(Topic ID: 245147)

How would you like to see the Munsters code evolve?

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jespo_19
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Stern improve The Munsters code? (Game play and theme integration)”

• No. The 1.0 code level is fine. Bug fixes only please. 9 votes
    8%
  • Yes. I am an owner. The code needs more theme integration and game play. 45 votes
    41%
  • Yes. I am a likely buyer with significant improvements to the code. 28 votes
    25%
  • Doesn’t matter. I’m not interested in owning the game. 28 votes
    25%

(110 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Munsters is a game that has a passionate fan base of both owners are those that want to be. Most appreciate the art packages on the games and Stern is to be commended for offering the Premium in both the original black and white (just beautiful) and full color versions. The Borg layout is smooth and fun to shoot with two terrific ramps though many agree that Stern beancounters did the game a great disservice by removing the trap door and replacing drop targets with monotargets (especially LILY).

The area where there is the most consternation is code both in terms of rules and game play as well as theme integration. Although it is very unlikely there will be any major changes now that the code is supposedly feature complete at 1.0, I would like this thread to be a repository for ideas of what owners and potential owners would like to see in future code updates

Three simple rules for this thread:

- No bashing. If you are not a fan of the theme or simply do not like the game, that’s fine. But don’t post here please.

- If you are an owner please do not try to convince everyone that the code is perfectly fine as it is. There is a poll option for this.

- This is only for discussion of how the code could be improved. Layout, shots and art aren’t going to change.

I don’t believe that comments like “Munsters should be as deep as Batman 66” are helpful. I own and love Batman and while I’d like to see that level of code for Munsters I think the odds it would ever happen, for a variety of reasons, is zero.

It has been well established that Dwight considers this code done. Use this thread to convince him (and Stern) why this shouldn’t be the case. And no bashing means no Dwight bashing or Ghostbusters references.

I will post my thoughts for improvement later, but for me to become a buyer I need to see gameplay be expanded well beyond the “Press Your Luck” jackpot strategy and to integrate more character specific IP.

#2 4 years ago

Nice try, Dwight.

#3 4 years ago

Theme integration and usage of Munsters episode assets are my biggest gripe.
It shoots smoothly and I like the layout.

Yes, the bean counters with over aggressive BOM constraints are certainly visible in how they impacted the end result.

So for the code area needing improvement.
-over reliance on the custom recorded voice actor callouts. They are pretty decent, but became the main audio representations. At the sacrifice of the iconic dialogue used in the show by the actors we have come to love. There’s soo many iconic lines of speech in the show that could be focused on and sprinkled throughout. As it sits, we get treated to so very little it’s sad and upsetting. Which is directly tied into the underutilized show content and theme integration issue.

-code focuses a bit too much on “press your luck” mechanic. I’m good with it, but it needs to be supplemented with about 2 more side modes of general play. Not tied into Munster Madness. Loops for Eddie. Ramps for Marilyn. Both characters that seem to have gotten left a bit on the cutting floor. Loop combos for an Eddie mode. Either finding him in his hiding spots and or getting him to dinner table/breakfast. Ramps for Marilyn to go through all the poor BFs that ran away.
Maybe even a timed shot mode utilizing the whole playfield to get the family together for meals.

Where’s all the grandpa content??? Where’s the iconic Al Lewis laugh, shenanigans, iconic lines? Where’s Herman’s quips? Silly and sarcastic? As it sits now so much of the show was chopped up and is being served as end of game clips. A waste to have it just sitting there.
When you bash Herman, we should hear some of his quips , not just thuds and clanks.
There’s only one time that comes to mind where we really even hear grandpa. His super jackpot in the lab. Otherwise nothing. so sad

#4 4 years ago

I wish the owners of this game all the luck in the world. I really do hope this game gets some love from stern and many features are added.

This is 100% the reason why you don’t buy a game until the code is mature imo.

#5 4 years ago

The spinner needs to be implemented into the game better as of now it just seems like something that is there just to say it has a spinner.take the spinner away and nobody would even notice .

#6 4 years ago

I haven't really put a ton of time in on mine yet, but it would be nice to have a little bigger display of the zaps, super jackpots, and combos. Or at least leave the drag cutscenes inside the brown interface frame, rather than fill the entire screen, so we can look a little at those during that bit of downtime.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

The spinner needs to be implemented into the game better as of now it just seems like something that is there just to say it has a spinner.

Yeah but does it "sound cool?" THat's all peeps really care aboot these days, IE MEt Prem+

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah but does it "sound cool?" THat's all peeps really care aboot these days, IE MEt Prem+

Oooooo... man, the Met Premium spinner does sound cool. You have an open invite if you wanna come over to listen to it. Wait... what are we talking about here?

#9 4 years ago

I know that a lot of people that play it understand the rules and what they’re doing and they don’t like the game, i get that and i can understand and appreciate that but there are TONS of people who are talking shit about this game that have no clue how fun that it is also. All they know is “ i got to Munster Madness on my fourth game, the code is way too shallow”. Well thats is not what this game is all about and the fun is the super jackpots. The whole package all together is fun but getting to Munster Madness is a very small part of it. This game is also the perfect game to challenge your friends on because of the way the scoring is. You pretty much earn every point that you get. Its great fun.

#10 4 years ago

My issue with the Munsters is that the code doesn't really allow for much "magic". Hitting a Super Jackpot at 6x with all the modes finished should be a rewarding and exciting moment, but the countdown takes so damn long you've forgotten about hitting the shot by the time it booms and the lights go off. The code just needs more "oomph" to it.

#11 4 years ago

I missed variety in the code.
It's always the same clips you're seeing for doing the same thing...
Having such a bunch of footage available I would have thought the code would give some depth in that department but even in Level II the video is the same as level I which was for me a big turnoff.

Premium/LE is the only way to go on this game as the mini playfield is the highlight of it, which is pretty concerning actually.
Decided to pass on Munsters for location and bought a BK Pro

#12 4 years ago

Hmm... could be a little simpler I guess.

#13 4 years ago

Best way to evolve the code, pass the coding torch to Lyman. Might take a year or so but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. Then again no man really wants to pick up another mans bag of shit so to speak.

Code is fun but it can use a little more bedazzling to it, along with original cast call outs and more video clips from the shows after some of the first episodes of season one.

Make Dragula shot rewards a select-able choice, once you have chosen one it's no longer available until all choices were made then it resets. (like sub villains on BM66)

Spot is a STDM danger. So once you get spot and collect the SJP then have him play peek a boo for that time period (15-20 secs) for a bigger payout for bashing him, after all we're running the risk of STDM. More spot roar's we need to hear him.

Marylin Mode - although her ramp lights and once a shot is made there is a quick car peel away. Well make her mode start after shooting the ramp 3 or 4x etc... then have a video clip loaded and ready with boyfriend at the door waiting to see Herman meet the family etc... and run and jump fence with each shot. Do this 4 times etc and then collect Marylin SJP and lite Super pops. There are so many videos of different guys hauling ass there are at least 4 that can be used here for this mode. There are some great Pat Priest call outs that can be used as well.

Stacked Super Jackpot Meter - This on the GUI needs to be BIGGER!!! half of us old men can't see that tiny shit down there.

Eddie orbits - Okay we shoot the orbit x amount of times and collect Eddie SJP the end, well have us shoot the orbit x amount of times collect Eddie SJP and now have Eddie feed spot x amount of times in 15 secs for some additional jackpot rewards. Need some Eddie call out too.

For the love of God Grandpa wasn't a mute, when down in the cellar have some call outs going about potions, inventions something.... jeez.

#14 4 years ago

I would like to see them make SPOT worth going for every time I get spot early on in the game when he is worth nothing I just shoot safe shot cradle up and wait five seconds make safe shot again rinse and repeat so I can clear modes out to get to Munster madness faster which is boring.

#15 4 years ago

I get that the point of the game is about cashing in a giant super jackpot, but that doesn't make for an especially fun objective (to me). The fun should be in the modes and scoring features that build up the super jackpots. And they're just not that interesting.

Lots of other people have had some cool ideas on little things to improve that. I won't rehash them all, but I love ideas like a shot to Lily only collects a letter if you passed through the left inlane before shooting Lily, adding in more mini-multiball modes, etc... It's made me think about rules and objectives in a deeper way than I have with other games, mostly because it feels like the Munsters is the bare framework of a potentially fun game. Cashing in a giant super jackpot would be much more rewarding if I had a fun time getting to that point.

I don't care about the callouts and such because the theme does nothing for me. But if they're not going to give the game a serious rebalance on the risk/reward values on all the major shots and modes in the game, they could at least throw in a bunch of TV and audio clips for people who are into the theme.

I bet it won't be long till we see the Munsters layout again but with a whole different theme and lead coder. It's a solid, albeit fairly average, layout. It has the shots to be a fun game if the code was there.

#16 4 years ago

Maybe an extra ball or another multi-ball when you get so many spinners or so many loops. It would add another angle to the strategy. I also like the idea after completing Eddie loops having to find Eddie like the Gopher
Teed Off.

#17 4 years ago

Maybe add some episode modes. My biggest complaint is it's get all the characters, play an uninspired wizard mode, and then do it all again. I like games with multiple objectives and ways to score. Eddie also feels neglected and the only mode that feels exciting is Gramps and then only on Premium and LE. It's a stripped down Monster Bash. The layout is fine, the only shot I don't like is Lilly. Also too much emphasis on playfield multipliers.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Also too much emphasis on playfield multipliers.

That is one of the biggest things that makes this game so much fun!

#19 4 years ago

I’m going to check the list to see if Dwight has ever done significant changes to his code after its out. I don’t think that’s happened yet, so I wouldn’t think that would happen.

That’s not bashing Dwight or Stern. It is just how I accept things. I bought Game Of Thrones NIB because I thought it was fun. But I accepted that the game was what it was going to be when I got it. I’ve tried to do that with most games. I no longer buy hoping they will make it great. I buy it how it sits.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I’m going to check the list to see if Dwight has ever done significant changes to his code after its out. I don’t think that’s happened yet, so I wouldn’t think that would happen.
That’s not bashing Dwight or Stern. It is just how I accept things. I bought Game Of Thrones NIB because I thought it was fun. But I accepted that the game was what it was going to be when I got it. I’ve tried to do that with most games. I no longer buy hoping they will make it great. I buy it how it sits.

I wouldn't expect any big changes in the code of this game because from what i understand its not going to happen. There could be some things added possibly i guess but it wont be much if anything at all. The good thing is it doesn't need a lot to be great because it already is a great game. It has a basic code like an older game would have, you either like it or you dont. This game is loads of fun as is and will never leave my collection.

#21 4 years ago

There are 20 posts in here for ways for Stern to make improvements.

There must be at least 15 different changes that Stern should be doing. And that is just for this thread.

Someway, somehow, everyone who wishes for a change need to come together and compile a short list that Stern could at least have a chance to address.

5 or 6 items that you all could agree on.

Right now, Stern would not know who it would have to please and with the mile long list of items I have seen bandied about, somebody’s, or many bodies, oxen are going to be gored. And Stern will still get yelled at no matter what does.

You want something done with the spinner. Get a consensus.

You want different video than what Stern put up? Go buy the Munsters series and get specific with which scenes you want put in. What season? What episode? Which scenes should Stern get rid of?

You need a short list or you don’t have anything to work with.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This game is loads of fun as is and will never leave my collection.

Now that I’ve sold Tron, and I’m dropping off my LOTR at the new owners house this weekend, I’ve decided I can never say that again about any game. Every game has an expiration date. They come with an unknown number of fun plays that are there for you. And after you’ve played it that many times, you’re done with it. Fortunately for both Tron and LOTR it was in many thousands of plays (this was my second LOTR). But sentiment aside, eventually they all move out to make room for replacements. Don’t worry though, because the replacements also seem like they have thousands of games of fun pinball waiting for me.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Now that I’ve sold Tron, and I’m dropping off my LOTR at the new owners house this weekend, I’ve decided I can never say that again about any game. Every game has an expiration date. They come with an unknown number of fun plays that are there for you. And after you’ve played it that many times, you’re done with it. Fortunately for both Tron and LOTR it was in many thousands of plays (this was my second LOTR). But sentiment aside, eventually they all move out to make room for replacements. Don’t worry though, because the replacements also seem like they have thousands of games of fun pinball waiting for me.

Once you rip the band aid off, Ive rotated a lot of pins in and out. Its been a lot of fun. Everything does have an expiration date....well, except my ACDC

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Once you rip the band aid off, Ive rotated a lot of pins in and out. Its been a lot of fun. Everything does have an expiration date....well, except my ACDC

Yeah, I’ve had my AC/DC VE for two years, and I still feel like I’m just starting to get to know the game. I work from home, and that was my lunchtime pinball break game today.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You want different video than what Stern put up? Go buy the Munsters series and get specific with which scenes you want put in. What season? What episode? Which scenes should Stern get rid of?
You need a short list or you don’t have anything to work with.

I don’t think we need to be as specific as you do.

As for the video, we certainly don’t need to do that. Borg spent the better part of the year cataloging scenes and assets that could be used. Use them.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I would like to see them make SPOT worth going for every time I get spot early on in the game when he is worth nothing I just shoot safe shot cradle up and wait five seconds make safe shot again rinse and repeat so I can clear modes out to get to Munster madness faster which is boring.

Very much agreed. Spot mode is a speed bump currently. It needs to either be easier to start or worth a lot more points, at least for the blue combo jackpot round.

Really annoying when Mystery awards me "Add Time" when I have Spot going upstairs too

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:I don’t think we need to be as specific as you do.

You could be correct. You may have some room to slide a little bit.

But consider if Stern is reading all that is being discussed with Munsters. Some of the ideas/desires have merit. Some do not. Some desires are so far out in left field they are instant throw always.

Who should Stern listen to? Does Stern have shuffle through all of the ideas/desires and try to figure out whose ideas to bless and whose ideas get kicked to the curb?

What if Stern takes the approach to try and figure out which changes will make the most people happy? What if Stern guesses incorrectly? Are you old enough to remember Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Classic?; That was a huge marketing blunder from Coca-Cola.

Stern could do a survey; But Coca-Cola did surveys out the wazoo and still got it wrong.

Someway, somehow, all who are wanting changes made need to form a coalition, nominate a leader, decide on 5 to 10 items that Stern could address to “make things better”. 5 to 10 items (5 would be better) that a cohesive coalition could take to Stern and say “do these and everyone will be happy”.

Otherwise, you leave Stern shooting in the dark and also risking alienating those are are currently happy.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don’t think we need to be as specific as you do.
As for the video, we certainly don’t need to do that. Borg spent the better part of the year cataloging scenes and assets that could be used. Use them.

All these ideas:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-code-suggestions-for-dwight

#29 4 years ago

You have 63 posts in your thread; Some with multiple suggestions. I have not read through all of them.

Consider it as a resume for a job. The recruiter is going to give your resume about 5 seconds before your resume lands in the circular file.

Can you, will you, compile and condense all of those ideas into a one page resume? Can you decide which ideas in your thread will make the cut and whose ideas are not worthy of a second look?

For what you want to work, you must assume you will be working from a position of weakness; You must assume Stern is experiencing strong sales and does not want to give you the time of day.

Can you work your thread with those kinds of restraints? IMO, it is the only way you have any chance of making something happen.

#30 4 years ago

I really like the theme and the graphics design of this pin. I was old enough to watch the TV show when it was on all the time in the 70’s as “reruns”. But, I am not buying this pin based on the overwhelming negative feedback of the current state of code and display visuals. Hopefully, Stern will put additional effort into this.

#31 4 years ago

I really like my Munsters Pro. The theme, artwork and layout is awesome and the game is a lot of fun as well as challenging. BUT it could go from a really good game to an all time classic if Stern added more goals, modes and theme integration. Everything else is awesome, just bring the code to the same level!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

But, I am not buying this pin based on the overwhelming negative feedback of the current state of code and display visuals.

So you let other people decide for you whats good and what isn't? I got some bad news for you, you are cheating yourself out of a great pinball machine because you choose to listen to a handful of negative Nancys on Pinside. Your loss....

#33 4 years ago

I don't have a munsters, just played one quite a bit on route. I think the rules are alright, the modes need to be more valuable both with points and call outs/ video clips. As of now they just unlock supers, a weak amount of points and the same old callouts and clips.
More clips and callouts, variety!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Findlay, OH
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-would-you-like-to-see-the-munsters-code-evolve?hl=homebru and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.