Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dunc
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN1736_(2)_(resized).JPG
DSCN1735_(2)_(resized).JPG
DSCN1737_(2)_(resized).JPG
DSCN1732_(2)_(resized).JPG
DSCN1740_(2)_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_1631_(resized).JPG

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

This is my first machine and the one that I've considered selling to replace with a nicer one on and off. The machine has been the most solid of all I've owned with only a few switch adjustments, sling rubbers replace and flipper switches recently. I have done a flipper rebuild and complete tear down when I got it but I was a newb and could have done several things better. Note that I swapped out a coin door and put a CT kit in here back then. I kept saying I'll redo the LED's when I do a shop job. Which is now almost 5 years with a few wipe downs over time.

The cabinet is staying the way it is: some ding and dents with typical faded art. I'd love to do a cabinet, but I just don't have the energy to deal with it right now. There will be new parts with some cleaning of old. This was an Italian reimport and by the oxidizing of many screws, it must have seen moisture at some point. There's all sorts of playfield blems: some bad planking by the pops near ramp, Free Ride insert has text off and poorly touched up, left outlane far screw was missdrilled, and all sorts of chipped inserts due to lifted inserts. It still plays awesome, but I love the game and when the playfields were made available, it was a great excuse to get one.

I started tear down to get the rails off for TaylorVA to replace. I have most of the top side done today.

DSCN3189.jpg
DSCN3204.jpg
DSCN3234.jpg
DSCN3244.jpg
DSCN3266.jpg
DSCN3188.jpg
DSCN3198.jpg
DSCN3202.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Some of the new playfield:

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

#3 3 years ago

Some shots of the supercharger and ramp mechs.

DSCN3191.jpg

DSCN3192.jpg

DSCN3196.jpg

DSCN3195.jpg

DSCN3197.jpg

DSCN3228.jpg

DSCN3229.jpg

DSCN3230.jpg

#4 3 years ago

looks like progress.. It'll be sweet when it's done! Would be a good time to clean up the inside of the cabnet and repaint tho, wouldn't take much effort and would be done for the future.

#5 3 years ago

A few of the bad spots on the original:

DSCN3250.jpg

DSCN3252.jpg

DSCN3200.jpg

DSCN3199.jpg

DSCN3254.jpg

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

looks like progress.. It'll be sweet when it's done! Would be a good time to clean up the inside of the cabnet and repaint tho, wouldn't take much effort and would be done for the future.

Yes, thanks it will get cleaned thoroughly. Not sure about painting it. Afraid to open a can of worms. I should get rid of this sticker now. Ironically they're a few miles from the house.

DSCN3190.jpg

#7 3 years ago

Dave will probably be selling me this pin once he tires of it

At least I can hope!

#8 3 years ago

Ha! Who knows. At least this one I had for a long time and haven't tired of it "yet"!

Not much progress but did get all top side cleared off not counting the targets.

image.jpeg

1 week later
#9 3 years ago

Stripped the rest of the playfield down last night. Parts are tumbling and they were in really bad shape. Didn't realize how bad the right RPM at the rear orbit was lifted.

IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
Front of insert raised pretty good at the point
IMG_1155.jpg
New on the left

#10 3 years ago

Nice work!

Your original pf looks way better than the pf in mine lol.

#11 3 years ago

You could be right. It really is pretty rough despite the pics not showing as bad but it has played great despite the wear and lifted inserts all over.

#12 3 years ago

For those interested in the bottom side there's (6) 6/32 T nuts and (10) 8/32 T nuts on mine. Top side has (8) 8/32 T nuts.

Also the rubbers shown in the manual matched up to what I pulled off and put on over 4 years ago.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

#13 3 years ago

And the posts arrangements on new playfield. Be prepared to open these up to approximately 4.3 to 4.5 mm.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

#14 3 years ago

Thanks, I've got one of these playfields squirreled away for a project next year and the fine tuning details tips are definitely helpful.

#15 3 years ago

Glad they will help somebody. I know the many people that document theirs always helps me.

Just an FYI that I forgot to mention is that nothing dimpled other than post holes and wire guides. Not a huge deal but being babied by CPR, Mirco and even the IPB TAF, it takes some careful time. I picked up some transparent sketch paper from Michaels and did it in three sections.

Marked all holes on the sketch paper "template" and then transferred over to the new playfield. I made a few dimples and have been slowly fitting each by hand making sure dimples are ok. If ok, predill with appropriate drill bit. It sounds worse then it is, but certainly takes time: comparing to the original, measuring, mocking with a ball to make sure there's room, etc.

