Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140313_214850_resized.jpg
20140313_215012_resized.jpg
20140313_214901_resized.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Howdy fellas,

So, I connected a Polk Audio PSW external subwoofer to HS2. Link to the sub is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

Now, here's the kicker. The factory cabinet sub carries a solid amount of treble AND bass. So... when I connected this external sub to HS2, I lost nearly all treble or high end noises. I had to max the volume on HS2 just to hear the sound effects such as the sirens, voices, and other high pitch, treble-rich noises.

I entered the sound-testing menu, and when doing sound tests, the treble was decently loud (because there was no bass present for any of the sound tests).

Is it that the external sub is simply overwhelming the 22 year old factory backbox speakers? Does this just call for an upgrade on the factory speakers, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Seeing as how HS2 is a FlipTronics MPU, can you order aftermarket speaker systems for it?? I am new to the idea of upgrading the sound system, but I would think you could order a setup from PinballPro or Flipper Fidelity.

Any thoughts, guys?

#3 10 years ago

How are you interfacing the external sub to your system. Are you using a line out converter or direct connect?

#4 10 years ago

The problem is in the hs2 hardware. It has a single audio amp and in that it has three speakers wired in series as one speaker. I'm not sure how well adding an external sub will work in this configuration. It could probably be done if you splice the cables from the audio speaker out at the sound board and Y it off there.

#5 10 years ago

We can probably make u a one off direct feed from the sound board. I would customize one of my current headphone plug in boards to give you a 3.5 mm connection to go right to the sub. Let me see what I can do.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

We can probably make u a one off direct feed from the sound board. I would customize one of my current headphone plug in boards to give you a 3.5 mm connection to go right to the sub. Let me see what I can do.

You might want to sell these anyway. A person could hook up a $15 2020 amp and bypass a broken sound board

#7 10 years ago

We just designed board for stern Sam board direct audio feed for a powered subwoofer hook up that will be for sale in a few weeks. it will come with every stern headphone kit I sell and we will sell just the subwoofer connection separate if desired

#8 10 years ago

When I connected my Getaway to a Polk sub, I was quite underwhelmed by the result, given how much I love The Getaway, ZZ Top, and bass.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

When I connected my Getaway to a Polk sub, I was quite underwhelmed by the result, given how much I love The Getaway, ZZ Top, and bass.

I say the same thing about lord of the rings... Stern really stepped up the quality if their audio files when they went to the Sam board system. Bass in iron man is amazing.

#10 10 years ago

My LOTR is noticeably amped since I put it and the SG next to it on a Polk sub, but if your board enhances it more, count me in!

Though SM and BK2K are probably my favorite two with more bass. Gorgar actually hits really hard too.

#11 10 years ago

I had the regular PinballPro speaker system in mine and it is totally worth it. The big woofer upgrade is probably overkill but I highly recommend aftermarket speakers. I put the stock speakers back in when I sold it and LaGrange sounded tinny and weak.

#12 10 years ago

Flipper fidelity will work, have one in my bsd, which I assume is wpc89.

#13 10 years ago

Which kits are you guys using? I ask because I don't think I saw any aftermarket systems that were designated for FlipTronic systems.

Quoted from Allibaster:

How are you interfacing the external sub to your system. Are you using a line out converter or direct connect?

I am unhooking the old sub and running the wire directly to the inputs of the new sub.

Quoted from lllvjr:

Cool, please keep me updated on this. I unhooked the Polk for now as it was simply overwhelming the factory speakers and reconnected the stock sub. Man, the engine revs with the Polk were fricking amazing.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Which kits are you guys using? I ask because I don't think I saw any aftermarket systems that were designated for FlipTronic systems.

I am unhooking the old sub and running the wire directly to the inputs of the new sub.

Cool, please keep me updated on this. I unhooked the Polk for now as it was simply overwhelming the factory speakers and reconnected the stock sub. Man, the engine revs with the Polk were fricking amazing.

