New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 114261)

How woz ruined my xmas/new year

By tmontana

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

57736012.jpg
image-612.jpg
1.164941.jpg
WickedLogoIllustrator.jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I'll start off by saying I absolutely love my woz, I've had it over year and have put over 1000 plays on it. Anytime someone comes over for the first time I always show them my collection and especially show off my woz.

But my love for this game is where my problem began.

My wife and I normally have 2 Christmases, one with my family and one with hers. As I am someone who gives many hints on what I like, her family always buys us great gifts (got a nice charcoal smoker from her mom this year). Even when I get something I didn't 'ask' for it is usually something I love since they try and put some thought into it. Her Aunt and Uncle usually get us a gift card to either a restaurant we go to or a store we often shop at.

Back to the woz. They all know I'm really into pinball and especially know how much I love my woz. This got them thinking that I must really love the movie (I like it but it's not like I'm some kind of hardcore fan). So this year they decided since we must really love the movie what could be a better gift than to buy us (and the rest of the family) tickets to see this.

WickedLogoIllustrator.jpg

Now normally having to go see a musical wouldn't be that bad, however, besides being into pinball I'm a die hard Detroit Lions fan. As many of you know they have made it into the playoffs for only the second time in god knows how many years.

So I'm sure you can guess when the musical is... yup the same day/time as the Lions playoff game. So instead of watching my beloved Leos in the post season I'll be watching this
1.164941.jpg

FML

#2 5 years ago

It's a great musical, you'll be fine.

#3 5 years ago

I have seen wicked, it's a brilliant show.
Can't you record the game and watch later or were you planning to go to the game?

#4 5 years ago

Dvr the game..do not listen to the radio on the way home...and watch it...I work every sun being in retail management..

#5 5 years ago

At least record the game. I know it's not the same but you can still watch it.

#6 5 years ago

I don't like musicals that much but Wicked is fantastic. Never met someone that really disliked it. Record the game and you have the best of both worlds.

#7 5 years ago

You're complaining that your family was nice enough to give a thoughtful present? It's a fantastic musical. DVR the game and watch it when you get back home, or just give the tickets to someone who would actually appreciate it.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Ditto. Enjoy the "subtext".

Queue up South Park - Broadway Bro Down episode for the reference.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah I'm planning on recording it, but seeing as the musical is in dt detroit I fear that I will hear about the outcome before I get home

#10 5 years ago

Let me let you in on a little secret...it's called a DVR.

Set it. Record the game. Turn off your phone. Go see the musical (which you're going to enjoy...almost guaranteed). Drive home with radio silence... park it on your couch with a six pack and enjoy the game!

Problem solved.

#11 5 years ago

Enjoy the play and Tivo the game.

The Lions don't have much of a shot anyway.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

You're complaining that your family was nice enough to give a thoughtful present? It's a fantastic musical. DVR the game and watch it when you get back home, or just give the tickets to someone who would actually appreciate it.

I know i shouldn't be bitchin too much, like i said they always give thoughtful gifts but what timing? The Lions have sucked for so long and I've stayed a loyal fan the whole time, now that they have a decent team and have a chance at doing something in the post season I'll be missing it

#13 5 years ago

I'm not into musicals at all but I've seen wicked and it was pretty sweet man. Yeah you'll miss the Lions game but so what DVR it and enjoy the time with your family.

#14 5 years ago

Is there any way to exchange the tickets for a different date?

#15 5 years ago

Obligatory:

OMG, YOU GUYS LIKE <whatever>, HAHA CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT A BUNCH OF <slur> YOU GUYS ARE? IF MY WIFE MADE ME GO TO THAT I'D <Something bad>!

#16 5 years ago

Is it a knockout game or will they have another chance if they lose?
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't follow American sports.

#17 5 years ago

I'm not one for musicals, but my husband loves them and I got him tickets to Wicked last year. It was a 5 hour round trip and that alone normally puts me in a bad mood, but it was a really good show. Except that he kept singing the songs the whole way home... At least now he's moved on to singing selections from Book of Mormon, which is slightly less annoying.

#18 5 years ago

It's a knockout game, lose and the season is over

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Is it a knockout game or will they have another chance if they lose?
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't follow American sports.

knockout game

#20 5 years ago

Btw, my wife loves everyone who has posted thus far

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

This changes everything, I love my team in our NRL and would not miss a live knockout game but I would be going to the game...not watching it on tv. If you were planning on watching the game on tv then stick with the plan of recording it and watching later.

#22 5 years ago

I can tell as you are typing this that you seem to be coming down with a cold (or possibly the flu). It would be best for all if you were to stay home this weekend. (don't want to spread whatever it is you are coming down with).

#23 5 years ago

Oh and if you were a real fan you'd shoot yourself in the leg or break your ankle or something to get out of that musical.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

I'll start off by saying I absolutely love my woz, I've had it over year and have put over 1000 plays on it. Anytime someone comes over for the first time I always show them my collection and especially show off my woz.
But my love for this game is where my problem began.
My wife and I normally have 2 Christmases, one with my family and one with hers. As I am someone who gives many hints on what I like, her family always buys us great gifts (got a nice charcoal smoker from her mom this year). Even when I get something I didn't 'ask' for it is usually something I love since they try and put some thought into it. Her Aunt and Uncle usually get us a gift card to either a restaurant we go to or a store we often shop at.
Back to the woz. They all know I'm really into pinball and especially know how much I love my woz. This got them thinking that I must really love the movie (I like it but it's not like I'm some kind of hardcore fan). So this year they decided since we must really love the movie what could be a better gift than to buy us (and the rest of the family) tickets to see this.

