(Topic ID: 104972)

** - FIXED - ** HS2/Getaway Shooter Lane Solenoid Help :)

By NPO

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MJW
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys,

So, recently I installed a new coil sleeve and re-aligned my shooter lane solenoid. Unfortunately upon bootup, something got crazy and the shooter lane solenoid no longer works. It did work once, and then I strongly believe that both the solenoid's lugs were on the leaf switches of the right flipper, and I caused something to short out . I get 0 volts at both lugs of the solenoid on my DMM with one lead on one lug and the other on ground. All of my other solenoids are getting power, so I know it is isolated to just my shooter lane solenoid.

So, on HS2, there is a high current driver board on the top left of the PF (this is with the PF propped up against the backbox) with two IDC connectors. One connector goes to the shooter lane solenoid; the other goes to the rest of the wiring harness to the machine.

After a solid night and morning of diagnosis and many tests, I found that I have continuity from the brown/yellow wire of the IDC connector on the high current driver board to the other end which is at J127. For the other wire - the purple/orange stripe wire, the manual shows it going back to J107. I traced the wiring through the machine, and this wire goes straight from the IDC connector on the high current board to the J107 connector - at least that is what the manual shows. So I ran a continuity test there - nothing. Then I noticed J109 had the exact same kind of wire, so for kicks, I did a continuity test there - and the audible chirp went off - indicating continuity - even though the manual shows it should go to J107.

So, here's the question - can someone with a HS2 verify my results? I know that every once in a while the manuals are wrong, but this is something that could mean possibly a fried board, so I'm just asking for someone to verify my results.

Later today, I am swapping BSD and HS2's cpu boards to see if the problem follows BSD. If it does, I know it is in the cpu board. If not, I am thinking the driver board may have something wrong with it.

Needless to say, until I fix this, my FS thread for HS2 is on hold/suspended.

Help.

#2 9 years ago

Check the fuse for that coil to start. If you wired in the coil wrong it will blow the fuse for sure. If you had the coil leads touch the leaf switch, you could have shorted the switch matrix possibly. Start with the fuse, verify you did not swap wires on the coil.

#3 9 years ago

Fuse continuity checked out.

I didn't desolder the coil lugs; everything stayed solid.

#4 9 years ago

Did a quick check and I ran a continuity test from Purple/Orange at the plunger coil back to 107 and it give me continuity. But so does to the Purple/Orange on 109 as well. I also have continuity between 107 and 109 at the IDC connectors too.

Hope this helps.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Fuse continuity checked out.

As in pulled it off the board and checked with a meter ?

Just want to be sure.

LTG : )™

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Elfman:

Did a quick check and I ran a continuity test from Purple/Orange at the plunger coil back to 107 and it give me continuity. But so does to the Purple/Orange on 109 as well. I also have continuity between 107 and 109 at the IDC connectors too.
Hope this helps.

Thank you ! It makes me wonder if something is fried on the driver board now..ugh D: ...

Quoted from LTG:

As in pulled it off the board and checked with a meter ?
Just want to be sure.
LTG : )™

Is there any other right way ?

Yes, absolutely off the board .

#7 9 years ago

Fuse OK, have continuity....Start following the power flow and see where your voltage is lost. If you do not have one already, a schematic for the game will come in VERY handy.

Also..have you tested the diode for this coil yet? A bad diode can cause this issue as well.

#8 9 years ago

There is no diode mounted on HS2's shooter lane solenoid . In the process of swapping cpu boards right now. Been a long 18 hrs D:

#9 9 years ago

CPU board swap complete. BSD works perfectly. Eyeballing the driver board now .

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

CPU board swap complete. BSD works perfectly. Eyeballing the driver board now .

It would not be mounted on the coil, it is on the driver board. Check that.

#11 9 years ago

Not trying to be an ass, but can you be a bit more specific? There's lots of things on the driver board D: ...!!

I'm totally grateful for any help .

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Not trying to be an ass, but can you be a bit more specific? There's lots of things on the driver board D: ...!!
I'm totally grateful for any help .

You need to pull/download the manual and see what diode it is. I do not know (don't own the game, and am at work ). If worse comes to worse, you should be able to use a DMM and continuity to follow the pin to the proper diode.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

You need to pull/download the manual and see what diode it is. I do not know (don't own the game, and am at work ). If worse comes to worse, you should be able to use a DMM and continuity to follow the pin to the proper diode.

I think I know what you're getting at now.

On this game, there is a high current driver board, and on that board is a diode. It is the only diode in the circuit - to the best of my knowledge, and it check out good at 0.551v.

#14 9 years ago

GOT IT!

Broken purple/orange wire somewhere between J107-2 and the high current driver board underneath the PF. Ran a jumper wire of equal gauge from the bottom pop bumper to the current driver board - since they are both on the same circuit with the same voltage - and I am back up!!!!!

I'll do a GoPro video soon of what I did and the steps I took to rectify this issue for everyone.

It must have singed and broken the wire but not the insulation when I shorted the shooter plunger solenoid lugs with the leaf switch of the right flipper. The correct fuse is installed - so why it did not blow that first puzzles me - but oh well!

Man, I may not sell this bad boy now. I fell in love with it again fixing it. Is this the pinball version of the Florence Nightingale effect o_O ?????

Big huge shout outs to Mark Combs of Mark's Pinball and Scott Weir of WeirPinball - thank you so much to both of you for your guidance, knowledge, and assistance.

YEAH!!!!!!!

#15 9 years ago

Glad you got it worked out.

Now... SHIFT GEARS!!!!

#16 9 years ago

Video of what was wrong, diagnosis, and how it was repaired here.

I may need to make some small annotations as I made some quick assumptions in the video. GoPro videos get very big very quickly, so I tried to keep it short. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

#17 9 years ago

Thanks for posting this. Somebody is going to use this info to get their game working. I always did find it odd that manual has those coils listed as daisy chain but they are not.

#18 9 years ago

Glad to help - absolutely!

I am blessed enough to have both great resources and know extraordinarily knowledgeable people in this hobby. The very least I can do is share that wealth!

#19 9 years ago

Forgot to tell you I liked your foam solution to not taking balls out. I've been doing the hard way .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2getaway-shooter-lane-solenoid-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.