(Topic ID: 203265)

HP 4670 see thru scanner: Need software. Help.

By cottonm4

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imgres-2 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I just bought one of these obsolete HP 4670 see thru scanners to do some play field scans. I took a chance that I could deal with the software issues.

imgres-2 (resized).jpgimgres-2 (resized).jpg

I'm not having much luck, so far.

1) On my XP PC, the software from the HP disk is not working correctly.

2) I'm trying this third party Vuescan software but it keeps locking the PC up which forces me to shutdown and restart.

3) I have a 2006 Mac Pro that will not accept the HP Mac disk, at all.

4) I still have a couple of my old 2001-2003 G4 Macs in the attic that I may dig out and see if I can go all the way retro and get the scanner to work that way.

Can anyone offer some advise on how to get this 4670 to working?

Does anyone have the Mac drivers for this scanner that you can share?

HP.com still has a couple of downloads for XP and Vista. But there is nothing there for the Mac.

I realize companies have to make a living and would like for us to throw all of the expensive items away and buy new every year but that ain't happening around me; I like to stretch my dollar.

Suggestions? Anybody?

TIA

#2 6 years ago

It works fine out of box on my windows 7 computer, no software needed.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

It works fine out of box on my windows 7 computer, no software needed.

Let me see if I understand. You just plugged a 4670 see thru on a Win 7 machine and did not have to install any software? At all?

#4 6 years ago

Not 100% the same but similar to Sacaj, plugged into a windows xp laptop and automatically identified it as a scanner and used windows scanning ultility to make my scans. Nothing else.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Let me see if I understand. You just plugged a 4670 see thru on a Win 7 machine and did not have to install any software? At all?

Yep, same as @langless says. Plugged it in, windows recognized it as a scanner, used the built in windows scanning app

#6 6 years ago

typically you don't need drivers, especially on XP... but even installing the drivers it should recognize it as a device. What software are you actually using to scan? I usually use photoshop.

Btw, although photomerging will sort of get you a complete scan, from my experience things will still be off (which is not good for something that needs to be so precise). Seriously, inserts being off as much as 1/16" will mess up your layout. If your intention is to cleanup playfield art to do overlays, you are not going to be happy with the results unless you're doing small sections. It's hard enough getting a perfect full overlay to lineup without the art also being off. Using this method for scanning cabinets and backglasses sure, playfields not so much.

#7 6 years ago

It is starting to look like the 4670 scanner I bought may be defective and causing me problems. I know more after the holidays.

#8 6 years ago

Does it light up? It should light up.

I also use mine sans software, just the built-in Windows scan utility.

#9 6 years ago

It light up. I managed to get one scan using the Vuescan software.

Now, either the scanner bar moves down to scan and gets locked at the bottom which requires me to unplug the unit and the bar will return to home position.

Or when it scans a document all I get is a black screen.

I get the black screen with both Windows software and the Vuescan software.

I should add that the light inside the scan bar does light up.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Btw, although photomerging will sort of get you a complete scan, from my experience things will still be off (which is not good for something that needs to be so precise). Seriously, inserts being off as much as 1/16" will mess up your layout.

I usually leave 2-3 inches of overlap between scans. Additionally, when you're merging, make sure to only use the reposition option. Using any of the other options (auto, collage, perspective, etc) will warp or distort the images. That may be necessary for photos where the perspectives between different photos don't line up exactly, but is not necessary for flat scans.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

It light up. I managed to get one scan using the Vuescan software.
    Now, either the scanner bar moves down to scan and gets locked at the bottom which requires me to unplug the unit and the bar will return to home position.
    Or when it scans a document all I get is a black screen.
    I get the black screen with both Windows software and the Vuescan software.
    I should add that the light inside the scan bar does light up.

Silly question, but are you placing the document on the correct side of the scanner?

Are you going into "printers and faxes" or "My Computer" (I forget exactly where scanners are listed in XP), right clicking on the scanner, and clicking scan?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Silly question, but are you placing the document on the correct side of the scanner?
    Are you going into "printers and faxes" or "My Computer" (I forget exactly where scanners are listed in XP), right clicking on the scanner, and clicking scan?

It is a fair question, and yes, I have the document placed correctly. It is My Computer > Control Panel > Printers and Scanners (something like that) > click on scanner icon and hit scan.

1 month later
    #13 6 years ago

FWIW, I just got my HP 4670. I am running it on Windows 10. I had to download the Windows Vista 64 bit driver from HP before it would work. But once I did that, everything worked perfectly.

#14 6 years ago

Oh shit. I forgot about this post

THe scanner I bought was bad from the seller. He gave me back all of my money including shipping. And then I bought another see-thru scanner. It works.

But since it will not work with Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7 I dug one my old G-4 Macs from the attic and installed the disk software to that old Mac. I knew there was as good reason to not get rid of that old G-4. I just don't like playing these computer makers planned obsolescence games. Especially when HP still keeps the Windows software available for the PeeCee but buries the Mac software somewhere where it will never be found.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hp-4670-see-thru-scanner-need-software-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.