(Topic ID: 51282)

HS2: Volume Issue (solved); Rear Ramp Problem--fixed, thanks!

By Billy16

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kehoe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm working on a Getaway I picked up over the weekend. Nice shape overall, but very neglected. Spent all afternoon re-sleeving coils, I'm sure that had not been done in many years.

The volume can't be turned down past 8. Any ideas of why I can't zero this out and/or turn the volume down any further?

Last issue (so far) is the rear ramp doesn't seem to know it is all the way up. The coil keeps firing (even though the ramp is already up) and the game will not allow the gear shift to plunge the ball until the ramp figures out is it up. Is there an interlock between the ramp and the plunger, maybe a short between the two, or should I look for a switch problem on the ramp?

Thanks for any help--I'm sure there will be more...

#2 10 years ago

Dig around in adjustments and set the minimum volume over ride lower, then you can lower the volume more.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The volume can't be turned down past 8. Any ideas of why I can't zero this out and/or turn the volume down any further?

There should be a "Min Vol Override" (or similar) option in the Adjustments menu. Switch it to Yes.

#4 10 years ago

Always check for switch problems first. In switch edge test, put the ramp in both up and down positions and verify the switches properly activate.

#5 10 years ago

A1.28 is your minimum volume override.

LTG : )

#6 10 years ago

Thank you all very much for the help, I'll get on it tomorrow!

Billy16

#7 10 years ago

I had the same ramp issue, just needs a lil switch adjusting.. I just had to add a little more bend to it

#8 10 years ago

One of the tiny screws that holds the switch on my ramp was very loose and the switch didn't register correctly every time. The solenoid would fire 3-5 times to move the ramp but it didn't affect game play much. It bugged me enough to go looking eventually, and was an easy fix.

Use the ramp test in diagnostics, which shows the switch status as the solenoids are fired in turn.

#9 10 years ago

Thank you all very much for the help, I'll tackle this this afternoon. The only drag is I'm missing a playfield skid, which makes raising the playfield a real chore...

#10 10 years ago

OK, I ran a check on the ramp switch--it seemed to check OK as I ran a "ramp check". Up and down, open and closed no problemo. Ramp still tried to fire "up" upon the start of the game. So I adjusted and adjusted and re-adjusted this ramp switch, things have only gotten worse. The ball used to plunge more often than not--as the ramp would finally quit firing "up". Now the plunger won't fire the ball at all. As soon as the first ball trips the switch underneath it (waiting to be plunged), the rear ramp tries to pop up continuously--even though it is up. If you skip the plunge and just roll a ball into the playfield to start, the ramp continually jumps up and down. Didn't used to do that. Do I replace or keep trying to adjust that switch--or where do I go from here? Sorry for the frustration, but this problem won't even allow me to play the game--bummer!

Thanks!

#11 10 years ago

Adjust the little catch on the small coil underneath, if the ramp doesnt catch it will just try to kepp going up repeatedly. I fixed this on a friends machine...

#12 10 years ago

Look underneath and move it by hand, you will see how it catches, then just adjust as needed...

One of the best tools you need is your eyes

#13 10 years ago

OK, I will look at that, thanks.

#14 10 years ago

I had a similar problem with my ramp. In tests it would work fine but in game it would constantly try to go up at the start of the game and the ball wouldn't plunge. For me the issue was solely with the ball not plunging. There was some broken solder preventing power to the plunger. When I fixed the solder and stopped having plunger issues the ramp worked perfectly.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from kehoe:

I had a similar problem with my ramp. In tests it would work fine but in game it would constantly try to go up at the start of the game and the ball wouldn't plunge. For me the issue was solely with the ball not plunging. There was some broken solder preventing power to the plunger. When I fixed the solder and stopped having plunger issues the ramp worked perfectly.

Thanks for this, I think I will run this down as it seems like you have just described my main problem exactly. I think I just made things worse by adjusting the switch, I'll put it back to where it was and start over. Can you show (via a photo) or tell me where your problem was so I can check the same area?

Thanks!

Billy

#16 10 years ago

My problem was with the solder on the plunger solenoid. I tested the plunger in the menu and it wasn't firing properly. When I looked at it the wires were poorly solder on. I cleared out the old solder, recut the wires, and reattached. I tested the plunger solenoid through the test menus and it worked flawlessly. I started a game and the ramp had no issues.

I would suggest checking the plunger solenoid in the test mode. Is it firing at all? Is it firing half the time? I had issues there and once resolved the ramp worked.

#17 10 years ago

I will do that, this seems to be the exact thing I am dealing with.

#18 10 years ago

kehoe, you were right on the money. I had to solder one side of the coil twice before I finally fixed it--I believe the lug itself is almost shot but I was able to solder it back together. Thanks for helping me get my game up and running!

B16

#19 10 years ago

You're very welcome. It's nice to help out around here. I know many have helped me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-volume-issue-and-rear-ramp-problem-need-some-help?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.