(Topic ID: 183607)

How would YOU change Judge Dredd rule set?

By JediPimp

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8050708C-F269-460F-9633-19551793C777 (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

A common negative on Judge Dredd seems to be its rule-set, namely its lack of complexity. As 90's mode-based games go, its actually packed to the brim with features (9 modes + wizard mode, plus 3 main multiball modes with 2, 4 and 6 balls). The addition of the Super Game itself adds a whole new layer to the game (its like having two ROM chips on one table!). However, the consensus seems to be that Bally/Williams could have improved HOW you progress through the modes and added a more deeper rule-set. It has a LOT of shots and there are so many possibilities that the game could go.

How would YOU change the rule-set of Judge Dredd? Regulation Game and/or Super Game are both up for grabs.

Myself, I would change 2 major things...

- The Ultimate Challenge...I know it was common for Wizard modes of the time (everything is lit!) but it could have had a multi-stage element to it in order to defeat the Dark Judges once and for all. Maybe something involving hitting the crime scenes to weaken the power of the dark judges and then you have to hit the Air Raid ramp and aim for Judge Death on the J-U-D-G-E targets to end it all.

- A proper video mode...I know JD technically has 3 video modes (Bad Impersonator, Pursuit and Air Raid) but a PROPER video mode that is entirely played out on the DMD without ball action would have been nice. Maybe a battle with Mean Machine (I mean, he's on the slingshot plastic?)

Physical play field changes (wish list here)...

- Replace the advance crime level targets (3 of them), with 5 extra drop targets. Would add a whole new dimension to the game and have something else to shoot for with the left flippers

- Replace ? target with a vertical up kicker scoop, and put the ? target to replace one of the posts (maybe the right post of the left ramp?)

Any thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

I would add in an add-a-ball feature (the manual indicates the question mark target would add-a-ball in blackout mode, but it doesn't. Guess that was pre-production code ...) on blackout, and probably the other multi-ball modes as well. I'd have it be something a little more in-depth though, like several melt down hits then extra ball target, etc.

I'd add a grace period for ball saver, and bigger shots like the jackpots.

I think I'd have the modes not selectable via the mode select button. But I wouldn't want a set pattern either. Maybe the advance crime scene target could cycle next mode that was lit to start.

Physical wise, better lighting is needed for sure. Remove deadworld and add another more directly interactive toy. I would replace the air raid shot/mechanism somehow - maybe with a rotating cannon to shoot the blinking drop from the same area, air raid just feels useless as-is.

#3 7 years ago

I picked up a Dredd last October. The seller told me that the big subway tub under Deadworld doesn't do anything in the code. I have not researched it, but looks like it may have been possible it was supposed to do more than it does.

1 week later
#4 7 years ago

I think DemoMan handles would have been right at home on Dredd.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

A common negative on Judge Dredd seems to be its rule-set, namely its lack of complexity. As 90's mode-based games go, its actually packed to the brim with features (9 modes + wizard mode, plus 3 main multiball modes with 2, 4 and 6 balls). The addition of the Super Game itself adds a whole new layer to the game (its like having two ROM chips on one table!). However, the consensus seems to be that Bally/Williams could have improved HOW you progress through the modes and added a more deeper rule-set. It has a LOT of shots and there are so many possibilities that the game could go.
How would YOU change the rule-set of Judge Dredd? Regulation Game and/or Super Game are both up for grabs.
Myself, I would change 2 major things...
- The Ultimate Challenge...I know it was common for Wizard modes of the time (everything is lit!) but it could have had a multi-stage element to it in order to defeat the Dark Judges once and for all. Maybe something involving hitting the crime scenes to weaken the power of the dark judges and then you have to hit the Air Raid ramp and aim for Judge Death on the J-U-D-G-E targets to end it all.
- A proper video mode...I know JD technically has 3 video modes (Bad Impersonator, Pursuit and Air Raid) but a PROPER video mode that is entirely played out on the DMD without ball action would have been nice. Maybe a battle with Mean Machine (I mean, he's on the slingshot plastic?)
Physical play field changes (wish list here)...
- Replace the advance crime level targets (3 of them), with 5 extra drop targets. Would add a whole new dimension to the game and have something else to shoot for with the left flippers
- Replace ? target with a vertical up kicker scoop, and put the ? target to replace one of the posts (maybe the right post of the left ramp?)
Any thoughts?

Air Raid isn't a mode and Bad Impersonator has zero video elements. Zero. Pursuit is the only mode that utilizes timed video to pf shots. Adding a real video mode? Terrible idea. Why would you want that?

#6 7 years ago

There is always room for code improvement in my opinion but JD has a very deep ruleset already, at least for a B/W game. The best thing to update is to change the safe cracker and impersonator target from the middle scoop to different targets around the pf...that way it's a little more random and unpredictable. JD is awesome, it's the best Trudeau for me.

11 months later
#7 6 years ago

Anyone working on a JD ruleset upgrade?

We have DemoMan on steroids, this one seems like good candidate to upgrade too.

Crime Scenes are under used ruleswise but funny, tie them to the wizard mode somehow or give them their own better yet. Ultimate Challenge is lame, every shot 10m, change this. You could then create a new wizard mode only attained by getting the as yet uncreated Crime Scene wizard mode + Ult Chal. Call it MegaCity1 multiball maybe?

I have owned the game twice and always felt letdown by its overall finish codewise.

#8 6 years ago

Actually Bad Impersonator is a semi-video mode. It took me a while to notice but as the elvis impersonator moves from left to right of the stage on the DMD the drop targets move with him. It's subtle but once you see it you can't unsee it.

#9 6 years ago

whoops. missed a post.

#10 6 years ago

I would love a Judge Dredd on steroids a la Demolition Man.

It's a great game (with a few more lights and one or two mods) but a small tweak of the rules could make it a Super Game! Haha

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I picked up a Dredd last October. The seller told me that the big subway tub under Deadworld doesn't do anything in the code. I have not researched it, but looks like it may have been possible it was supposed to do more than it does.

I always wondered what that was for. Anyone? Is it supposed to light up? Mine never did.

#12 6 years ago

I heard there was supposed to be more to it as well, but looks like all it would really do is catch a ball that might have gotten away from the deadworld somehow.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I heard there was supposed to be more to it as well, but looks like all it would really do is catch a ball that might have gotten away from the deadworld somehow.

I believe you are correct, the big tub is there when the ball bounces in between the planet disc and JUDGE targets.

1 month later
#14 5 years ago

get rid of the progressive points on the left ramp shot. I have seen top players hit this shot over 50 times in a row,so its just chopping wood. change the muiltiball to the same as AFM so the muiltiball changes to the airaid shot after you have hit all the crime scenes for extra bonus and resets. Ultimate Challenge could be the same as IJ and hit all the switches to complete it.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I think DemoMan handles would have been right at home on Dredd.

Although this is about what rules I would change, I wish JD had a Lawgiver auto launcher. I’m not normally crazy about gun shooters, but this widebody screams for it IMO.

8050708C-F269-460F-9633-19551793C777 (resized).jpeg8050708C-F269-460F-9633-19551793C777 (resized).jpeg

2 years later
#16 3 years ago

The crime scene shots on Judge Dredd have pseudo color changing inserts. I really think these are criminally, pun intended, underutilized. If you swap out the white bulbs in these inserts to blue bulbs those shots could correspond with the Dark Judges: Mortis (Green), Fire (Orange), Fear (Blue), and Death (Red). I might suggest that when you spell "JUDGE" and shoot the ball into the open scoop you start a battle with one of these Dark Judges. With the ball in the scoop you can select the judge you want to battle with the Fire Buttons. The judge modes are similar, but I have mixed the rules up a little bit to keep things interesting.

///

Judge Mortis: All crime scene shots light up green. Every 20-seconds a random crime scene shot will start flashing. If you do not shoot the flashing shot in 15-seconds it will unlight and you can no longer score on that shot. If you can keep one or more shots lit for 120-seconds you will contain Judge Mortis. The center scoop will then be lit for a hurry-up jackpot, which will be multiplied by the number of crime scene shots still lit. Thematically, I'm thinking of this as Judge Mortis using his ability to rapidly decay things by touching them.

Judge Fire: All crime scene shots will light up orange. Every time you shoot a shot it goes out, however one random shot will relight every 25-seconds. It will start flashing then light solid. You must must extinguish all shots to contain Judge Fire. The center scoop will then be lit for a hurry-up jackpot. Thematically, I'm thinking of this as Judge Fire spreading fire to different location.

Judge Fear: One of the random crime scene shots will be flashing blue. You can control which shot is flashing with the Fire Buttons. Shoot the flashing shot and it will stay lit for the rest of the mode. Light each of the five shots to contain Judge Fear. The center scoop will then be light for a hurry-up jackpot. Thematically, I'm thinking of this as Judge Fear using locks to trap his victims. You are breaking the locks off at each location to avoid "Gaz(ing) into the face of Fear."

///

Successful or not, when a Dark Judge battle ends the next shot up the left ramp will lock a ball in the Deadworld. When three balls are locked the center scoop will start a four-ball multiball battle with Judge Death.

///

Judge Death (Mini Wizard Mode): A four-ball multiball battle. All crime scene shots will strobe red, green, orange, and blue. All successful shots will score a jackpot and eliminate one of the colors from that insert, but the final color will always be red. Removing the red color from an insert will score a super jackpot. During the mode, spelling “JUDGE” and shooting the ball into the open scoop will add-a-ball. This will restart a 6-second ball save plus the ball in the scoop will be held for 30 seconds. This can only be done once per multiball. The game returns to standard play when you are down to one ball.

#17 3 years ago

I like games that have something that can be collected outside of modes, beside just points. Again, I think the Crime Scenes Shots would work well. They could be used to qualify the ball locks, similar to diamonds in Congo, 4-scenes = Ball 1, 8-scenes = Ball 2, 12-scenes = Ball 3. Because we are already using the Deadworld for the Mini-Wizard Mode, described above, these would all be virtual locks. Each progressive multiball required one additional shot per lock...17, 22, 27...33, 39, 45...52, 59, 66.

There is also a special "Crime Spree" 6-ball multiball at 50-scenes. This would be a timed multiball where you are in continuous 6-ball play for 30-seconds. Draining a ball reduces the timer by 5-seconds and all orbit or ramp shots increase the timer by 1-second. Your multiball score is based exclusively on how many seconds you are able to keep the mode going with a maximum of 180-seconds. If you reach the end an automatic special is awarded.

The crime levels would still be used, but only score additional points: shots 1-5 are Warnings, shots 6-10 are misdemeanors, shots 11-15 are felonies, shots 15 or more are class x felonies. These reset each ball, so it's difficult to reach class x felonies. Since there is an increased focus on these shots, the callouts are only used for your first shot at each level, so shots 1 ... "Warning for Smoking", 6 ... "1 year for Flatulism", 11 ... "35 years for Armed Robbery", and 15 ... "Life for Murder". The rest of the shots could just use a less annoying generic sound effect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-would-you-change-judge-dredd-rule-set?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.