Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jonesjb
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fester (resized).jpg
    euro (resized).jpg
    Bed (resized).jpg
    007D3D0F-CD1A-40FC-B95A-9986AD0F8B29 (resized).jpeg
    35ED438E-1CF2-43F0-8B2D-586268F46615 (resized).jpeg
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I don’t know if it’s all the pin moving or what but my back is shot. The $800 matress from Matress Firm I bought this summer is making it worse I think. I have a “Nectar” memory foam matress coming this week. I hope that’s better but I can return if not.

Anyone in love with what they have?

#2 5 years ago

Sleep Number X-12. air conditioned, heated, adjustable firmness, can raise the head and feet, and of course several different full body massage features. Voice activation is pretty nifty too.

#3 5 years ago

We have the top of the line Sleep Number bed my wife loves it, me not so much. I loved my semi-waveless waterbed i had back in the day.

#4 5 years ago

We’ve got a really nice tempur pedic mattress and I’d definitely recommend it. Only way to see what you’d like is to try them out. Some stores let you take it home and try them out for a period of time.

#5 5 years ago

Tuft and Needle. They just sold out to Serta but in the short term you can get a $700 king mattress. It’s the firmest of the bed-in-a-box companies. I really enjoy it.

#6 5 years ago

We've had the purple 3 for a little over a month now. I have bad back issues and it's ok for me. My back still hurts occasionally. My wife on the other hand doesn't like it and makes her back hurt more. So we have to send it back and start the search all over again.

#7 5 years ago

Serta Perfect Day is a solid mattress.

My sister and brother in law have a Duxiana, but that thing is in Stern LE territory.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideMike:

Sleep Number X-12. air conditioned, heated, adjustable firmness, can raise the head and feet, and of course several different full body massage features. Voice activation is pretty nifty too.

Shit, probably cost more then my car.

#9 5 years ago

I’d consider seeing a chiropractor, if you have pinched nerve or a disc out of alignment, no mattress will fix that. Get 2 or 3 good old fashion adjustments, that new mattress will be a bonus after you get whatever is causing the pain fixed.

#10 5 years ago

Bought a Beauty Rest Black and love it. Pricey, but for a much as you use it invest in quality. If you have a bad back, the air and foam mattresses are not going to provide enough support for you. Having a really good boxspring (or platform if that is your thing) is key.

#11 5 years ago

I sold beds for 25 years.

Unfortunately, there is no “answer” for you. You need to get into a store and try them out for a while. Don’t be afraid to ask the salesman to leave you to lie on a bed for 20 minutes if you want to.

Pro tip - the most expensive one is not necessarily the best for YOU. However the store makes a lot more money out of you, so they’ll try and sell you that one.

Personally I like the Pocket Spring beds as they have no pressure points. I used to sell (and still own) Simmons Beautyrest pocket spring beds with latex toppers. Not the most expensive bed, just middle of the range. Mine are 10 years old now, still going strong but probably due for replacement.

A lot of people (including me) find that memory type foams get hot. I avoid these, I hate to be hot in a bed. Natural latex doesn’t heat up like that.

Takeaway - try them out in store and see how you go.

rd

#12 5 years ago

We have the Sleep Number bed. We've had it for 8 years now. We love it. You never have to worry about buying a mattress that is too firm or too soft, or make a compromise if your spouse likes a different firmness than you, since you can dial it in to your personal liking on your side, and your spouse on their side.

Quoted from arcademojo:

Shit, probably cost more then my car.

Most people spend more time in their bed than their car.

#13 5 years ago

The memory foam beds are hot and my back hurts in them. I wake up in sweats from memory foam not breathing well. The sleep number I have had for 13 years has given me a lot of decent nights sleep despite back problems and it breaths as well as any type of bed.

#14 5 years ago

Aireloom ... I have them in all my rooms...cant go wrong

#15 5 years ago

Loom & Leaf (FIRM in Cal King) is what we have.
    Good support, cool enough in the summer and it doesn’t come shrink wrapped in a tube.
    Made here in the USA with mostly natural materials and very little offgassing when new.
    We’ve had it since June of 16’.

Has a 120 night trial to boot with free removal/disposal of old mattress.
    Can’t go wrong with that.
    007D3D0F-CD1A-40FC-B95A-9986AD0F8B29 (resized).jpeg007D3D0F-CD1A-40FC-B95A-9986AD0F8B29 (resized).jpeg35ED438E-1CF2-43F0-8B2D-586268F46615 (resized).jpeg35ED438E-1CF2-43F0-8B2D-586268F46615 (resized).jpeg

Quoted from DCFAN:

The memory foam beds are hot and my back hurts in them. I wake up in sweats from memory foam not breathing well.

The old ones did for sure.
    Most of the new memory foam mattresses have better temp control nowadays. Either gel or reverse eggshell pockets to help dissipate heat more efficiently.
    Having a breathable cover on it and using the newer cooling tech sheets are way better than the older 100% cotton sets. Even bamboo is a good choice nowadays if you want something comfy.

