• Latest reply 2 years ago by EJS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

getaway (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I have an early version of HSII: Getaway in which the coil that kicks the ball up the shooter lane is a 23-850. In the later (and more common) version of the game, Williams changed this coil to the A-15708 for more power; however, this change also necessitated refitting the machine to accommodate the larger sized coil - the A-15708 is simply too large to be fitted into my (earlier) version of the game.

My problem is that the 23-850 doesn't have enough punch to propel the ball around the loop at the top like it's supposed to. Following the consensus that less wrapping around the core of the coil leads to a stronger coil, I've also tried a 23-800 and a 23-750, each of which were progressively weaker at getting the ball to the top of the playfield.

Is there anyone out there with the earlier version of Getaway who has solved this problem, and if so, how?

Thanks!
--BB

#2 2 years ago

The 800 and 750 are stronger coils. Is the plunger hitting the center of the ball ? Ball not hitting anything going up the shooter lane ?

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Plunger is hitting the ball dead-center, coil is getting the prescribed 50 volts, and ball is not hitting any obstacles… just drops down into pop bumpers once it reaches the top.

I’ve ordered a new plunger armature from Marco (which I don’t think is the issue), along with an “armature extension” whose purpose they don’t offer an explanation for - so at this point, I’m just kind of experimenting.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from texas_compadre:

Plunger is hitting the ball dead-center, coil is getting the prescribed 50 volts, and ball is not hitting any obstacles… just drops down into pop bumpers once it reaches the top.
I’ve ordered a new plunger armature from Marco (which I don’t think is the issue), along with an “armature extension” whose purpose they don’t offer an explanation for - so at this point, I’m just kind of experimenting.

My shooter took some extensive shimming/aligning in both the up-down and left-right directions. When you are checking dead center contact, are you also checking it at the maximum plunger stroke?

#5 2 years ago

It's a simple trick, but it might work for this situation. Put some wax on the shooter lane. That should get rid of some of the drag.

#6 2 years ago

Shogun00, yes, waxing the shooter lane does improve it a bit, as does adding a common shooter rubber to the end of the plunger armature. But it turns out I've found the definitive answer - Marco sells a complete shooter assembly kit consisting of a new mounting bracket and a stronger coil:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15708-P?fbclid=IwAR1id0YxkcAKxg0AI5exVdkGNY1Wh67qcMyb43SSn2lWpeHoP1QfbN3yGSM

getaway (resized).jpggetaway (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

Get it. Your game deserves it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hsii-getaway-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.