(Topic ID: 75096)

HS2: Getaway - questions about operation...

By Geocab

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Doozie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20131229_121509.jpg
20131229_120451.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi guys, just added a Getaway to my collection and had a couple of questions. Should you be able to hit the lock from a trap on the right flipper? I can't make that shot, even when I hit it cleanly, it's not powerful enough to go up the ramp.

Also, once in the supercharger, should it make it all of the way around over and over again until the diverter opens? Mine goes around a few times, then hits the plastic covering the U-turn to the left of the supercharger which deadens the ball. Is there a way to adjust so this doesn't happen? Or is it normal to not always complete the loops?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

You should be able to make the lock from the right flipper when its trapped. You might need to check your flippers...if your coil sleeve is fouled it can slow the shot down. As for the supercharger, it should go around completely. Not sure how to adjust the diverter, but I am sure there are lots of people on here that can help you with that issue.

#3 10 years ago

the u-turn to the left of the supercharger? Not understanding your description.

On the left should be the ramp and diverter.. then it feeds through the magnets, around a tight right turn, and then out on the loop back towards the ramp.

The diverter is often broken/loose.. which will cause more ball movement/rattle which can lead to slow supercharger loops.. but it should run smoothly around the rest of the loop. Check your diverter and look at the rivets at the top of it, they could be stretched/broken/hacked. Many hacks don't fit in the recess, leaving a rivet or screw head on the face of the diverter.. and if the ball hits that, it will rattle and slow down.

On a well setup game, you should be able to hit the lock with a good shot. Poor shots often won't make it. Check your flipper for worn linkages, coil, etc.

#4 10 years ago

The diverter opens with high voltage and stays open with the low voltage to the coil. If it only goes around a few times and then exits, check to make sure the low voltage is getting to the coil.

#5 10 years ago

Here is a slow motion video I just took off what is happening. The first time it goes around a few times, but the second time it only goes around a couple.

On another note, I love that my phone has this feature.

#6 10 years ago

Seems like the plastic is hit from the ball getting some sort of hop off the ramp. See if you could shim the plastic with a small washer underneath the screw to try.

#7 10 years ago

I wonder why the ball is getting air time? Just took much velocity? Anyone else have this happening?

With the weak right flippers (They both seem weak compared to the left), are the EOS switches just as important as older style flippers? I have them adjusted so they close just before the flipper is full swing.

I have a Rottendog driver board if that makes any difference. The guy gave me the original board that I'll probably either repair or have repaired. He was having a reset problem. Is there any negative to using Rottendog in this particular machine?

#8 10 years ago

EOS switches are not as important on a Fliptronics machine, which is what you have. Rottendog boards are fantastic and they provide excellent customer service. I installed one a WCS 94 pin and have had no problems.

Getting back to Getaway, I also recently acquired this game, and really enjoying the fast pace of this machine. Anyway, have you rebuilt any of the flippers. This is what I had to do to mine, and it made a huge difference. Also, check to see that the right coils are being used in the game, and replace the sleeves also.

#9 10 years ago

The Rottendog board is fine.

I wonder if you have an unnecessary washer under the front (the loop support that faces you) support which is lifting the front of the loop, which is in turn pointing the part of the loop which ends and feedes off onto the intrance ramp causing the ball to hit too early on the entrance ramp which is giving it a hop. It looks to be only an issue as the ball reaches higher speeds which would make sense.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from knobstone:

EOS switches are not as important on a Fliptronics machine, which is what you have. Rottendog boards are fantastic and they provide excellent customer service. I installed one a WCS 94 pin and have had no problems.
Getting back to Getaway, I also recently acquired this game, and really enjoying the fast pace of this machine. Anyway, have you rebuilt any of the flippers. This is what I had to do to mine, and it made a huge difference. Also, check to see that the right coils are being used in the game, and replace the sleeves also.

I will check this out for sure. I just played it for the first time yesterday since bringing it home Thursday night. I'll have to order the parts yet. Might as well get a whole order together and get the sockets I need for my Firepower. And some new pinballs.

Quoted from pinstyle:

The Rottendog board is fine.
I wonder if you have an unnecessary washer under the front (the loop support that faces you) support which is lifting the front of the loop, which is in turn pointing the part of the loop which ends and feedes off onto the intrance ramp causing the ball to hit too early on the entrance ramp which is giving it a hop. It looks to be only an issue as the ball reaches higher speeds which would make sense.

I'll check this out, thanks for the suggestion. Also, the balls that came with the game are sort of beat up, I wonder if smoother ones would help. Less traction?

#11 10 years ago

Uh, less traction = faster speeds, not slower.

Either put a washer under the plastic and jack it up, or see if you can change the height of that part of the assembly...as stated, look for extra unnecessary washers on that side.

#12 10 years ago

Actually I added washers to the front brace to lower the aim and it's working pretty good right now. The part of the ramp where the brace is welded on is bumpy so maybe the ball is bouncing on that. Maybe I should buy a new ramp.

Now I have other issues. Game was resetting. I reseated connectors and the resetting stopped but now the Burn Rubber kickout isn't kicking out. Ugh! I need to order connectors! The right flipper coil want being squeezed tightly so I fixed that, maybe that's where I was losing power.

I just want to play, damn it.

#13 10 years ago

One last issue to fix that I know of now. The second switch in the lock tube is holding the balls from rolling so I don't get all 3 balls on the field for multiball. Then I have to tilt to free it. I don't see what the ball is hung up on though. The switch seems fine. At least I'm finally close to playing.

#14 10 years ago

I'm still back at your supercharger ramp issue, isn't your left side of the ramp bent to the right slightly. Here's mine.image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Doozie:

I'm still back at your supercharger ramp issue, isn't your left side of the ramp bent to the right slightly. Here's mine.

image.jpg 237 KB

You're right. This may be some of the problem. My left side broke apart at the weld which is why it moves at the end there. So either I buy a new ramp piece, or find out which one of my friends has a little welder. Tig welder? Good catch!

Fixed the ball getting stuck on the switch issue. The arm wasn't closing all of the way because the bundle of wires for the switches was in the way. But I did notice that there is a metal piece missing that hides the switches and wires, at least according to the photo at IPDB. I'll have to make a list of parts I need and get to ordering. My playfield slides and hinges are busted. I have a hellavu time opening the playfield properly.

New weird thing happening. When "Lock is Lit" and the ramp is down, if I shoot the right loop, the ball hits the ramp, there is a pause, and then the ramp pops open. The switches show up in Switch test mode. Any idea as to why there is a delay? Software version L-5.

#16 10 years ago

Is it a delay or the ball coming back and hitting the switch again. Make sure that switch is making a good contact.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Doozie:

Is it a delay or the ball coming back and hitting the switch again. Make sure that switch is making a good contact.

I worked on this again today, rolling the ball through the loop over and over in Switch Edges and sometimes the ball would miss the first switch and the second wouldn't register. A little adjusting of the arms and now there is no delay on the ramp.

It took lots of loops to realize that hand rolling gave me perfect shots against the ball guide and that's why the switches always registered so I made less perfect rolls and saw that the ball would pass the first switch and not make contact on the second.

#18 10 years ago

Another fix.

20131229_120451.jpg20131229_120451.jpg

20131229_121509.jpg20131229_121509.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Is your thumb suppose to look like that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 72.50
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-questions-about-operation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.