#16 5 years ago

Wish my sleep number bed almost 10 years old had cooling. I ditched a mid model serta after finding my best sleep was on a 17$ bean bag on hard floor surface. As a skilled trades guy i spend my day bending,Twisting etc all day long in/out to or on to the weirdest places to fix things and moving a fair amount of weight.
    I have it set at 35 to 45 really soft. Sounds like the worst possible thing for my back and body sleeping in what looks to be a crater on a planet surface. But not seeing the chiropractor 1 hour 4 times a week is good for me and my wallet. (It was cutting in to my pinball funding) My one heads up warning to all is sleep number has had controller issues. The number display seems to stop working in the first few years mine is working enough i can figure out the missing segments but don't know if they solved this issue on newer models.

#17 5 years ago

I agree, a good quality mattress is essential, not just for rest but the health of your back. I've been reading and hearing a lot of positive comments about Sleep Number beds, my brother in law swears that it solved his old back problem. I have a 1200 Dollar natural latex mattress. it's pretty good but I'm waiting for it to break down so I can get one a Sleep Number set.

#18 5 years ago

I just have something that's cheap and firm. I couldn't even tell you what the brand was.

However--I don't have one of those foam pillows that you sink a mile into. Whenever I stay at a hotel, I can't stand those things.

I have a firm down feather pillow, and I think that makes the most difference for me. I think it helps keep my neck in line with my back, and I can't say I've ever had any issues with what I'm using.

Otherwise, I can pretty much fall sleep anywhere. Chairs, floors, couches, cars...etc. Although, I'll have to admit that I find camping in a tent a little rough without a layer of padding.

I'm kind of amazed at all the mattress options available these days, though.

#19 5 years ago

Wife and I both love our Purple.

RIght amount of firmness, does not pillow, sleeps nutral (not hot), and a great thing is no motion transfer (so we each sleep better)

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

RIght amount of firmness, does not pillow, sleeps nutral (not hot), and a great thing is no motion transfer (so we each sleep better)

Which Purple do you own, the original or the all new. If the latter which thickness did you buy?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Which Purple do you own, the original or the all new. If the latter which thickness did you buy?

original

#22 5 years ago

Not mattress related and not trying to hijack the thread but wanted to share something that may help some people out. I have serious back and neck issues, my spine is wrecked from getting hit by a car on a motorcycle. I could not find a pillow that i liked at all, kept having neck aches, headaches, and wasn’t getting any sleep at all. I was literally miserable, grumpy as hell, bitching people out constantly because i felt so bad, my life was hell no lie. I got a My Pillow Premium and it has changed my life. It hasnt cured my spine problems obviously but i get a good nights sleep now and my neck aches and headaches are gone, at least the ones that were pillow related and it has been a blessing. I know that no pillow works for everyone but if you are having problems do yourself a favor and try yourself a My Pillow Premium. These things are not a gimmick, they really are nice.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not mattress related and not trying to hijack the thread but wanted to share something that may help some people out. I have serious back and neck issues, my spine is wrecked from getting hit by a car on a motorcycle. I could not find a pillow that i liked at all, kept having neck aches, headaches, and wasn’t getting any sleep at all. I was literally miserable, grumpy as hell, bitching people out constantly because i felt so bad, my life was hell no lie. I got a My Pillow Premium and it has changed my life. It hasnt cured my spine problems obviously but i get a good nights sleep now and my neck aches and headaches are gone, at least the ones that were pillow related and it has been a blessing. I know that no pillow works for everyone but if you are having problems do yourself a favor and try yourself a My Pillow Premium. These things are not a gimmick, they really are nice.

We have MY PILLOW's "full fill "also and like them very much.

#24 5 years ago

I have a Ghostbed. Its comfy and supportive.

#25 5 years ago

Beauty Rest Black and it’s perfect.

#26 5 years ago

Sterns and foster pillow top with the adjustable head/feet/massage. I love it. But it's all personal preference.

#27 5 years ago

We use a pocket coil pillow top mattress it works well enough. It is a Bassett, made in Canada. Well constructed. We’re probably due for a new one, although it’s well over 10 years old and still comfortable.

My wife sleeps with a water base pillow. She has a lot of neck problems and swears by it.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Mediflow-Original-Fiberfill-Waterbase-51x71cm/dp/B006MIW6SI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

#28 5 years ago

Most of my back prob came from the military. Got slammed around in a hummwv during deployment. Needless to say I have Lower back issues and arthritis in the lower back.
    Get in and see a chiropractic. Your back is prob out of alignment, he will get you straightened back up. But your bed is prob a big issue. Mine is and looking at getting a firmer mattress. I go once a month and get a adjustment if I go more then 6 weeks without one, I start getting shooting pains down into my leg.

#29 5 years ago

I like to flip the mattress, so no pillow tops for me.

#30 5 years ago

I used this site for reviews on beds. Pretty comprehensive.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

#31 5 years ago

We have an iCloud tempurpedic memory foam mattress, i hate it but it works for the wife's back problems.