I hooked it up a couple months ago on my Getaway and didn't notice the issues you were having. And in fact, I thought it sounded good. Especially the engine revs. I used the alligator clip method to connect directly onto the leads of the cabinet speaker. It sounds like you disconnected the cab speaker? I hadn't done that on any games I added the sub to. Alligators every time.

#15 10 years ago

Has anyone hooked up two pins at the same time? If so, how does it sound?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

It's probably ok. You use left channel for one and right for other.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

We've hook three pins to one sub

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's probably ok. You use left channel for one and right for other.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. But if two different signals are going to the single sub speaker, will the speaker recoil be able to reset itself for the next beat, or will it sound like a muffled fart?

#19 10 years ago

This is no different than having two separate channels for input

#20 10 years ago

"Has anyone hooked up two pins at the same time? If so, how does it sound?"

I have HSII And Dr Who sharing the same sub, with great response.(Polk PSW110) If you aren't getting the response you are looking for from one of the machines, reverse the connections at the factory woofer. I used alligator clips at the factory speaker. Only change one thing at a time, test it well between each change.

#21 10 years ago

I had the same issue at first with my Getaway. Here's how I made my cabinet shake.

1. Disconnected the original sub
2. Hooked sub speaker wires to line-in on the External sub (In my case i cut the sub in half and mounted the sub speaker in place of the old sub) then mounted the amp in the cabinet. At this point you will have very little sound.
3. Hooked the original sub speaker backup using the line out from the external amp. OK maybe alligator clips is easier.

Sorry about the pictures, not the best.
3 pics - sub-woofer, amp with speaker wire in and out (look close you can see original speaker in back of cab) and sub sound controls

I love it.
Waldo

20140313_214850_resized.jpg20140313_214850_resized.jpg
20140313_214901_resized.jpg20140313_214901_resized.jpg
20140313_215012_resized.jpg20140313_215012_resized.jpg

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

I had the same issue at first with my Getaway. Here's how I made my cabinet shake.
1. Disconnected the original sub
2. Hooked sub speaker wires to line-in on the External sub (In my case i cut the sub in half and mounted the sub speaker in place of the old sub) then mounted the amp in the cabinet. At this point you will have very little sound.
3. Hooked the original sub speaker backup using the line out from the external amp.
Sorry about the pictures, not the best.
3 pics - sub-woofer, amp with speaker wire in and out (look close you can see original speaker in back of cab) and sub sound controls
I love it.
Waldo

20140313_214901_resized.jpg 118 KB

20140313_215012_resized.jpg 116 KB

20140313_214850_resized.jpg 205 KB

Wow. That is creative!! So you left the old sub in the back of the cabinet so you'd have the trebles/noises of the old sub still present, and those noises were being made louder through the amp you introduced?? Wow!

What kind of amp did you use if you don't mind me asking.

And for the amp setup, did you splice the factory wiring to the "input" on the amp...and then run that aftermarket speaker wire from the "output" on your external amp to your old sub? Just trying to understand all the details. I admire it very much!

#24 10 years ago

That is a very good write up! Silly question - where is the factory amp in HS2 or any B/W WPC game???? Or wjem you say "amp" you mean the audio card in the backbox? Figured I'd ask as I'm about to go to work and won't be home all day.

#25 10 years ago

2x post my bad

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

That's what I'm thinking of doing. But if two different signals are going to the single sub speaker, will the speaker recoil be able to reset itself for the next beat, or will it sound like a muffled fart?

We're testing two and three games at one time on one sub. Might make a adapter if it works good

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

We just designed board for stern Sam board direct audio feed for a powered subwoofer hook up that will be for sale in a few weeks. it will come with every stern headphone kit I sell and we will sell just the subwoofer connection separate if desired

I'm in for at least 5 of these. I find tapping into the existing sub with alligator clips to be okay and want a more direct method, which I feel will make things quite a bit better.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

But if two different signals are going to the single sub speaker, will the speaker recoil be able to reset itself for the next beat, or will it sound like a muffled fart?

