(Topic ID: 256222)

HOWTO: Easy Setup for WMS system 3 games (no dips!)

By slochar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hottip options (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Anyone that's dealt with the williams system 3 games (Contact, Disco Fever, Hot Tip, Lucky 7, World Cup) and one system 4 (Phoenix) knows what a pain it is to set options for the game - the cumbersome approach of setting each option with a dip switch and entering it in.

There's an alternate way to do it if you have the means to burn a new gamerom - the default options for the game are all laid out in the first section of the gamerom. Using the hex editor built into your eprom burner software, you can edit each of the options there, burn the gamerom, and force a reload of the default options (usually by pulling the batteries... nvram would have to use the memory clear of one of pincoder test roms).

While the game would fail the built in checksum test if you hit the test button, it won't affect the operation of the game at all. (Williams games only perform a checksum test when you hit the test button, on regular bootup they do not.)

For example, here is a hexdump of Hottip's options:
0000 74 24 01 24 03 30 03 30 01 28 03 22 01 10 >09 14
0010 20 ff 20 00 02 03 00 00 00 01 01 01 00 02 01 03
0020 03 00 15 00 00< 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

And the options page from the manual is below - read down the default column you can see the default options start at offset $E (marked at > on the hexdump). You can edit the values to whatever options you want, burn the rom, and not have to worry about using the dips to set them. The end of the settable options is denoted by the <, which is the default HSTD.

If you want the checksum to match, you could set the hstd to another value since you'll probably beat it right away anyway. For instance, if you want to set the game to max credits 25, you'd change offset 0012 from $20 to $25, then reduce offset 0022 from $15 to $10 - this way the checksum test would still pass. Or if you set the default # of balls to 5, offset 001F would change from 03 to 05, reduce offset 0022 from $15 to $13. This balancing out of the values is strictly only necessary if you want the checksum to pass. There's not a lot of math going up or down a couple values, but if you go from one decade to another you'd have to enter it as hex - that's not really allowed, so you would try and use the other digits of the hstd instead.

Just a variant on how to set these, might be helpful is you have a board with bad dips or if you're burning a new rom anyway. I'd like to have been in on the planning meeting where they thought using the dips in this fashion was a good idea.

hottip options (resized).pnghottip options (resized).png
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What's the deal with this? Is the checksum location unknown or is calculating it not understood?

It's the first byte in the rom if people want to calculate it manually. Really just an offset up or down, but I wanted a gentle start to this type of thing. Getting someone to hex edit a file if they've never done it previously ends up being scary stuff.... people just refuse to do it. Add in the difference between BCD and HEX and they're just going to say "i'll do it the old way, with the dips".

1 week later
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Interesting. I didn't know that those games couldn't set the options using the switches on the coin door. What a nightmare!

No kidding. Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall of the meeting where they decided this.

Sound like a new pincoder rom opportunity - pop the rom in and set the white rom options, pop your rom out, put system rom back in, boom, options set. At least until the white system rom 2 passes beta test that already does this.

#8 4 years ago

I've never looked to see if the white cmos info and the green cmos info are in the same locations and the same format. It's very possible it is; the deal with the beta rom is that it needs to go in some actual games to be tested. Pinmame is fine for testing but sometimes (always, really) the software needs to get into an actual mpu board and game to be tested. Unfortunately for me, my lone sys3 game is in a very inaccessible corner of my basement, at least it's set up, but every single project machine surrounds it. (I used to only have 1 machine more than I have room for.... now I have 5 or 6 I think.....)

Technically, the sys3 machine (phoenix) is also a project, although I should be able to get it going relatively easily once I can get to it. The driverboard might be the only issue.

#10 4 years ago

With the short run stint into Yellow roms, which really are basically the green roms with slight differences.

The Green is definitely miles ahead both from capability standpoint and ease of creating a game for. Still not as good as system 7 Blue.

A fun exercise is to rewrite games into the 'next' system up - white into green, green into blue. Phoenix and Firepower have been done so far, with only Firepower making it into machines. I *REALLY* need to get to my phoenix somehow!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/howto-easy-setup-for-wms-system-3-games-no-dips?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.