You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hs2.jpg
hs2wiring.jpg
HS2_Flasher_install_002.JPG
#1 10 years ago

So I got the game in test mode and testing the MARS lamp (beacon). The beacon does not spin and the light does not come on. I used the DMM on the power connector that goes to the motor and the light and got nothing with power. So any ideas what needs to be checked and/or replaced to get the beacon working again? Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like the beacon motor is cooked. I got one fairly cheaply for my Getaway, when I owned one, and it wasn't terribly expensive either. Only problem is that I can't remember where I bought it from... I'm sure it was from one of the usual online sources though.

#3 10 years ago

But the light should go on right? If the motor is not working it would only not spin. I get no beacon spin and no light. And no power from the connector that connects to beacon and light.

#4 10 years ago

But the light should go on right? If the motor is not working it would only not spin. I get no beacon spin and no light. And no power from the connector that connects to beacon and light.

You're Not getting 12V from The Beacon Supply Board ? , Check All the Fuses on the PDB and Reseat yr connectors on the 2 for the Beacon ..,, you might have a Bad Board
( 1 of the 2 )

I have my Blue Led Police Flasher Kit connected to the Beacon Power ,, 12V .. I've never had a HS2 w/ Bad Beacon boards .. They handle Alot ..

HS2_Flasher_install_002.JPGHS2_Flasher_install_002.JPG

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

If a Beacon motor is Fried , Yr Light Should still work .. Both get Power from the Same Plug ,, Get yr Meter out and Check for 12V

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

If a Beacon motor is Fried , Yr Light will still work .. Both get Power from the Same Plug ,, Get yr Meter out and Check for 12V

My bad. I must have glanced over your original post and missed the part about the light not working either.

Listen to B_R though. He's the man.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

My bad. I must have glanced over your original post and missed the part about the light not working either.
Listen to B_R though. He's the man.

HS2 is my Baby bro ,, Well BSD is # 1

#8 10 years ago

Hey, I got the same problem, but I haven't checked it out yet. I just wanted to post this, so I can find it easier when I get a chance to look at to see what ya did. Thx and Good Luck!

#9 10 years ago

I checked all connections and also all fuses are good. How would I test either of the boards that are used for the beacon to see if either of them are bad?

#10 10 years ago

UnPlug the 2 wire connector at the Beacon motor , Put the Pin in Test , Beacon Test -- use a Multi-meter and see if you have Power coming from the Plug to Start ..

#11 10 years ago

I did that and do not have power. Used multi meter and put probes in 2 connector and no voltage. I should be getting 12v right? Nonetheless i am getting no volts.

#12 10 years ago

Been lOOk-n at Metallica video's .. Ok , ,, Dam .. The 2 small boards that feed Power to the Beacon ,, See if yr getting any Power from Any of the connection's ( molex's ) probe in there .. If Not ,, Trace down the wires from the 2nd board and see where they go to the Power driver board ..

an Example:
On my JackBot , the coil that is used to drop the ramp was DOA because 2 diodes were blown on the PDB ,, plus the coil was fried .. All is Fixed now ..

#13 10 years ago

My beacon light don't work. I did the VOM meter and no power. I traced the wires to the board while looking at the schematics in the manual. Someone moved the wires to different locations. I thinking of sending the board out to get repaired. Does anyone here recommend a good board repair place? or should I buy a Rottendog?

#14 10 years ago

So I installed a new triac board with a led light that shows if power is going to it. So the led is not on so there is no power going to triac board hence non working beacon. Any ideas what to check? All fuses are good and the driver board is a brand new rotten dog board. The triac plugs in to j105 on the driver board. Any ideas why no power to triac board?

#15 10 years ago

So I installed a new triac board with a led light that shows if power is going to it. So the led indicator light is not on so there is no power going to triac board hence non working beacon. Any ideas what to check? All fuses are good and the driver board is a brand new rotten dog board. The triac plugs in to j105 on the driver board. This seems to simple not to work! Any ideas why no power to triac board?

#16 10 years ago

I have kind of the opposite problem, have 16V all the way through with multi-meter, even at the plug for the beacon, but neither the beacon or light work, checked the bulb, seems to be fine, not blown, checked the resistance at the beacon plug, there is some so connections are being made in either the motor or light, puzzled......

#17 10 years ago

The beacon motor / Mars lamp is solenoid # 27. If you run the solenoid test you should hear the motor click or try to turn when energized.

Correct bulb for the mars light is # 1156 / 12V

Test values on the triac board - Not sure if the door interlock needs to be closed to energize.......

J1-1 = 24 VDC
J1-4 = GROUND

J2-1= 48 VAC
J2-5= 48 VAC

J3-1=48 VAC
J3-4=48 VAC

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

So I installed a new triac board with a led light that shows if power is going to it. So the led indicator light is not on so there is no power going to triac board hence non working beacon. Any ideas what to check? All fuses are good and the driver board is a brand new rotten dog board. The triac plugs in to j105 on the driver board. This seems to simple not to work! Any ideas why no power to triac board?

It could be that the Triac board isn't getting any juice because of poor connections on the connector from the driver board. IDC connectors get quite flakey over time and aren't completely reliable.

Put your beacon in test mode and gently wiggle the wires on the connector that plugs into the Triac from the driver board. You may very well see the thing light up when you make a good connection.

#19 10 years ago

And if it IS a case of a bad connection, I would replace that IDC connector with a Molex connector and Trifurcon pins.

#20 10 years ago

From www.ipdb.org:

If checking for voltage to "Mars Lamp" Red rotating light, the manual states 48VAC but the correct voltage is 20VAC.

#21 10 years ago

Right from the manual.....

Follow the voltage coming in, passing thru the Triac board to the smaller board with the cement resistors to the beacon and light.

hs2wiring.jpghs2wiring.jpg hs2.jpghs2.jpg

#22 10 years ago

16.4 volts coming out of J104 all the way to the plug at the beacon motor and light.

#23 10 years ago

If just the 1156 lamp is blown wouldn't the motor still spin? Found something like this problem on RGP but no answer

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

If just the 1156 lamp is blown wouldn't the motor still spin? Found something like this problem on RGP but no answer

Yep.

#25 10 years ago

Replaced the 1156 bulb. Still no go.

#26 10 years ago

ok, just going to run through it all, LED 5 is good, 20vdc on, 17v measured at J104, 17v measured all the way to the plug of the MARS lamp, problem is that it always measures this, even when not being tested, its like the voltage is always there, checked F111, good, checked R224, measure 7 ohms, (says 12 on it), don't know what else to look for

#27 10 years ago

Just for kicks, try tapping the motor while it should be running in test mode. My old motor was kinda touchy. I ended up replacing it but it would work with some taps with a screwdriver or similar.

#28 10 years ago

I have smacked it a few times thinking the bulb housing might have been touching and grounding it all out. Took the motor and bulb housing out and verified no accidental touching.

#29 10 years ago

Transistor Q22 ( TIP 102) controls the beacon.

Take an alligator test clip and touch the metal tab on Q22 to ground ( ground braid in cabinet) and see if the motor clicks or tries to turn. I cant remember if it matters on this but I would close the door interlock switch while testing. Its for the high power solenoids but I am not sure if it applies for the beacon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-beacon-and-light-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.