If only one pin is making sound at a time, it won't be any different than if you had a dedicated sub for each pin.

If both pins are playing sound at the same time, the maximum loudness for a given level of distortion will be lower for each pin. In other words if one pin could have a max loudness of xdB, the max loudness of each pin playing at the same time would be less (I'm guessing about x-3dB, no worse than x-6dB). However since I wouldn't expect the subwoofers to be operating anywhere near their maximum level (you wouldn't be able to hear the sound from the backbox), this shouldn't be a concern in reality.

Summary: there will be no sound quality difference between two pins sharing a sub and one dedicated sub for each machine.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

If only one pin is making sound at a time, it won't be any different than if you had a dedicated sub for each pin.
If both pins are playing sound at the same time, the maximum loudness for a given level of distortion will be lower for each pin. In other words if one pin could have a max loudness of xdB, the max loudness of each pin playing at the same time would be less (I'm guessing about x-3dB, no worse than x-6dB). However since I wouldn't expect the subwoofers to be operating anywhere near their maximum level (you wouldn't be able to hear the sound from the backbox), this shouldn't be a concern in reality.
Summary: there will be no sound quality difference between two pins sharing a sub and one dedicated sub for each machine.

Correct!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Thanks for your input, i will hook up my hs &hs2 to the polk this sunday. Alligater clip method. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I hooked it up a couple months ago on my Getaway and didn't notice the issues you were having. And in fact, I thought it sounded good. Especially the engine revs. I used the alligator clip method to connect directly onto the leads of the cabinet speaker. It sounds like you disconnected the cab speaker? I hadn't done that on any games I added the sub to. Alligators every time.

And YOU win the prize for "The simple solution is right in front of you....!!!"

I totally forgot the Polk has inputs AND outputs....Just hooked up wire leads from the output of the subwoofer to the male spade terminals of the cabinet speaker and BOOM - works perfectly!!!!

Man, the engine revs when you "shift gear" are phenomenal.

Such a simple solution - thank you very much!!!

If anyone wants pictures or a video of what I did, it is SO easy. If I can do it, everyone has hope...

The key as Markmon said, is knowing that the setup is ...well... less than nominal. Hooking up the backbox speakers in parallel AND THEN hooking the cabinet speaker (note: speaker... NOT subwoofer) in series is ....well.... >___< ....

#32 10 years ago

Why not solder the wires directly instead of using alligator clips for a more reliable connection?

#33 10 years ago

Hooked it up and WOW! HS2 has a deep rumble to hit that vibrates the floor. HS is good too, but nothing like HS2. The wife hates it, so I know its great! lol

Quoted from wayout440:

Why not solder the wires directly instead of using alligator clips for a more reliable connection?

If I decide to sell it the pin and I'm pretty sure I would want to keep the sub, it would be a easy disconnect.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

If I decide to sell it the pin and I'm pretty sure I would want to keep the sub, it would be a easy disconnect.

I can clip the wires faster than you can squeeze the alligator clips
Enjoy~!

#35 10 years ago

I don't get all the fuss...there is a volume control and a bass filter control. I have 5 subwoofers on various newer pins and all sound much better than without.. Turn the volume up on your pin where the mids and highs sound good , then adjust the ext sub volume until its balanced correctly and sounds right. I have subs on DE , JJp , Williams and stern as well as sega . No issues , all hooked up the same way. Run lead wires off the existing cab woofer and into the sub ,,,easy stuff.....and replace all of those old 20 year old speakers with 4 ohm car speakers. The backbox speakers with 4 inch or 5 1/4 2 way speakers , and the woofer with a 8 inch subwoofer 4 ohm....good luck and let the good times roll

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-and-an-external-subwoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.