#32 5 years ago

Man, I wish this was easier. Spent $2000 on a foam mattress. After two years of being hot and back pain spent $3000 on a coil mattress that hurt my back after 2 years. Bought a $1000 all spring firm mattress and after a year am looking again.

#33 5 years ago

I'd suggest avoiding the Serta iComfort mattresses. The first few months were great, but it starts to sag and really doesn't provide much benefit.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

We've had the purple 3 for a little over a month now. I have bad back issues and it's ok for me. My back still hurts occasionally. My wife on the other hand doesn't like it and makes her back hurt more. So we have to send it back and start the search all over again.

I've been curious about the purple since their ads started showing up on the net. I've read a fair bit about them and it's often said that there's an adjustment period in which some people have discomfort as they adjust, but that goes away. Interesting to know that you guys are throwing in the towel on it.

Quoted from Whysnow:

The humor in their original ads grabbed my attention, but never completely sold me. Now they're on a second generation with several changes that sound nice (more edge support, for one) and I still haven't gotten off the fence.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I'd suggest avoiding the Serta iComfort mattresses. The first few months were great, but it starts to sag and really doesn't provide much benefit.

I bought one of these and had the same experience. Was great for maybe 1 year; now it ranks among my worst purchases ever.
    I have a 20yo Sterns&Foster coil mattress in the guest bedroom that provides a better nights sleep.

#36 5 years ago

I agree with rotordave (who, apparently, has done everything). As stupid as you feel laying on a bed while a salesperson stares at you, it's the best way to find out what works best. My wife and I recently replaced our antique (full size) bedroom set with something new (yet primitive for HER tastes). We bought a Sterns and Foster pillow top firm mattress. Old company and a quality name. We didn't want to spend more than 2k on a king mattress and this was the best option that we were BOTH comfortable on.

Best advice...GET A GOOD MATTRESS COVER! Even if you don't have animals, it keeps the mattress looking clean for years.

Bed (resized).jpgBed (resized).jpg
    #37 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I still haven't gotten off the fence.

it did take probably 2 months to adjust, but now we both look forward to our own bed when out on the road.

Pretty sure they still have a zero risk trial period and if you dont like it then you can have them take it back (they donate the used ones)
    Only thing is you would have to store your old mattress while trying out the new.

#38 5 years ago

I don't know if you prefer more firm or more soft of a mattress, but whichever mattress style you choose I would recommend getting one with a EURO TOP. I never heard of this before I went mattress shopping a couple years ago and I love it. It's like a pillow top but better and not pinched at the seam around the perimeter.

euro (resized).jpgeuro (resized).jpg
    #39 5 years ago

Some of my best nights are on the couch after a few beers.

Recommend Yuengling.

#40 5 years ago

I have had many beds over the past couple years, no good sleep until I finally was diagnosed with sleep apnea.. now with CPAP at least I can sleep some.. Hopefully i dont get dementia.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Sterns and foster pillow top with the adjustable head/feet/massage. I love it. But it's all personal preference.

Sterns and Foster all day every day. Don't cheap out on mattresses and good vermouth.

#42 5 years ago

Got a Sleep Number bed 8 years ago and LOVE it. Won't sleep on another mattress for the rest of my life (though I will probably upgrade to a new model in the near future).

My sister and parents both bought one after they checked out mine and they love it as well.

Buy at least the mid-level model. The high-end models will last forever and are awesome.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I used this site for reviews on beds. Pretty comprehensive.
    http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Thank you for posting this. I am way over due for a new bed.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I've been curious about the purple since their ads started showing up on the net. I've read a fair bit about them and it's often said that there's an adjustment period in which some people have discomfort as they adjust, but that goes away. Interesting to know that you guys are throwing in the towel on it.

The humor in their original ads grabbed my attention, but never completely sold me. Now they're on a second generation with several changes that sound nice (more edge support, for one) and I still haven't gotten off the fence.

My wife has gotten out of bed several times now to sleep on the couch. If she didn't feel the need to do that we would keep it.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

I agree with rotordave (who, apparently, has done everything).

Not quite everything...

But boy oh boy did I sell a shitload of furniture and beds between the ages of 16-42.

rd

#46 5 years ago

Pocket springs for the win!
    with a topper btw

#47 5 years ago

Fingers crossed for the Nectar coming tomorrow. Lots of good tips here though. I really do have to look into getting a chiropractor as well.

#48 5 years ago

Sometimes I sleep in bed, other times in the chair, and even others on the floor. Never have a problem passing out when the time comes though.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope you figure it out.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

We have the Sleep Number bed. We've had it for 8 years now. We love it. You never have to worry about buying a mattress that is too firm or too soft, or make a compromise if your spouse likes a different firmness than you, since you can dial it in to your personal liking on your side, and your spouse on their side.

Most people spend more time in their bed than their car.

Unless it's a Tesla

#50 5 years ago

Sleep number here too. I’ve had it for 6 years. It’s the best mattress I’ve ever owned.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hows-your-sleep-mattress-advice?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.