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg

image.jpeg

#16 3 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to document this dmacy. I too will benefit greatly from this info once I get started on mine.

1 week later
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgonzola:

Thanks for taking the time to document this dmacy. I too will benefit greatly from this info once I get started on mine.

No problem.

Getting close on the top side. Once I get the rails, I'll start putting the top together. Pop bumpers started and most metal parts are on. Note on the drilling for most of the guides: Keep your supercharger ramp handy while doing the guides in the back right. Three have mounting points needed for that ramp and they all need to be close.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

#18 3 years ago

Wrapped up about as much as I can top side. Rubbers on and anything needed pre drilled/fitted is done on the top.

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
image_6.jpeg

#19 3 years ago

Looks beautiful Dave can't wait to play it!!

2 weeks later
#20 3 years ago

dmacy, will you be putting the extra star post in below the left pop bumper?

I've just started tearing my playfield down and it also has the extra post in the exact same position and configuration as your original playfield. I'm curious as to what you and everyone else following this thread thinks of this. I think I read somewhere that not all machines have this post.

I haven't played a machine without it, however I suspect that the jackpot shot may be a little too easy without the post. Aesthetically, the post (when installed) does look like a bit of an afterthought though!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgonzola:

dmacy, will you be putting the extra star post in below the left pop bumper?

I am not planning to put it in. If it's bad (Too easy to make loops), I'll put one in but trying to avoid any more holes than already. Marking holes that aren't in the replacement playfield has been time consuming. I hope to have some more picture updates in the next few days.

#22 3 years ago

Dreamproject!!!

Looks awesome

HS2. One of the best games ever made. Everytime i have bad game on one of my pins, gettin that mehhh feeling, i end up turning my HS2 on. Crank up da volume to 9. Got extreme soundsystem in mine, blasts the room, gives me very satisfying gameplay, just turning on freeway and making those loops is soooo awesome.

One question, isint it hard to wait to completing the game?? I couldent wait to play my HS2.
Looking forwand to your pin is done. Hope you will make a video at the end. Would love to see the gameplay of this pin.

Pic of my HS2

image_(resized).jpeg

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

If it's bad (Too easy to make loops), I'll put one in but trying to avoid any more holes than already.

That's a fair point. I think I'll try the same with mine and see how it goes. It'd be relatively easy to add it later if needed. If anyone has any more info about the origins of this post location, I hope they chime in

#24 3 years ago

Where is it exactley, photo of it?

#25 3 years ago

DEN, if you look at the 3rd photo dmacy posted in this thread showing the pop bumper area, it's the clear star post with the 2 white rings (located to the right of the middle bumper).

#26 3 years ago

Allright. I got it on my game

Its not easy to make the loops. The red starpost with dubble rings stops the ball often.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#27 3 years ago

Looks like ball will smash into metal guide without the red starpost. Think its original. Iguess

#28 3 years ago

Here's a shot of how mine came to me with the post there (Circa 2011). I remember reading some time ago that post was added to make the loop shots more difficult. I redid one for a friend a few years back and it had a hole there but that post was removed.

IMG_0079_(resized).JPG

IMG_0014_(resized).JPG

#29 3 years ago

Been a while since I updated with some progress. Keep in mind that everything on the bottom side will need to be dimpled. All post holes are there but anything requiring screws will need to be dimpled/test fit. Tracing paper, mark with pencil, push through all holes and transfer over to the new marking with a scratch awl and mallet. Time consuming and still will require test fitting, but it went quickly.

DSCN3319_(resized).JPG

DSCN3322_(resized).JPG

DSCN3318_(resized).JPG

DSCN3320_(resized).JPG

DSCN3323_(resized).JPG

IMG_1185_(resized).JPG

#30 3 years ago

Top side has been slowly moving along. Taylor made the rails and they look fantastic as always. It appears the playfield holes for the rails (These are pre-drilled) were too far in so had to open the holes up so I was able to adjust them out. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning if you don't pay attention when cinching them down.

DSCN3325_(resized).JPG

DSCN3331_(resized).JPG

DSCN3329_(resized).JPG

#31 3 years ago

I've played games both ways in regards to that post. If the post is gone the loop shot is MUCH easier.

#32 3 years ago

Some top side progress. Ready for some wiring harnesses. Wife got a new Ultrasonic for Christmas so I'm tempted to use it for them. 6L Kendal should fit them. Swapped over Cliffy for shooter lane and saucer lane.

