(Topic ID: 63340)

huh? How does a HUO game get this filthy?

By eXidy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BoJo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo.JPG
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
sopranos.jpg

#1 6 years ago

This game came from a fairly clean home, the outside of the game was in excellent condition but the playfield is unbelievably dirty.

sopranos.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Owner does not know the glass comes off?

#3 6 years ago

The o-rings and flipper rubber

#4 6 years ago

Heavily routed before he bought it, and he never figured out how to take the glass off.

#5 6 years ago

clean it up and lets see an after pic.

#6 6 years ago

It's pinball patina

A trophy much like mud splattered on a 4WD truck

He probably plays more pinball than most of us. No time for Pinside, waxing or such tomfoolery. That owner played his game like a champion. He didn't put soda in his whiskey or add LED's, nope.

I want to buy a NIB MET & look down 10 years later to see the same proud accomplishment.

#7 6 years ago

HUO doesn't mean it hasn't had the crap played out of it.
Usually when they look like that they are diamonds in the rough.
Had a POTC that looked like that - gorgeous, perfect cabinet but filthy playfield.
Lots of scrubbing and flame polishing and it seriously looked brand new when I was done.

Those are the one you want to find!
D

#8 6 years ago

Dgoett, 100% correct. I waxed it for 10 minutes and it looks new underneath. But I just noticed something else, I think every GI light is burnt out too. I thought it was a connector problem or a blown fuse, but they were fine. I replaced 4 random lights and they were burnt out.

This game was played a ton and neglected

#9 6 years ago

I'm betting it was left on for extended periods of time. the mess comes from all the dust attracted by the lights. Explains the burned out GI as well.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

This game was played a ton and neglected

Did you check the audits? If they didn't bother to clean the game, they likely didn't reset the audits. I'll guess 5673 total plays (8 years, no cleanings). That's a little worse than Disneyland pins after a month or so between cleanings.

Bet the software is down rev too. That dirt looks really old. d

#11 6 years ago

i only checked the earnings. said $1.50

ill check the game plays in a bit...

#12 6 years ago

Just proves "HUO" has nothing to do with condition
Thanks for sharing this, I bet is cleans up awesome! I too have purchased a machine with every bulb in the GI burned out....crazy

#13 6 years ago

Better check those batteries while your at it also.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Had a POTC that looked like that - gorgeous, perfect cabinet but filthy playfield.
Lots of scrubbing and flame polishing and it seriously looked brand new when I was done.
D

Yep found a HUO MM that was the same way.. one owner never ever cleaned it or so it appeared.. was perfect when gone over

#15 6 years ago

audits and the playfield after a 10 minute cleaning.

image_3.jpeg image.jpeg image_1.jpeg image_2.jpeg photo.JPG

#16 6 years ago

I cleaned up a routed version and that pf will end up shinny like new! Sterns get dirty as hell but adds a protective barrier keeping the pf super nice under the dirt

#17 6 years ago

sooner or later, people will realize that "huo" is NOT a "condition"...

it is a "marketing term"... a meaningless one, at that...

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

sooner or later, people will realize that "huo" is NOT a "condition"...
it is a "marketing term"... a meaningless one, at that...

All of it depends on what house it was in! Pinhead....should be nice. Average Joe....who knows!

#19 6 years ago

These peeps just played the game and never maintained it. But remarkably the game has no errors and plays well. Just dark and dirty as hell.

#20 6 years ago

I'm sure that you can include those "high quality" pinballs that Stern includes with the game as a factor as well.

#21 6 years ago

Hard to beleive it would be anywhere near that dirty after 1200 plays...

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

But I just noticed something else, I think every GI light is burnt out too.

I bet the bulbs got black with dirt and burned out. I have a Spy Hunter that was that dirty and every single bulb was burnt out even the inserts were black with dirt.

#23 6 years ago

I bought a HUO LOTR years ago
-Super black dirty playfield like yours
-Balrog didn't swing out right
-Magnet fuse had blown, so ring magnet didn't work
-Ring ramp spinner switch broken, so modes could never start

I was a bit sad for them, as they never really got to truly enjoy what the game had to offer....but once I cleaned it up and fixed stuff, it's been quite the champ ever since!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Hard to beleive it would be anywhere near that dirty after 1200 plays...

mighta been subjected to a lot of temperature fluctuations or humidity, causing condensation under the glass, and dampness on the playfield, leaving dirt and mold. even if it wasn't kept in a garage, it coulda been in a dank basement or minimally temp controlled storage room of the house.

also, I dunno, maybe he constantly oiled the thing with 10w-30 or something? haha

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I bought a HUO LOTR years ago
-Super black dirty playfield like yours
-Balrog didn't swing out right
-Magnet fuse had blown, so ring magnet didn't work
-Ring ramp spinner switch broken, so modes could never start
I was a bit sad for them, as they never really got to truly enjoy what the game had to offer....but once I cleaned it up and fixed stuff, it's been quite the champ ever since!

If Stern did a rerun of LOTR your list is what the Pro would lack compared to its Premium offering

#26 6 years ago

May have been in a basement with a wood stove nearby.

#27 6 years ago

Why can't pinball owners keep their playfields clean, takes 10 mins once a month.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from iskidoo:

May have been in a basement with a wood stove nearby.

Got my BOP from a guy who had his pins in the same room as a large open fireplace that was used quite a bit. The black sooty gunk everywhere was hard to believe.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

D

Yup! I think in some cases the dirt often acts as a preservative. If it's a little dirty and the dirt is loose in composition it acts like sandpaper when the ball is in motion, but if it is a lot of tough dirt coating, the ball slides around on top of the dirt and doesn't wear the playfield.

#30 6 years ago

That is what black rubber and neglect will get you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside