(Topic ID: 12658)

How's the Ohio Pinball/Gameroom festival going ?

By v8torino

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Xanathar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Anybody,Anybody ?

#2 12 years ago

Went pretty good for me so far I sold 2 games. 1 more to go hopefully tomorrow it will sell.

#3 12 years ago

Some games are beat to hell, some are absolutely beautiful. On the Ohio show post earlier I had some footage up of the color DMD's AFM, and MM. Turn it down, it's loud.

also, here are the best looking world cup soccer 94 and pin-bot's I've ever seen

None of those were for sale. For the most part, the games for sale (not all, just most) needed some repairs. The scared stiff is up for about 3500, needs a new ramp or 2. Cadalliac Music has some games that need some serious attention, but the Monster Bash seems to be playing pretty nicely. First time I got to play Monster Bash and it was a lot of fun.

No sound balance between games. You'd be playing one and hearing only the one next to you. But I guess that's the nature of a big convention style show. Came back to the hotel and promptly opened up a Hoppin' Frog Boris the Crusher #100 that I got from the brewery less than 12 hours ago.

Saw some containers for some good craft beers, but couldn't seem to find out where they came from inside SMUGGLERS!

#4 12 years ago

Here is some Images I shot today.. Great Show . Some great deals .. Pass around the link
    ohiopickers on facebook

http://seandeanphotography.zenfolio.com/ohiopinball2012

#5 12 years ago

you got lucky with those shots, got in during the 5 minutes that Lights, Camera, Action! was working. I kept going back and that thing was a lost cause.

#6 12 years ago

Played some great machines - AFM, ToM, MM, AC/DC. Anybody know what machines will be coming in on Saturday - hope one's a Funhouse.

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for the updates so far.

#8 12 years ago

also Jersey Jack was right behind me while we were playing a game.. I didn't get to talk to him, looked behind me, saw him, heard him talking and when the ball was gone, so was he.

MYSTERIOUS!!

#9 12 years ago

great pics. thanks for sharing

#10 12 years ago

Headed there now.

Can't wait to get my paws on pinbot.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

Went pretty good for me so far I sold 2 games. 1 more to go hopefully tomorrow it will sell.

What games did you sell, what is your other game ?

#12 12 years ago

Sold Pinbot and T3 got NGG at the show for sale or trade.

#13 12 years ago

Had some good practice rounds on SS then biffed so hard on the tournament entry. Those games are set up HARD!

It was cool to hear Jersey Jack give his speech. I believe WOZ is going to be pretty extraordinary.

Looking forward to another day of games!

#14 12 years ago

Any new new?

Quoted from sleethering:

Had some good practice rounds on SS then biffed so hard on the tournament entry. Those games are set up HARD!
    It was cool to hear Jersey Jack give his speech. I believe WOZ is going to be pretty extraordinary.
    Looking forward to another day of games!

#15 12 years ago

I went could not find any deals. Maybe there will be better ones today. it was pretty slim pickins as far as I thought this year so far

#16 12 years ago

Well crap.. Where did JJ have the speech? I guess it doesn't matter now..

#17 12 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like an interesting selection of stuff for sale. I see Mike has the big Hercules machine there, always something neat to see. Kory

#19 12 years ago

First show. Tons of fun. Lots of great pins.

Loved sm.

#20 12 years ago

I haven't been to the Ohio show in a couple years because it was the same weekend as MGC and was hoping it had improved. But the show is only good if you are looking for a project machine or like to play smelly pinball machines from the 60's. Other than that save your gas/money and go to a real pinball show. So sad ... Oh yeah if your looking to play Galaga on m.a.m.e. you will find that too.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from pin_wizd:

But the show is only good if you are looking for a project machine

I agree, anything that was for sale was beat up and/or needed work. I went with high hopes of picking up a machine but was very disappointed.

#22 12 years ago

You guys are nuts. I had a blast. Played so many pins I've never seen or played.

Loved transformers. Sm. mm was killer. Ij.

I was in heaven for hours. AND met Melissa from cointaker. Kinda hot for an older gal.

#23 12 years ago

It was cool watching techs fix machines too.

Maybe I'm just too newbie-ish, but I loved it.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Kinda hot for an older gal.

Watch out BB! LOL

#25 12 years ago

Did you see CoinTakers Booth ? Prutty Sure they were Going to be there . Great Pict's- !!

#26 12 years ago

Yea, went there and got some color changers, some frosted whites, and some superbrights to play around with the spotlights in my game. It's already all LED, but fun to toy with the colors.

JJ did end up talking Saturday as well, I asked him about the possibility of being able to jack mp3 players into machines for personalized soundtracks. He kind of hinted that all future machines may have something like this capability and surround sound options, but stopped himself before saying too much.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

AND met Melissa from cointaker. Kinda hot for an older gal.

I thought that---Except---for her being a younger gal-I must be getting old )

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

Blackbeard said:Kinda hot for an older gal.
    Watch out BB! LOL

What?! She was kinda hot!

#29 12 years ago

As the show was my first, I was expecting more machines to play and more older machines available. We got their on sat. afternoon at 230 and it was already tear down for a lot of guys who brought machines. I was looking for an older smelly 60s game but what I saw being played were trash. Is there a better show that I should attend?
    RAy
    [email protected]

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

What?! She was kinda hot!

Just kidding you BB because you said "older gal"

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

Blackbeard said:What?! She was kinda hot!
    Just kidding you BB because you said "older gal"

Lol. I'm only 33 so most chicks are older than I.

She was nice to deal with too.

#32 12 years ago

I've never been to a show. Gotta go...

#33 12 years ago

I wished I would have went and then again by some of these posts, I'm glad I didn't drive 4 hrs. to get there.
    Looks like I'll save my money for Back to Back weekends in April... MPE and the PATZ.

All I really wanted from the Ohio show was a poster and a T-shirt anyways..

Bill in Indiana

#34 12 years ago

The show was nice. The best thing was being able to play MM and AFM color DMD machines. The tournament on the other hand was kinda crappy. Almost every machine was not tournament ready. The tilts were set so high that it took the skill factor away. One machine had no lock in the door so every 5 minutes it would trip the interlock switch and shut down the solenoids. Another machine the optos were not working. Another machine had the left flipper at the 5 o'clock position and the right at the 8 o'clock position. The games were set so hard that the final 4 scores for A averaged in the 2-3 million range. It was ridiculous.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

The tilts were set so high that it took the skill factor away.

Personally, I disagree on this point when it comes to tournament games. I'd rather have the machine set up super tight so it requires precision shots, and not loose so that anyone can keep the ball in play for a long period of time. The shorter the ball times are for everyone, the closer the skill sets are...

...and I've never been in a tournament with tight tilts that the best players don't still come out on top with. The difference though is that the top players scores might average 2-3 million instead of the top three or four being 200-300 million, and making it so that it is impossible for those less skilled to get anywhere near that.

Looked through the pictures, looked like a good turn out of stuff this year! I love me project machines (I miss the containerloads at Expo, although they were never really priced right anyway), but I'd LOVE going through machines at a show like this!

#36 12 years ago

The top 4 qualifying score were actually

1 - 41M
    2 - 33M
    3 - 24M
    4 - 21M

The tilts were set very high but that doesn't take the skill factor away it just takes the nudging/slapsave ability away. Scared Still is a very long playing game and you can easily play it where every shot returns to the flippers. That was the reason for setting them up hard.

Trent

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from pin_wizd:

But the show is only good if you are looking for a project machine or like to play smelly pinball machines from the 60's.

Hmm...

I picked up a really nice TOTAN and a cc'd WCS94. I'm not sure why people are saying that there was nothing decent to buy...?

I'd call it a great weekend, except for the lack of WOZ updates after Jack spoke 2 days in a row.

-M

#38 12 years ago

Okay maybe there were some nicer machines to buy but I just didn't see them because they were taken out of the building so fast. I got there at 10 am Sat and already machines were leaving the building or turned off. I came there to play pinball not buy a machine. The first machine I played was a really nice Junkyard. I came back an hour later to play again and it was gone. I will admit some of the machines in the first row were really really nice. WCS94 & Pinbot tricked out with leds. MM, AFM, SM, TF, ACDC. The line to play them was 5 or 6 deep all day long. And they didn't break down. Props to the owners!

They really should rename this event from "show" to "bazzar" because IMHO that's what it was. On their website it raves "We will have over 100 machines all on free play for your enjoyment!" Yeah right?! More like "100 machines (some pinball, some mame cabinets, a couple redemption machines) will enter the building but you will only get to play about 20 or so if you get there at the right time because most of them will be sold or break down but if you like smelly 60s machines this will be your type of party!"

ps. There were a ton of folks there on Sat... probably because of the free pizza.

#39 12 years ago

My opinion was that there were loads of pins all on free play. Very little mame cabinets etc. I think I saw about 5. The one i did see was a galaga, of which I got second high score.

For $15, I really can't see how anyone can even think about complaining.

On a side note, is Pinburgh just a competition, or is it a show like Ohio?

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

On a side note, is Pinburgh just a competition, or is it a show like Ohio?

If you're not in the tournament you can play about 300 or so of their games on coin play. Most games are 50 cents per play, some of the older games are 25. Everything is in great condition. Nothing for sale.

#41 12 years ago

I may still make it there.

I don't have any pins around me to play besides my 6 I own.

#42 12 years ago

It's the best place to play pinball I've ever been to and I can't imagine a better facility. Definitely a must visit. Plus it's fun to watch the final rounds even if you're not in the tournament.

#43 12 years ago

I figure at .50 cents per play, for $15.00 you can play 30 games.

I'd spend more i'm sure, but just comparing to Ohio (which I loved).

#44 12 years ago

Yeah I end up spending more playing than admission to a show, but I think it's well worth it. The games are very well taken care of, leveled properly and you're not waiting in line to play the hottest games. Plus a lot of the token sales are donated to the local humane society. Just a great experience all around.

Maybe it's time to get a Pinburgh thread going...

#45 12 years ago

Trent,

What were the tourney results? Who placed where?

#46 12 years ago

Just wanted to say that I think it was an excellent show this year. New vendors, the largest amount of games and people yet.....Many A titles to play (MM, AFM, AC/DC, Cactus Canyon, MB, SS, SC, etc..., There were a lot of deals to be had - I have never seen so many games move so quickly - kind of like a feeding frenzy on some games, people were making deals for games before they were unpacked in the parking lot or the minute a game was being set up it had a group of people around it ready to buy... Especially if it was an A or B title..... Marvin and Mike do an excellent job in organizing the show and Trent works hard to make the tournament fun and competitive.

I know they ask people to keep their games set up for free play for the entire show but it is hard to police it especially when someone just paid thousands of dollars and the new owner wants to take it home. For those who mentioned they came in the afternoon Saturday, unfortunately you miss a lot by not getting there on Friday or at least Sat morning. I know not everyone's schedule allows them to be there earlier but unfortunately things are winding down by late Saturday afternoon. All in all a great time this year and the best show yet. I only want to see it get stronger each year and keep the hobby moving forward. Marvin and Mike listen to everyone's feedback and will be incorporating some new ideas for next year to make it even better!

#47 12 years ago

My opinion is that if someone buys a game it should be taken outta play.

Who wants their newly purchased game to sit on all day and have people being rough with it?

I have no problems with pins being sold off. I did miss out on playing the JY though.. kinda sad about that.

Played AFM a few times. Seems a little rinse and repeat to me.

#48 12 years ago

I personally had a great time...met some great people...new Kalamazoo friends Got to play pin all night on Friday and really never had to wait for a machine. This was my first convention so maybe I am biased but I will definitely attend next year.

#49 12 years ago

I had an OK time. Alas, I didn't walk away with a Pin this year. Almost had a MSF, but got out bid at the last miute.

It was fun though

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hows-the-ohio-pinballgameroom-festival-going and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.