(Topic ID: 148347)

HP Scanjet 4600 / 4670 cable pin-out anybody?

By dkeruza

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73679F44-E71A-4623-87FA-E2ED8E49DA45 (resized).png
    4670-3_(resized).jpg
    4670-1_(resized).jpg
    4670-2_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi,
    I purchased an HP Scanjet 4670 on ebay for a reasonable price, but it arrived without the Combination cable. That cable seems like is impossible to find online.
    I was wondering if anybody with that scanner is willing to post a pin-out here for me. I rather make my own cable than return the scanner.
    It is getting harder to find them and the one I got is in excellent shape.

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

nobody?

#3 8 years ago

So you have the power supply cable thing?

#4 8 years ago

I got everything except the cable that connects to the scanner cable, power supply and USB. I think is called combination cable.

This: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Combination-USB-data-cable-and-DC_1768919075/showimage.html

#5 8 years ago

it makes me upset when i see companies like HP using custom crap like combo USB / dc power cable.

The theory is going to be simple.... you will probably need an original cable to cut apart or look at how it is wired up on the scanjet.

USB is going to have four connections. +5v, GND, Data +, Data -. The combo cable probably is for +12v as well???? What kind of wall wart power does it use.

#6 8 years ago

I know, I can build a cable myself. Its just that I need the pinout.
    I don't mind cutting the original cable coming from the scanner and solder my own plug to it.
    The power supply is 12v. So, 4 wires for USB and 2 for Power. That is the amount of pins in the wire coming out of the scanner.

#7 8 years ago

You might want to see if the 12v ground return is isolated from the 5v ground return. Otherwise, sounds like you should be able to figure it out as long as you can figure out how to mate to the scanner input connector.

#8 8 years ago

I took it apart already and the cable goes to a connector in the scanner motherboard that is not easy to see where the power goes.
    I'll wait a little to see if somebody is able to post the pin-out (would take like 10-20 minutes to do) before I go any further.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

it makes me upset when i see companies like HP using custom crap like combo USB / dc power cable.

And you want Carly Fiorina as your president?

#10 8 years ago

Do I need to take the cable apart for pin-out?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from rygar:

Do I need to take the cable apart for pin-out?

I imagine you would just have to use a multimeter and find continuity between the plugs.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks. I was careful because there were no volunteers within 24 hours from the original post. I ll take the pics, mark them and write down continuity between related pins.

#13 8 years ago

Here is the pin-out. Please excuse my drawing "skills" .

A1-A2-A7-B1-C1
    A8-B2
    A3-C2
    A4-C4
    A5-C3
    A6-C5

4670-1_(resized).jpg4670-1_(resized).jpg
    4670-2_(resized).jpg4670-2_(resized).jpg
    4670-3_(resized).jpg4670-3_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago

For what it's worth I think it's HP part.... Q3110-60009

I doubt you'll find a pinout diagram anywhere. I worked for HP as an engineer for a while and only ever saw a handful of pinout drawings.... They want to sell you a new cable not help you fix one.

#15 8 years ago

I just tried fitting a PS/2 keyboard connector into the connector on the cable, and it fit. So it's just a regular female Mini-DIN plug. Shouldn't be that hard to source the right parts and create a custom cable

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from rygar:

A1-A2-A7-B1-C1
    A8-B2
    A3-C2
    A4-C4
    A5-C3
    A6-C5
    4670-1_(resized).jpg
    4670-2_(resized).jpg
    4670-3_(resized).jpg

Beautiful!!!! Thank you so much.
    I'll report back after I build the cable.

#17 8 years ago

This is funny. After I complaint to the seller he made all excuses even saying that the cable got stolen at the post office (Really?), he agreed that the cable was missing and instead of me sending him the scanner back, he purchased another HP-4600 on ebay and sent it to me. He assured that this scanner came with the cable as it was shown on the listing picture and also said that I could keep the scanner he sent before.
    3 days later I received the new scanner from the seller he bought it from and guess what? NO FREAKING CABLE.
    I contacted the guy right away, he doubted me again and said he would contact the seller. Seller claimed she forgot to ship the cable in the box and that she would ship it Priority on the following day.

After that I decided to try the pinout with the first scanner I received. Took it appart and was actually very easy. The cables are color coded so it was imposible to mess up. What I did here is remove the original cable that comes out of the scanner and replace it with the cable from an Xbox 360 Kinect which uses the same principle, 12v Power Supply to the device and USB and the color of the wires actually matched.
    I soldered everything, triple check before power it up and nothing.......Scanner was dead.....Thats my luck.

I undone everything, and took the 2nd scanner appart, soldered the Kinect wire, turn it on and works perfectly.
    So first scanner not only had the cable missing, was also dead.
    But at least I have one out of the two working now.
    Cable arrived today, didn't test it as I already replaced the original cable from the scanner with the kinect cable. I also tested the first scanner again with the cable I received and still dead.

Thanks again for the pinout!!!

#18 8 years ago

Thanks for posting the resolution. The cables are unobtanium (at a reasonable price) and it's good to hear that the pinout provided worked for you.

#19 8 years ago

The good thing about using the kinect cable is that is way longer than the cable provided by HP.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And you want Carly Fiorina as your president?

I don't think she exactly designed this cable nor printer.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from rygar:

A1-A2-A7-B1-C1
    A8-B2
    A3-C2
    A4-C4
    A5-C3
    A6-C5
    4670-1_(resized).jpg
    4670-2_(resized).jpg
    4670-3_(resized).jpg

Your drawings are great. Reminds me of Doc Brown in BTTF saying, excuse the crudeness of these models. LOL.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pins4me:

I don't think she exactly designed this cable nor printer.

It was just a joke about her damage to HP

#23 8 years ago

Keep the other printer for parts. Win-win!

4 years later
    #24 4 years ago

Thanks alot! This literally saved me hours of my life! Got a NOS scanjet from Ebay and it was as well missing all cables/adaptors.
    I just cut the cable and connected the 4 wires from an USB cable to the same colors as the scanner cable, hooked up 12V and it ran!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

The good thing about using the kinect cable is that is way longer than the cable provided by HP.

Hello. I just bought a scanjet with no cables and was wondering if these xbox cables were what you used? And just so I understand, the scanjet cord you cut the end off and solder the correct four wires to the female usb end. Is that correct? dkeruza

Thanks Ryan
    73679F44-E71A-4623-87FA-E2ED8E49DA45 (resized).png73679F44-E71A-4623-87FA-E2ED8E49DA45 (resized).png

3 years later
    #26 8 months ago

I hate to bump these Zombie threads that have been dead for a bit- but had to give a huge thanks to rygar for that pinout, and the others in this thread.

Just snagged a 4600 for like $18 on eBay, and was able to make the hybrid USB/12V cable with the information provided here and got the scanner online!

#27 8 months ago
    Quoted from DigitalJedi084:

I hate to bump these Zombie threads that have been dead for a bit- but had to give a huge thanks to rygar for that pinout, and the others in this thread.
    Just snagged a 4600 for like $18 on eBay, and was able to make the hybrid USB/12V cable with the information provided here and got the scanner online!

There are so many older informative threads that should be added to not started new. This thread is a good example you shouldn’t apologize.

Imagine if people thought Vid is a Zombie!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hp-scanjet-4600-4670-cable-pin-out-anybody and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.