(Topic ID: 248624)

How’s your daily commute?

By Luckydogg420

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180814_083425 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1e5 (resized).jpeg
    download (14) (resized).jpg
    bed2 (resized).jpg
    bed1 (resized).jpg
    237F0CE0-2DB2-43A9-B098-335AA00C5257 (resized).jpeg
    K7DfQYg.png
    Screenshot_20190803-111808 (resized).png
    2004042420-300x0 (resized).jpg
    20190726_113232 (resized).jpg
    CT 1 (resized).jpg
    20190306_081649 (resized).jpg
    20181023_180950 (resized).jpg
    D826F83F-CB29-4864-B502-A1F6F1337BB3 (resized).jpeg
    D19101A9-7D25-45F4-9744-08C691D42DA1 (resized).jpeg
    High-speed-Pinball-Williams-Spinner-2474 (resized).jpg
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

From my house to the office, I can make it in 7 minutes.

But then.

I head straight for Toronto.
    A8F84D22-BEDA-40C5-AA33-A6B34650E869 (resized).jpegA8F84D22-BEDA-40C5-AA33-A6B34650E869 (resized).jpeg

Without traffic it’s 1 hour from my office to my first stop.
    During rush hour, the same trip is a hour and a half, at best.
    During a snowstorm I’ve had it take 3 hour.

How’s your daily drive? There are a lot of wonderful roads around the globe.

Have any of you drove on the autobahn? How fast?

#2 4 years ago

I live in the 'burbs and worked in downtown Chicago for more than ten years. I would drive to the remote parking lot (and pay to park), walk from there to the train stop, train in to the main station, and walk across town to the office. That commute was a grind.

My current job is only three miles/ten minutes from my house (with two stop signs and three traffic lights in between). Much better.

#3 4 years ago

According to a report by TomTom in June, Seattle is the 5th worst city in the country for traffic. According to the report, the traffic congestion results in extra 16-20 minutes per 30 minute trip. I think that says it all, traffic is bad here and daily commute is no picnic...

#4 4 years ago

6 Kms there. 6 Kms Home

#5 4 years ago

Mine is an hour but I get to look at this. Not from this spot, but still nice.

20180609_111223 (resized).jpg20180609_111223 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

6 Kms there. 6 Kms home.

My Dad walked that far going to school when he was a kid. And he told me it was uphill both ways.

Quoted from Tomass:

Mine is an hour but I get to look at this.

I can't quite tell - is that the mountain from Getaway or the volcano from Congo?

#7 4 years ago

I thought San Diego freeway (I-405) is the busiest in ...hmmmm
    I'm now semi-retired after 25 years in L.A.
    High-speed-Pinball-Williams-Spinner-2474 (resized).jpgHigh-speed-Pinball-Williams-Spinner-2474 (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

My Dad walked that far going to school when he was a kid. And he told me it was uphill both ways.

I can't quite tell - is that the mountain from Getaway or the volcano from Congo?

No. No. No......

That's a graph of Stern's increase in pricing.

#9 4 years ago

I work on Michigan Avenue by the Loop and live around Avondale/Logan Square. About 40-50 minutes door to door. CTA. No driving. Blue Line in. Sometimes I take the Milwaukee bus home and stop at one of the Emporiums or Logan Arcade for a flip.

#10 4 years ago

If I don't go to Sonic for an iced tea, it takes me about 30 seconds to walk to my shop (in the backyard).

#11 4 years ago

It varies, but sometimes it’s horrendous. A 30 mile commute to North Vancouver in the morning can normally take 90 minutes..if there’s an accident/stall..add 30 minutes! And I wonder why I haven’t turned into ‘this guy’ yet...

D19101A9-7D25-45F4-9744-08C691D42DA1 (resized).jpegD19101A9-7D25-45F4-9744-08C691D42DA1 (resized).jpeg
    #12 4 years ago

5 hours a day for the round trip. Most of it on a train, but there’s also a site involved and the usual wait times with public transit.

#13 4 years ago

92km round trip. Takes me approximately 25 minutes each way. I find it a good time to decompress before I get home.

#14 4 years ago

52 miles one way. 6 days a week. For 18 years now.

#15 4 years ago

About 15 seconds. I live in an apartment above my pro shop at my golf course.

#16 4 years ago

15 seconds too. Handful of steps and flight of stairs =D. I do have to drive to the post office usually 6 days a week. I can get to the PO and back in 15-20min.

#17 4 years ago

It varies. At worst it's about 8 hours one way, and at best it's about 30 seconds.

The thing is, I usually work from home, so my "commute" is walking from my bed to my couch, with a brief detour to turn in the coffee maker. But, since I work as a consultant, about every other month I have to fly somewhere for 3 or 4 days to do some on site stuff, hence the 8 hours one way.

#18 4 years ago

Depends. Most days I go to my home office which is 20 miles away. because of where I am situated and all of the merging highways I have to pass, that can take anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour. Twice a week I travel to PA and that commute can be anywhere from an hour to 2 hours. At least I get paid for mileage when I go there.

#19 4 years ago

3/4 of the time it’s just across the house to my home office, 1/4 of the time it’s 888 miles to Chicago

#20 4 years ago

I walk 250 feet. No time for winding down.

#21 4 years ago

11 miles drive along little Miami river, get to see lot of nature along way. Not unusual to drive 100 miles rest of day servicing vending machines.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:If I don't go to Sonic for an iced tea, it takes me about 30 seconds to walk to my shop (in the backyard).
    Quoted from Dooskie:

About 15 seconds. I live in an apartment above my pro shop at my golf course.

Quoted from barakandl:

15 seconds too. Handful of steps and flight of stairs =D. I do have to drive to the post office usually 6 days a week. I can get to the PO and back in 15-20min.

Quoted from Daemin:

he thing is, I usually work from home, so my "commute" is walking from my bed to my couch

Quoted from EricHadley:

3/4 of the time it’s just across the house to my home office

Quoted from jbrady65tv:

I walk 250 feet. No time for winding down.

I envy you guys with the no commutes, closest I every was to work was three miles. Now its 45 min, 42 miles, rural highway mostly. My commute before that was 44 miles, 52 minutes. I love getting those 7 minutes back, especially on the way home. Price to pay for small town, semi rural living. Wife has worked in our little town for last 15 years, 10 minute commute tops for her. The schools are only 5 minutes away from her job, that was great when the kids were growing up.

#23 4 years ago

I walk, ten minutes. I also walk home for lunch every day.

#24 4 years ago

Twice a day I get to drive over this. Traffic can be nasty at the wrong time of day and it can vary from 15 minutes to 35 Minutes to travel 9 km. Actually enjoy my commute - time out to listen to music or a podcast. And it’s a fun drive.

D826F83F-CB29-4864-B502-A1F6F1337BB3 (resized).jpegD826F83F-CB29-4864-B502-A1F6F1337BB3 (resized).jpeg
    #25 4 years ago

Retired. No commute!

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Retired. No commute!

Best commute of them all.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Retired. No commute!

I’m looking forward to this one day!

#28 4 years ago

Depends....

5 seconds from the bed to my home office.

3 minutes, 5 seconds if the wife's in the mood.

#29 4 years ago

Depends. Did the kiddo leave legos out again? If so, it could be a painful commute to the office.

#30 4 years ago

1 hr 15 mins each way. Been doing it for 26 years. And it sucks.

#31 4 years ago

Fine, I take the train.

How's yours?

#32 4 years ago

12 miles in one approx one hour most days. Average speed is generally 14 mph according to my challenger srt. 55 freeway south in So Cal.

#33 4 years ago

I walk 2.5 miles, it takes about 35 minutes. It's a good way to start the morning.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I walk 2.5 miles, it takes about 35 minutes. It's a good way to start the morning.

In Minnesota? Do you take the winters off?

#35 4 years ago

I handle the western half of the US plus BC....some weeks it is great then some weeks I am in Seattle. A couple of hours to go 10 miles.

#36 4 years ago

5-7 mins door to door . When I lived In Chicago well over an hour ... never again

#37 4 years ago

Summer is 20 minutes and winter is 40 minutes. First snowfall is the worst as people forget how snow works, and the commute turns into 60 minutes for a few days. Sigh.

To the OP....I spend lots of time in Toronto and I understand your pain about the traffic. That is a challenging city for travel. Been going there at least once a month and often more than that, for the last 20 years. It was a lot better 20 years ago than it is now traffic wise. That said it is a real fun city to visit. Need to get there more for personal time than for work!