DSCN3332_(resized).JPG

DSCN3328_(resized).JPG

DSCN3329_(resized).JPG

DSCN3315_(resized).JPG

DSCN3314_(resized).JPG

DSCN3316_(resized).JPG

DSCN3311_(resized).JPG

DSCN3312_(resized).JPG

DSCN3327_(resized).JPG

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I've played games both ways in regards to that post. If the post is gone the loop shot is MUCH easier.

Thanks turbo.

#34 3 years ago

At this point, there's not much needed to order other than 3 targets, coil wrappers and time to finish it up. One flipper left to rebuild as seen in the pictures and cleaning wiring and light boards. New ramp flap for supercharger entry ramp was installed since I bought them years ago lol!

Does anyone know where to get the supercharger decal? Mine was reglued on by me years ago but still doesn't look great.

DSCN3324_(resized).JPG

#35 3 years ago

Ultrasonic has been working most of the afternoon. It's the best gift I ever got my wife! Can't believe I hadn't used one before. Works fast and saves a lot of time cleaning boards and harnesses by hand.

image_(resized).jpeg

#36 3 years ago

Dmacy, is this the decal your looking for? If so, pm me and I'll mail both off to you. I bought a few sets from a fellow pinsider a year ago or so. The top one is correct to scale but is slightly flawed (paper clip indentation). The bottom one is perfect but slightly smaller.

Nice job so far on your HS2 playfield swap!

Nick

SC_Decals_(resized).jpg

#37 3 years ago

Yes, thank you Nick! I'll be happy to pass the other sticker along to someone else that can use one.

#38 3 years ago

looking great so far.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Keep up the good work.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Yes, thank you Nick! I'll be happy to pass the other sticker along to someone else that can use one.

Glad I could be of assistance with your HS2 Dave. Thanks for sharing with another Pinsider after picking the sticker of your choice!
Should see the envelope by weeks end.

Enjoy,
Nick

#40 3 years ago

Did you mylar the jet bumper area?

Rob

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Did you mylar the jet bumper area?
Rob

Yes I did. I also put a piece under the back ramp flap as well.

#42 3 years ago

Hi, ive lurked along time on here, but only recently signed up! Anyway, I have bought a Getaway HS2 beginning of December!

This thread is great, I was wondering why mine had a hole on the playfield near the pop bumpers, and now you guys have cleared that up! I'm missing the clear star post!

Also, I really need to find where to get the Super charger stickers/decals as pictured above? Mine is faided and stuck back on with selotape!

Keep up the great work, this getaway is going to be stunning!

Cheers

Dunc

1 week later
#43 3 years ago

Thanks Dunc. I'm making slow progress depending on work and my current state of health/energy. I was delayed on some parts like new sling switches. Then realized I didn't have long enough rivets. I could use screws and nuts but despite the ball busting I get from some people, if you're going to do it, do it right. And realized I needed coil wrappers so that's been another item to wait for.

Thanks again to Nick. He sent the stickers and was extremely generous of him. I figure in the next few weeks I should have the machine ready and will install the SC decal last.

image_(resized).jpeg

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Yes I did. I also put a piece under the back ramp flap as well.

Here's where I've placed the Mylar at ramp and pops. Will do inlanes when I have the wire forms to install.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#45 3 years ago

Need to do some updates. I've been having difficulties with health but have been chipping away. Nearly there.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#46 3 years ago

Added Indy's traffic light mod. Will test it out soon but no doubt this will be a huge improvement over without and using it with the flexes he provided from Comet.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#47 3 years ago

Thanks for posting pics of my mod...

I really think you're going to like it.

#48 3 years ago

Traffic light mod really brightens up the colors especially using flex's to push them forward. Really looking forward to getting the game up and running to see the dramatic difference.

I have almost all coils mounted awaiting soldering. Need to add the bulbs/flashers back in and will be ready to test.
IMG_1629_(resized).JPG
IMG_1631_(resized).JPG
IMG_1628_(resized).JPG

#49 3 years ago

I agree,

My light blocking blades, combined w/ the colored flex LEDs look great.

#50 3 years ago

Nick, Just wanted to say thanks again. I put it on today. Really looks so much better and complements the rest of it being nice now.

Quoted from nvu4prod:

Dmacy, is this the decal your looking for? If so, pm me and I'll mail both off to you. I bought a few sets from a fellow pinsider a year ago or so. The top one is correct to scale but is slightly flawed (paper clip indentation). The bottom one is perfect but slightly smaller.
Nice job so far on your HS2 playfield swap!
Nick

SC_Decals_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 279.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 28.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
€ 3.70
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Falling Waters, WV
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside