Cable rates where I live are through the roof so I ditched it years ago. HBO has so many great shows.

3 weeks later
#74 2 years ago

Any reviews on the tablo?? I've been looking to make the jump but wanted to hear someone else's opinion...

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Any reviews on the tablo??

I'm moving in to a new house at the end of the summer in which I'll have a way better antenna wired but I'll review w/my current setup.

The Tablo is great so far. Super easy to setup. I grabbed a 4 tuner and a 3TB(!) drive since storage is cheap. You plug in your antenna coaxial and your ethernet to it, register it online and that's it! Then you just need a device on each TV with the Tablo app. I got a new Roku to try out and also just got a Amazon Fire TV box. I'm loving the Fire TV with the alexa voice remote. You can access the Tablo on any TV or online and all your recordings or live TV pop right up.

With my super lame HD antenna I'm able to get all the main networks and a bunch of random stuff. I bought the lifetime guide for the Tablo. My only gripe thus far with it is that the guide was wrong on a couple channels so far--not the main networks though.

The Tablo web app is nice as well. I think you can actually stream the stuff to your phone and other devices as well but I haven't tried that yet.

So I think I'll end up with Tablo via Fire TV on all my TV's and possibly hold on to Playstation Vue, but I'm dumping Comcast and just keeping their internet.

FYI: I just read that Comcast is now going to start a stream TV option in a few states. Seems like they are all seeing the writing on the wall which is probably why Comcast at least is lobbying to destroy net neutrality so they can squeeze more money out of "streamers"

#76 2 years ago

Glad so far, so good. Yes you can stream to your phone as well anywhere in the world if you turn on the remote options / firewall settings.

#77 2 years ago

I have an antenna and hooked up my computer to use as a DVR. Free program guide in Windows Media center. Had to go back to using Windows 7.

2 weeks later
#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

More gray area than illegal. Legal to install kodi, what you choose to view with Kodi makes it more of that legal gray area. Speeding is also a crime, as is selling pins without reporting it on your taxes, as are lots of other things than many of us probably do on a daily basis. Life is a gray area, enjoy cheap entertainment I say.

Selling pins has to be reported on your taxes? news to me on that one. If so can I report them as losses? I have had way more money in pins then I have sold them for.

#79 2 years ago

I've recently "cut the cord". Well, sort of. I've suspended my account with DTV and began streaming with Netflix, Amazon Prime and PlayStation Vue. Here's the problem with cutting the cord. If you have a family of 4, or so, you can quickly reach your internet provider's monthly data cap. More and more providers are setting caps. Comcast did this and we get monthly notices that we are reaching our limit. Annoying. Who wants to watch TV wondering if your going over your limit?

Forget about getting unlimited data. It cost a lot more. It's cheaper to just keep your cable provider. Streaming is probably ok for a small household, but I'm finding out it doesn't work that well for larger families. When you stream, you have to constantly log in and out of all your apps depending on what you want to watch. With a cable/satellite provider, you turn on your TV and all your choices are right there. No streaming issues, clumsy menus, logging in and out nor data caps. Fall asleep with the TV on and don't worry about it. Set it and forget it. I'm currently debating whether to re-activate my DTV account.

#80 2 years ago

Cut the cord a few years back. Most of my viewing is on YouTube. I watch a bunch of netflix and also have amazon prime.

I piggyback off of a friend's Hulu... But i rarely use it.

#81 2 years ago

I started watching a lot of VHS and videodiscs on my 50 inch standard def TV. It's also the best way to watch old 4:3 shows like Hercules, Millenium. They also have surround which is pretty neat coming from 80s tech.

I may get an HD setup someday but the longer I wait the cheaper it will be. Maybe by then I can afford an HDR LG OLED TV.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I started watching a lot of VHS and videodiscs on my 50 inch standard def TV. It's also the best way to watch old 4:3 shows like Hercules, Millenium. They also have surround which is pretty neat coming from 80s tech.
I may get an HD setup someday but the longer I wait the cheaper it will be. Maybe by then I can afford an HDR LG OLED TV.

I have the 55 lg oled. It rocks.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Cut the cord a few years back. Most of my viewing is on YouTube. I watch a bunch of netflix and also have amazon prime.
I piggyback off of a friend's Hulu... But i rarely use it.

removed

#84 2 years ago

I cut the cable cord 3 years ago and don't miss it one bit. It's the easiest way to save $1200+ every year, and was remarkably painless. I purchased a powered digital antenna that plugs into the back of my tv via an HDMI cable to receive free over-the-air local broadcasts from the major networks: FOX, NBC, CBS, PBS. Interestingly the HD picture quality is outstanding, better than before, since over-the-air broadcasts aren't compressed as they often are with cable or satellite. I purchased a Roku 3 to add streaming content. A friend added me to their Netflix account for $1 per month. Finally, Amazon Prime provides a lot of content, as do my favorite blu rays. Cable is totally uneccessary in this day and age. Several friends also cut the cord and none of them miss not having cable.