#38 4 years ago

30 minutes of bliss cruise control at 100kph , Listening to Pinball podcast's, living the dream.
    Unless I get stuck behind a wide load or hung up at a rail crossing..............................

20181023_180950 (resized).jpg20181023_180950 (resized).jpg20190306_081649 (resized).jpg20190306_081649 (resized).jpgCT 1 (resized).jpgCT 1 (resized).jpg
    #39 4 years ago

*** when I lived in Toronto, I found it much faster to bike. A 75 minute commute in a piss-smelling Queen Street car (when one had enough room to even squeeze in) turned out to be a 12ish minute bike ride.

I even worked with a guy who biked in from Oakville every day because it ended up being faster than the drive most times.

#40 4 years ago

I get stuck behind 3 trucks like this, at least once a week

20190726_113232 (resized).jpg20190726_113232 (resized).jpg
    #41 4 years ago

About 30 minutes each way. I leave home on Cherokee Lake and go to work on Douglas Lake.

#42 4 years ago

20-30 minutes from my house in Forney, TX (east side of the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex) to Mesquite to FUN! In the mornings.

I actually take a different way home at 5pm, backroads as Hwy 80 is a congested mess anymore and I can get home in 25 minutes if I avoid most of Hwy 80 on my newly discovered “secret way”.

Both of which are the perfect time to get in some Kaneda’s Podcast of the what’s going on in the world of pinball.

#43 4 years ago

When I was running business in NY, my commute would go a half hour East, on Long Island in the Morning, and from there ended up an hour or two to Midtown Manhattan. I could think of nothing worse than sitting on the LIE, or Belt Parkway. Fortunately I was young, a New Camaro, and some tunes.

During one of those drives, I figured out how many YEARS, I think 12, I would spend sitting in my car. It was one big reason I moved....A shorter commute.

Today, I simply dont commute, or work for pay, but boy do I still work every day!

#44 4 years ago

I live in Chicago far west burbs and work in the far west burbs. On a bad day, its a 10 minute commute. I spent too many years with a one hour commute each way. I took a pay cut to drive less- well worth it for an improved quality of life. More living and less time tied up with work.

#45 4 years ago

Drive to park & ride.

Bus to ferry.

Walk on ferry to cross Puget Sound.

Walk to office in downtown Seattle.

Reverse in evening. Total daily time = 4 hrs +.

2004042420-300x0 (resized).jpg2004042420-300x0 (resized).jpg

#46 4 years ago

The San Diego Fwy (405) is one of the busiest in the country. Funny thing is, its 20 miles from San Diego County. It starts in central/north Orange County and heads into LA County.

Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

I thought San Diego freeway (I-405) is the busiest in ...hmmmm
    I'm now semi-retired after 25 years in L.A.
    [quoted image]

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Drive to park & ride.
    Bus to ferry.
    Walk on ferry to cross Puget Sound.
    Walk to office in downtown Seattle.
    Reverse in evening. Total daily time = 4 hrs +.
    [quoted image]

The one week per month that I'm at Village Greens in Port Orchard, it's an 18 minute to get from Manette to the golf course. When I leave to come back to Maine, it's a 15 minute walk to the ferry, a one hour ferry trip to Seattle, a 15 minute walk to the light rail, a 30 minute ride to SeaTac, then 4 hours to Chicago, another 3 hours to Bangor, then 20 minutes to get home. I'm usually pretty beat after that trip.

#48 4 years ago

takes me 3-5 minutes to get to work via car. maybe 5-7 min bike ride. feel very fortunate for that

#49 4 years ago

I had a 35 to 45 minutes each way daily commute since 1985. By 2017, it grew to an hour to 1:15 each way. I retired from that job two years ago. I now have a 17 minutes each way commute. This affords me 8 to 10 hours a week of additional personal time. That's priceless plus the salary & benefits are better and I collect two pensions.

While I love to drive, I'll never do anything like that again. My son loves to drive as well but I told him you don't want a long commute. His new job in Reno has a 7 minute each way commute on surface streets, with a view. Here's a picture from the other day....
    Screenshot_20190803-111808 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190803-111808 (resized).png

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

My son has a 7 minute each way commute on surface streets with a view. Here's a picture from the other day.

Nice view but the drive looks too uphill in that pic.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hows-your-daily-commute?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.