Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by HHaase
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I was able to buy a HP 4670 Scanjet for scanning my playfield. I have a spare Windows XP machine, and I loaded the HP Photo and Imaging software, and it seem to work really well. Its actually pretty cool - can't explain why, but it fascinates me.

It brings the scans in as .jpg files, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't give me any choices on the setting for the scan.

I then copy them to a USB stick and move them to my Windows 10 machine where I can use Photoshop and clean them up for waterslides, etc.

Before I go further, let me explain what I would like to do as an end result - my XP machine is a laptop. I would like to have an optimal setup that I could take on the road, and offer to help local pinsiders scan their playfields with that machine. So if someone needs a scan, they would not have to buy a Scanner or set it up.

Is there a "better" way of bringing in those scans into XP? Let me mention up front that I do not have Photoshop on that machine.

Also, for my own use, is there a better way to use it directly on my Windows 10 machine? I think that someone said that vista drivers would work, but I wasn't sure how that applied to the HP Photo and Imaging software on Windows 10 - or if it was using the twain drivers in Photoshop (I have very limited understanding on this.

One last note - I did not apply any of the driver updates on my XP machine - so far I haven't seen any reason to do it.Seems to work well as is.

Doug

#2 8 years ago

I use a laptop as well.

However, from what I understand about using it on windows 10, you have to use the native Windows scanning application--HP software or scanning directly into photoshop probably won't work.

#3 8 years ago

.jpg is crappy, so try to find a setting for bringing in .tif or .bmp

Vista drivers work fine in Win10.

Don't bother installing any HP software, just the drivers.

Use Photoshop to do the scanning:

File>Import>WIA

#4 8 years ago

I will try the Vista drivers on Windows 10 and import direct to Photoshop.

Still looking for suggestions on what to do on my XP laptop - again, the idea being that I can use it as a portable unit to help others in my area...and I don't have Photoshop on that machine.

Sounds like Tif is the way to go - actually I was surprised at the .bmp suggestion, I guess I need to research that one some more - but need a way to do that in XP...

Spent some time on Photoshop today trying to clean up some scans and checking that a printout was sized correctly. It had been a while, but my memory is coming back

Doug

#5 8 years ago

I think you can have two copies of Photoshop installed per license as long as both not running at the same time.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/940590?start=0&tstart=0

#6 8 years ago

Doug,
    From your first post you say you don't see setting choices and saving as a jpeg. I have the same machine and after loading the software on XP I can set the save dpi at 200 to 1200+ and a tiff etc.

I apologize if I have misunderstood.

#7 8 years ago

Steve, I will dig into that later today - I looked around when I installed and didn't see those choices. If they are there, then that is great! I will report back! I did install the Windows Vista driver on my W10 machine. It gave me a warning, something like" Do you want to run this in compatibility mode, and I said NO. It works just fine in Photoshop. I scanned at 2400, and ended up with a 1.6 gb file as a tif - I think I will dial it down But there is certainly not any jagged edges at that setting - there were at 300...
    I will also check on moving Photoshop over to the XP machine. Not sure I have the disks anymore, its been on this machine for a long time. It started as as an XP machine also.

Thanks everyone!.
    Doug

6 months later
    #8 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Vista drivers work fine in Win10.

I had my doubts but couldn't pass one of these up on ebay and sure enough vista drivers worked for Win8 straight in. Scan's are a little dark but seem to hold up in the detail when corrected. Not bad for a 10yr old chunk of plastic and parts and I only paid about 20 bucks and it came with the slide scanner.

I"ll probably mod an old slide carrier, so I can insert an entire strip of 35mm and scan some of my old negs before they are lost for good. It might scan without but guessing the frame of the slide will keep the frame square.

Now to scan my spare jokerz playfield and get ready for retheme!

#9 7 years ago

Something to check for: Does it have an elongated lenses as the pickup unit?

Accuracy (size wise) along that axis will not be as good as along the direction of travel.

#10 7 years ago

Is there still a market for these? Don't use mine anymore.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

you have a better way to scan playfields and backglasses and side art? Seriously, if there is a better way I'm all for it.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

I could probably get better resolution with my DSLR, but the fact you can scan 1/1 and bring the scanner to the object, so think there's some value. I grabbed mine because it was a deal. I already have a template for the art, but wanted to scan all of the mounting points in case I want to cut a new playfeild on the CNC, hoping it will save some time, at least 30bucks worth of time (price plus shipping)

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Something to check for: Does it have an elongated lenses as the pickup unit?

Accuracy (size wise) along that axis will not be as good as along the direction of travel.

Thanks, I'll have to check, I have a grid cutting mat, guessing I can quick-scan that and it should show.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

I use mine a couple times a month for various projects. Scanning large areas at 1 scale is fairly useful--playfields, cabinets, plastics, large fold-out schematics, etc. I also just picked up a wand scanner for small areas so I can take scans from other playfields without having to do a complete tear-down.

#15 7 years ago

I just don't find myself doing much scanning anymore of that nature. What's the going rate on these units, I'd be willing to part with mine. Haven't used it in about a year and a half or more.

-Hans

#16 7 years ago

I paid 20 bucks and 15 shipping, seller paid 20 bucks shipping so barely made 5 bucks.

I'm finding mine's about worth that 5 bucks. I'll still be able to use it to scan my playfield to get mounting points 1 but noticed that in anything over 150DPI i get grey bars in the scan and the slide scanner is a bust, doesn't seem to work but haven't spent any time with it.

I'm not sure if I'll chase any more money on this one, but its a shame, I have about 1000 slides and realized that it would be nice to pull those down without having to leave them in the hands of walgreens and a mailer.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

large fold-out schematics

Good point, I'll have to do that for mine, the copies i can get online aren't great but have a clean copy I can scan and upload.

#18 7 years ago

Sounds about what I was seeing a couple years ago when I stopped using mine. Probably just drag it to MGC again and put it on my clearance table.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hp-4670-whats-the-best-way-to-bring-in-the-scans and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.