(Topic ID: 191593)

HRA/pinballplating.com (Chris) buys Pinball Plating and More (Ron)

By sc93cobra

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bflagg
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

From Chris (sc93cobra):
    Over the past year, as many of you know, Ron and I have both had separate plating businesses. This has presented some challenges for both of us, being new to a business that our friend, Mike Chestnut, had offered to the hobby for years before that. In his untimely passing, we both moved forward to pursue keeping this alive. In the beginning Ron and I very much were doing our own things. As time has gone on we’ve seen through our differences to be able to lend one another a hand, and have developed a friendship that I am grateful for. I know that’s probably a shocker for some, but yes, you can compete in business and be friends.

In more recent days, Ron and I have gotten to endure some of the challenges of this business at the same times, and it’s been good to be able to talk about it. This business is not for the faint of heart. It’s hard work, very time consuming, there are many aspects we cannot control due to working with platers, and sometimes we have to deal with people that are not patient. Sometimes it’s been too long of a wait, and we know it, but still we are waiting, too.

Did I mention it’s very time consuming? That being said, Ron reached out to me this past week and offered for me to purchase his business. I will gladly let him explain more about that if he wants to, but I know that the biggest reason is he would like more time with his family, and I think we can all respect that. He and I came to an agreement, and officially yesterday, I, Chris Royalty, owner of Hot Rod Arcade/pinballplating.com, purchased Pinball Plating and More from Ron Woodard.

This being said, Ron will continue to finish orders that started with him, and I will gladly help him to do that however I can. Furthermore, I will gladly help any of Ron’s customers however I can in the future as well. I do also expect Ron to hang with us some at shows in the future. He knows the biz, and I could always use an extra hand, so you may see us both working the booth in the future. We also will now be offering parts that Ron had available that we did not, mainly exchange parts and the plastic services on things like the TOTAN lamp, IJ Idol, BoP helmet, etc. This will all soon be found at pinballplating.com.

This was all very much a surprise to me and I’m humbled by Ron asking if I would like to do this. I want to also publicly express how I appreciate how it has all been handled. If you don’t really know Ron, you are missing out. Way back when, I misjudged him shortly after loosing Mike. It was a very emotional time, but I’m thankful for grace and to have actually gotten to know him as time has gone on. To that all I can say is God is good and thank you to Ron.

Please let me know how I can help you with work you need done or parts you need to order. I would say the next few weeks will be a tad bit crazy, so bare with me as we get everything sorted out. Thank you to everyone for your support. It is felt and very much appreciated. I know our biz is very different than many others and takes longer than expected, etc, at times. But we strive to get folks what they are wanting in the end. Thank you. It means more than you know, as these businesses have helped to support our families, and will continue to help mine.

------------------------

From Ron (Woody76):
    Well guys, it was a great run for me, but now time for Chris to finish this thing out. I am worn out and my family misses me greatly. I am a little sad to be walking away, but my family has to come first. This plating business has grown into something so much larger than I ever imagined and is still growing. I have built a strong customer base all over the world. I was in desperate need of hiring help/or letting my wife quit her job to help, but the profits had not reached a safe point yet in my opinion and with 2 plating businesses in the hobby I was not sure if it would ever get to that point. I already run another business, so I was splitting my time between two successful businesses totaling around 70-80 hours per week. I was averaging just a few hours sleep per night and the week leading up to a show/expo I did not sleep at all. Bottom line, I am exhausted! I am still going to be around the hobby as a collector and will be attending several shows throughout the year. Doing this almost ruined the hobby for me, so time to get back to enjoying pinball. I am very thankful for the friendships I have developed over the last year and half. I have got to know Chris very well. The last few months especially since we have been working together more and more. The deal Chris and I worked was fair to me and my family and will help him grow the plating business for years to come. He acquired all my parts and inventory. He is going to have a arsenal of quick exchange parts now that should really benefit the hobby allowing for faster turn around times. I now consider Chris a good friend of mine and I have confidence he will carry this business into the future with great success. I might even help Chris out at some shows to help keep in touch with friends and old customers. I am working with Chris daily to help with transition and order flow until I completely step away. As of Wednesday June 14th, I took my last orders. Anything pending up to that point is mine and will be handled by me. I just want to assure everyone who trusted me with your parts that I will see these orders through and will be contacting you all shortly. Our plan is to have all my open orders completed in the next 3 weeks.

I have some folks I want to personally thank for their support and help in marketing Ron Woodard and Pinball Plating and More over the last year. I would appreciate everyone continuing to help support these companies in anyway possible.

Larry Kitchens with FlipNOut Pinball. If you need a new in box game or Escalera please get with Larry. He will take great care of you and is one of the best people I know.
    Greg with Pinball Pro. Best speakers in the hobby.
    Jose with Tilt Graphics. I can't say enough about the quality of this guys character. He has supported and helped me from day one. Thanks Jose.
    Bryan Kelly. Sent many, many customers my way and I am very thankful.
    Chris Hutchins/HEP. Was a great help with some marketing and sent much business my way.
    The Mezel Mod team. Thank you so much for all your help.
    Middle TN pinball guys, Travis, Kenny, JD, and Bobby. You guys helped in so many ways. I am forever grateful.

I want to thank all my customers for the great support and friendships. You guys are awesome! If any of you are ever in Nashville look me up.

This deal is going to be good for Chris and his family. I only wish him success and future prosperity. Please continue to support Chris and the pinball plating business.

---------------------------------------
    Thanks everyone for your support!
    Chris and Ron

#2 6 years ago

Best wishes to both of you.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Best wishes to both of you.
    LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd.

#4 6 years ago

Glad it worked out for everyone.

Woody, I know it sucked running a booth while the rest of us played pinball at shows. We will be glad to have you back playing.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Glad it worked out for everyone.
    Woody, I know it sucked running a booth while the rest of us played pinball at shows. We will be glad to have you back playing.

It did suck. It really just about ruined the hobby for me even though it was successful. I hung with family and played pinball all day today and it felt great. I even added a few mods and parts to some and it felt like old times. I probably have not played more than 2 hours of pinball in a year. It will be nice to get back to just being a collector. I am coming for those high scores now. LOL. The CV still has your high scores on it. Not sure I can reach those.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

It did suck. It really just about ruined the hobby for me even though it was successful. I hung with family and played pinball all day today and it felt great. I even added a few mods and parts to some and it felt like old times. I probably have not played more than 2 hours of pinball in a year. It will be nice to get back to just being a collector. I am coming for those high scores now. LOL. The CV still has your high scores on it. Not sure I can reach those.

Just have Travis help you check the batteries

#7 6 years ago

This guy has the best original AFM ever. Super nice guy as well. Hope to see you at Pinburgh Chris!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This guy has the best original AFM ever. Super nice guy as well. Hope to see you at Pinburgh Chris!

That was Mike's AFM, he sold it to me a few years ago, it's never leaving

#9 6 years ago

Sounds like a good deal for both parties - congrats all around.

I've had Chris do some black nickel and Speedway Black powder coat jobs for me, and the entire process was super-smooth and the results were terrific. Looking forward to sending him another box of junk soon.

#10 6 years ago

Wishing the both of you all the best in your business dealings. Stand up gents in a tough industry.You both shine......see what I did there.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

That was Mike's AFM, he sold it to me a few years ago, it's never leaving

Yea I know, Beau slam tilted me out a 60+ bil GC in Nashville

#12 6 years ago

We will miss you! Super great getting to know you!

Greg M
    pinballpro.com

#13 6 years ago

Ron,

Thanks for your help with my Shadow it turned out beautifully. I wish you and Chris the best in the future.

-Hougie

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Sounds like a good deal for both parties - congrats all around.
    I've had Chris do some black nickel and Speedway Black powder coat jobs for me, and the entire process was super-smooth and the results were terrific. Looking forward to sending him another box of junk soon.

That's very kind of you, thanks, my friend! Send on the junk! lol

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Wishing the both of you all the best in your business dealings. Stand up gents in a tough industry.You both shine......see what I did there.

Thank you, my friend, as always, you are very kind. Love having folks like you to enjoy this hobby with!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Yea I know, Beau slam tilted me out a 60+ bil GC in Nashville

I always forget your username, LOL, yeah that was Bud. Best game of your life, ruined. No total annihilation for you!

#17 6 years ago

Great read, thanks for the explanation and details. Also congrats to both businesses. How often do you hear about something that works out for everyone?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from sc93cobra:

It’s hard work, very time consuming, there are many aspects we cannot control due to working with platers, and sometimes we have to deal with people that are not patient.

I'll never understand why pinheads are so impatient. Patience is a virtue, but unfortunately some people can't figure that out. The Star Wars thread is full of impatience. Guys pretty much demanding gameplay footage from Stern.

Congrats to both businesses.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I wish you nothing but the best, Ron. It's been great getting to know you!! You may have picked a good time to step aside as I've got a corroded POS Mousin Around that has a shit ton of parts that need plating.

Chris, if you don't mind, I'll be getting in touch with you in the coming weeks.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I wish you nothing but the best, Ron. It's been great getting to know you!! You may have picked a good time to step aside as I've got a corroded POS Mousin Around that has a shit ton of parts that need plating.
    Chris, if you don't mind, I'll be getting in touch with you in the coming weeks.

Thanks Bryan, you have been a pleasure to work with. Now I get to hang out on the other side of the table with you and have some fun.

Ron

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

Ron,
    Thanks for your help with my Shadow it turned out beautifully. I wish you and Chris the best in the future.
    -Hougie

Thanks Hougie

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

We will miss you! Super great getting to know you!
    Greg M
    pinballpro.com

We will keep in touch. We can hang at Expo.

Ron

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Very nice.

#24 6 years ago

WOW...We are very lucky to have both of these guys in our hobby!
    Ron is just a damn nice guy. I have spoken with him several times over the past couple years and our friendship grew over time and I am grateful for that. His knowledge base is amazing and he has sold me many parts to.
    Chris, OMG, just a pleasure to work with, what a stand up honest guy running an amazing business. Continuing Mike's legacy we are all very lucky.
    Rarely in pinball do we get a merger like this.
    Congratulations to both!

#25 6 years ago

Ron, I had the pleasure of meeting you at Allentown. You truly looked worn out! Thank you for what you did for the hobby. Your products are top notch, and I can't wait to finally get the brass in my IJ! Enjoy the R&R and maybe I'll see you at another show where we can play a game.

#26 6 years ago

Best of luck to you guys. I've always had outstanding experiences with you both. The silver lining is I no longer need to feel guilty when I go with one of you over the other because you're both so great to deal with.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Would be honored to help you. Hit me up anytime!
    Chris
    [email protected]
    615-598-0024

#28 6 years ago

Sorry to see woody leave. I can say this.... I met Ron at the Allentown show and picked up some awesome shooter rods. After the show, I accidentally sent Chris an email asking to buy a chrome one. I didn't realize there were two guys doing this. Guess what he does. He writes back the nicest note explaining that Chris is the guy I met. He goes on to say that Chris does great work. I was so shocked that a direct competitor could be so gracious about "the other guy."
    So, All the best to Ron, I'm sure he did what's best for him, and best of luck to Chris. Two stand up guys.

#29 6 years ago

Congrats to both Chris and Ron. Just recently spent time with Chris at SFGE in Atlanta. He's an absolute sweetheart. Really happy for him and his family but also glad to see two businesses handle the merger with such class. Chris, looking forward to seeing you this year at Grand 'Ol Gameroom Expo, hopefully sooner.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tazmancat:

Congrats to both Chris and Ron. Just recently spent time with Chris at SFGE in Atlanta. He's an absolute sweetheart. Really happy for him and his family but also glad to see two businesses handle the merger with such class. Chris, looking forward to seeing you this year at Grand 'Ol Gameroom Expo, hopefully sooner.

Always great to see you guys! Been thinking about talking to Stern about making a "later" Aerosmith edition just for you...

#31 6 years ago

Thanks Ron for your great service

Can not express how friendly and accommodating he was to deal with.

All the best with your future endeavours

#32 6 years ago

Thanks for the service both of you guys have done. I have products from both and they both look great. best luck to you in the future Ron.

#33 6 years ago

Congrats to both of you! I'm glad that it all worked out.

It's good that you'll have more time for pinball Ron. The less JDG initials that in are this world the better.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Congrats to both of you! I'm glad that it all worked out.
    It's good that you'll have more time for pinball Ron. The less JDG initials that in are this world the better.

Sounds like you need to be removing some of the batteries from several of your games then Kenny.

#35 6 years ago

These guys are amazing!
    Woody did a quick favor for me last week when all this was happening, he didnt have to, could have had me wait and go to Chris in couple weeks. But no, Ron wanted to tie up loose ends.
    Chris has been working overtime to pull this off and start transfer of bussiness. Yet hes still filling old orders and taking calls. Infact , Chris was up super late last night and tried calling me at 10pm his time. I couldnt take call ...
    Chris , call you in an hour, getting kid off to last day of school.
    Lets just say it again, what a pleasure to know both of them!
    Ron, have a beer tonight and get some pinball in. Im going try tonight.

#36 6 years ago

Sad to see you go man. Ron recently helped get my BSD looking sweet as ever with some red pc'ing, and the turn around time was way fast considering we had to ship the stuff back and forth. The local outfit I used to use took twice as long. Very cool to meet you at Pinfest and hang for a while...thinking back, you did look worn out. Hard to tell when I was myself...shows with a business as a vendor typically are not as much fun, but luckily our booths were right across the way from each other so we had quite a few chances to chat. Hopefully you got the Bally shooter rod and plate that I sent back recently to replenish your stock after I bought your chromed ones from the show. Have a resto thread going now on my Bally Vampire, and that's where those parts are going.

I've spoken with Mike a few times on here, and he's always been helpful and nothing short of ultra-pleasant. I've seen a ton of your work, and it is stellar. I have a box of parts from Vamp that I'll need chromed, so I'll definitely be getting in touch with you. I'm doing a full resto, so it's a lot...even the little parts from the back of the coin door.

As others said, congrats to both of you guys...you're great peeps and true assets to the hobby. The way in which you both conducted yourselves being competitors has been truly amazing, and commendable. Mike would be proud of the way you both continued to carry the torch.

Ron, hope to see you at a show again man, or let me know if you're ever in the Philly area.

#37 6 years ago

Woody and I are both floored at all the kind words. Thank you so much to everyone. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the thread much last few days. We had a bunch of parts come in from plating and powder and I'm trying to get everyone's orders settled up that I can. Still a bunch outstanding but that's the nature of this thing. Just wanted to say thank you to all of you. It's pretty awesome to read these responses.
    Hope all is well with everyone, let me know if you guys need anything!
    Chris
    [email protected]
    615-598-0024
    www.pinballplating.com

2 months later
    #38 6 years ago

Might have been answered before but:

When plating coil brackets, what happen with the plunger stop? Does it get plated as well? Does it impact the room inside the sleeve of the length of travel of the plunger? Or the plating is not thick enough to do any difference.

#39 6 years ago

The place you bought out had early Bally steel side rails raw or chrome plated. Are you selling these now?
    Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hrapinballplatingcom-chris-buys-pinball-plating-and-more-ron?hl=beyndtstng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.