Now normally having to go see a musical wouldn't be that bad, however, besides being into pinball I'm a die hard Detroit Lions fan. As many of you know they have made it into the playoffs for only the second time in god knows how many years.
So I'm sure you can guess when the musical is... yup the same day/time as the Lions playoff game. So instead of watching my beloved Leos in the post season I'll be watching this

FML

WickedLogoIllustrator.jpg 79 KB

1.164941.jpg 38 KB

Karma! Lol Just kidding
Get the NFL app, your gonna need it! Lol
ok I'm done

#26 5 years ago

i feel your pain.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

At least now he's moved on to singing selections from Book of Mormon, which is slightly less annoying.

When this guy saw the Wicked tickets, he said "Hasa diga ebowai."

#28 5 years ago

I'd love to see Wicked!

I could go in your place?

#29 5 years ago

Best of both worlds. Wicked sucks after she sings Defying Gravity just before intermission. Stream the game on your phone and watch it out in the lobby during the second act. You won't miss a thing in the show, and if you stay and actually watch the second act, you won't miss a thing in the game because the Cowboys should have the game pretty well in hand by the second half.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

When this guy saw the Wicked tickets, he said "Hasa diga ebowai."

See, now most people probably don't know what that means. But that was simply the best musical I've ever seen. And I HATE musicals.

#31 5 years ago

Hahaha, I feel your pain. I'd never go.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

What do you mean, *if* they lose? It's the Lions if course they'll lose.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

What do you mean, *if* they lose? It's the Lions if course they'll lose.

What time do the Bears play?

#34 5 years ago

And you call yourself a die hard fan?

For shame!

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

See, now most people probably don't know what that means. But that was simply the best musical I've ever seen. And I HATE musicals.

I agree. It's fantastic. The opening with the doorbell ringing is genius.

Apart from the actual musical, my second favourite part of the night was the Mormon missionaries who were standing outside of the theatre trying to recruit people as they arrived. At first I thought they were part of the show. Nope!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's okay, Blondetall did, and I know my wife will. It's a great inside joke for those that have seen it....and the rest will probably google it.

#37 5 years ago

Hey Bill,

My wife says that she'll go to the play with your wife and that we can watch the game together. Of course, that will also mean that my kids will be there.

Anyway, could be worse I guess. I would follow the advice of some others. Record the game, go to the play, avoid all media, come home and watch without commercials.

By the way, your in-laws dropped some serious coin on those tickets. I was looking at getting some and then balked at the price.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Yeah I'm planning on recording it, but seeing as the musical is in dt detroit I fear that I will hear about the outcome before I get home

Have someone else drive, stick your fingers in your ears and sing "la la la la la" to yourself the whole ride home.

#39 5 years ago

Enjoy yourself. As many others have said, Wicked is fantastic. And the Detroit Opera House is a beautiful venue, so that's worth enjoying in and of itself.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

What time do the Bears play?

I know they suck, I'm not delusional.

#41 5 years ago

You could send your wife with mine and we could watch the game. Just an idea

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I know they suck, I'm not delusional.

And if it wasn't for Romo and his ability to choke I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the Lions

#43 5 years ago

You know you did this to yourself right? Showing off your Woz to anyone with a set of eyes lol.
Your next pin should be one of the Playboy pins.
Would love to see what you get next Christmas if you do.

#44 5 years ago

Here's the problem with playoffs. If your team loses, you didn't want to waste time watching them anyway. If they win, fantastic, you'll get to see them in the next game that's even more important. So who cares if you find out the outcome, right?

#45 5 years ago

Did I just enter into some alternate universe where pinheads are big musical fans?

Since you are not going to the game as you know you're best bet is to dvr the game and try and cut all communication with the outside world. I feel your pain since I've been rooting for a subpar team for decades and since they don't go to the playoffs but once in a blue moon that is a huge deal. Good luck

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

I realize there are plenty of fans, but "great musical" is an oxymoron to me, like "jumbo shrimp". I feel for ya, tmontana.

My whole family knows I have a strict "no musical" policy.

#47 5 years ago

I'll go with your wife and you stay home and be happy with your team!!! Wish I had your problems.

#48 5 years ago

I'd go to any game rather than a musical, but when I was in NYC a couple of months ago I got tickets to Wicked for me and the wife. I had a couple of Jack n Cokes before the show because I wasn't feeling it, but I thought it was a great show. Nice twist on the story and the humor surprised me as well. I'd highly recommend it. However, in NYC one Jack n Coke and a glass of wine at the theatre came out to $25 after tip.

#49 5 years ago

A slingbox costs roughly $100 plus the $15 app...problem solved. Real Time TV anywhere you are.

#50 5 years ago

I had to go with the wife. Told my her I really liked it as we were leaving. She asks why I have my jacket.
"It's not over, it's intermission."
"WHAT?"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.90
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside