(Topic ID: 31793)

Hulk is sold out

By BShing

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hulk-181-comic-book-tattoo.jpg

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

I don't like paying 7k for le models (which are really the pro models of two years ago.)

So you really think Big Buck Hunter Pro, Iron Man, Avatar, NBA and The Rolling Stones have as much going on and BOM wise than Avengers LE and X-Men LE?

#102 11 years ago

The color choice regarding HULK is a great decision. Placed beside XMEN, the blue would just blend.

#103 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well, we don't really know the true demand yet. All we know at this point is that there are a lot of people willing to speculate that Hulk will go up in value. This may or may not happen. It is my understanding that the blue Avengers version isn't selling nearly as quickly. If the game turns out to be a bust, a lot of distributors will be stuck with them.

As long as they move to the distributors at lightening speed, they'll be going up or staying the same price. That's the only sale Stern makes or cares about. Now if distributors can't move them, they'll stop buying, but that's not been the case. They're still looking for that sweet spot on pricing where they're getting maximum revenue from the distributor. If they're selling them out in 2 days they're under pricing based on demand. Insane, but true.

#104 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

So you really think Big Buck Hunter Pro, Iron Man, Avatar, NBA and The Rolling Stones have as much going on and BOM wise than Avengers LE and X-Men LE?

Maybe 3 years? I was referring to pre-cost cutting pins. I would imagine my POTC has a more expensive bom than ACDC. I could be wrong.

#105 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

The color choice regarding HULK is a great decision. Placed beside XMEN, the blue would just blend.

Not if you have Magneto...red & green ....it's Christmas time!!!!!!

#106 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Maybe 3 years? I was referring to pre-cost cutting pins. I would imagine my POTC has a more expensive bom than ACDC. I could be wrong.

I'm with you there....but it's easy to see that Stern has got past it's bare bones phase.

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm with you there....but it's easy to see that Stern has got past it's bare bones phase.

They better not be bare bones with an MSRP of $8,100.

#108 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They better not be bare bones with an MSRP of $8,100.

This has nothing to do with being bare bones. It is a business just like any other business. If people are willing to pay, they will keep jacking up the price. I'm sure their investors wallets are getting fatter and fatter because we keep paying these stupid prices.

#109 11 years ago

Stern is owned by an investment group and not Gary Stern. In this sense yes as long as people are willing to pay then pricing will go even higher.

#110 11 years ago

This was my ceiling. 7k . At 7100 I pass. And only be ause I really liked the Hulk. I would not have paid that for the other LE. For me it's clearly reached a point.

#111 11 years ago

Belgium, hulk sold out in 3 days.

#112 11 years ago

Stern is partially owned by Capital Investment i think not sure though.

#113 11 years ago

Basic rule of marketing. Keep raising prices until ceiling reached. Stern are just doing what any business would.

We are helping them by paying any price for the fresh, shiny, newness

#114 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

This has nothing to do with being bare bones. It is a business just like any other business. If people are willing to pay, they will keep jacking up the price. I'm sure their investors wallets are getting fatter and fatter because we keep paying these stupid prices.

My comment wasn't a knock on Stern. I think they've done a great job with the company, tweaking their business model with each new pin, and becoming more and more profitable. I may not be happy about the high prices, but I certainly don't blame Stern.

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Stern is partially owned by Capital Investment i think not sure though.

If you google-foo is strong, you can dig around and find out who some of these companies are.

#116 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Basic rule of marketing. Keep raising prices until ceiling reached. Stern are just doing what any business would.

This only works because there is no competition. And then finally, when we get competition he raises the ceiling even more. Thanks a lot JJ. I feel the same as some fellow pinsiders, I refuse to keep supporting this trend. The ceiling is reached for me.

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

If you google-foo is strong, you can dig around and find out who some of these companies are.

I didnt think it was worth my time, having to take a shit and all right now.

#118 11 years ago

If I get an Avengers it would be a premium, but I tell you after looking at Avengers and comparing it to Xmen I think I would rather have Xmen.

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

This only works because there is no competition. And then finally, when we get competition he raises the ceiling even more. Thanks a lot JJ. I feel the same as some fellow pinsiders, I refuse to keep supporting this trend. The ceiling is reached for me.

They're attempting to compete on quality at the same price point. Either that or there is unspoken price collusion. If Stern had the cash they could put out similar or better quality games for less money and eventually choke them out, but I doubt they have that kind of war chest.

#120 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I didnt think it was worth my time, having to take a shit and all right now.

ROTFLMAO!

#121 11 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

If I get an Avengers it would be a premium, but I tell you after looking at Avengers and comparing it to Xmen I think I would rather have Xmen.

Yep, me too.

#122 11 years ago

Stern dealers have sold out of HULK, and still plenty others. XMEN LE is fun , my guess is that HULK, which I bought from Mike, will be a SMASH! Already more popular, based on orders. Mike is a great guy to deal with. This will be beside my XMEN, and my guess is it will get more plays.

#123 11 years ago

Dealers have not sold out of Hulk. I spoke to a dealer today and he has lots.

#124 11 years ago

How much were acdc LE models? I thought they were more than $7000 shipped. Until we see the price of a premium we don't know that prices were raised. Seems like everyone assumes the prices are higher each time but it seems like they go up and down. Xmen LE was $6700 shipped, acdc premium $6300 shipped but I thought the LE was $7500 or so.

#125 11 years ago

I will have hulks in at the best price.

#126 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

How much were acdc LE models? I thought they were more than $7000 shipped. Until we see the price of a premium we don't know that prices were raised. Seems like everyone assumes the prices are higher each time but it seems like they go up and down. Xmen LE was $6700 shipped, acdc premium $6300 shipped but I thought the LE was $7500 or so.

ACDC LE's were 6700 plus shipping (lower to some repeat buyers with loyalty discount) My ACDC Prem was 6200 shipped, but I didn't decide I wanted one until LE's were long gone at the good price. At 8499 MSRP and 6700 preorder, it makes the Avengers MSRP to preorder price a bit questionable. I guess the distributors are not discounting as deep as before because they know we want it.

#127 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Stern dealers have sold out of HULK, and still plenty others. XMEN LE is fun , my guess is that HULK, which I bought from Mike, will be a SMASH! Already more popular, based on orders. Mike is a great guy to deal with. This will be beside my XMEN, and my guess is it will get more plays.

Serious cool-aid drinking here.

#128 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Serious cool-aid drinking here.

When people have lots and lots of money this happens.

#129 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Dealers have not sold out! Fact is people are being more cautious this time around. And I doubt the Avengers LE's are selling faster than X-men, I had to scramble to find my Wolverine and I got in on the first day.

By the time you get your Hulk, the new code will be out for X-men, so how could you say that you think the Avengers will get more plays based on a few pictures?

#130 11 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

Dealers have not sold out of Hulk. I spoke to a dealer today and he has lots.

The "best" dealers with the "best" pricing sell out first.

#131 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Hulk will be the one to have just like Tron LE and BIBLEACDC. It seems the one that get all the hype, Transformers LE and Xmen Le do down but not that much 1000 to 1500 off retail and the ones that pop go up 2 to 3k add 3k to the 7k you finally get that Stern 10k machine.

#132 11 years ago

I'd be very surprised if Hulk already sold out. This machine did not receive near the hype or build up of XMen and XMen didn't sell out this quickly after the announcement. But that is great news for Stern if it is true.

#133 11 years ago

I'm curious as to why Stern requires distributors to take 1 of each game ie if they order 10 Hulks they are forced to take 10 Avengers Le

I am also curious as to why Stern did not do 300 Hulks and 200-250 Avengers LE.

Oh well. I hope the game is awesome as it looks fantastic.

#134 11 years ago

When I get done with mine, I'm selling it to this guy.

hulk-181-comic-book-tattoo.jpghulk-181-comic-book-tattoo.jpg

#135 11 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

Dealers have not sold out! Fact is people are being more cautious this time around.

For damn good reason, too!

#136 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I'm curious as to why Stern requires distributors to take 1 of each game ie if they order 10 Hulks they are forced to take 10 Avengers Le

Because they know the Hulk is going to be way more popular. If they didn't force the distributors to do a 1 commitment, they would all order 20 hulks and no Avengers. This way, Stern sells way more games and leaves it up to the distributors to move the less desirable product.

Quoted from hank527:

I am also curious as to why Stern did not do 300 Hulks and 200-250 Avengers LE.

This is an excellent question, and to be honest, I haven't a clue.

#137 11 years ago

I personally prefer the blue LE, and I imagine there are a good many that do also. If its "less desirable" I really wonder how much so. Yes, the Hulk LE is bitchin' and eye catching, and id have that green dmd in my csi if it wasn't so damn pricey...but the blue LE looks breathtaking...and I trust JJ, who corroborates that opinion...even if he does have a shitload of them to sell!

#138 11 years ago

I think the whole myth of "HURRY QUICK ORDER NOW or you'll MISS OUT!" has been thouroughly debunked. We've all seen this act a few times too many at this point.

Play Before You Pay, people! The code on Stern's last game is not complete yet, and many owners are still waiting on parts to be able to play their XMLEs!

Pre-ordering their next game based on a few pictures just does not seem like a wise move or use of your dollars, especially based on what happened with the last Gomez/Ropp offering. Just MHO!

#139 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Because they know the Hulk is going to be way more popular. If they didn't force the distributors to do a 1 commitment, they would all order 20 hulks and no Avengers. This way, Stern sells way more games and leaves it up to the distributors to move the less desirable product.
    This is an excellent question, and to be honest, I haven't a clue.

This all makes me wonder why they don't just make a single LE game. Why try and create demand of one over the other. If they know the Hulk is gonna be more popular, don't make the other one. Although I think the Hulk edition is a cool looking, it is not a Hulk only machine. I was baffled by the Xmen crap too. Just make a good looking LE that represents the license well.

#140 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You gotta give Stern credit. The fact that they can sell out a machine before anyone has played it or even seen a video of it is remarkable.

It's not sold out. They're promised to distributors.

The illusion of rarity drives the price up and motivates more people to prematurely pay.

If the machine is any good, there will be plenty available in the future, maybe not the LEs, but I contend the "pinball-as-an-investment" thing will be short-lived.

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huls-is-sold-out/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.