As mentioned above LG OLED tvs are amazing with their perfect blacks.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

If you have a family of 4, or so, you can quickly reach your internet provider's monthly data cap

I'll watch this and see how I do. So far this month I've used 218/1024GB so it looks like we'll be fine. We're not a TV always on family. We watch shows in the evening mostly so hopefully we'll be fine. I'm guessing we'll use half? of our total. If that's the case I'd say we're watching too much TV if we amp it up enough to go over.

"806GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan"

Current setup: Netflix/Amazon Prime/PS Vue/OTA antenna w/Tablo.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

When you stream, you have to constantly log in and out of all your apps depending on what you want to watch.

Quoted from rx3:

clumsy menus, logging in and out nor data caps.

Cable is the "easiest" menu but that's only because it's all I've used for the past 25 years...literally, the same menu! I use Amazon Fire on all my TV's now and the remote is very simple. Basically you are at your Amazon Prime Streaming page and then any apps or services you use are right there...no searching around really. My Tablo is there, PS Vue is there, Netflix is there...your most frequently used stuff is on top. No log outs and log ins for each. PLUS it has the voice remote so you can just say what app you want and it'll find it.

#87 2 years ago

I can't believe I paid $200/mo to watch cable and spend 1/3rd of my time watching commercials yelling at me. And the tv shows now between espn, guy fieri, gordon ramsey, everything is fast edits and yelling as attention spans get shorter and shorter.

#88 2 years ago

I went antenna . Best decision Ever ! It is free and now I watch less tv . Win win. A ton of garbage on tv anyways , felt almost obligated to watch crap just because I was paying so much for the service .

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I've recently "cut the cord". Well, sort of. I've suspended my account with DTV and began streaming with Netflix, Amazon Prime and PlayStation Vue. Here's the problem with cutting the cord. If you have a family of 4, or so, you can quickly reach your internet provider's monthly data cap. More and more providers are setting caps. Comcast did this and we get monthly notices that we are reaching our limit. Annoying. Who wants to watch TV wondering if your going over your limit?
Forget about getting unlimited data. It cost a lot more. It's cheaper to just keep your cable provider. Streaming is probably ok for a small household, but I'm finding out it doesn't work that well for larger families. When you stream, you have to constantly log in and out of all your apps depending on what you want to watch. With a cable/satellite provider, you turn on your TV and all your choices are right there. No streaming issues, clumsy menus, logging in and out nor data caps. Fall asleep with the TV on and don't worry about it. Set it and forget it. I'm currently debating whether to re-activate my DTV account.

It's more about choice and paying for only what you want to watch. Like others have said if you leave 4 TVs on all day you will quickly hit your data cap. Competition or a new disruptive technology is the only thing that will reduce the cost of data. Most of us live in areas today with only one choice for high speed data and that is bad for consumers. It will be interesting to see where things go. The FCC has been auctioning off all the low frequency bandwidth we used to watch analog TV on when I was a kid. These frequencies are perfect for 4G data over the air.

#90 2 years ago

I just need a direct internet connection. But I think it is a good discussion.

I think it's important to find what you like and just get it.
Entertainment is something we all need. Never scrimp on the things you like. If possible. Life is too short.

#91 2 years ago

If your concern is data caps, another arugment for OTA/antenna/DVR. Granted, it's just the broadcast channels but saves over watching the stuff on hulu. We certainly haven't had any issues with data and my wife does like the TV on as noise in the background.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

With a Plex setup, you download the shows to your computer, and it streams the content to your other devices. Download once, play many times. This works great with younger kids, because they tend to watch the same shows over and over.

You can save further on bandwidth by selecting lower resolution content if picture quality isn't a huge factor. I subscribe to about 60 shows, and I average about 400GB a month of data transfer.

1 week later
#93 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

and I average about 400GB a month of data transfer.

I used 400/1000GB last month.

FYI: Any Neil Gaiman fans out there? Starz has a free 7 day trial and you can watch the first episode of American Gods. I read the book years ago. The show is great. They are probably going to get my $9/month for the duration of the show.

2 months later
#94 2 years ago

Update: still like the PS Vue, but they just jacked their monthly by $10, so they are mid-pack in terms of pricing for streaming instead of one of the cheapest.

#95 2 years ago

Usenet is still only $10/mo.

#96 2 years ago

My wife wanted to try Hulu live, so we have that now in addition to Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime, and YouTube red. I watched an hour of tv on it, and I am done. I haven't watched commercials in over 10 years, and nothing on tv is worth sitting through that.

If it was just me, I would have netflix and YouTube red. Those are the only real values to me.

#97 2 years ago

I haven't investigated to far into this, but "Directv now" is offering a streaming service for $35/month. Looks like it has all the channels that I care about included and no contract commitment. You run it off apple or Roku or like device. I would still miss the ability to record my programs. I seldom watch TV live since as stated above, don't have the time or patience for commercials.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

but "Directv now"

They didn't have a DVR feature but they are supposed to be releasing a cloud DVR with it anytime. Not sure if there's an added charge. That was the main con for me.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Usenet is still only $10/mo.

Here's a man who knows what's up. I'll just leave it at that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 254.99
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 259.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 12.95
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside