Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

55567tr.jpg
    image-68.jpg
    joshandjacobin35years.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hi guys, I'm a couple years into the hobby, so I'm not like some of you who have seen the heyday and the rock bottom of pinball. Pretty exciting (I think? You tell me) to see some primo titles prices coming down. Just saw an Avengers in the market for well under 4k. Saw a Transformers for a similar price last week. So, while I am educated in basic economics, how do you "old timers" see this going specifically with pinballs? Pretty sure you guys have been through this a few times. My curiosity isn't on the "fringe"- I know MM, TZ, BBB and the highest of the highs won't change a lot soon or will be the last to change, but it appears that things may become interesting in other regards. For instance, if a HUO Pro model and the "2nd tier" of higher dollar machines- Shadow, GNR, STTNG etc etc get identical in price (getting close in some examples), it seems that may change the buying/selling game a tad. Will everything shift down? Will everything shift up? Just food for thought.

joshandjacobin35years.jpgjoshandjacobin35years.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Well, to answer one of your questions, yes I do think it is an exciting time for pinball.

As far as what I think the market will do ... I don't know, and i am glad I'm lucky enough to not have to care too much. I mean I get that we are talking about toys that cost thousands, so prices will always be a big issue. There's no avoiding that. I just wish money and speculation were a smaller part of the hobby in general.

Just remember it's all about having fun playing these games

#3 9 years ago

There are a bunch of threads on here with price speculation (search "bubble" and see!) but the honest answer is nobody knows.

#4 9 years ago

Prices down-Summer…Prices up-Winter.If that helps

#5 9 years ago

Hmm hard to say, prices for pins are always softer this time of year as most are out doing other things while the weather is nice. I think prices will trend up/firm up as we go into winter. Jmho

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

Hi guys, I'm a couple years into the hobby, so I'm not like some of you who have seen the heyday and the rock bottom of pinball. Pretty exciting (I think? You tell me) to see some primo titles prices coming down. Just saw an Avengers in the market for well under 4k. Saw a Transformers for a similar price last week. So, while I am educated in basic economics, how do you "old timers" see this going specifically with pinballs?

Ya know, a few years ago it was normal for a new Stern game to hit closer to $2k....South Park, Austin Powers, T3, WPT, etc....a lot of newer games really went down in price...So, Avengers and TF (Pro) being around $4k is still pretty "healthy". At the end of the day, it's supply and demand for specific titles. Prices went up because more people got into the hobby, cleaned out the "inventory" of garage sale & auction games, restored them and kept them (or sold them for more money based on condition).

#7 9 years ago

Same as always. People selling will think titles are made of gold...people buying will forecast prices being silly high and doth protest.

Forecasting pin pricing is like forecasting the stock market. Full of 'experts' and 'insiders'. Some are right some of the time, most are wrong most of the time.

I forecast TWD to be sterns most successful title since Tron LE.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Prices down-Summer…Prices up-Winter.If that helps

Prices down - Selling... Prices up - Buying.

And don't worry too much about what will happen to prices. Just don't overpay unless you already know its a keeper and a great copy. Pay fair market value and you will be fine.

#9 9 years ago

I would say prices will be moving up on the lower end and down on the higher end. It's harder and harder to find old routed machines on Craigs List, at garage sales or in the storage warehouses of old operators because most stuff is already in the hands of collectors. There are lots of people entering the hobby, but not much supply at the entry level anymore (at least not in the under $1000 or even $1500 for anything with a DMD). The high-end A-level games have the ongoing threat of remakes which keeps their prices in check (except for those with licensing issues or absolutely pristine examples). What I've really noticed lately is how many collectors have game rooms that are now almost exclusively Stern. Those with lots of money to spend on this hobby seem to have shifted from 90s Williams Bally to LE Sterns.

#10 9 years ago

Run numbers mater if you look at Stern TSPP is a highly rated game but not one of the highest on price. You will see a high run game like ac/dc will still be highly rated but the price will come down.

#11 9 years ago

I also forecast my pin pricing as follows:

image-68.jpgimage-68.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Prices are down right now based more on $$$ being on the sidelines than anything else. Preorder mania = literally millions of dollars out of the 2nd market economy. Until we catch up there, it won't get better for the values of machines. Add to that the prospect of reproduction from Stern Vault and Planetary, and you have supressed values with no breathing room.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Prices are down right now based more on $$$ being on the sidelines than anything else. Preorder mania literally millions of dollars of of the 2nd market economy. Until we catch up there, it won't get better for the values of machines. Add to that the prospect of reproduction from Stern Vault and Planetary, and you have supressed values with no breathing room.

More like preorder stagnation. Soon to be burnout if not already.

If it ain't built you got nuthin' to sell me.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

More like preorder stagnation. Soon to be burnout if not already.
    If it ain't built you got nuthin' to sell me.

Maybe. I think it's definitely been moving in that direction over the last 8 months or so. But if PPS delivers as promised in a timely fashion, you may see preorders gain momentum again.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Add to that the prospect of reproduction from Stern Vault and Planetary, and you have supressed values with no breathing room.

the reproduction wild card will keep a lid on pinflation for older a list titles and it will trickle down from there to the b titles etc. 8k nib pinball machines might be looked at as the lunacy period of pinball in future years.

#16 9 years ago

I'm just excited when anything I am involved with comes down in price, as I wouldn't mind early retirement one bit. I'm a half full guy (and it's a hobby for me, I always, always lose money on a pin because I choose to- not about that), so to me it's more fun available to more people. While financially I could buy NIB's, I will only spend so much on a pin- I didn't really think Id have a Pro anything anytime soon, but now the possibility could be there for me. Probably a lot of folks like that I would imagine. Whether its a lack of capitol, or an inability to rationalize 6 or 8 grand in my brain for a pinball, the titles will be accessible to more peeps at 3k than 6k. I like it.

55567tr.jpg55567tr.jpg

#17 9 years ago

That summer winter thing burned out a year and a half ago. We had the taxes line, Xmas etc. clear trend down from a crazy high.
    As mentioned folks are burned out, out of space and just tired of the LE game. We are feeling what most of us knew was coming.
    Now Predator money is needed forcing some selling. Add MMr being called in this week and a New Stern on the Horizon and then Hobbit. Those are real factore putting pressure on the pin game big time!

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That summer winter thing burned out a year and a half ago. We had the taxes line, Xmas etc. clear trend down from a crazy high.
    As mentioned folks are burned out, out of space and just tired of the LE game. We are feeling what most of knew was coming.
    Now Predator money is needed forcing some selling. Add MMr being called in this week and a New Stern on the Horizon and then Hobbit. Those are real factore putting pressure on the pin game big time!

Well put. PRED preorder was my last. Done funding other pinball projects. PPS will have to build em THEN sell em. Novel idea.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hows-pricing-going-to-shake-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.