(Topic ID: 19125)

How would you recommend protecting the Sanctum on my Shadow?

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Chudmeat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shadow,,.JPG
Shadow,.JPG
laughing.gif
The_Shadow.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I recently acquired a beautiful Shadow with virtually no Sanctum wear. How would you guys recommend protecting the area? Should I put a piece of mylar down over it? If so, where can I buy the mylar, and is there anything I should do to prep the area before applying it?

The_Shadow.JPGThe_Shadow.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Mylar would be the easiest . Clear coating would work also. PM me if you need some Mylar I have a 3 feet by 3 foot sheet I could send you some.

#3 11 years ago

I would put Mylar down.

Then latter if you decide you want to clear coat the playfield, it is easily removed.

Even on playfields I've cleared, I still might put a piece of Mylar or Cliffy under a habittrail drop.

#4 11 years ago

Wax it before putting Mylar down, even easier to remove down the road then.

#5 11 years ago

You can buy sheets of Mylar at Marco.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks, guys!

So what's the dealer with mylar? Do you just cut it to size, peel off the backing, and stick it on?

#7 11 years ago

Cut it, check its fit.

Stick it on starting on one side. Use a credit card to smoothly press it down.

Pop stubborn air bubbles with a pin.

#8 11 years ago

How sticky is the stuff? If I make a mistake laying it down, can I pull it up and start over? Also, will the ball eventually wear through the mylar, or is this unlikely to occur in a home environment?

#9 11 years ago

It's tacky, but not crazy. Pulling it up is always some risk of pulling off paint. Freeze off old Mylar.

Yes the ball will wear through it, but probably never with home use.

Put new balls in every 6 months, if you don't already.

#10 11 years ago

I recently acquired a beautiful Shadow with virtually no Sanctum wear. How would you guys recommend protecting the area?

Sell-n it !!! ,,

Shadow,.JPGShadow,.JPG Shadow,,.JPGShadow,,.JPG

#11 11 years ago

I would put down some static cling vinyl there gweempose. It can be easily removed from clear coated playfields without a sticky mess being left behind and protects similarly to mylar.

#12 11 years ago

Also tighten and glue down the magnet to the mount so it doesn't vibrate and thus wiggle the ball around during the cycle.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I would put down some static cling vinyl there gweempose. It can be easily removed from clear coated playfields without a sticky mess being left behind and protects similarly to mylar.

Is there any place to source this stuff with Mark out of commission?

Quoted from castlesteve:

Also tighten and glue down the magnet to the mount so it doesn't vibrate and thus wiggle the ball around during the cycle.

This sounds like a great idea. Can you elaborate on how you would go about this. For example, what type of glue would you recommend?

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is there any place to source this stuff with Mark out of commission?

Clear shelf paper is awesome for this application. It doesn't have the strength of adhesive as mylar, and can be pulled later with no damage. I have been using it for years in high traffic areas, and it works great. If you are really concerned, as others have mentioned, you can throw a light layer of wax underneath first.

#15 11 years ago

I cleaned... (as best I could before I started to notice chips of area coming up), then waxed and finally laid down a piece of mylar over my sanctum (<---sounds naughty lol) last night. Hopefully it'll provide the protection I need for years to come.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 37.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-would-you-recommend-protecting-the-sanctum-on-my-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.