(Topic ID: 248624)

How’s your daily commute?

By Luckydogg420

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180814_083425 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1e5 (resized).jpeg
    download (14) (resized).jpg
    bed2 (resized).jpg
    bed1 (resized).jpg
    237F0CE0-2DB2-43A9-B098-335AA00C5257 (resized).jpeg
    K7DfQYg.png
    Screenshot_20190803-111808 (resized).png
    2004042420-300x0 (resized).jpg
    20190726_113232 (resized).jpg
    CT 1 (resized).jpg
    20190306_081649 (resized).jpg
    20181023_180950 (resized).jpg
    D826F83F-CB29-4864-B502-A1F6F1337BB3 (resized).jpeg
    D19101A9-7D25-45F4-9744-08C691D42DA1 (resized).jpeg
    High-speed-Pinball-Williams-Spinner-2474 (resized).jpg

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

From my kitchen for coffee to my computer room, about 20 feet.

#52 4 years ago

I walk into my home office, near my kitchen. So, about 6 steps.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

And yet you still manage to trip on the way at least once a week?

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You probably have your alarm clock set to play happy hardcore to wake you also.

#55 4 years ago

My 38 mile each way commute from a Northern Atlanta suburb to an in town location takes 1.5 hours most days. Was a little better with no school buses on the roads, but starting Monday, back to the 1.5

#56 4 years ago

I lived in Toronto and worked in finance for many years. I had 2 hour single way commutes on the highway 401.

That highway for non Torontonians is 16 lanes wide in some sections... after a promotion I traded in that commute for an airplane and the adventures that entails.

3 years ago, I moved back to my childhood hometown with my wife and new daughter. Lifestyle was more important to me than a fancy title on my card.my commute is 5 minutes... 7 if I don't catch the lights...

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

That highway for non Torontonians is 16 lanes wide in some sections...

It's up to 18 lanes now

K7DfQYg.pngK7DfQYg.png
    #58 4 years ago

It's around 2 minutes 30 seconds luckily.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It's up to 18 lanes now[quoted image]

Holy S__t!!!

#60 4 years ago

I don't miss the trips to Toronto, Raglan and Guelph as the traffic became brutal on the 401. The benefit was for my last night I'd take the QEW to Niagara Falls and stay there.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Nice view but the drive looks too uphill in that pic.

He has one foothill to climb as he lives a block away from IGT and maybe three from Bally/WMS (Scientific Games).

#62 4 years ago

25 miles each way mostly county highway. 35 minutes from the punch clock to the driveway. Winter time is a different story I work 3rd so I'm always driving on the side that no ones driven on. I have a 4 step course of action for winter driving #1 jeep #2 f150 #3 drive with co worker in his lifted truck #4 F@#$ it stay home.

#63 4 years ago

10 minutes/3 miles. In Boston metro area it’s a commute dreams are made of. I’ve paid my dues in Los Angeles with commutes from hell so I feel the universe owes it to me.

#64 4 years ago

About 5 minutes each way.

I won't ever take another job that requires me to get on the freeway again. Life's too short.

#65 4 years ago

1/4 mile if I drive. I’m there if I walk. Go figure.

#66 4 years ago

80 miles...each way. 75-90 mins to work and 100-180 mins back depending on the day of the week and time of day - for 26 years

#67 4 years ago

I am at 1:40 door to door. It sucks, but I've been doing it for 11 years, so I'm used to it, and the job is great. Most of that is on the train, so at least I'm not battling traffic.

By 55, I want to either retire or at least scale down my hours or find a job closer to home, even if it pays less.

#68 4 years ago

Something to listen to always helps. Music doesn’t always pass the time quick enough. Something a little more engaging helps. I’ve always been a Howard fan.

237F0CE0-2DB2-43A9-B098-335AA00C5257 (resized).jpeg237F0CE0-2DB2-43A9-B098-335AA00C5257 (resized).jpeg
    #69 4 years ago

14 km each way, and about 20 minutes. There's not much fluctuation with the traffic.

3 weeks later
    #70 4 years ago

I can see my desk and my warehouse packing area from my bed. But i do live in a tiny house, so i guess that's cheating.

bed1 (resized).jpgbed1 (resized).jpgbed2 (resized).jpgbed2 (resized).jpg
    #71 4 years ago

I remember when I lived in Toronto for a year back in around 2004 I used to stand on a bridge around Pickering at peak hour just tripping out how big that 401 was an how many cars are on it, an it still was a car park, being from Melbourne Australia that really blew my mind...average commute for me these days is about an hour each way.

#72 4 years ago

Before my dealership build us a wholesale warehouse my commute was 4 min (no lights) straight down Ogden Ave, after we moved, 7 min (2.8 mi, 4 lights).

With Chicago traffic the way it is (idiot drivers, construction, accidents), idk if I could ever 'commute' to downtown.....hats off to those of you with long commutes!

#73 4 years ago

3.5 miles each way, one traffic light and a couple stop signs.

Quit a good job last year after a couple months. When I interviewed one afternoon, it was a 40 min cruise there and back, about 45 miles, almost all expressway. But during actual rush hour, that quickly doubled. I ended up going in earlier than I needed to just to keep it at 45 min, but there was no escaping the 90 min grind home, which could have doubled in the winter. Nope, not for me. 500 miles a week, filling up 2 times a week. Tank of gas lasts me a month now, if I were to only drive to work.

#74 4 years ago

I work remotely for a software company. So, unless there's something on the floor that I trip over, I can go from bed to my office in about 2 minutes. Longer if i stop to pee.

But for the last 17 years I've had a commute that varies from 15 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the location and traffic. I hated losing two hours a day to driving and traffic..

I do miss driving now though...

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

3.5 miles each way, one traffic light and a couple stop signs.
    Quit a good job last year after a couple months. When I interviewed one afternoon, it was a 40 min cruise there and back, about 45 miles, almost all expressway. But during actual rush hour, that quickly doubled. I ended up going in earlier than I needed to just to keep it at 45 min, but there was no escaping the 90 in grind home, which could have doubled in the winter. Nope, not for me. 500 miles a week, filling up 2 times a week. Tank of gas lasts me a month now, if I were to only drive to work.

Agreed. I live near you and for 32 years had a 32 mile each way commute to Troy when I wasn't flaying somewhere. It used to be 35-45 minutes each way. Two years ago when I retired from there, the commute grew to 50-60 minutes there and 75-90 minutes home.

I got a job 15 minutes away (7 miles, no freeways). I gained 7-10 hours a week in personal time right there. That's not including better salary, pension money and other sweet benefits.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Agreed. I live near you and for 32 years had a 32 mile each way commute to Troy when I wasn't flaying somewhere. It used to be 35-45 minutes each way. Two years ago when I retired from there, the commute grew to 50-60 minutes there and 75-90 minutes home.
    I got a job 15 minutes away (7 miles, no freeways). I gained 7-10 hours a week in personal time right there. That's not including better salary, pension money and other sweet benefits.

Jeez mate, you have a tough job with the flaying. Bet you don't like going in with a hangover.

download (14) (resized).jpgdownload (14) (resized).jpg
    #77 4 years ago

Every day is different for me. On average 50,000 to 60,000 miles per year.

#78 4 years ago

About 1 hour 40 minutes, been doing it 20 years, sucks. Easy, but long. Drive 20 mine to train, 30 mins on NJ transit, 20 mins on PATH train, figure in waiting time and a short walk. Fairly common from suburbs into nyc. Work from home every Friday so that helps.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

About 1 hour 40 minutes, been doing it 20 years, sucks. Easy, but long. Drive 20 mine to train, 30 mins on NJ transit, 20 mins on PATH train, figure in waiting time and a short walk. Fairly common from suburbs into nyc. Work from home every Friday so that helps.

Walk home on Fridays? How long does that take?

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Walk home on Fridays? How long does that take?

Think you need to lay off the sauce....didn’t say walk home.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Think you need to lay off the sauce....didn’t say walk home.

Good call!

#82 4 years ago

4 minutes. More if I want McDonalds or need a tune before I get there.

#83 4 years ago

It is 13 miles from my home to work. What is that, about 207 kilometers? It is school bus season so it takes about 34 minutes.

#84 4 years ago

50 minutes in the morning, and at least 75 minutes in the evening. Podcasts make it somewhat bearable. WTF is my favorite.

#85 4 years ago

4 miles each way.

#86 4 years ago

It takes almost four hours. Hong Kong airport to Guangzhou Baiyun Airport; 84 miles as the crow flies. I leave my house 2.5 hours before the 48 minute flight departs (time for immigrations, security and coffee in the lounge) and spend time with collecting m6 luggage and, immigration and customs in Guangzhou.

