Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by paul_8788
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The Super Jackpot is pretty fun to get. For those who don't know, after getting a bunch of jackpots, you have to get the Hulk Smash target behind Hulk - but his arm blocks it. You have to hit him, and his arms will stay up momentarily - while they're up you can hit the target with another ball. Pretty satisfying...although sometimes the magnet will whip the ball into the target for you...I'm not complaining.

Hey, if you're talking about the Special...that is awesome. Can you imagine how satisfying that shot would be if you actually put a few bucks into the machine and got a free game?

#52 10 years ago

So what are some of the things to dial this in properly

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

So what are some of the things to dial this in properly

This thread talks about the majority:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-tweaks-have-you-done-to-hulk-le#post-865173

I just got an Avengers LE Blue Edition (the better looking one in my opinion and I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking it. Just one last thing to do and that's to adjust the Thor drop targets as per this SB:

http://www.sternpinball.com/SB/ServiceBulletin_165.html

Kind of annoying that Stern is aware the mech has a known problem and they use it anyhow in Avengers without correcting the issue.

I have to say the game is alot better than it gets credit for. I've adjusted the settings as per Frolic's post in the "What tweaks have you done..." post and I like it much better. Out of the box, the settings are far too hard and make the game a chore to play. I think this is one of the big things going against the game. As result of the default settings, the game on location is likely to be a chore. As well, it will likely has the initial code and it's terrible -- it doesn't award the Avenger when you complete one.

With current software and the proper tweaks done, it's a great game.

Cheers,
Duane

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-tweaks-have-you-done-to-hulk-le#post-865173

I just got an Avengers LE Blue Edition (the better looking one in my opinion and I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking it. Just one last thing to do and that's to adjust the Thor drop targets as per this SB:

Kind of annoying that Stern is aware the mech has a known problem and they use it anyhow in Avengers without correcting the issue.

I have to say the game is alot better than it gets credit for. I've adjusted the settings as per Frolic's post in the "What tweaks have you done..." post and I like it much better. Out of the box, the settings are far too hard and make the game a chore to play. I think this is one of the big things going against the game. As result of the default settings, the game on location is likely to be a chore. As well, it will likely has the initial code and it's terrible -- it doesn't award the Avenger when you complete one.

Cheers,
Duane

Nice post Duane!
Agreed. It's a great game. Go the blue version!

#55 10 years ago

Great game, just sold mine but really enjoyed it. I don't understand the hate it gets as MB is so similar in terms of make the shots and then keep making them but MB is a sacred cow of the pinball world like MM so it can do no wrong. ENJOY

#56 10 years ago

Thanks for the links and advice

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

Great game, just sold mine but really enjoyed it. I don't understand the hate it gets as MB is so similar in terms of make the shots and then keep making them but MB is a sacred cow of the pinball world like MM so it can do no wrong. ENJOY

Whenever someone says "I don't understand the hate..." ...I just go ...there IS a reason. Out of the box, the game is a butthole!!! That's why there's hate, pure and simple. Also, some people just don't like the linear type rules. Some people have never played it but just piggyback on the negative feedback.

Now - I have the game...I'm just being objective here. I've solved all the out of the box BS on mine and it's rockin'. You're right, the rules are very MB-ish but with the extra challenge of the Vs. Multiballs.

Now that I've had the game for a little bit, I'm slightly hitting that point where it's feeling a little monotonous due to the length of play....yet at the same time I'm still hitting the Start button a lot. I get the feeling it won't be a long term keeper, but I'd like to keep it and jam on it until I can complete more of the Vs. modes....maybe even get to the wiz mode. The game has really great music and Sound FX...honestly that's a little nugget that keeps me coming back.

#58 10 years ago

Greg, what do you think of the call outs? That was one big reason many people crapped on the game early. You had your doubts. How about now?

#59 10 years ago

I was very concerned about the voices before I ordered. Having owned the machine for 6 months, I do not find the voices off-putting at all. CA does suck - too wimpy. Hawkeye sounds a lot like CA. BW is ok. But others are great (Loki, Thor, Hulk, Chatari). Nick Fury seemed really off initially but I like him now.

Can't speak for Greg, but my concerns about the voices were unfounded.

I do think the game need essential tweaks. Both to code (making it easier to start modes) and to physical elements (inlane plastics, Loki lock plastic, Tesseract mod, etc). But when people have come over to play my game (LE with a fair number of cool mods) they always ask "why do people hate this game? it is fun!"

#60 10 years ago

I do agree with Rarehero that the game is a bit of a turd out of the box. I think most people who only play it on route will get a bad impression of it. Having to hit BW 14 times to collect her is silly IMO. There is a lot of fun and cool code that is deep into the game. But operators likely won't tweak settings at all. Where I live, operators don't even update the code and its free and takes minutes to do.

I think AV will be underappreciated by most, but loved by those that own it or get a chance to play a nicely modded and tuned HUO.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Greg, what do you think of the call outs? That was one big reason many people crapped on the game early. You had your doubts. How about now?

My opinion is still the same. The fakeness is still a reason I wouldn't pay the NIB premium price...but for the price I got it for, my expectations relax a bit Some are good: Thor, Hulk, Chitauri, Loki ...some are OK: Hawkeye, Black Widow ...some don't "match": Iron Man, Nick Fury ...and one is occasionally bad: Captain America. However, none are offensive and oft-putting like Beast & Storm on X-Men, and the excellent music and sound FX make up for the occasional lame-ass Cap line.

#62 10 years ago

Cap is the worst, but "blow it out your staff Loki" makes up for it for me. I like the Nick Fury voice. Most are pretty good.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

I agree. When I first played it, I compared it to MB. I called it "Super MB". I'm loving the game and don't see it going anywhere.

Cheers,
Duane

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Cap is the worst, but "blow it out your staff Loki" makes up for it for me. I like the Nick Fury voice. Most are pretty good.

My son laughed when he heard Nick Fury Doesn't sound a thing like him. I don't mind the others -- even CA. Samuel Jackson has such a unique voice, you would think there would be a few voice actors that could do a decent impersonation. Oh well, such is life. Could be worse.

Cheers,
Duane

#65 10 years ago

Did they make premiums for this game? I'm almost sure they did, but I've never seen one that wasn't an LE or Pro. I played a few LEs at shows when it came out and I hated it. BUT, this past summer I was in France and played one on location with some locals and it was awesome. I'd consider getting a premium or LE if the price was right.

French guy: What do you call it when it goes straight down the middle?
Me: Uhh..SDTM..straight down the middle.
French guy: We call it Avion, Airplane in english
Me: Huh...what do you call it when it drains in the outlines
French guy: Oh...you say F*#K!!! S#*T!!

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Did they make premiums for this game? I'm almost sure they did, but I've never seen one that wasn't an LE or Pro. I played a few LEs at shows when it came out and I hated it. BUT, this past summer I was in France and played one on location with some locals and it was awesome. I'd consider getting a premium or LE if the price was right.

Yeah they made them but I don't think many in this community bought one since you could get a dialed-in modded HUO LE for about the same.

#67 10 years ago

Cheers,
Duane

thank you for posting the service bulletin. You would think that they would email it to owners being that we are registered. I just started having problems with Thor drop targets

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

thank you for posting the service bulletin. You would think that they would email it to owners being that we are registered. I just started having problems with Thor drop targets

I agree. I even went to the trouble to email it to them. Mine have started to really act up. Planning on doing it tonight or this weekend.

Cheers,
Duane

1 week later
#69 10 years ago

Just modded the Thor drop targets on my Blue LE and guess what? They work right now. I only had to put one washer on one of the targets but at least I know now that if I get the "triple thump" I can fix it easily enough.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Just modded the Thor drop targets on my Blue LE and guess what? They work right now. I only had to put one washer on one of the targets but at least I know now that if I get the "triple thump" I can fix it easily enough.

just the fact that the service bulletin was from World Poker Tour and not Avengers and Stern's "fix" for Avengers
was a paper washer. Shows you their commitment to quality. Those tiny washers are so expensive.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

I'll be doing mine this week. I'm going to put a washer on each of the targets so I don't have to revisit this issue again.

I have to agree with Rarehero. The number of "fixes" and "tweaks" required to the game are unreasonable. No operator is going to take the time to complete the fixes and, as a result, the game will not play properly in the wild. A real shame as it is a great game once tweaked.

Cheers,
Duane

#72 10 years ago

I'll be doing mine this week. I'm going to put a washer on each of the targets so I don't have to revisit this issue again.
I have to agree with Rarehero. The number of "fixes" and "tweaks" required to the game are unreasonable. No operator is going to take the time to complete the fixes and, as a result, the game will not play properly in the wild. A real shame as it is a great game once tweaked.
Cheers,
Duane

The target banks are on several games including ACDC Prem/LE. I agree that there were a lot of out of the box problems, but the target banks are not game specific.
At least with STLE, Stern has spent more time before shipping to hopefully work out these small irritations. I think it would have been better if they had delayed the announcement of the game and taken sales later so people would not have to wait after paying. Pre-paying and having customers wait is a terrible business model for Stern and of course JJP.

#73 10 years ago

I have an AC/DC Premium in my basement right now. My buddy bought it and it's on loan so I get to enjoy it for a month. While it has drops, it has 0 issues with them. Unlike Avengers, the drops work perfectly. I don't know why as nothing has been done to the game.

Cheers,
Duane

#74 10 years ago

I have an AC/DC Premium in my basement right now. My buddy bought it and it's on loan so I get to enjoy it for a month. While it has drops, it has 0 issues with them. Unlike Avengers, the drops work perfectly. I don't know why as nothing has been done to the game.

Cheers,
Duane

The drops on my Avengers worked fine out of the box. My guess is some AC/DCs need adjustment, others don't. Sometimes you get a NIB game that works great right out of the box, other times you could get one that has a ton of things go wrong with it. The joys of purchasing a hand assembled item.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hulk-avengers-le/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.