#87 4 years ago

I work from home 2 weeks a month, then fly to Philadelphia for the other 2 weeks. I usually stay within 5-10 blocks of my job, so the walk is not bad. One reason I haven’t looked for a new job here in Atlanta is that commuting here is hell. I’d rather deal with flying a few times a month than spend 40-60 hours a month dealing with Atlanta traffic.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

It takes almost four hours. Hong Kong airport to Guangzhou Baiyun Airport; 84 miles as the crow flies. I leave my house 2.5 hours before the 48 minute flight departs (time for immigrations, security and coffee in the lounge) and spend time with collecting m6 luggage and, immigration and customs in Guangzhou.

I bet the Hong Kong airport is a real treat lately. I have a buddy that has lived in Guangzhou for over a decade and doesn’t like going to Hong Kong now.

#89 4 years ago

I like the food further north or west myself. Not that much into the southern Chinese food.Like it more in Beijing and Shanghai although my favourite of all is out in Sichuan.

#90 4 years ago

About an hour an 20 minutes through country roads, each way. I work for the “fracking “ industry in northeast Pennsylvania. It’s boom town here with work for truck drivers. If anyone is looking for a job in the Scranton or Binghamton areas please pm me. My company is hiring like crazy and we are owned by the oil and gas company so we will always have work.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I like the food further north or west myself. Not that much into the southern Chinese food.Like it more in Beijing and Shanghai although my favourite of all is out in Sichuan.

I like the Chinese food by my home. Four places within two miles. #17, #23, #41 and #48 are my favorites at the closest one. And they're open on Christmas for some strange reason.....

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

About an hour an 20 minutes through country roads, each way. I work for the “fracking “ industry in northeast Pennsylvania. It’s boom town here with work for truck drivers. If anyone is looking for a job in the Scranton or Binghamton areas please pm me. My company is hiring like crazy and we are owned by the oil and gas company so we will always have work.

The Fracking industry has been booming for almost ten years in the US. Many more Tank Trailers built above average levels.

Ironically for you, Heil Trailer closed their Lancaster, Pennsylvania plant that made sand-hauling tank trailers fifteen years ago when the market was so bad. Production was transferred to Texas and Tennessee back then.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I like the Chinese food by my home. Four places within two miles. #17, #23, #41 and #48 are my favorites at the closest one. And they're open on Christmas for some strange reason.....

I've never been to North america yet, but i'll wager the Chinese food you are used to is nothing like the food in China.
    I know this because i have been in china with people from the Staes and they all say that.

Little fact in restaraunts in China, the only time you'll be served rice is at the end of the meal if you aks for it and that will be a bit of an insult or a comment about yourself as you only order rice if you are still hungry at the end of the meal. And it's steamed rice, not fried.

#94 4 years ago

I am self employed and do several different things. I only leave home for the main work a average of 85 days a year, and the commute is always different to different places, but usually a 25 minute drive each way average. Anything more than a hour drive in traffic and I will just get a room close by for the normal 2-5 days I will be there. If it is a hour drive in the country with no traffic I will commute. I love to drive, I will not sit in traffic daily though.

90% of everything else I do is within 5 minutes and never any traffic, and I will retire to only this if the main work ever decides to do business in areas I do not want to go to too much.

F traffic, and Atlanta has some of the worst.

#95 4 years ago

I no longer have employment, but I treat this as my " job " going to the beach most days having a coffee and/ or a swim. Hope to surf again by end of year ( damn you chronic illness and dodgy legs, knees )
    Still stoked though and the journey is half the fun.

20180814_083425 (resized).jpg20180814_083425 (resized).jpgfullsizeoutput_1e5 (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_1e5 (resized).jpeg
    #96 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I've never been to North america yet, but i'll wager the Chinese food you are used to is nothing like the food in China.
    I know this because i have been in china with people from the Staes and they all say that.
    Little fact in restaraunts in China, the only time you'll be served rice is at the end of the meal if you aks for it and that will be a bit of an insult or a comment about yourself as you only order rice if you are still hungry at the end of the meal. And it's steamed rice, not fried.

What is fried rice?

1 week later
    #97 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I like the Chinese food by my home. #17, #23, #41 and #48 are my favorites.

Hey, I play those lotto numbers every week. What is your Powerball number?

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hows-your-daily-commute/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.